What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think that OT1´s and TomHill´s Hazes are basically the same,but worked in a different way,just my opinion
Those arguing with the Skunkman=idiots :bashhead:
This Ot1´s Hz #1 is awesome!! in the pic,the tip of a low branch :rasta:
Imagen029-1.jpg

G

Tom Hill bought his Haze from the Positronics Shop in 1997, so the genes would probably have come from Old Ed originally, like many of Posi's strains. Where Old Ed got them I don't know, Sam said in another thread theat Old Ed didn't get them from him. OT1 said he got his seeds in the US in the 60s from what I recall, Could be that both are related and both related to Sam's Haze in some way, it's hard to know, but as long as the plants are good, I suppose it's irrelevant really.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BH,
Maybe Tom was wrong when he said 1997...
a long time ago he said that he bought the haze @ Posi´s by the end of 1993 or 1994...
I´m going to ask him :rasta:
EDIT:
Sacred Seeds offered 4 different O Hazes,plus the Burning Bush and the New Year´s Haze,and at least half dozen of Haze hybrids...in 1981...
I´d bet that at least a few bought those seeds?

Last edited:
B

Bluebeard

Yeah, I was thinking the same British Hempire. Who knows where Old Ed had come upon it.

Raco, the Positronics haze and the ot1 haze are virtually identical in veg, so you're probably right. I've just heard so many stories about what exactly the ot1 haze is, it makes my head spin :wallbash: So I'd just as soon not worry about its history but just focus on the amazing plant that it is. I wondered myself if the ot1 haze wasn't a new years haze that someone from Europe had ordered from Cultivators Choice. How did it go? "New Years Haze aka super annoying haze" something like that... The best plants do seem to be the very longest ones. I have about 100 ot1 hazes left, perhaps I should run 100 ot1 hazes in the greenhouse with 140 Positronics hazes outdoors with light cycle control? That would be a nice comparison. Doing my spring germination run on the leap year, so trying to sort out what I should do.

Last edited:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bluebeard said:
Yeah, I was thinking the same British Hempire. Who knows where Old Ed had come upon it.

Raco, the Positronics haze and the ot1 haze are virtually identical in veg, so you're probably right. I've just heard so many stories about what exactly the ot1 haze is, it makes my head spin :wallbash: So I'd just as soon not worry about its history but just focus on the amazing plant that it is. I wondered myself if the ot1 haze wasn't a new years haze that someone from Europe had ordered from Cultivators Choice. How did it go? "New Years Haze aka super annoying haze" something like that... The best plants do seem to be the very longest ones. I have about 100 ot1 hazes left, perhaps I should run 100 ot1 hazes in the greenhouse with 140 Positronics hazes outdoors with light cycle control? That would be a nice comparison. Doing my spring germination run on the leap year, so trying to sort out what I should do.

Extra late Haze aka New Year´s Haze...:D
I harvested my Ot1´s after 20 weeks!!
early samples made me happy!!
Hard I tryed,but nope....not a single banana.Hermie-free for sure :joint:

Last edited:
B

Bluebeard

I knew it was something like that :redface:

That is a good point about the OT1, it is just as impervious to forming bananas as the other hazes, and a good sign that they are possibly related.

Last edited:
C

charlie garcia

Everything is possible, we can never be sure about... Sacred Seeds, Cultivators Choice, Positronics... Most important thing is that ppl grow them, whatever line and source. Some of us have been looking always for best possible sativas and try to incorporate them to present commercial genepool in our jobs... to grow this "jurasic" lines hehe cant be other thing than great for all.

About Haze, here is Sam to talk.. he is the one to ask due inmense job done with them. "nihil obstat" I will always look for other sativas as well, not only haze :) hehe I will always miss my good columbians and mexicans alone although could be part of Haze

best

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
British_Hempire said:
Tom Hill bought his Haze the Shop in 1997, so the genes would probably have come fromOld Ed originally, like many of Posi's strains. Where I don't know, said in another thread theat Old Ed didn't get them from him. OT1 said he got his seeds in the US in the 60s from what I recall, Could be that both are related and both related to Sam's Haze in some way, it's hard to know, but as long as the plants are good, I suppose it's irrelevant really.
Positronics got them from Sam, not Old Ed
-SamS

Last edited:
C

charlie garcia

Something happened also with some seedlings of Ot Haze that had not health and grew like bonsais. Some genetic fail (I saw the same in other old seed lines) Just a few in those lots but were rejected due lack of health. Maybe inbreeding depression? Anyhow I guess some of these bonsais could still come around from time to time in offspring

Sam I dont know if thats something you have been aware of as well in any of the hazes generations you worked. Maybe this data can help, dont know. I believe all these lines are related with your work.

thx

Last edited:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Raco said:
Posted by SG2 on CW March 18th 2005:

Originally posted by Pacific
hi all,
wolfman,this is what ot1 said in a post about the haze you got from me.he posted this before I told him the line was being continued.

A little history.

There has never been to my knowledge any seed line of haze selected to just produce purple flowers and anyone selling seeds as such are not the full ticket.Haze was a loosely selected and somewhat variable IBL.It was a combination of some of the best sativas from round the world.Old Ed brought haze to Holland direct from the Haze brothers and that was who Wernard got them from.He never sold them as purple haze but original haze.It had them very inbred.if you sowed 100 seeds,75 to 80 of them were females.Out of these,only 5% of less would be special.The buds were on the foxtail type of line and the finished bud colour could be from a straw/golden yellow through to a mostly pale green to a very pale lilac/silvery look depending on the mother the bud came from..Generally the keepers needed round 16 weeks flowering and some wouldn´t finish at all unless taken down to 11/13 L/D.This was because the equatorial genes were very dominant.They need fairly intense lighting ,pref halide only.Once again I think that Wernard was the last person to have any pure Haze stock mothers in Holland and since he went bankrupt 4 o 5 years ago,there are no pure stock lines.Only so-called improved versions now exist,ie they have had indica crossed into them to shorten then flowering time and the plant height.It´s a shame this IBL was not conserved and also that several of the land based strains in its make up and now are lost.

He told me the beans were twelve years old!So that you got any plants at all is a miracle in itself
Peace

I´ve seen Pacific (Lady J ??) being called a LIAR more than once... :spank:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I don't think ot1 was lying, he had been misled, I knew Wernard from 1984 he got seeds and Haze 19 as he called it from me.

-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I never saw O Haze produce bonzais or other mutant plants, lower potency yes.
Maybe the seed producer was using just a few plants and inbred them too many times?

-SamS

C

charlie garcia

gracias Sam

Not these seeds were 1 generation after Odltimer spared them. Must say also he always acted like a gentleman to us. He spared houndreds of them during the 90's as he said, also he spared seeds of 3 different Haze lines. These are 1 of those, he never got news about other 2. Is only info I remember. An old thread at CW ended up also really messy and polemic but for what we wanted, information about plants, to talk about plants, was dificult to extract any info at all which could help and maybe lead us in some growing and selecting direction... Maybe better like this, so not other influence when we looked at them for the first time.

Much appreciated

Last edited:

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
Tom Hill OHaze

Last pic is of the plangt I kept, great herb, picky to grow indoors for sure. So these are of yours Sam? Original or not, it's great, made a few crosses already, interesting to see how it blended with Sweet Tooth, many of the crosses I have had the pleasure to grow and taste are just fantastic, CBF's Strawberry Creme X OHaze purple pheno (yes these pop from Tom's beans also) aka Strawberry Haze is just amazing....

Great info in this thread, the world needs facts and here we have them...Im a young sprout but done read a pile of High Times mags and some of the timelines I see here just dont fit...Neville himself told that he didnt actually do anything new just cross and breed things that were already bred, and he indeed started with shit for beans he has said this himself, and he started business years after skunk and haze and such were well known varieties, at least in USA. But I wasnt there either.

Last edited:
G

I used ot have a book with a whole chapter on Neville, the author met him and did lengthy interviews, he talked in depth about how he went to Hollant to get clean of heroin because the Dutch had the best drug treatment programmes in the world and one of the ways the programme Neville enroleld in helped former addicts get back to a normal life was to help them setup business ventures, give them training in how to setup and run their own business etc. Neville told them he wanted to setup a cannabis seed business and they helped him get started. I wish I could find the book but I think I lent it to a friend who never returned it. There was a lot of info as Neville was pretty candid.

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
Someone had taken pics of the cannabis castle article in HT from the 80's where he tells a lot of things, dont remember where the hell it was, somewhere here in IC for sure.

JLP

Veteran
Great thread guys.

You've inspired me to germ the last 6 OH seeds I had.I tried them once before but they didn't turn out so good.These things are beasts indoors and the take about 8 weeks to even show sex.

The last time i grew them when I topped them the sap that came out looked just like blood,it will be interesting to see if it repeats.

Hey Sam,I think I've uncovered your top secret program-CODE NAME:
INJECT-A-SKUNK

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=82716&page=1

JLP

Latest posts

Latest posts