What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

D

Dalaihempy

Sam
I believe you were told this by someone who believed it to be true, but that does not make it true, if Neville lied then all the rest is lies regardless of how good or truthfull the people that told you are. I thought you were going to stop?

Sam i am going to stop and will only talk cannabis as i dont like polutics never have.

Sam
Don't know what to say, I have seen it a million times...
How much Thai seeds from Thailand have you grown? I have grown thousands and maybe 25% were hermi, before during and after sexing. There are many many different forms of intersexed female plants.

I cant honestly say how many seeds i grew but i grew a few diffrent lines of sativas from thialand.

Heres just one thia line i was gifted this one by an older grower who is a horticulturalist lines from 78 seed found in imported thia from 78 was grown and selected since then 6 generations i thort 10 but re asket told 6.

I belive this to be a low land thia sativa hates any type of ferts once flowering starts and take 10 weeks or longer to even start to sex so you need to expect this to go way past 20 weeks in flower took a sister plant of her well into the plus 20 weeks she had much more to go out doors this line will yield huge best the guy i got her from got was 10 pound from one plant.

Young pic of the fem.

Pic of the fem as she is showing sex.

Pic of erly flower from fem.

Pic of the top of one of the hermies.

Not the best pics but good inuf.

jim dankness
at the risk of sounding like a kiss ass, it blows my resinated mind that you people (yes hempy, i'm talking about you... among others) argue with sam about this stuff. i mean, the dude is perhaps THE ONLY CANNABIS PROFESSIONAL IN THE WORLD ("white market", at least).

No ones argueing theres a diffrence i sed i didnt see sativas thia sativas being one line show hermie in female plants threw flowering and only saw hermies showing at sexing unlike lines sold in urope there things i saw and facts now sorry if i dont agree .

Last edited:

joaquin386

Sam_Skunkman said:
It is absurd that neville said he got 1969 O Haze seeds from the Haze Bros.
#1 Neville first traveled to USA in 86 or 87 at the earliest, the main Haze Brother, R was gone, retired in Mexico by 82 he did not come back for 10 years. He was the one that created O Haze. The second Haze Brother J quit growing O Haze about 1980 and only grew Skunk #1 after that, until he became a reborn christian, then he quit growing, and anyway recently he told me he never met Neville and he certainly did not sell any Haze seeds to him or anyone else ever.
#2 The Haze Bros had a falling out in the late 70's and stopped talking to one another, for certain they did not sell seeds as the Haze Bros to anyone, it is ridiculous as well as impossible.
Lets be honest Neville got the seeds from me, but he had promised me that he would not make pure Haze and sell them as such, I told him it was fine to make Haze hybrids with other varieties that were not mine.
He broke his word and started selling Haze pure and hybrids with my varieties, and I stopped working with him.
Maybe he lied to avoid the problems that accompany breaking your word? I can not say, but I know Neville did not meet the Haze Bros and did not get any O Haze seeds from them. Both the Haze Bros were close friends of mine and both were close neighbors for years, J lived a few hundred meters from my house until he departed to Mexico.

-SamS

Man Sam you HAVE TO write a book about your experiences and don't say you don't have time for it, I will loved to read it, like fear and loathing in las vegas, you where on the top of the wave of the cannabis generation at that time. You can not let us stay like these.

joaquin386

Sam_Skunkman said:
I don't believe in taking improved western bred Cannabis to areas of traditional Cannabis cultivation, they may spread their genes around and I don't think it is good.
BTW, Also it was 10,000 males, not 10,000 plants.
-SamS

Man if you grow 10,000 males then how many seeds you have to lay down 20,000 at least imagine the space and equipment you needed. Was all of these done in US or Holland?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
AnatomiclySound,

"You can talk down to me all you want Sam, but thats not going to change the facts of what I posted. I said Neville was responsible for the first seed bank shipping overseas. Nowhere did I say Skunk and Haze werent known before the days of Neville and the Seedbank. Its a well known fact Haze was around before the Seedbank. But Haze didnt gain international recognition as it has today before Neville sold the seeds Overseas to the masses. Sure a relatively small amount of people knew about it but compared to the reputation it has today its quite clear Neville selling the varietys acrossed the globe had an impact on the lure of these varietys."

That is one way to look at the FACTS but another way is to say that Neville became famous on the coattails of some very great Cannabis, I prefer this. I mean please name the variety of Cannabis that was deveoped by Neville alone, not based on another breeders work like Original Haze, Skunk #1, Northern Lights, Calif Orange, Pollyana, Durban Poison, Big Bud, Afghani #1, Kush, Early Girl, Acapulco Gold, Early Pearl, G-13, Hash Plant, Hawaiian Indica, Garlic Bud, none of these were developed by Neville, he did use them to make lots of seeds to sell. I say Neville was what he was, and that did not include creating great Cannabis from scratch, rather he took great Cannabis varieties and made a few crosses to get fast results, not hard to say the least. He did help a lot of people get a start with seeds, but that is another thing.. and he paid the price.

"The reason I am posting is because Neville is being shit on in this thread, and I dont think thats fair? If you dont like the fact somebody is sounding a voice for Nevilles corner, forgive me. But I wont allow the entire thread to turn into a Neville is shit thread, because the man deserves better then that. "

I am only telling the truth, sometimes the truth hurts...

"You keep pretending my opinion is worthless because I wasnt there, but the sources of whatever information I have posted have been sited. Thats the information we have to work on, and the sources are pretty damn credible Sam."

I am saying you were not there and none of the people you are getting this from were there, so in fact they do not know the truth, they only know what others told them was the truth, if they were lied to then they do not know the truth, how could they?? They may think they know the truth, they may even think they are telling the truth but it does not make it true if they were lied to in the first place.

"Why are you calling me names Sam? You had quite an attitude with me yesterday when we discussed this same subject, however I was very cordial to you as you deserve. And nowhere have I said anything negative about you, not even once! But I have stated Neville isnt here to tell his side of the story, so we cant rush to calling him a liar."

I said I can't believe you are this thick? That is not calling you names, in my book. but maybe close.

"You're calling me a low life now?"

Only if you think it is ok to rip other peoples work... I do not.

"You're calling me a low life now? Again, Ive not said anything to you out of the way. But you're now resorting to calling me names. Thats a pretty low thing to do"

Please stop, Please stop, PLEASE STOP!!!

"The conversation was finished from my stand point, until the Neville bashing got into full swing. With few taking the time to respond with any kind of valid response for these assertions, somebody had to say something. And I did.
Im rather surprised you have talked to me this way Sam, I really am. I have stated I respect you for your accomplishments, and have been very polite to you. However you have not returned the favor."

PLEASE STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD!!!!!

-SamS

Last edited:
K

kopite

Anatomicalysound,

I don't know you and vice versa.... but one fact is we weren't there so cannot comment... IMHO it would be up to Nev to defend himself... Sam and Nev know the truth... it went down between them and should prob stay between them IMO, it serves no purpose to have a slanging match... for instance i had a difference of opinion over a seedbank at another site.. it went off with another member who actually I used to get on with.. damage is done now... the thing is it was never our argument it was between the two the shit went down with.....

anyway i'm all for discussions long as we all play nice

G

Hi,
I remember back in 1985 or so, I bought some seeds from SSSB. They were, Haze and Skunk X Afghani. I got the little seed catalog (that I still have) with photos of the Haze you all are probably talking about.

I grew that stuff out in a big cut over and it grew 14 feet tall and produced about 5 pounds of some of the baddest weed ever seen in those parts..I still have some seeds from that.

I also wish Skunk X Afghani was still available because that was also an outstanding strain for growing outdoors in the south. My friends were amazed. The dang seeds were like $60!

I guess the guy Neville is the dude from the SSSB who got busted or something. Anyway, I have some of the O*TXHXSK and want to thank Sam, Neville and all of those dudes for for their work and hope they are around for a long time!.

I have been hearing 12 weeks or so for maturation on O*TXHXSK. I will let you all know what happens.

Take it easy!

Li'l Abner

bigherb

Veteran
sam skunkman your the fuckin man

my first forum n my first reply from you. thank you sam and thank you all for your info n input.sam the more of your post i read .the more interesting you become i respect all of your work but without tlking to you i respect you as a man.your as real as they come i bet we'd get along great.

im excited maybe to much but for the first few days no reply n i return today to see 6 pages.wonerful

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
kopite,
Yes Purple Original haze was absolutely a reality. It was around for more then a decade in the late 60's , 70's, and from then on in the form of hybrids. It came in silver, blue, reddish, as well as purple, and almost black. I grew, smoked, saw them all. They were real.

-SamS

dkmonk

I can't believe you idiots are arguing with one of the best cannabis breeders around. That would be like arguing w/ oriville redenbocker or however you spell his name about pop corn if he was still alive. Sam is a profesional and was there 30 years ago doin all this shit and has grown probably millions of plants, he is why breeding is the way it is today you guys just need to shut up and listen to the wise. Plus my question was avoided due to most of your guys ignorance.

Wow so much information Sam you are a legend to me. After reading all this I'm getting quit confused as to which so called original haze i would want to cross w/ an unkown hybrid that i have that is an amazing resilent plant. Would it be the Flying Dutchmans "original haze"?

Sorry for not understanding, it's just the words original haze have been used alot and i dont know if you mean the actual original or the hybrid of the original or nevilles haze.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Dalaihempy,
Did you mean 1978 or 78 seeds? To find 78 Thai seeds is a lot. I remember back in the 70's going through Kilo after kilo drying the sticks in the sun to be able to sieve the sticks and get the seeds, I was lucky to find one or two seeds per kilo of very top notch Thai sticks. The sticks then had buds with no leaf, no seeds, and so much resin the sticks would pass the italian test, throw a stick agaist the wall and make it stick.

-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
dkmonk,
If I made the seeds, yes. If not I can't say. You need to ask them.
BTW, I bet most of the Hazes, my Original Haze or not, out there will improve most female Indica blood clones. And most clones do have Indica in them.

-SamS

Last edited:

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sam_Skunkman said:
Yes Purple Original haze was absolutely a reality. It was around for more then a decade in the late 60's , 70's, and from then on in the form of hybrids. It came in silver, blue, reddish, as well as purple, and almost black. I grew, smoked, saw them all. They were real.

-SamS
If U dont mind me asking Sam,which of those diff coloured Ohaze's stood out at the time as the best taste or smoke? Obviously youve developed the OHaze over the years to have the traits you wanted stabilised,but looking back was there a particular plant from a particular year that was exceptional for you and why?
For me it was a longer flowering Skunk1 with the sweetest of floral flavours and giggly buzz.We used to call her 'Skelter#1' due to the way the buds would form in a near-symmetrical spiral before they filled out! Is this growth pattern something usual in Sk1 plants and if so did it stem from one of the original Sativa lines in her makeup or is it a 'mutation' for want of a better word...I'd be interested to know as she came from the first crop I grew when I was a teen and I can still occasionaly taste her now in my dreams!
I started a 'First plant/s you grew' thread and would be intrigued to know what the first plant you grew and first weed you smoked as well? JBo

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
To be honest the purple Hazes were maybe stronger but not as clear or as up and high. I liked the lime greens with maybe a bit of Thai blood. I do remember a med dark purp Haze that tasted just like root beer, amazing. I also had a Kerala that tasted just like Vics Metholated it was Camphor for sure, strong as hell but not as clear as I like.
I grew mex seeds from a bag of weed in 1965.

-SamS

K

kopite

kopite,

-SamS

Thank you for the info Sam, IYO which seedbank would be best to purchase some original haze seeds.. I've got it down to seedsman and Flying dutchman... also could the likes of purple and black Original haze be found at all thru these seed lines?...

on the subject of mex seeds.. I can only come up with one realistic seedbank for a mex sativa.. that seedbank is the sativa seedbank... do you know of any others???

Kopite

Last edited:

PDO

forget about the fact that this man created a stable hybrids 20+ years ago when todays breeders cant even lock down certain traits even with all the technollogy and knowledge available today. SAM SKUNKMAN CREATED THE BUILDING BLOCKS, LAID DOWN THE FOUNDATION!!! YOU IGNORANT BASTARDS SHOW HIM SOME RESPECT!!!!!!! so many keep on with this neville haze story first off i think highly of shantibaba but shanti wasnt there when the seeds or clones were obtained so he only knows what whoever told him. i'll take the word of someone who was there sam or not!! SAM THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS AND ALL THAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR CANNABIS & GROWERS.

bigherb

Veteran
ed rosenthal fucked up story states the haze bros went to nl n met nevil b 4 they retired.also that the haze was mex /colmb n som thai.

but i understand that the haze bros ohaze was a colomb/mex hybrid the first year.then the sec year a south indian male was used to make a three way.then in the third year thai male was used to make the legend. sam is this true?

caz you state that the haze bros made the original haze n im informed that after your inbreeding at sacred seed th e stablized phenotype was called ohaze. true?

i ask that question because breeders state they hav haze bros haze wit no mention of oh.example refeerman n dna boys i understand you worked wit reffer. but y the haze bros reference n the dna boys were def not around then.r there possibly still seeds or somthin in cali

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alien Breeder's in Rootbeer Haze Shocker!!!!

Alien Breeder's in Rootbeer Haze Shocker!!!!

Sam_Skunkman said:
To be honest the purple Hazes were maybe stronger but not as clear or as up and high. I liked the lime greens with maybe a bit of Thai blood. I do remember a med dark purp Haze that tasted just like root beer, amazing. I also had a Kerala that tasted just like Vics Metholated it was Camphor for sure, strong as hell but not as clear as I like.

-SamS

Wow Sam,I like the sound of that Rootbeer Haze,just the thought of it is making my mouth water!!I've never smoked anything like that before. Had some very menthol smells b4 though,but not quite Vics,more a Coughsweets aroma From a Chitral xAfghan/Malawi. The males smelt the most Menthol though,but never used one for pollination due to F--king burglars stealing my seed's(amongst other things)so not sure how it carried through to next gen. Cheers for info JBo

By the way,thought I'd better warn you... My dads,mates,brothers,sister in laws Grandad's friend.. said he gave You,the Haze Brothers,Neville and Arjan all your seeds in '1959' and that he got them from Aliens from the Planet Haze.He also said it was originally Pink with purple stripes,Flowered for 4 years straight and grew op to 100feet tall in Arctic conditions and was so strong you could fly when you smoked it,If your so called Original Earth Haze isn't like that then apparently its just not real Haze I'm afraid.Sorry!
I thought that sounded more feasible than you actually knowing the Haze Bros,so me and the HazeAliens are gonna sue everyone who has ever smoked weed for Royalties...So watch out all of you!
Although we may be busy for a few weeks perfecting our Patented(pre-1900) 'Laser Powered Sonic Trichome Seperator' TM.......LOL

And GOD made the Skunk! It says so here! :redface:

Heymikey

Hey Sam, I just wanted to throw my .02 cents worth in with those who've posted here in support of you. Your pioneering work in the early years made it possible for the breeders (and pollen chuckers) of today to make money selling beans derived from the genetics that you played a large part in developing and making available. I am in awe and envy of your accomplishments and experiences in those early days. I agree with the earlier poster who suggested that you write a book about it all. I wish you the best in all your endeavors and continued success in your breeding projects. IMHO, you are one of the REAL "Kings of Cannabis"!

G

Sam_Skunkman said:
Dalaihempy,
Did you mean 1978 or 78 seeds? To find 78 Thai seeds is a lot. I remember back in the 70's going through Kilo after kilo drying the sticks in the sun to be able to sieve the sticks and get the seeds, I was lucky to find one or two seeds per kilo of very top notch Thai sticks. The sticks then had buds with no leaf, no seeds, and so much resin the sticks would pass the italian test, throw a stick agaist the wall and make it stick.

-SamS

Well, some Thai sticks turn up from time to time in the UK even nowadays and they are really good quality, the buds have actually been trimmed and there is hardly any leaf. Very few seeds, not one or two a kile, maybe fifty to a hundred in a kilo I'm estimating. As well as the 100g sticks tied with red thread, there are 250g cylinders that are really highly compressed so many of the seeds are crushed. I've managed to collect a few seeds and a friend gave me some he collected from the sticks he had. The sticks were really potent and a nice uppy buzz, I germed 5 of the seeds to see if they were viable and got four sprouts, one was a runt and died off, the other three look pretty Thai like to my eyes so fingers crossed they are a real Thai. 49 days old grown 12/12 from seed and no signs of preflowers yet so looks like these will be pretty long flowerers.

9533DSCN6691_sm.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

Interesting you had a Keralan that tasted mentholated, I have this Mexican sativa I grew from seeds I collected from brick weed in Cancun and it tastes mentholated, after a long cure it becomes more like spearmint mixed with menthol. I really like it although it has an extreme mouth drying effect.

El-Yucateca.jpg

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts