What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

G

FFS another little argument. Come on guys!

Interesting to see someone working with Haze, mat.

Sam, just wondering, when you said Haze didn't represent a finished article (or words to that effect), did you mean you wanted to further stabilise the Haze line?

C

Chamba

Bluebeard....the poster, who probably has a grow box and is not a Monsanto scientist, asked a very basic question, I gave a basic answer.

the second part I wrote about breeding was not the full answer, but a good start for some guy with one light who wants some seeds to grow out and select a keeper.

why don't you suggest what he should do in this instance?...

Then after that he thinned out many which didn't provide the GC results he wanted. All of that is based on educated guesses, expectation and anticipation. That is the importance of experience. It doesn't take any experience to just look through crosses between randomly selected plants.

and I'm guessing that back in the day Sam did his selection for SK1 via the pipe and joint, not in some lab.........educated guesses, expectation and anticipation won't tell you if the high is great, keeping good records and notes along with smoking the bud will.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Dalaihempy,
I don't really like to spend time making personal criticism's but your use of english without spell check is for me like trying to understand someone with their mouths full of food. It would be a lot easier for everyone if you used spellcheck, at least most of the time.
You do not have to but, it sure would make understanding what you say and mean easier for everyone, if that is important to you?
I know I am the worlds worst speller, so I try and fix anything I notice is misspelled when I post, but I am sure I do not catch them all.
I don't mean this with hostility, I am just trying to help make things go smoother here.
-SamS

T

terran2

some more Haze pics

some more Haze pics

Compliments of Strcrash

Pure Mako haze

413033-3-08_026_640x480.jpg

(SSH x C99) x GDP

413032-20-08_016_640x480.jpg

The SSH x C99 used in the GDP cross above

413033-5-08_007_640x480.jpg

Last edited:

Organic Monk

I have this small article saved but I wouldn’t know how to post it. It was an interview with Joe Haze from 1980 this is all I have of it. Please don’t read more into it than what it says or doesn’t say. Here goes it word for word.

HAZE BROTHERS
BY FARMER GREEN
Marijuana is now the top cash crop in California, having recently pulled ahead of various fruits, nuts and swamis. This presents a lot of California farm folk with the unenviable chore of hyping their product across the land while doing their damndest to hide every illegal speck of the stuff.
Take the Haze brothers. For four years they’ve been captivating American potheads with what they brazenly declare to be the “finest pot grown anywhere on earth.”
Using seeds from their favorite imported smoke, the Haze brothers came out with “Purple Haze’ “Golden Haze” and a range of other colors four years ago, and have been breeding and crossbreeding subsequent generations of those botanical wonders. “The colors are a fluke,” says Haze. “We never know what color a crop will come out. One year its tannish brown, next year it’s greenish purple.”
Joe Haze says northern-California pot is upstaging his “brand,” and without justification. “The stuff they grow up there is mostly indica, but it’s harvested early to get it in before the frost,” he says. “in our county the flowers pump out resin until December, and Haze pot is from sativa seeds.”

From Grow American, #63, November 1980

J

jimbroker

Thats a nice post Organic Monk. Haze's many colors reminds me of corn with different colored kernels.. reds purples golds. If you don't choose for traits like color and focus on things like potency and resin production than you would see multiple colors like what is reported in the article.

D

Dalaihempy

Sam_Skunkman said:
Dalaihempy,
I don't really like to spend time making personal criticism's but your use of english without spell check is for me like trying to understand someone with their mouths full of food. It would be a lot easier for everyone if you used spellcheck, at least most of the time.
You do not have to but, it sure would make understanding what you say and mean easier for everyone, if that is important to you?
I know I am the worlds worst speller, so I try and fix anything I notice is misspelled when I post, but I am sure I do not catch them all.
I don't mean this with hostility, I am just trying to help make things go smoother here.
-SamS

hi Sam it is importent that people understand what im saying as it would be for you or any one posting.

The only time my spelling seams to come in to it is when im in a debate with some one or an argument wich is realy sad from were im siting sam and why i see red now if people bring it up even if there not meaning to be nasty as most are sadly and after i posted to Chamba i sed sorry for over reacting privately.

I am far from perfect sam but what i am is honest and i am about the plant i have always treated people the way i my self want to be treated and in the last few years have develepet a very short wick (short temper) for bull shit.

I am a phonetic speller for those that are interested.

What does phonetic speller mean?

Phonetic spellers spell words the way they sound to the speller, regardless of how the dictionary may spell them. For example, a phonetic speller might write rite instead of write or right.

Shakespeare was as were many other great minds phonetic spellers.

Heres just a few more people to add on the list.

The first part of this 'definition', that it is possible to have a specific reading and writing difficulty, is agreed by most teachers, researcher and even politicians. This is reinforced by examples championed by dyslexia organisations who have failed to learn to read and write, at least at the level of their peers, and yet have still succeeded in their chosen profession (possibly because of their dyslexia). Example include famous people from the past, such as Thomas Edison, Leonardo da Vinci, and Albert Einstein to current leaders in different fields including Richard Branson (billionaire businessman, whose business interests include travel and music), Beruj Benacerraf (geneticist and Nobel prize winner), John Chambers (chairman of global computer company, Cisco Systems) and Charles Schwab (founder of one of the world's leading internet financial services companies).

So to be juged and be called stupid by some for haveing bad spelling realy only shows ones own strengths to try and fit in when one is diffrent.

I did look for a spell check on here could not see it infact i went to google and found one.

Some times i think it would be best to just walking back into the shadows i came from.

Ganico

Veteran
Dalaihempy said:
I did look for a spell check on here could not see it infact i went to google and found one.

Some times i think it would be best to just walking back into the shadows i came from.

You're alright, Hempy. I don't think it's THAT big of a deal

As far as not finding the spell checker goes, I see you must only use the "quick reply" feature, haha. But if you click the regular reply button, there's an automatic spell checker on everything you type, it underlines the error in red.

Last edited:
G

It's not a big deal, but hempy sure does post some interesting and useful info and I find it hard to follow that info sometimes. Of course, not everyone is of the same generation as us youngsters who grew up with computers, and some people don't find them easy to use like we do. My dad is 63 and even with years of my help he is still not 100% certain of how to use his computer. I can type, had to learn years ago, but I know lots of folks that can't type very well, they might be very intelligent and have lots to share that is useful, but they find difficulty in the communication method.

I've seen many misunderstandings over the years on forums, often when folks forget that not everyone has English as their first language and also often between speakers of US English and standard English. Nowadays I've learnt to understand US English, but still, often, you US folks lose me and I have to read things several times to get the true jist of the meaning. We don't all speak the same language or speak that language in the same manner, but we are all here (hopefully) to share knowledge about our beloved herb and help each other.

Think about why Sam is here, it must be to keep abreast of what us crazy kids are doing with the beloved herb and to share his knowledge, I'm sure hempy's reasons are much the same.

D

Dalaihempy

I need a phonetic spell check but cant find a free version so will use the normal version and google if need be to get the write spelling when i post.

I just looked for spell check feture on here didn't know it was built in but be no use to me by the sounds best to use the one i found but thanks for the help i apresate it.

Any way life to short to worrie about this type of stuff back to topic i say.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Dalaihempy,
I am happy you are a fonetic speller, but might I suggest that it is hard enough to understand what people mean to say without every other word misspelled? If you can't find the spellcheck in the forum, what browser do you use? I ask because Safari, MS Explorer, Firefox, Netscape Navigator 9, Mozilla, all have spellcheck built into them, most browsers do.
For example in Safari go to the Edit tab on the top and slide down to open spelling...
Or write the posts in Word and spellcheck then cut and paste into the forums.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, I am trying to help you get your points accross without confusion for all the readers, and it is not hard for you to do. I do it all the time, just to make it easier for everyone else to read what I have to say.
It is easy to make your posts much easier to understand, and be more considerate of others.

-SamS

Last edited:
C

charlie garcia

Hola amigos

Sam, do Haze lines you worked and smoked always had same type of effects or you found some variabilites... Did you have to work them to select any particular type of effect or type of effect is been always the same? or maybe your job was more focused in getting largest amount of THC not paying particular attention to some effect variabilities.. sometimes at least me I like to find balanced effects when possible as well and not only raw potency... ... In other side sometimes lines worked can be used as "breeding tools" more than suited to smoke them alone.. I think this last term is the consideration you mentioned several times before but dont know if is the main one... guess I talk about some of your criterias used

thx
best

Last edited:
D

Dalaihempy

hi sam im using a spell check i found for now i book market it for now until i get hold of a phonetic spell check and like i sed mate i don't think you or Chamba meant any thing by your remarks i just over reacted as i sed many have used my spelling as a way to attack me in the past and now when i see it i see red.

I like this spell check i found as i can go threw each ward that is not right and correct it but thanks and its true the pen is more mity than the sward .

C

Cinderella99

You see...

You see...

That is what I LOVE about internet: This is actually Sam the Sk man that is talking to us...Just rec'd some "Pure" seed from TFD. Thanks (indirectly) Sam... Hey when you commin' back to Cali? :nono:

ngakpa

Veteran
Dalaihempy said:
the pen is more mity than the sward .

lol DH

dunno, I reckon the sward's more mighty - esp. if planted with our favourite 'erb

feel free to tell me to "sod off"

Noun: sward - surface layer of ground containing a mat of grass and grass roots

greensward, sod, turf

divot - a piece of turf dug out of a lawn or fairway (by an animals hooves or a golf club)

land, soil, ground - material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use); "the land had never been plowed"; "good agricultural soil"

C

Cinderella99

"The Pure" spellchecked...

"The Pure" spellchecked...

Hi Sam,

Used to be a secondary school English/Journalism teacher and big city journalism before that so the spell check issue is one that is near and dear to my heart...Although we all make mistakes occasionally-- hopefully not systematically. Jeez, I'm typing like Gypsy used to with all the ellipses... Anywho...

Sam, I'm wondering if the modern TFD pure suffers from the same inbred vigor-lack as the original H does...ie: must be outcrossed to be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your response.

D

Dalaihempy

ngakpa said:
lol DH

dunno, I reckon the sward's more mighty - esp. if planted with our favourite 'erb

feel free to tell me to "sod off"

Noun: sward - surface layer of ground containing a mat of grass and grass roots

greensward, sod, turf

divot - a piece of turf dug out of a lawn or fairway (by an animals hooves or a golf club)

land, soil, ground - material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use); "the land had never been plowed"; "good agricultural soil"

Hi ngakpa no i wont tell you to sod off mate but think i will sod off instead i guess 30 years of grow experience don't seam to count for much in the canna community and spelling more so ether way you all take it easy i wont post in here any more and will think on if i will post at all in future at icmag or at any site in fact.

Don't think I'm over reacting here i tried i ever got a spell check to use to help those of you that seam to find it hard to understand me to understand me don't think the spelling the problem personally but as they say thats life no ill feeling to any of you guys take care.

S

Scorpion

good morning Sam

Do you know of any Pure Sativas {not related to O Haze} available to the public?
Ive made a couple hybrids with the Haze ,but they were always indi/sat hybrids,decent but nothing to get excited about.
I tried to find a sweet mexican red hair from the old days,but so far all I come across is hybrid of unknown ancestry.
thank you for the time.

peace