What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

G

Nice to see some quality buds that finish quick. I just chopped a Cheese x Yumboldt today at 57 days, that is the quickest plant I've had for ages, in fact, the first one to be chopped at under 60 since a Herijuana Petroli pheno.

I have another cut that is of unknown origins and is at least 15 years old, it's definitely a Skunk hybrid, we think it mignt be NL/Skunk. I have had samples of her that were flowered 60 days that were great, but I was given a bud of her that was grown commercially and probably cut at 45 days, the taste and potency were lacking, I didn't even finish the joint, threw it away. Real shame as I know how good it can be if flowered to full ripeness.

To be honest, most of the highs I really enjoy take at least 12 weeks, but I always have a couple of faster things flowering to make patience easier.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DocLeaf said:
Q: Is the 'Haze' that went from Lowland Seed Co. to Positronics Seed Co. as 'Haze #19', the same genetic base that goes into 'Haze x Skunk' that contemporary Dutch seed co-operatives stock today?

many thanks

peace
dLeaf :joint:

please :D

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
DocLeaf said:
Q: Is the 'Haze' that went from Lowland Seed Co. to Positronics Seed Co. as 'Haze #19', the same genetic base that goes into 'Haze x Skunk' that contemporary Dutch seed co-operatives stock today?

many thanks

peace

Haze was not sold by Lowlands seed co to Positronics. And no it is not the same.

-SamS

Last edited:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks dude. These threads are an invaluable source of information.
Peace out for sharing it with us all.

erb, roots, n all

darthvapor

The term haze and kush and skunk is thrown around so much. How do you describe them Skunkman. To me when you say haze, its a smell and type of high thats unique. hard to describe. and when somebody says kush to me it smells like christmas trees and its medium in potency. Have I been misled by the name games they play with varieties of marijuana?

Tom Hill

Veteran
I picked up 4-5 15 packs of "original haze" from positronics in '95, as well as sk1, bred for earliness "hand pollenated by the skunkman" :D At any rate I'd like to get down to it Sam. Most of the Dutch hazes used in hybrids seemed to me from earlier f1 Mexican Colombian stock? A bit more sawn teak/leather of a flavor than the majority of Thai dominant citrus Haze I seemed to have aquired? Is this so? At any rate, the haze I have when it is on, can not be compared to by anything I have ever encountered, ever. Thank you sir for your efforts to make this so. I don't know what to tell folk that have not encountered this. It can be truly awsome.

Much Respect,
Tom

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
gonejah17,
I have talked about Durban so many times, I get tired of it. Try a search. Yes, it is mine.

-SamS

G

From what Sam said before, the Durban came from seeds imported into Cali and Sam worked the Durban for a while but stopped when a hermie trait reared it's head that he was never able to fully get rid of. I've grown the Durban x Skunk #1 Sam did a few times and did find a couple of hermies, might have been stress as I was quite new to indoor growing at the time, but the true females were all very good, despite the way I grew em.

Folks have said that Durban can be incredibly strong with a visual psychedelic effect, I think you'd need to grow it to full maturity outdoors under the full sun to get it that potent tho.

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
It is good to hear other experiences with sk1 and s.a dp x sk1 by sam. my experience was that i received 10 beans of each as freebies from the boutique, grew them in perfect soil, at 2000meters elevation, in the tropical andes, outdoors, full sun exposure, the few plants that made it vegged for 2 months and flowered for 2 more months, and grew no taller than 30 inches. probably did not get the seeds that were labelled in the packages though.

excellent thread,

much peace,

pvr

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
What was the photoperiod at the time of planting and growing?
I ask because growing Skunk#1 in the tropics is not the best use, try late Sativas like O Haze.
I can get one kilo from each and any Skunk #1 I grow in the ground, as much as two Kg.
But they do not veg and flower in 4 months or 16 weeks, they do take longer to get to this size. I plant seeds in the spring and harvest in early Oct in Calif.
Sorry you had bad results... Skunk #1 is one of the easiest plants to grow, if you are not on the equator.

-SamS

gonejah17

Thanks for the info guys, u know I would hate to bug u sam thats y I was asking anyone who knew FOR REAL!! So thanks BH for breaking it down for me. Theres so much info here and there its hard to always search and find the correct story (tho I admit I didnt try this time lol) So thanks again, more knowlege is spread -- ya cant feel too bad about that!!!

Durban was hands down the stoniest sat Ive ever smoked, but untill this last yr Ive been primarilly an indica guy. I never really appreciated or understood the properties of a true sat!! Aleays learning!!!

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
Greetings Sam,

The photoperiod in which the beans were grown was 12/12, they germed in april 06´, here we are at the n. hemisphere, so summer solstice is on june 22th if memory does not fail me and you get 12 hours and 40 mins. of light per day; while winter is december 22th + o - and you get around 11 hours and 55 minutes of light...
the plants were ready by mid august. the temperatures here are interesting though, during the day, after 11am up to 4pm, temperatures are hot, 25-30 degrees C. at night temps can go down as low as 10 degrees C or less, but usually stay between the 16-20 range the rest of the hours. not all were planted on the ground though, half and half, wanted to see how they were going to do in pots vs. ground. humidity varies a lot, can be completely saturated or be 40%, depends on the day...
a lot seeds behave this way here though, so I´ve come to learn it has to do with the photoperiod and specifics of the local climates etc...
and yes, you are right, more late maturing sativas do better here, like swazis, malawis, and the late more pure sativas I have found in colombian brick weed.
from what I read, haze would do well most likely too.

much peace,

best regards,

Pvr.

Last edited:
G

TomHill said:
I picked up 4-5 15 packs of "original haze" from positronics in '95,

the majority of Thai dominant citrus Haze I seemed to have aquired? Is this so?

, the haze I have when it is on, can not be compared to by anything I have ever encountered, ever.
Much Respect,
Tom

pretty much what i get from your line. lots of Lime citrus plants, with a few woody earthen plants. get alot of foxtails, but from your pics and others, prolly due to the grow OP.

1 to 2 purp plants in a 10 pack, with 70 to 80% female ratio as well, which has come out in the next generations as well, even with small populations.

heavy calyx, loads of frost, and a very nice head which lasts easy 3 hrs. and when i say im high for 3 hrs, its a continueing head with lots of spaceyness, many things goin on in my head. the 3hr thing does not include the comedown, your high for a long time.

some plants need 11/13 10/14 to flip, but most all with flip under 12/12. finishin anywhere from 16 to 20 weeks.

easily one of my favorite smokes.

one other point, this is one of the few so called original haze where we can easily trace back to the haze bros, no guessin, no BS, its the real deal.

Last edited:
E

ElectroSticky

THE ORIGINAL HAZE!!!!

great taste!!!, nice high , and even some purple there to be found..

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

lots of Lime citrus plants, with a few woody earthen plants.

I'm far from being a Haze expert, but I've grown a couple of versions of Colombian Gold, woody, earthen describes their taste pretty well, nutty, sandalwood, incense type tastes too. The Colombians have quite dark foliage too in my experience, so I would think that the woody, earthen Hazes are Colombian phenos.

I've never smoked Acapulco Gold, but I'm guessing that is where the lime/citrus comes from largely as I've heard it described that way a few times.

Without knowing what Thai(s) are in Haze, no idea about the Thai influence, I've smoked fruity Thais and earthy, woody Thais.

How does skunk #1 in your opinion echo the different strains you used in creating it? You said you back crossed the colombian x afgani to a mexican strain, don't remember which one.. Is it the mexican that contributes the most to the overall high?

At a guess, I'd say it's the Mexican that is dominant as Skunk is very sweet and a little fruity and I've never heard a Colombian variety described as sweet or fruity. Maybe some of the sweetness/fruitiness comes from the Mazar? Afghans can taste sweet, I've smoked some that were like mangoes or melons, then again, some are really funky and not sweet at all.

One thing I'm wandering Sam, are the Colombian and Acapulco used in Skunk in any way related to any of the sativas that wenmt into Haze?