What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
mofeta said:
Fallbrook has one of the best climates in the world for agriculture, and cannabis grows to perfection there with almost no effort.
I won't argue whether or not North San Diego has 'one of the best climates in the world for agriculture' - let's say that this is a true fact. It's not but I'll leave that on the table.

While the 'climate' may be perfect - the other factor needed to grow plants is missing, i.e. water. Southern California does have great climate. It's also reclaimed desert, i.e. you have to bring in water to feed the plants.

Water was the main reason that the 100's & 100's of acres of avocado groves in and around Fallbrook that had been in production since the 1930's were destroyed in the late 1980's and the lands sold to real estate developers. Production of avocados has been in Chile since with cuttings of the famous Haas avocado tree sent down there.

The BOEL was not a group of hippies. They were a criminal enterprise so it's highly unlikely that they would have set up shop in Fallbrook with an announcement that "We're here! We're the Brotherhood!" - a few were stretched out enough on cocaine to have done that perhaps, but not too many I would think.

CC

Last edited:

bigherb

Veteran
marijuanamat
o.haze looks sick real ill lookin shit brotha.haze 4 days love too see a pic of som dry nugs.a smoke report would be exciting

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
outlawed420 said:
A factually inaccurate statement.

Meaning what? I meant that it is hard to maintain a Cannabis variety from seed only and that the BOEL varieties are not around in pure form anymore. If I am wrong then what variety is still around that was started/created by BOEL?
Of the maybe 500+ varieties available today from seed sellers, maybe a few are maintained by seed lines, all the rest 490+ are maintained with clones. The reasons are simple, to maintain a Canbnabis variety by seeds only requires much bigger yearly grows, while from clones requires only two plants.

-SamS

Last edited:

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
bigherb said:
marijuanamat
o.haze looks sick real ill lookin shit brotha.haze 4 days love too see a pic of som dry nugs.a smoke report would be exciting

I don't feed my haze much,i only feed her seaweed extract,molasses a little bio-bizz bloom , plus she's only in a 2 liter pot so i could keep the height in check.She's not got to long to go so i've stopped feeding her bio-bizz bloom and just give her alittle seaweed extract and molasses until harvest.

C

Cinderella99

Strain preservation though seed, North County, etc.

Strain preservation though seed, North County, etc.

Hi folks,

Sam, I didn't thank you for your answer to my post. Thank you. That's interesting. I also agree that seed is being used less and less to preserve strains and clones are now ubiquitous... It's rare to find anything true breeding today in seed form, never mind a (real) IBL in seed form. Emery was the king of slinging these exotic seed concoctions, although BCSeed had pretty true NL5 for a while.

Interesting about the BOEL....I've been living with spitting distance of all this and didn't know til now..I live between Fallbrook and Laguna...and yes, Hempy, California is all that and a bag of chips (please reference wink icon at top of thread that I tried unsuccessfully to insert here)

joaquin386

Hey Sam,

One thing on the section of your evaluation Sheet:

20 Yield Sun___Artificial___ (check one)
_____1000 Grams per Square Meter-10
_____750 Grams per Square Meter-6
_____500 Grams per Square Meter-3
_____250 Grams per Square Meter-1
Yield____________________
Number of plants per Square Meter________

You only assign 10 points to these section, but there are other 10 points that doesn't appear. Where they in another section? I am finish with the Web Interface except for these small issue which I would like to solve.

Many thanks for your time.

bigherb

Veteran
mat
damn that haze is fine lookin.shit now thats haze big up .cant wait for a smoke report .

originalll

Can seedlings be selected by "Early Onset Aroma?

Can seedlings be selected by "Early Onset Aroma?

Sam, do Haze and other Sativa dominant seed lines display the same early onset aroma's as many of the Indica crosses?

When many seeds are available, could the easiest method to thin the ranks be culling every seedling that can't pass a "sniff test"? Is “early onset aroma” a useful selection tool when making filial breeding decisions?

Do seedlings with no aroma, or smelling like a haystack or lawn, have a smaller likelihood of being as strong, or stronger, or better medicine, than its’ sibling seedlings that smell like a skunk, pine tree, orange, or mango?
( D.J. Short and others have noted that some smells are linked to “good” breeding results, while other aromas often result in negative outcomes. )

We're aware of one experiment on F-3 crosses that tested for scent several times between 4 and 8 inches tall. About 18% - 20% of the seedlings expressed either a “positive” smell, or a general "stink". The rest had either no aroma, or smelled of grass and hay. ( Unfortunately, when those selected seedlings were sexed and seperated, the male pollen was saved, but the females, intended to produce another batch of seeds, were lost to "unforseen circumstances". Outdoor agriculture has it's drawbacks )

What's your opinion? Have you ever tried this method? If 80% of the seeds can be eliminated, it could prove to be a great filial breeding shortcut.

Or, is this just another dead-end that sounds reasonable but isn't a reliable strategy in the real world of breeding or botany?

Thanks for your help.

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
I've noticed original haze doesn't smell much when you rubb the stem in seedling/early veg stage apart from a slight grass/hay aroma .

xOOx

hmm, no smell at all in veg?

that's my next quest i think, a stinkless hazeish vegger that has some potent final buds! super low odor.

the piffy girl i've been growing started stinking at like 2-3 inches tall from seedling, and the smell just got stronger when it got more and more leaves. just standing still and not being bothered it emits skunk spray odor within it's general area, but stem rubs gives you a more intense nose tingling scent, kinda like a mix of skunk piss/fresh wet celery and menthol (nose in a jar of vicks vapor rub) on your finger. sort of like a cool peppermint patty. it changes though as it gets bigger, it constantly changes, but it never goes away, lol. just gets stronger.

this is a good question, i'm curious too - does early stink = good/better final result?

is there a stinkless variety that kicks ass?

what do your other veggin strains smell like, or you only grow original haze?

xoox

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I can smell a vegetative Haze, but I do not use smell of vegetative plants to assist breeding. Now smells of flowering plants is a different matter. But to be honest it is not the smell as much as how the smells effect the high, when smoked.

-SamS

xOOx

hmm!

you think that the different smells effect the high, because of user-subjectiveness to thinking 'wow this smells so good, it's got to be good!', or the fact that the presense of certain canibinoid combinations emit consistant disctinct odors? what exactly does haze smell like, indescribable? i've heard sandlewood, etc. i still have no idea what this sandlewood smells like. lol.

this is interesting, because i've mentioned before when she is in full bloom, the odors are similar to veg odors, just much more intense. sometimes rotten to sweet/sour to garlickish/skunky i guess, n then peppery spicey, and the fumes are without a doubt intoxicating. roughing a cola a bit and sniffing a few times and you are left with a mild euphoric sensation that may last 30-40 minutes (like valium feeling, not high or stoned, just relaxed and happy) and generally will leave you in an uplifted mood for hours and hours afterwards, just from the flowering fumes! most will probably think this is bs, but it does effect me in this way. i've sniffed it and walked away trying not to think about it, to see if it's real or in my head, and i always get the same sensations afterwards. i can take a few good sniffs in the morning, and off too work with the plastic smile feeling like a summers day at the beach. just feeling really good inside.

i always thought the stink was to ward off animals or bugs that may decide to have a munch on the plant in the wild. a rabbit or deer takes one sniff, don't eat that one! it's POISON. lol. the fumes must contain some type of warning signals to predators. keep away! whatever she is, a skunk is in her for sure to some degree. and skunks stink for a reason!

xoox

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
I love to rub stems. When I was a lil kiddo I used to rub the stems of my fathers plants that were on a window in the attic, small seedlings but just cant forget the smell. Plants were from colombia, too bad the old guys dont have those anymore. My haze mother smells a lot like those plants...I mean her stem..lol. OHaze x ST#3 thats a thread about a cross I made using Undegrounds ST#3 male, a very vigorous male that hasnt freaked, hermied or nothing and is a smelly guy anyway, my OHaze is the mother...UG is testing the f1 cross right now, lets see what happens..

Last edited:

bigherb

Veteran
i hav som ssh n mmg in veg n its stank im hopin ther both ladies.the ssh is a stronger smell but mmg seems to hav a bit more hazy smell.

does a strong smell in veg mean more likely a female?

wen i think of haze smell i first think incense then catpiss n spicey then sour n then soap som is floral som has an astrigent quality sometimes even dark chocolate but first thought is def frankincense. [sandalwood] the wood of s.asian evergreen burned as incenese.

loyalty7

big herb your talking about that heights haze, I grew the mmg and it was hazey but not in the way ny haze is it had that mango fruity haze smell that they talk about in amsterdam and other places.mmg is definately a good solid strain with moderate yield, I just got some bangi haze and am hopeing to find a frank's smelling pheno. alot of people consider haze that fruity type smell, not that sandalwood, frankies, basement smelling haze. If you grew out any strains that have that heights smell let me know, very much appreciated
peace
boogie down

loyalty7

one more thing big herb from what i've been told and my short experience males stink more, but i hope i'm wrong in your case

bigherb

Veteran
loyalty
thx brother best of luck finding da father in bangi .wats the makeup of this bangi?
no grows from uppies but a needle in da haystack surprising single seed im holding 4 a diff setup

.i hav the 12xweek pheno pack of mmg da more hazy pheno i only popped 4 so im hoping 4 aleast 2 keepers .honestly ive never com across a fruity haze in da hood except a weak purple haze which was a dark grapey taste and bluberry haze which was a def cross but was ill som of the sicker haze ive blazed, real bluberry wit a hazey backround .with the exception of amsterdam mango haze n cannalope haze ,but most of da dam hazes seem soapy to me n weak in comparison to da uptowns.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts