What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Ras Pablo

Veteran
Sam_Skunkman said:
A 8-10 week Haze could be made. It would require an Original Haze that was a bit faster, crossed with a very early Sativa like my S African Durban Poison. Then select the F1's for Haze taste & smell & potency and as fast flowering as possible and make F2's. If you grow out enough F2's you will find one that is Haze but fast flowering. But it may take a few hundred or even thousands of plants to find what you really want, a fast flowering Haze.
I made Original Haze X early Sativa crosses, but did not make the F2's I just was playing around to see what happened. They were a bit earlier, between the O Haze and the Sativa, but not a super fast Haze like you want. It is not so hard to do, I have even made O Haze F2 hybrids that looked and tasted and smelled like O Haze but they had no THC, I crossed them with a very very low THC variety to see what happened and in the f2's I found plants that everyone who saw them would swear were potent Haze, but they had almost no THC or Cannabinoids. They did smell and taste great.

-SamS

Very interesting the last thing you write, They did smeel and taste great..but no cannabinoids?? So a headache... :badday:

Thank's a lot for post all of this great information!!!

S

socioecologist

Sam--someone else has already asked this, but could you give us some info on the HazexSkunk #1 freebies at seedbay? I just got some and was stoked to say the least; is this your version of Kali Mist? Love to hear more about this cross. I'll take my response off the air,

E

ElectroSticky

i´ll second that ...

please sam , some info on these o.haze X skunk1 ...maybe some pics :muahaha:

thanks

:wave:

Limeygreen

Veteran
If I'm not mistaken the skunk haze crosses were done before Kali Mist. I'm not sure how much lineage can be traced on Kali Mist either, would be nice to know though.

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
Kali mist supposedly comes from cambodian,thai,colombian and afghani indica lines,as far as i know theres no kerela/south indian in her gene's but don't take this a fact,just an educated guess.

D

Dalaihempy

I don't think any real info has been posted on what Kali Mist is ever by Simon.

I have some kali mist 1996 vintage and i can tell you this when i first smoked it i thort this has to be an Asian hybreed the smoke from this vintage was like smoking pure old school thia amazing long lasting power full high no indica ditected in the smoke but when you look at it growing it don't act like a typical haze hybrid or a heavy sativa hybrid would a very unique strain one id recommend to any one that is a sativa head.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I have a speculation then. If a Thai and Colombian were used, could it not be the same or a similar Thai/Colombian dominant Thai like was used in Neville's Haze or Afghan Haze? Then Cross that with a Cambodian, Laotian etc and viola you come to Kali Mist?

D

Dalaihempy

Limeygreen we can say it may have this in it or that but only the breeder really knows but it was nothing like neviles haze or like afganix haze.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Sam

I've got a question about the 'old days' in the late 1970's in California if you might be able answer.

In and around Fallbrook, California (North San Diego County) beginning around 1976 or 1977 there started showing up in Laguna Beach down to San Diego the very first seedless pot. None of it had names yet but we would label the various jars with names like 'Christmas Tree' or 'Sweet Lemon' - you get the idea.

From what I was told by people associated with the BOEL in Laguna Beach at the time was that the Fallbrook crowd was working with genetics the BOEL had brought out of Afghanistan, India, Mexico, etc. and seeds from a consortium of Thai stick importers out of San Diego.

The Thai sticks came in 10 kg. packs with 9 kg. being thai sticks and the rest was stickless thai buds - dealer's choice type of product. Even then the street price was $10.00 per gram - 30 years ago. Amazing.

I never knew what happened to those strains that they were working on and was curious if you had any information about their attempts at breeding.

RE: Purple Sativas

As early as 1968, I remember buying bags of 'purple pot' up and down the Baja California peninsula wherever surfers were hanging out & 'getting tubed' as the expression goes. The pot we bought from the Mexican teens came in all shades of purple, violet, blue and everything in between. It was very strong - much stronger than the usual stuff in and around Laguna Beach except for the hash dealers that had the killer pot out of Mexico and even Jamaica from time to time.

Then again, Laguna Beach had been the epicenter of the importing of black Afghani in the late 60's and early 70's. That was about the time that the BOEL had a business connection with Timothy Leary in a rather unusual head shop in Laguna Beach called 'Mystic Arts World' where some of the biggest players in the hash deal hung out and played.

Weird times.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Peace

CC

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I smoked some BOEL pot back in the late 60's but never saw any strains that were maintained in any way. I suspect they were lost or maybe used to make hybrids. This is pre-clones and strains had to be maintained by seed lines, and that is a lot more work and a lot harder. That is why we don't see them any more.

-SamS

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
SamS

I grew out some of the BOEL seeds, specifically the Afghani Indica strains, in the late 1980's with very limited success.

Finding a 'keeper' was more challenging that one might have thought. All of the female plants showed massive resin levels and very strong structure but at the end of the day the 'punch' just wasn't there in the overwhelming majority of plants.

They looked great but that was about it for the most part.

BTW - a documentary came out in March about the BOEL and was produced by a son of one of the BOEL associates. It called "Orange Sunshine: The Story of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love" and there's a 10-minute trailer you can watch here

Here's an article that was published in an Orange County weekly. It's titled "Lords of Acid" and does a good job of describing how much of the Afghani hash & some seeds found their way to the states.

Thanks for your answer.

CC

mofeta

Veteran
Clackamas Coot said:
In and around Fallbrook, California (North San Diego County) beginning around 1976 or 1977 there started showing up in Laguna Beach down to San Diego the very first seedless pot.

From what I was told by people associated with the BOEL in Laguna Beach at the time was that the Fallbrook crowd was working with genetics the BOEL had brought out of Afghanistan, India, Mexico, etc. and seeds from a consortium of Thai stick importers out of San Diego.

I used to visit my uncle in Fallbrook every summer in the 70's. At home we smoked only Mexican, some of which was very good. The Fallbrook bud my uncle had was VERY good, though. They were growing seedless as early as '74 (maybe earlier, I first saw it in '74). I would take samples home and blow my friends minds with it.

Until '78 it was all sativas, from all over the world. By 1982 they were mostly sat/ind hybrids and pure indicas, all very good, but pure sativas were becoming rarer.

Fallbrook has one of the best climates in the world for agriculture, and cannabis grows to perfection there with almost no effort. A lot of the biggest plant nurseries in the country are in Fallbrook. It is also surrounded by vast expanses of rugged, remote, brushy land in which to hide your plot (used to be, anyway). My uncle had lived there his whole life, and knew a lot of the growers. Most were locals, and they got their seeds from anyone and everyone. They all knew each other, but there was no formal organization I was aware of. Camp Pendleton Marine Base is right next door, and the troops brought good seeds from overseas (they would also buy up as much as the growers could grow). There were outsiders growing there too ("those damn hippies",maybe some of them were BOEL, but I never heard that name), and they brought seeds too. There was no single group or organization responsible. It was just the best spot in southern Cal (and therefore the world) to grow weed, and people did, with incredible success.

If I had all the seeds that ended up in my uncle's ashtray, I would be a happy man!

D

Dalaihempy

mofeta said:
It was just the best spot in southern Cal (and therefore the world)

What is it with some of you cali guys yes you got good weather so does many other places were i live my weathers here is just like southern Cali but do you see us here saying we have the best mj or best weather no man please this cali self stroking movement needs to stop cali like other areas many other areas would be growing didly if it was not for imported seed.

This type of remark only makes cali growers look aregent which most are not and would see it as i and many others also see it.

I don't live in the us and i can name places id bet would be as good to grow mj as cali..... Florida / Georgia .....to name but a few.

G

Sam_Skunkman said:
I smoked some BOEL pot back in the late 60's but never saw any strains that were maintained in any way. I suspect they were lost or maybe used to make hybrids. This is pre-clones and strains had to be maintained by seed lines, and that is a lot more work and a lot harder. That is why we don't see them any more.

-SamS

A factually inaccurate statement.

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
Heres a few more pic's of my Original Haze,the first is at 9-10 weeks with 3-4 to go...

And these are around 4 weeks into bloom...

Latest posts

Latest posts