What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

VoodooChild_

Hello guys, looking for growing a haze or a south american landrace like Oaxacan... Is the original haze from Sam the best available ? I'll grow it indoor

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

sbeanonnamellow

Hi haze heads! Hope you are having a lovely day or night wherever you may be.

Sam, did you ever give Neville male cuttings or plants of Original Haze?

I forget where I heard that and then the thought came. Neville had two male plants, and supposedly one female, but it was the two male plants that Nevilles work was based on from what I have put together in researching. Whenever I read on the forums about Original Haze, it seems that male plants are few and far between and upon flowering most original haze plants turn female. Now I have not grown and flowered out original haze plants yet so I am just speculating with information I have seen posted online. Is that the general concensus, that Original Haze typically puts out more females than males in its line?

If true, the odds of Neville popping a bunch of beans and finding 2 males and 1 female would seem out of the ordinary. Of course, if anyone would be the individual to pop a predominantely female line and pull more males than females it would be Nevil. I never met him, but the dude seemed extraordinary himself.

Just had that thought in my brain swirling around and since we have the platform here and Sam actually visits and replies on occasion, I figure it's a great resource to use. We stand on the shoulders of giants and being able to actually have conversations and discussions with them is something that shouldn't be taken for granted. Much love

sbeanonnamellow

Wow nice find! It wasn't from that contradictory post, I think it was from piecing together some of the comments Todd has made on some of the various forums or social media platforms as well as something I heard mentioned in a podcast I listened to recently.

Actual quotes from Sam! Thank you for the find RingtailCanyon. The crazy thing is, I think I have read those before but never really understood their significance. It's almost like the MNS forum where one day you think you understand it all and the next the lineage is as confusing as ever. One day I think I understand the Original Haze story then the next I read something and I'm totally confused again.

The part about it I relate to is, sometimes we mix things up. Our memory of a story or what happened, we are human. I can only imagine doing so for things happening so many decades ago and with high grade cannabis around in abundance.

There are times I mix things up. Genetics as well as accounts of stories and experiences I have been a part of, however intentional or not. The irony is, all this confusion just makes me want to order all the Cultivators Choice lines that are available at Seedbay and Breeders Retail because whatever the story is, there is likely gold in them packs. Much love

funkyhorse

Man, all this shit is going on longer than the Simpsons, amazing
Until three years ago I never heard in my life of Nevil and SamS and this has become something like an Argentina vs Brazil in football. It is all passion and emotional and the brain stops working and the story keeps repeating itself over and over

You will not find gold nor lithium in the seeds from Cultivators Choice
You will find ganja made in a different time so it is an alchemy in the form of seed, a window to times gone when breeding was different from today and the world was different too and this is what is special about those seeds and they are all very decent quality
For some people Skunk#1 is part of their identity because it influenced their lives for good or bad same with haze

I think what is important is the plant and the genetics are still there and you have the chance to grab them

If it was a male cut, a female cut what was shared between them is part of the soap opera and it will not help you get better ganja
I think a way to improve and get better ganja is resurrection of old seeds. I dont like the way breeding went in the 21st century and the only way is to go back and start from scratch again, too many things have been lost and what is alive is hoarded so cultivator choice seeds are special. I cant grow Ohz x Skunk properly because of mold issues but I was surprised with the potency of what I could make close to finnish and just dry it and smoke it. I didnt expect it to hit but it did
But if you are thinking you will find in those seeds more potent ganja than the best of the modern offerings, you might be disappointed

Have a nice weekend

sbeanonnamellow

Greetings funkyhorse,

You say it the way I intended. Gold as in a window into the past, a door that is being closed as time goes by. More interested in the nuances that have, for the most part, been lost to antiquity than total THC strength alone. And you're right, knowing more accuracy of what happened doesn't change the plants but I think it allows the current stewards of the plant to be able to pass down the most accurate lineage and history so that others working with it in the future can make the best choices for them and their desired outcome based on the options available to them.

I enjoy reading your perspective and comments. Thank you for sharing your thoughts they are well received, I especially like how you bring up how people can have attachments good or bad based on their previous experience with the plant, Skunk #1 or Haze for example. Nostalgia is a strong feeling! Much love

Sub24ox7

The skunk haze is gold IMO. Well said, a different time indeed. What I have found in the cultivators choice is like bottling up the past in mason jars. Nostalgia for me and a better time and better cannabis. Totally different to today. What I grew up smoking.

Last edited:

romanoweed

VoodooChild not expert here, but i guess oldtimershaze from Ace is good choice . This one tests at phylos as pure Landrace.. Columbian..

seedsman O haze is a longtime favorite of peoples i guess.

you cant go wrong with those i guess

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Greetings funkyhorse,

You say it the way I intended. Gold as in a window into the past, a door that is being closed as time goes by. More interested in the nuances that have, for the most part, been lost to antiquity than total THC strength alone. And you're right, knowing more accuracy of what happened doesn't change the plants but I think it allows the current stewards of the plant to be able to pass down the most accurate lineage and history so that others working with it in the future can make the best choices for them and their desired outcome based on the options available to them.

I enjoy reading your perspective and comments. Thank you for sharing your thoughts they are well received, I especially like how you bring up how people can have attachments good or bad based on their previous experience with the plant, Skunk #1 or Haze for example. Nostalgia is a strong feeling! Much love

If you take old stuff and cross with new stuff and also take old stuff and cross it with old stuff and grow them all out side by side the difference becomes apparent quickly as they go into flower. The new stuff has all the form and resin etc..but the old stuff that is fluffier and leafier, man you can't compare the terps that come off the old x old vs the old x new..Volume on the old stuff is 2x to 3x more pronounced and 5 out 6 girls in my tester smell AMAZING, compared to same mom modern dad where 1 out 5 girls smell amazing..but new school dads' daughters, they look better LOL.

Last edited:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
And also, the haze story begins long before Neville and long before Sam...and long before the Haze bro's as far as I know..and long before the '69 columbian gold..to throw a spanner in the works. As far as I know the half a century or more, prior to that the best varietals that they could find around the world, search done by botanists etc. associated with US governments and pharmaceutical companies like for example el lilly etc. and got taken to Columbian mountains to grow out and breed and experiment and the indicas basically got selected against with the misty tropical mountain environmental conditions that are always humid, and the thai and asian and african and other sativas just all interbred and with the agricultural research station being shuttered around the time of the second world war, the hippies discovered the naturalized descendants growing 20 years later in the Columbian highlands and shipped some back the Santa Cruz and the rest is history.. that is the back story to the parent genetics of the haze ancestors as far as I know. I cannot find references looking now but I've read the story a few times over the years, I'll keep an eye out for it..

MadMac

far beyond driven...
hello,
just got some exiting images from my friend in GB...
it's the first time i'll see my last OHz work...
it's a R4 OHz... (best four OHz girls x best four OHz girls reversed)
two plants... booth looking similar ...
very good frost for outdoors in cold summer 2021 in GB...
it's done by light dep. ... carry in& out every day... 120 day's ...
a huge huge respect to the grower... perfect grow OHz... in a small 10 liter pot ...
can you imagine... this plant in a proper climate outdoors... or greenhouse... duhhh...
think this is how it was looking back in da day's in 1976'

Sam_Skunkman ... many thx for the how too... :flowers2:
see ...it worked out very well :)

vigor & yield is back...
it's the Seedsman x 90 OHz or via versa... 3 90' OHz and 1 Seedsman girl

OHz R4 V2 #1
IMAGE 2021-09-02 19:26:09.jpg

detail
IMAGE 2021-09-02 19:26:05.jpg

OHz R4 V2 #2
IMAGE 2021-09-02 19:25:51.jpg

detail
IMAGE 2021-09-02 19:26:14.jpg

:yay:
get hazed
M.:smoker:

romanoweed

so what was the secret how you got the vigor back? This should be same lineage in the 1990 x SeedamnOHZ, right?

Does selecting into two directions and recombinyng introduce vigr?

MadMac

far beyond driven...
so what was the secret how you got the vigor back? This should be same lineage in the 1990 x SeedamnOHZ, right?

if strain loses vigor, backcross the inbred strain with the original ....
article in Blotter.... by Sam_Skunkman call "Sun, Soil, Seeds and Soul"

Imported 9.jpg
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

and yes he told me too when i'll was there ...
saw that it worked also with other strain... if you have the F1 or F2 and a fucked up F4... for example...
Tom Hill did the same with his haze line... use proved pollen from earlier generations to pollinate the best later generations...
i'll see it too now... a improvement... older haze line x newer haze line ... i'm sure there are some generations difference...
in this case i'll did it in one step with reversing...
still learning but see now how it all works...
there is so much more... those reversed male x male for example...
did it with my best resinous OHz male... seeds soon dry enough... to start the adventure...
haZe LoVe
M.:smoker:

TheDarkStorm

Its an attempt at maintaining.....but with a hybrid matching the original f1 combination and the magic that happens at that point isnt easily replicated ...