What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

G

I just had another supercropping session with her, I'm determined to get this bitch under control and make her flower indoors! I'm applying all the DJ Short tweaks to increase sativa expression - my light is off at an angle and at a distance so it bathes the area in less intense light. I'm using a normal HPS bulb and I'm wondering if I need to augment the light spectrum towards the latter part of flowering for her to mature, any tips on finishing equatorial pure sativas under lights would be much appreciated!

bigherb

Veteran
sam the skunkman

can u tell us some of the other colombian mexican and thai lines in ohaze.

id also lov to hear more about wackyweed an uncle told me its the strongest shit he ever smoked, makes sense now .youve said purple was strongest of the haze

Last edited:

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
British_Hempire said:
I'm using a normal HPS bulb and I'm wondering if I need to augment the light spectrum towards the latter part of flowering for her to mature, any tips on finishing equatorial pure sativas under lights would be much appreciated!
Owzitgoin' BH? Loving those Mahoosive leaves btw!
In my experience the Equatorials and a lot of other Sat's like a little more blue light than a Son-t HPS gives off. An Agro or PLANTA or GROLUX or various other Sodium bulbs with more blue/white light in the spectrum would be a good option as would a MH conversion bulb which works with standard HPS ballast. I'm not sure what the choice is at 250 as I use 400w and 600w usually. Some of the envirolite compact flourescents or T5s with the 250w HPS would be cool also as would blue led's.
One thing I have experimented with on a slightly larger scale is to use the Blue HPS or MH through flowering at angles as u are aware. Then to add more Red light in whatever form once buds are filling out in last third of flowering or so. If U place the Blue light at a not too acute angle and red light at low side angle and only switch on Red for first and last few hours of Flowering day then it also mimic's Sunrise/Sunset etc. I think anyway U can start them with more blue and finish with more red light would be worth a bash IMHO.
Warming sativas roots just a little also helps make them settled and is worth a try(I use heat mats under Sat pots and not under Indica pot's.
I realise these suggestion's all take £'s u may not have but I was just giving U what I had to give. I have used these methods myself on African and JA Sat's with some success but haven't grown Thai for year's. Good luck with them Fella! JBo
:wave: :joint:

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
Id say a metal halide would be best or MH/HPS combo and a few high UV-b T5 reptile or a Ultra-vitalux 300w UV-b lights to mimic the high UV-b of the tropics.

G

Hola Sam, i was wonderin if theres anything you see in a plant when there growin that piqs your interest in a plant right off. do you see certain plant types that most times ya say to your self "this is gonna be a good one" or that just isnt how it works, and eval a plant at finish?

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
marijuanamat said:
Id say a metal halide would be best or MH/HPS combo and a few high UV-b T5 reptile or a Ultra-vitalux 300w UV-b lights to mimic the high UV-b of the tropics.
Interesting stuff Mat haven't tried Ultra-vitalux but have been recommended the reptile iights b4 by a friend Stateside. I think I might have to take your advice on that one as I have quite a lot of landrace seeds and mostly Sat croosses from the 90's (that I thought were lost) to get through this year.
Thanks 4 the inspiration,thats what I love about this forum,so much great knowledge being thrown about! JBo
:rasta:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
To be honest I get clues from veg growth but it is the smells that help me decide keepers vs tossed, that and smoking the finished results.

-SamS

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you a stem rubber ?? ..lol :wink:

This how we pick males... by isolating the best of the bunch on phyllotaxy and leaf patterns,, then rubbing the stems to find out which one holds the minerals. It's a b/s way of predicting the outcome of recessive genes in lineage,, but keeps us busy during the winter months :wink:

Rogue plants -

Q. How common are rogue plants in Haze (and Skunk) lineage?

We'd sometimes find a throwback in the Haze#19xSkunk patch,, maybe 1 : 200 female plants. These rogues were slightly shorter than the "Haze types" with candles of bracts that towered up on themselves. Characteristically these single plants stood out from all the other hybrids from the same family group in the garden.

The rogues had a thick creamy smoke and was some of the best ganja we ever cropped n smoked. Jah bless all involved.,

peace
dLeaf :joint:

G

Thanks for the input on light spectrum fellas, I'm gonna run these first Thais with just the HPS and see what happens, I can then experiement further with the cuts of them at a later date, adding in CFLs to add other parts of the spectrum. I'm curious to see what effects adding a UV-B bulb would have too.

G

Sam_Skunkman said:
To be honest I get clues from veg growth but it is the smells that help me decide keepers vs tossed, that and smoking the finished results.

-SamS

nice sam, every once in awhile ill be lookin at a seed batch in veg, and say to myself that one looks like it will be a good one, sometimes they are, others times, there not.

id imagine over many years with the same seedline you get pretty good at pickin what is what in a grow.

thanks for your input. i know you have answered the same ol questions time and again, but for some of us that werent around early in the game, hearin from you on many different lines is great.

i think to myself, you must be sittin there readin some of the posts growers post, and just shakin your head at times. prolly get a good chuckle now and again

take care

Hello again Sam, I purchased some OHaze from Seedsman and I just started germinating. I was wondering if OHaze was hypersensitive to fertilizer, b/c I've seen pics of hazes (not original haze) whose leaves start to curl up when given a very slight overdose? Also, the only way I will be able to flower OHaze is from clone, b/c my flower chamber is only 4.5', so, if I flowered a clone at 2-3" do you think I'll be able to finish it?

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
O haze is very senative in my experiance,same with most pure sativa's really start very low and work up from there,and you'll be fine flowering clones at a few inches high and they should end up 3-4ft at harvest.

Last edited:
C

Cinderella99

Sam...

Sam...

Hi Sam
What are your thoughts on C99 as being the "holy grail" or pinnacle of indoor/practical hazes? Of course, this strain, as all others that are germane, stand on your shoulders. If you say you don't have enough experience with this strain, I'm gonna have to insist you come back to Cali again :smoke:

C

Cinderella99

Yea...

Yea...

Moreover, my question really is "how does this modern incarnation jive with your lifelong vision of making hazes accessible?" I know there's no absolute and many varieties, but I'd be interested to hear your comments about Mr. Soul's abilities... Thanks and much respect.

G

C99 is a good 8 week sativa dom hybriod but it's light years away from a true sativa high, a pure or near pure sativa has a much different effect than something like C99 which has a lot of indica genes too.

Tropical

Yeah, I agree that C99 wasn't really a sativa high. The C99 I had finished in only 8 weeks, but the yield and potency were both on the low side compared to the Haze pheno of Mothers Finest. The difference in yield was huge. Mothers Finest gave me nice fat buds, several times heavier than the wispy little C99 buds, after only two extra weeks of bloom. I wish I still had that mom. It was my favorite indoor sativa by far. I have heard good things from other strains too, like SAGE n Sour Diesel from THSeeds.