What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mullumbimby Madness, Elephant Killer and more...

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
I am looking for info on these varieties Mullumbimby Madness, Elephant Killer, Zamal, Oxacan Sativa.

I acquired them all from GN on seedbay.

Any help would be great :)

I want to work on a small breeding project for myself and these are what I have seeds to and what I'm going to work with:

Indica side:

Deep Chunk 20 seeds (I just planted 10 :) wish me luck)

Pine Tar Kush 20 seeds

Himalaya Gold 15 seeds

Sativa side:

Mullumbimby Madness 11 seeds

Elephant Killer 20 seeds

Zamal 20 seeds

Oxacan Sativa 50 seeds

I'm going to make more seeds of each before I start making crosses, and I'll be using multiple males and females to make seeds, I will not do the one male for a few ladies thing.

Thank you for any help!!! :)

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
That sounds like a nice little breeding project you got going. I think it's a good idea to grow them all out and make more seeds. This way you can get a feel on what you want to cross together. Good luck!

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
"This way you can get a feel on what you want to cross together"

That and so I can get a "feel" for who should go with who high and growing wise when doing the matchmaking thing.

Also I live in a dry area and I kinda want to promote drought tolerance :)

Thank you for posting :)

[EDIT] I hit my 10 posts for the day I'll be back in 24hrs :)

Last edited:
G

I've seen that Oaxacan growing wild in Southern Mexico. Its really an outdoor plant; I'm sure with training they can be ran indoors, but if uninhibited, they can grow to be tall and big yielders; they'd be perfect for an indica cross if you could find the right mom. The ones I saw had a golden sheer to them and the stone was killer for some landrace sativa. The hombres down there didn't give them much love...

D

Dalaihempy

hiya 420247 not posting to start drama but only to state facts you need to know as your going to work a line that isnt the real vertion.

Mullumbimby Madness you have isnt the real deal but more an unknown aussie sativa that came from a guy called Mullumbimbyman i belive who lived in the erea.

I belive it was removed by GN as people started to report hermies in the line Mman called MM and it was pulled from sale.

The guy Called MMan was a nice guy young guy i belive but the thing with the erea called Mullumbimby is lots call there out door sativas Mullumbimby Madness a bit like cali and there kush craze when the real Mullumbimby Madness is in the hands of few people last time i saw it was mid 80s.

Lots in the shire of byron bay wich Mullumbimby is part of call there unknow sats it as it helps with sales.

The closest thing to the real Mullumbimby Madness on the market is infact Neviles haze from mr nice.

like i sed not posting to couse drama only posting to give you some real info dont belive me pm GN and ask him why it was pulled from sale.

Mr. Brown

I had some beans a few years back that were HDF x MM (an old original clone).

Those came from and were made by a reliable source who had also given me an original M39 cut so I know they were legit.

Those were big, crazy potent plants!

jim dankness

whatever happened to that old aussie hippie kog that was selling seeds of the mullumbimby as 'old mother sativa'? i've been fortunate enough to smoke a few oz's of the OMS & loved it, truly some vintage genetics & quite reminiscent of the original haze.

D

Dalaihempy

There are so many good sativas in australia most are nameles tho and just called bush weed as there grown out doors but a few do have names of orgins sadly less grown now days and more do comercial lines.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hempy,
I´ve grown a few "aussie Bushman" gifted by Chaman.He got them from an aussie dude.Lovely plants and smoke.
20´thai said it was Mullum when he saw my pics @ OG.I hadn´t said yet what it was...
I´ve heard that one of the parents were MMadness :D

D

Dalaihempy

Raco said:
Hempy,
I´ve grown a few "aussie Bushman" gifted by Chaman.He got them from an aussie dude.Lovely plants and smoke.
20´thai said it was Mullum when he saw my pics @ OG.I hadn´t said yet what it was...
I´ve heard that one of the parents were MMadness :D

hiya Raco if its not avaluble here and not grown by many there if any at all in the erea it was created now days im not likeing the chances people are getting it threw the online community.

If your smokeing even a small joint of it your self and your not shaken by its potency you dont have it or close to it my friend.

You guys can belive me or not honestly im not cearing now days to much of what people think but for those that want the facts its not avaluble all that say they have it got the Mullumbimbyman vertion wich is not the real deal even marajanaman of emery fame in a vid was going on about it same aleged line from Mullumbimbyman.

Ask shanti he was one that worket on the real deal Mullumbimby Madness if you dont belive me.

Take a trip down and take a drive into the byron shire and i bet more than a few lay claim to haveing the real Mullumbimby Madness yet every ones vertion will be diffrent like in highlander mate there can only be one ;).

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
Thank you for all the help so far :)

http://www.hightimes.com/ht/grow/content.php?bid=178&aid=3

"Such is the health and vigor of the industry that the first local seed bank to go public, Australian Sativa Seeds (seedsdirect.to/breederlist.html) was recently launched in cyberspace. Their signature strain is the infamous Mullumbimby Madness, a complex conglomeration of Indo-Asian strains, mostly sativa. Unless you've got the strength of Goliath and the patience of Job, it's best grown in the great outdoors. Also in the Madman Genetics range are "Elephant Killer" and an "Outdoor Pack," while a compatriot who masquerades as the Penguin has "Aussie Bush," a classic sativa-dominant hybrid directly descended from the wild Hunter Valley strains first discovered in the mid-'60s along the Hunter River in and around Newcastle, NSW."

http://www.cannabisculture.com/budzine/budseries/series1034-0.html

Some pictures :) kinda big plants lol

http://nossl.strainbase.net/strains.php?strain_id=213

Anybody know what they said???

http://cannagenetic.phpwebhosting.com/cgi-bin/showstrain.pl?StrainChoice=nevilleshaze

"NH is a fantastic smoke!... well I've been lucky enough to come across some of Ozbuds fine herb... a year old and still really potent. This is some herb... really trippy, a different buzz to the Mullumbimby Madness which is equally strong but sort of clearer... the Nevilles is almost too trippy to believe. I'd say anyone interested in sativa's needs to grow this strain. You have to smoke it to know why! MullumMadman"

http://nossl.strainbase.net/strains.php?strain_id=214&tmp=default

Anybody know what they said??? Again lol

http://cannagenetic.phpwebhosting.com/cgi-bin/showstrain.pl?StrainChoice=elephantkiller

Elephant Killer

"Old Cambodian sativa with a slight hint of Skunk#1.Large graceful plants with fruity long fluffy buds.A large yielder outdoors in the right areas (Sub Tropical - Tropical) with a trippy energetic high.Flowering time outdoors 12 - 14 weeks.Indoors only for the most experienced gardeners looking for an exotic sativa. Flowering time indoors 14 weeks."

This is what I've found so far :)

Last edited:

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
Originally Posted by 420247
Is this true? And since I bought the seeds from you, could you help me with a lil info? Please!

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=83417

"Mullumbimby Madness you have isnt the real deal but more an unknown aussie sativa that came from a guy called Mullumbimbyman i belive who lived in the erea.

I belive it was removed by GN as people started to report hermies in the line Mman called MM and it was pulled from sale."

Can someone PM this to Gypsy for me? I cant use PM's yet I would like to hear his take on this, and if he could help me with more info :)

Thank you!

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I n I wanna hear more about this 'Elephant Killer' please folks... stats... the names always amaze us :D

... take ten and cross dem with a pink Kush ... call it the 'Pink Elephant' :biglaugh:

peace out
:joint: dLeaf

H

hard rain

I smoked several strains in the late 70s and 80s that were supposed to be Mullumbimby madness. They were all different. I don't believe there is any real strain called Mullumbimby madness, rather just a marketing ploy to help sell the weed.

"Such is the health and vigor of the industry that the first local seed bank to go public, Australian Sativa Seeds (seedsdirect.to/breederlist.html) was recently launched in cyberspace. Their signature strain is the infamous Mullumbimby Madness, a complex conglomeration of Indo-Asian strains, mostly sativa. Unless you've got the strength of Goliath and the patience of Job, it's best grown in the great outdoors. Also in the Madman Genetics range are "Elephant Killer" and an "Outdoor Pack," while a compatriot who masquerades as the Penguin has "Aussie Bush," a classic sativa-dominant hybrid directly descended from the wild Hunter Valley strains first discovered in the mid-'60s along the Hunter River in and around Newcastle, NSW."

If that wild Hunter valley strain still exists then it is probably descended from hemp that was brought into Australia in the 1800s. You would have to question its potency.

There is a reference to Elephant killer in John Birminghams book "Dopeland" but that is the first I've ever heard of it.

Australia had some fantastic strains 20-30 years ago but everyone stopped growing as indoor indicas and seed bank strains became popular. Pity.

D

Dalaihempy

hi hard rain the mm was real but few had the real variation i personally last saw it in mid 80s i had friends move up there and all they did was surf and grow.

Australia still has lots of great genetics the tricks knowing the right people as a lot of younger growers are only doing commercial available lines from urope mostly now but the older growers are still working there old lines out doors.

It grew wild in Queensland also.

There are places on the Queensland coast, some of them within a few miles
of Brisbane, where the long-leafed plant, Cannabis sativa, is to be seen
growing freely and in the districts further north it literally flourishes in many
places.
Not far from Flying Fish Point, six miles from Innisfail, and situated at the
mouth of the Johnstone River, is a patch of it which covers five or six acres.
Farther along the coast, near Babinda, it is to be seen in plenty - also around
Trinity Bay and near Port Douglas.
Much farther south, around Montville, it grows with more or less freedom, its
deadly qualities completely unsuspected by those who see it every day and
know it by one or the other of the vernacular names it possesses. Its
occurrence has been reported from Caloundra, lately become one of
Brisbane’s most fashionable holiday resorts, and it grows in profusion in parts
of Moreton and Stradbroke Islands.2

Dr Cumpston wrote back on May 31 and was suitably unimpressed by this
hysteria:

With reference to the front page from Smith’s Weekly of the 23 April 1938
containing a “warning from America” concerning a “New Drug that maddens
victims” obtainable from Indian Hemp and that the “plant grows wild in
Queensland”, I have to advise that the drug has been known for decades and
the hemp plant has been under cultivation in Australia for over 50 years.
Being a tropical plant - native of India and Western Asia - it has probably
grown wild (now acclimatised) more extensively in Queensland than in the
more temperate climates of New South Wales and Victoria . . . . When the
plant is cultivated for fibre production, it is harvested quite early, before the
pistillate flowers are fully developed, consequently little resin would be
obtainable from a crop grown only for fibre.5

Cannabis cigarettes, known variously as Joy’s Cigarettes or Cannadonna
cigarettes, were also widely advertised in colonial Australia as a cure for asthma.

Chapter 4
The Hunter Valley Crop

On the morning of November 16, 1964, startled residents of the city of Maitland,
180 km north of Sydney, awoke to the news that the Indian hemp plant — which the
newspapers called ‘the dreaded sex drug, marihuana’ — was growing wild along the
banks of the Hunter River.
A great mystery surrounded the find. The hemp plant is not believed to be a
native of Australia, yet the sheer size of the Hunter Valley crop seemed to indicate
otherwise. The plant was growing wild along a sixty-five kilometre stretch of the
Hunter River, and not as isolated clumps here and there, but in huge infestations
covering hundreds of hectares.
All that day, the radio and TV were filled with stories about the wild hemp crop.
The TV news showed workers with packs on their back, standing in huge paddocks
of marijuana, spraying furiously. All this lurid publicity about the ‘dreaded sex drug’
had a powerful effect on many of the young people of the area who immediately
organised expeditions to go out and pick some of the wild herb.
The time was ripe for the emergence of pot-smoking in Australia. It was 1964,
and the Beatles had just toured the country; pop icon, Bob Dylan, who turned on the
Beatles that year, would soon be singing “Everybody must get stoned!” For a whole
generation waiting to turn-on, the only question was: How? For those seeking the
answer, the Maitland Mercury revealed that “the plant did not need any special
preparation. Flowering tops of the female plant or the leaves could be cut and dried
and used immediately.”1
Those who took the hint and toked claimed that — unlike US ditchweed —
Hunter Valley weed was a good smoke. They were the first of many, a group of
people who became known in Australian marijuana folklore as ‘the Weed Raiders’
— the first pot smokers — legendary characters who came back from expeditions to
the Hunter with their sleeping bags full to the top and wild tales of monster plants
twelve feet high.
Both police statistics and popular folklore confirm that the wave of marijuana
smoking that was to engulf Australia in the next three decades had its origins here
amongst the weed raiders of the Hunter.
The Drug War against cannabis had its origins here too. The day after the story of
the Hunter Valley crop broke, Inspector Blake of the Maitland Police warned
“would-be marihuana hunters” that they would be charged with “possession of a narcotic”. As the Maitland Mercury reported: ‘Police fear that Maitland’s wild
marihuana will fall into the hands of narcotic agents or teenagers “out for kicks”’.2
Ultimately, the Customs Department would estimate that the hemp plants were
growing along a 65 km stretch of the Hunter River, reaching from Singleton in the
north to East Maitland. Amongst the area it inspected, Customs estimated that 200
hectares of the Hunter Valley were heavily infested with cannabis, and the largest
patch was over 40 hectares in size.
The Mercury’s rival, the Newcastle Morning Herald, showed a farmer standing
waist deep in a 5 hectare paddock of marijuana on his East Maitland property. It
reported: ‘Since the presence of the marihuana was made public the Department of
Agriculture office at Maitland has been receiving constant telephone calls from
people who want to know how to produce the drug from the plant.’
Like the Maitland Mercury, the Newcastle Morning Herald did not leave its
readers guessing for long. Having shown a good identifying photo of the plant, its
article next day informed readers that marijuana merely had to be dried before
smoking.
A grapevine of knowledge about good locations soon spread amongst the hip up
and down the coast, and by 1966, quite a few Newcastle lads had their trail bikes
revving along the back roads of the Hunter Valley, and were selling the herb along
Hunter Street ; all along the east coast of Australia from Noosa Heads to Swanson
Street, weed raiders spread this new joy.
One old surfer remembers: ‘What happened then changed many people’s lives,
and led to the hippie generation. The grass was the catalyst. Those in the know
turned many people on, and they turned on others. It spread very fast.’
For the local lads, the game of cops and weed raiders was a lot of fun. One
recalls: ‘You could pick the weed at many riverside locations, but getting back to the
highway with a sugar bag full of heads, and the cops on the prowl, could be pretty
nervy. Some guys used to fill their hub caps with grass. Others went quietly on
moonlit nights and took their time to pick pounds and pounds of the herb. From then
on, all our lifestyles started to change.’3
At that time there were many rumours amongst the surfers. One was that
marijuana had been observed growing in the flower beds of the Maitland Police
Station. Another had it that the farmers were being paid a bounty if they successfully
dobbed in a weed raider.
That this last rumour was true is confirmed both by the farmers themselves, and
by published reports of the Department of Customs and Excise. The first busts of
any size in Australia happened in the Hunter.
An old farmer recalls: ‘Some of these young blokes were pretty blatant. They
used to come up to me and ask, ‘Have you seen any of this marijuana round here?’ I
used to direct them to a paddock filled with stinking roger (a kind of wild marigold
that looks similar to marijuana). ‘There’s tons over there,’ I’d say. Some of the
others were a bit more sneaky, and pretended they were only fishing. Sure we told
the police if we saw them. We had young ones too, you know.’4

Origins of the Hunter Valley Crop

All the while, locals in the valley speculated about the mystery appearance of this
crop that had begun to transform their lives. Where had it sprung from? How long
had it been there?
According to the NSW Department of Agriculture, this was the first reported case
of marijuana growing in Australia! The plant was not indigenous to Australia, the
Department declared, and usually had to be cultivated. Yet the sheer size of the
infestation seemed proof enough that the infestation was natural and that no one was
deliberately cultivating the plant.
One theory was that the plants had grown from bird seed, which often contained
marijuana. Old timers could recall buying hemp seed for two shillings a bag back in
the 1920s. The Drug Squad discounted this, claiming that hemp seed in bird seed
mixtures was generally sterilised.
The most popular theory held that the plants originated from Chinese market
gardeners. That the Chinese should be blamed is predictable; Australia’s first drug
laws against opium smoking were fuelled by virulent anti-Chinese racism.
However, all these theories are wrong. The Hunter Valley crop was first
described by Dr Francis Campbell in his book A Treatise on the Culture of Flax and
Hemp published in Sydney in 1846. Dr Campbell writes:

I found it (hemp) growing wild in the greatest luxuriance on the sandy bank of
the river Hunter, near Singleton. But whether it had been originally introduced
into that part of New South Wales by some settler, or whether the plant be
indigenous, I have not yet been able to ascertain.5
Campbell obtained seed from this wild Australian hemp and conducted a growing
experiment. He was impressed both by the prolific growth rates and the size of this
wild crop. These impressions were repeated by the farmers of the 1960s who
claimed the plants had one of the fastest growth rates they had ever encountered.
Recent research suggests that the Hunter Valley crop originated with the Bell
brothers — Archibald Bell and William Sims Bell — the first white settlers of
Singleton in the Upper Hunter in 1823, who were friends of Dr Francis Campbell.
Their father, Archibald Bell, believed that Australia should be a colony for the
production of hemp and argued this case before the Bigge Royal Commission in 1819. Hemp was what the plant Cannabis sativa was called then; the word marijuana
was unknown in Australia before 1938. In those days the view that Australia should
be a hemp colony was widespread. Sir Joseph Banks, the ‘Father of Australia’, a
self-confessed hemp zealot, organised the seeds for the First Fleet and he put
Cannabis sativa at the top of the list. Hemp was at the heart of British naval power
in the Age of Sail. Each first rate man-of-war in the British navy needed 60 tons of
hemp for sails, uniforms, oakum and rope; and it took 320 acres (140 hectares) of
Cannabis sativa to produce this amount. The growing of hemp was, as Dr Francis
Campbell remarked, ‘a patriotic proposition’, and the British government
encouraged the hemp industry with bounties, grants of land, and free seed in all its
colonies.6
The early governors of the colony in New South Wales, naval men themselves,
‘set the example’ by growing substantial quantities. In 1803, Governor King wrote
glowingly to Sir Joseph Banks of the ten acres of Indian hemp he was growing in the
new colony:
From a pint of hemp-seed, sent from India in 1802, I have now sown 10 acres
for Government. A specimen of the rope is round the box that Cayley sends
you, which I have desired may be carefully preserved. It grows with the utmost
luxuriance, and is generally from 6 to 10 feet in height.7
Curiously, it seems that Governor King, who was interested in rope (Cannabis
sativa) not dope (Cannabis indica) was inadvertently growing dope, Cannabis
indica, or Indian hemp. At that time the British were ignorant of the botanical
differences between the two cannabis species, which are very similar plants. Because
Cannabis sativa seeds would not grow in India, Governor King was supplied with Indian hemp or Cannabis indica seeds. This would have produced poor quality rope,
but might explain why the Hunter Valley crop was ‘a good smoke’.
Whatever its species, the Hunter Valley crop was intimately linked with the
founding of Australia, and this historical importance alone should have guaranteed
its preservation. But marijuana prohibition had brought with it a kind of historical
amnesia about the importance of cannabis.
The day after the Hunter Valley crop was discovered, the NSW Department of
Agriculture announced it would immediately begin a campaign of eradication:
cannabis was classified as a noxious weed under the Local Government Act, and all
hemp plants were to be destroyed.
The Department confidently predicted that ‘the bulk of the infestation should be
cleared in a fortnight.’ In fact, it was to take five years. During the late 1960s, many
Sydney university students had their initiation into the world of the weed on summer
holiday jobs at the Department of Agriculture, clearing, burning, poisoning —exterminating in fact — a breed of wild cannabis which had made its home in
Australia for over 150 years.8

Sorry long post but i think some may find it interesting.

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
Dalaihempy said:
hiya 420247 not posting to start drama but only to state facts you need to know as your going to work a line that isnt the real vertion.

Mullumbimby Madness you have isnt the real deal but more an unknown aussie sativa that came from a guy called Mullumbimbyman i belive who lived in the erea.

I belive it was removed by GN as people started to report hermies in the line Mman called MM and it was pulled from sale.

like i sed not posting to couse drama only posting to give you some real info dont belive me pm GN and ask him why it was pulled from sale.

Thank you for the info BTW :) The hermi part worries me though, and I cant use the PM's, will you pm him for me? please!!!

hard rain said:
I smoked several strains in the late 70s and 80s that were supposed to be Mullumbimby madness. They were all different. I don't believe there is any real strain called Mullumbimby madness, rather just a marketing ploy to help sell the weed.

There is a reference to Elephant killer in John Birminghams book "Dopeland" but that is the first I've ever heard of it.

Australia had some fantastic strains 20-30 years ago but everyone stopped growing as indoor indicas and seed bank strains became popular. Pity.

To be honest I'm not real worried if it is or isnt the real "Mullumbimby Madness"

http://www.cannabisculture.com/budzine/budseries/series1034-0.html

I want the strain/cultivar in these pictures that is being called "Mullumbimby Madness" for the large plant size and a large root system, in my lil breeding project I'm trying to promote drought tolerance, I think a deep root system will help.

Dalaihempy said:
hi hard rain the mm was real but few had the real variation i personally last saw it in mid 80s i had friends move up there and all they did was surf and grow.

Australia still has lots of great genetics the tricks knowing the right people as a lot of younger growers are only doing commercial available lines from urope mostly now but the older growers are still working there old lines out doors.

It grew wild in Queensland also.

There are places on the Queensland coast, some of them within a few miles
of Brisbane, where the long-leafed plant, Cannabis sativa, is to be seen
growing freely and in the districts further north it literally flourishes in many
places.
Not far from Flying Fish Point, six miles from Innisfail, and situated at the
mouth of the Johnstone River, is a patch of it which covers five or six acres.
Farther along the coast, near Babinda, it is to be seen in plenty - also around
Trinity Bay and near Port Douglas.
Much farther south, around Montville, it grows with more or less freedom, its
deadly qualities completely unsuspected by those who see it every day and
know it by one or the other of the vernacular names it possesses. Its
occurrence has been reported from Caloundra, lately become one of
Brisbane’s most fashionable holiday resorts, and it grows in profusion in parts
of Moreton and Stradbroke Islands.2

Dr Cumpston wrote back on May 31 and was suitably unimpressed by this
hysteria:

With reference to the front page from Smith’s Weekly of the 23 April 1938
containing a “warning from America” concerning a “New Drug that maddens
victims” obtainable from Indian Hemp and that the “plant grows wild in
Queensland”, I have to advise that the drug has been known for decades and
the hemp plant has been under cultivation in Australia for over 50 years.
Being a tropical plant - native of India and Western Asia - it has probably
grown wild (now acclimatised) more extensively in Queensland than in the
more temperate climates of New South Wales and Victoria . . . . When the
plant is cultivated for fibre production, it is harvested quite early, before the
pistillate flowers are fully developed, consequently little resin would be
obtainable from a crop grown only for fibre.5

Cannabis cigarettes, known variously as Joy’s Cigarettes or Cannadonna
cigarettes, were also widely advertised in colonial Australia as a cure for asthma.

Chapter 4
The Hunter Valley Crop

On the morning of November 16, 1964, startled residents of the city of Maitland,
180 km north of Sydney, awoke to the news that the Indian hemp plant — which the
newspapers called ‘the dreaded sex drug, marihuana’ — was growing wild along the
banks of the Hunter River.
A great mystery surrounded the find. The hemp plant is not believed to be a
native of Australia, yet the sheer size of the Hunter Valley crop seemed to indicate
otherwise. The plant was growing wild along a sixty-five kilometre stretch of the
Hunter River, and not as isolated clumps here and there, but in huge infestations
covering hundreds of hectares.
All that day, the radio and TV were filled with stories about the wild hemp crop.
The TV news showed workers with packs on their back, standing in huge paddocks
of marijuana, spraying furiously. All this lurid publicity about the ‘dreaded sex drug’
had a powerful effect on many of the young people of the area who immediately
organised expeditions to go out and pick some of the wild herb.
The time was ripe for the emergence of pot-smoking in Australia. It was 1964,
and the Beatles had just toured the country; pop icon, Bob Dylan, who turned on the
Beatles that year, would soon be singing “Everybody must get stoned!” For a whole
generation waiting to turn-on, the only question was: How? For those seeking the
answer, the Maitland Mercury revealed that “the plant did not need any special
preparation. Flowering tops of the female plant or the leaves could be cut and dried
and used immediately.”1
Those who took the hint and toked claimed that — unlike US ditchweed —
Hunter Valley weed was a good smoke. They were the first of many, a group of
people who became known in Australian marijuana folklore as ‘the Weed Raiders’
— the first pot smokers — legendary characters who came back from expeditions to
the Hunter with their sleeping bags full to the top and wild tales of monster plants
twelve feet high.
Both police statistics and popular folklore confirm that the wave of marijuana
smoking that was to engulf Australia in the next three decades had its origins here
amongst the weed raiders of the Hunter.
The Drug War against cannabis had its origins here too. The day after the story of
the Hunter Valley crop broke, Inspector Blake of the Maitland Police warned
“would-be marihuana hunters” that they would be charged with “possession of a narcotic”. As the Maitland Mercury reported: ‘Police fear that Maitland’s wild
marihuana will fall into the hands of narcotic agents or teenagers “out for kicks”’.2
Ultimately, the Customs Department would estimate that the hemp plants were
growing along a 65 km stretch of the Hunter River, reaching from Singleton in the
north to East Maitland. Amongst the area it inspected, Customs estimated that 200
hectares of the Hunter Valley were heavily infested with cannabis, and the largest
patch was over 40 hectares in size.
The Mercury’s rival, the Newcastle Morning Herald, showed a farmer standing
waist deep in a 5 hectare paddock of marijuana on his East Maitland property. It
reported: ‘Since the presence of the marihuana was made public the Department of
Agriculture office at Maitland has been receiving constant telephone calls from
people who want to know how to produce the drug from the plant.’
Like the Maitland Mercury, the Newcastle Morning Herald did not leave its
readers guessing for long. Having shown a good identifying photo of the plant, its
article next day informed readers that marijuana merely had to be dried before
smoking.
A grapevine of knowledge about good locations soon spread amongst the hip up
and down the coast, and by 1966, quite a few Newcastle lads had their trail bikes
revving along the back roads of the Hunter Valley, and were selling the herb along
Hunter Street ; all along the east coast of Australia from Noosa Heads to Swanson
Street, weed raiders spread this new joy.
One old surfer remembers: ‘What happened then changed many people’s lives,
and led to the hippie generation. The grass was the catalyst. Those in the know
turned many people on, and they turned on others. It spread very fast.’
For the local lads, the game of cops and weed raiders was a lot of fun. One
recalls: ‘You could pick the weed at many riverside locations, but getting back to the
highway with a sugar bag full of heads, and the cops on the prowl, could be pretty
nervy. Some guys used to fill their hub caps with grass. Others went quietly on
moonlit nights and took their time to pick pounds and pounds of the herb. From then
on, all our lifestyles started to change.’3
At that time there were many rumours amongst the surfers. One was that
marijuana had been observed growing in the flower beds of the Maitland Police
Station. Another had it that the farmers were being paid a bounty if they successfully
dobbed in a weed raider.
That this last rumour was true is confirmed both by the farmers themselves, and
by published reports of the Department of Customs and Excise. The first busts of
any size in Australia happened in the Hunter.
An old farmer recalls: ‘Some of these young blokes were pretty blatant. They
used to come up to me and ask, ‘Have you seen any of this marijuana round here?’ I
used to direct them to a paddock filled with stinking roger (a kind of wild marigold
that looks similar to marijuana). ‘There’s tons over there,’ I’d say. Some of the
others were a bit more sneaky, and pretended they were only fishing. Sure we told
the police if we saw them. We had young ones too, you know.’4

Origins of the Hunter Valley Crop

All the while, locals in the valley speculated about the mystery appearance of this
crop that had begun to transform their lives. Where had it sprung from? How long
had it been there?
According to the NSW Department of Agriculture, this was the first reported case
of marijuana growing in Australia! The plant was not indigenous to Australia, the
Department declared, and usually had to be cultivated. Yet the sheer size of the
infestation seemed proof enough that the infestation was natural and that no one was
deliberately cultivating the plant.
One theory was that the plants had grown from bird seed, which often contained
marijuana. Old timers could recall buying hemp seed for two shillings a bag back in
the 1920s. The Drug Squad discounted this, claiming that hemp seed in bird seed
mixtures was generally sterilised.
The most popular theory held that the plants originated from Chinese market
gardeners. That the Chinese should be blamed is predictable; Australia’s first drug
laws against opium smoking were fuelled by virulent anti-Chinese racism.
However, all these theories are wrong. The Hunter Valley crop was first
described by Dr Francis Campbell in his book A Treatise on the Culture of Flax and
Hemp published in Sydney in 1846. Dr Campbell writes:

I found it (hemp) growing wild in the greatest luxuriance on the sandy bank of
the river Hunter, near Singleton. But whether it had been originally introduced
into that part of New South Wales by some settler, or whether the plant be
indigenous, I have not yet been able to ascertain.5
Campbell obtained seed from this wild Australian hemp and conducted a growing
experiment. He was impressed both by the prolific growth rates and the size of this
wild crop. These impressions were repeated by the farmers of the 1960s who
claimed the plants had one of the fastest growth rates they had ever encountered.
Recent research suggests that the Hunter Valley crop originated with the Bell
brothers — Archibald Bell and William Sims Bell — the first white settlers of
Singleton in the Upper Hunter in 1823, who were friends of Dr Francis Campbell.
Their father, Archibald Bell, believed that Australia should be a colony for the
production of hemp and argued this case before the Bigge Royal Commission in 1819. Hemp was what the plant Cannabis sativa was called then; the word marijuana
was unknown in Australia before 1938. In those days the view that Australia should
be a hemp colony was widespread. Sir Joseph Banks, the ‘Father of Australia’, a
self-confessed hemp zealot, organised the seeds for the First Fleet and he put
Cannabis sativa at the top of the list. Hemp was at the heart of British naval power
in the Age of Sail. Each first rate man-of-war in the British navy needed 60 tons of
hemp for sails, uniforms, oakum and rope; and it took 320 acres (140 hectares) of
Cannabis sativa to produce this amount. The growing of hemp was, as Dr Francis
Campbell remarked, ‘a patriotic proposition’, and the British government
encouraged the hemp industry with bounties, grants of land, and free seed in all its
colonies.6
The early governors of the colony in New South Wales, naval men themselves,
‘set the example’ by growing substantial quantities. In 1803, Governor King wrote
glowingly to Sir Joseph Banks of the ten acres of Indian hemp he was growing in the
new colony:
From a pint of hemp-seed, sent from India in 1802, I have now sown 10 acres
for Government. A specimen of the rope is round the box that Cayley sends
you, which I have desired may be carefully preserved. It grows with the utmost
luxuriance, and is generally from 6 to 10 feet in height.7
Curiously, it seems that Governor King, who was interested in rope (Cannabis
sativa) not dope (Cannabis indica) was inadvertently growing dope, Cannabis
indica, or Indian hemp. At that time the British were ignorant of the botanical
differences between the two cannabis species, which are very similar plants. Because
Cannabis sativa seeds would not grow in India, Governor King was supplied with Indian hemp or Cannabis indica seeds. This would have produced poor quality rope,
but might explain why the Hunter Valley crop was ‘a good smoke’.
Whatever its species, the Hunter Valley crop was intimately linked with the
founding of Australia, and this historical importance alone should have guaranteed
its preservation. But marijuana prohibition had brought with it a kind of historical
amnesia about the importance of cannabis.
The day after the Hunter Valley crop was discovered, the NSW Department of
Agriculture announced it would immediately begin a campaign of eradication:
cannabis was classified as a noxious weed under the Local Government Act, and all
hemp plants were to be destroyed.
The Department confidently predicted that ‘the bulk of the infestation should be
cleared in a fortnight.’ In fact, it was to take five years. During the late 1960s, many
Sydney university students had their initiation into the world of the weed on summer
holiday jobs at the Department of Agriculture, clearing, burning, poisoning —exterminating in fact — a breed of wild cannabis which had made its home in
Australia for over 150 years.8

Sorry long post but i think some may find it interesting.

Dont be sorry, I'm glad you posted this, Thank you for the help and info :)

Last edited:

Goldenseed

Hey 420247!!!

Nice project that you are startin there.Where exactly did you acquire those Oaxacan Seeds?I know you mentioned that they are from GN but at this time theres only a Laotian Sativa and a Thai Stick Sativa available from the GN Collection.
You would do me a very very big favor if you tell me where i can get some of those seeds as im on the hunt for Oaxacan seeds since a long time.....i would appreciate it also very much if you tell me where i can get those "elephant killers".I hope you will be successfull with your breedings....good luck!!!

Thank you very much in Advance...have a good one Goldenseed :wave:

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
Goldenseed said:
Where exactly did you acquire those Oaxacan Seeds?I know you mentioned that they are from GN but at this time theres only a Laotian Sativa and a Thai Stick Sativa available from the GN Collection.
You would do me a very very big favor if you tell me where i can get some of those seeds as im on the hunt for Oaxacan seeds since a long time.....i would appreciate it also very much if you tell me where i can get those "elephant killers".I hope you will be successfull with your breedings....good luck!!!

Thank you very much in Advance...have a good one Goldenseed :wave:

I got the Elephant Killer from the GN Collection back in '03 or '04 :)

The Oxacan Sativa were freebees GN was sending out

I got all of these from the GN Collection back in '03 or '04

Deep Chunk
Pine Tar Kush
Mullumbimby Madness
Elephant Killer
Zamal

Take care :)

If anybody would be so kind, can somebody PLEASE PM GN for me? He has alot of the info I'm looking for, PLEASE!!!!!!!

Who came up with this 50 post thing? This sucks! :( for me anyway :(

B

Bluebeard

I remember reading somewhere that the Oaxacan freebies aren't related to the Oaxacan landrace, rather it was a strain gypsy had obtained from a student in Oaxaca. I grew the Elephant killer and Aussie Bush. I have a picture of the Elephant Killer in veg somewhere around. I will try to dig it up. The Aussie Bush was a bit disappointing, but the Elephant Killer wasn't bad. Been a while, hard to remember the details.

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
Bluebeard said:
I remember reading somewhere that the Oaxacan freebies aren't related to the Oaxacan landrace, rather it was a strain gypsy had obtained from a student in Oaxaca.

YES!!! I do remember that :) I wish GN would post some info on these I know he has alot to share :) I like to work off of others experiences, kind of a base for me to start from. :)

Bluebeard said:
I grew the Elephant killer and Aussie Bush. I have a picture of the Elephant Killer in veg somewhere around. I will try to dig it up. The Aussie Bush was a bit disappointing, but the Elephant Killer wasn't bad. Been a while, hard to remember the details.

Please tell me all you can remember about the Elephant killer, growing, smoking, likes and dislikes.

I'm looking forword to seeing your pictures :)

Thank you for posting :)

Latest posts

Latest posts