question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dalaihempy,
    Did you mean 1978 or 78 seeds? To find 78 Thai seeds is a lot. I remember back in the 70's going through Kilo after kilo drying the sticks in the sun to be able to sieve the sticks and get the seeds, I was lucky to find one or two seeds per kilo of very top notch Thai sticks. The sticks then had buds with no leaf, no seeds, and so much resin the sticks would pass the italian test, throw a stick agaist the wall and make it stick.

-SamS

Comment

dkmonk,
      If I made the seeds, yes. If not I can't say. You need to ask them.
      BTW, I bet most of the Hazes, my Original Haze or not, out there will improve most female Indica blood clones. And most clones do have Indica in them.

-SamS
      Last edited by Sam_Skunkman; 02-25-2008, 17:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Skunkman
        Yes Purple Original haze was absolutely a reality. It was around for more then a decade in the late 60's , 70's, and from then on in the form of hybrids. It came in silver, blue, reddish, as well as purple, and almost black. I grew, smoked, saw them all. They were real.

-SamS
        If U dont mind me asking Sam,which of those diff coloured Ohaze's stood out at the time as the best taste or smoke? Obviously youve developed the OHaze over the years to have the traits you wanted stabilised,but looking back was there a particular plant from a particular year that was exceptional for you and why?
        For me it was a longer flowering Skunk1 with the sweetest of floral flavours and giggly buzz.We used to call her 'Skelter#1' due to the way the buds would form in a near-symmetrical spiral before they filled out! Is this growth pattern something usual in Sk1 plants and if so did it stem from one of the original Sativa lines in her makeup or is it a 'mutation' for want of a better word...I'd be interested to know as she came from the first crop I grew when I was a teen and I can still occasionaly taste her now in my dreams!
        I started a 'First plant/s you grew' thread and would be intrigued to know what the first plant you grew and first weed you smoked as well? JBo

"To maintain or breed a Landrace you need a minimum of 2,000 plants 1,000 females, 1,000 males or every reproduction you will lose genes and be working with a slice of the variety not the landrace.Cannabis is a Heterogenous Dioecious Obligate Outcrosser.It is easy to make seeds, hard to breed correctly". -SamS.
        sigpic
        IC 420 Cup 2017 Growers Cup-Mostly Sativa

1st place- "Ting" by Londinium

3rd place- "Chilton Lime's" by Londinium

Comment

To be honest the purple Hazes were maybe stronger but not as clear or as up and high. I liked the lime greens with maybe a bit of Thai blood. I do remember a med dark purp Haze that tasted just like root beer, amazing. I also had a Kerala that tasted just like Vics Metholated it was Camphor for sure, strong as hell but not as clear as I like.
          I grew mex seeds from a bag of weed in 1965.

-SamS

Comment

kopite,
            Yes Purple Original haze was absolutely a reality. It was around for more then a decade in the late 60's , 70's, and from then on in the form of hybrids. It came in silver, blue, reddish, as well as purple, and almost black. I grew, smoked, saw them all. They were real.

-SamS
            Thank you for the info Sam, IYO which seedbank would be best to purchase some original haze seeds.. I've got it down to seedsman and Flying dutchman... also could the likes of purple and black Original haze be found at all thru these seed lines?...

on the subject of mex seeds.. I can only come up with one realistic seedbank for a mex sativa.. that seedbank is the sativa seedbank... do you know of any others???

Kopite
            Last edited by kopite; 02-25-2008, 18:22.

Comment

forget about the fact that this man created a stable hybrids 20+ years ago when todays breeders cant even lock down certain traits even with all the technollogy and knowledge available today. SAM SKUNKMAN CREATED THE BUILDING BLOCKS, LAID DOWN THE FOUNDATION!!! YOU IGNORANT BASTARDS SHOW HIM SOME RESPECT!!!!!!! so many keep on with this neville haze story first off i think highly of shantibaba but shanti wasnt there when the seeds or clones were obtained so he only knows what whoever told him. i'll take the word of someone who was there sam or not!! SAM THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS AND ALL THAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR CANNABIS & GROWERS.

Comment

ed rosenthal fucked up story states the haze bros went to nl n met nevil b 4 they retired.also that the haze was mex /colmb n som thai.

but i understand that the haze bros ohaze was a colomb/mex hybrid the first year.then the sec year a south indian male was used to make a three way.then in the third year thai male was used to make the legend. sam is this true?

caz you state that the haze bros made the original haze n im informed that after your inbreeding at sacred seed th e stablized phenotype was called ohaze. true?

i ask that question because breeders state they hav haze bros haze wit no mention of oh.example refeerman n dna boys i understand you worked wit reffer. but y the haze bros reference n the dna boys were def not around then.r there possibly still seeds or somthin in cali
                in NYC around my way we say if it anint church it anint fire
                more incense and less nonsense

Comment

Alien Breeder's in Rootbeer Haze Shocker!!!!

To be honest the purple Hazes were maybe stronger but not as clear or as up and high. I liked the lime greens with maybe a bit of Thai blood. I do remember a med dark purp Haze that tasted just like root beer, amazing. I also had a Kerala that tasted just like Vics Metholated it was Camphor for sure, strong as hell but not as clear as I like.

-SamS
                  Wow Sam,I like the sound of that Rootbeer Haze,just the thought of it is making my mouth water!!I've never smoked anything like that before. Had some very menthol smells b4 though,but not quite Vics,more a Coughsweets aroma From a Chitral xAfghan/Malawi. The males smelt the most Menthol though,but never used one for pollination due to F--king burglars stealing my seed's(amongst other things)so not sure how it carried through to next gen. Cheers for info JBo

By the way,thought I'd better warn you... My dads,mates,brothers,sister in laws Grandad's friend.. said he gave You,the Haze Brothers,Neville and Arjan all your seeds in '1959' and that he got them from Aliens from the Planet Haze.He also said it was originally Pink with purple stripes,Flowered for 4 years straight and grew op to 100feet tall in Arctic conditions and was so strong you could fly when you smoked it,If your so called Original Earth Haze isn't like that then apparently its just not real Haze I'm afraid.Sorry!
                  I thought that sounded more feasible than you actually knowing the Haze Bros,so me and the HazeAliens are gonna sue everyone who has ever smoked weed for Royalties...So watch out all of you!
                  Although we may be busy for a few weeks perfecting our Patented(pre-1900) 'Laser Powered Sonic Trichome Seperator' TM.......LOL

And GOD made the Skunk! It says so here!
                  "To maintain or breed a Landrace you need a minimum of 2,000 plants 1,000 females, 1,000 males or every reproduction you will lose genes and be working with a slice of the variety not the landrace.Cannabis is a Heterogenous Dioecious Obligate Outcrosser.It is easy to make seeds, hard to breed correctly". -SamS.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey Sam, I just wanted to throw my .02 cents worth in with those who've posted here in support of you. Your pioneering work in the early years made it possible for the breeders (and pollen chuckers) of today to make money selling beans derived from the genetics that you played a large part in developing and making available. I am in awe and envy of your accomplishments and experiences in those early days. I agree with the earlier poster who suggested that you write a book about it all. I wish you the best in all your endeavors and continued success in your breeding projects. IMHO, you are one of the REAL "Kings of Cannabis"!

Comment

Dalaihempy,
                      Did you mean 1978 or 78 seeds? To find 78 Thai seeds is a lot. I remember back in the 70's going through Kilo after kilo drying the sticks in the sun to be able to sieve the sticks and get the seeds, I was lucky to find one or two seeds per kilo of very top notch Thai sticks. The sticks then had buds with no leaf, no seeds, and so much resin the sticks would pass the italian test, throw a stick agaist the wall and make it stick.

-SamS
                      Well, some Thai sticks turn up from time to time in the UK even nowadays and they are really good quality, the buds have actually been trimmed and there is hardly any leaf. Very few seeds, not one or two a kile, maybe fifty to a hundred in a kilo I'm estimating. As well as the 100g sticks tied with red thread, there are 250g cylinders that are really highly compressed so many of the seeds are crushed. I've managed to collect a few seeds and a friend gave me some he collected from the sticks he had. The sticks were really potent and a nice uppy buzz, I germed 5 of the seeds to see if they were viable and got four sprouts, one was a runt and died off, the other three look pretty Thai like to my eyes so fingers crossed they are a real Thai. 49 days old grown 12/12 from seed and no signs of preflowers yet so looks like these will be pretty long flowerers.

Interesting you had a Keralan that tasted mentholated, I have this Mexican sativa I grew from seeds I collected from brick weed in Cancun and it tastes mentholated, after a long cure it becomes more like spearmint mixed with menthol. I really like it although it has an extreme mouth drying effect.

Comment

the descriptions i get fom the original haze n haze bros r diff. ohaze spicy sweet sour.haze bros sweet complex citrus spicy.

sam can u describe the ohaze smell n taste? please dont get aggravatted as youve told us the original haze is carried by the flyingdutchmen so their description should be legit but anint nuttin like the real thing bb

sam skunkman
                        love to hear your opinion on this haze we hav in ny the frankies aka church were could this frankincense n catpiss smell n taste be related too?

ive smoked som haze they call purplehaze uptown its sour sweet spicy almost buttery n green wit purp tint golden on the inside obviously not real opurple haze.prob second best haze ive had.thee best ive had which is my ohaze frankies uptown is frankincense,spicy,catpiss.unb elievable.

sam ive always been so curious about this mystical purple haze.n your the most reliable source so can u tell me was this a haze hybrid or a purple pheno caz of the colomb?if a hybrid wat is the linage
                        Last edited by bigherb; 02-25-2008, 21:19.
                        in NYC around my way we say if it anint church it anint fire
                        more incense and less nonsense

Comment

Easy BRITISH,just to back you up on the 'RedThread Thai'. We have been seeing that on and off in S.LDN for 2 or 3 years. Exactly the same as your pic! Have also found very few seeds in it and have had no luck with the ones we have found,bar one runt that didn't get to 3rd leaves.So its great that you got some to sprout,Ithink you've got a magic touch mate!
                          I have found it a pretty good buzz as well,when not too old.Up and Chatty with a nice spicy/peppery taste but not super cerebral like the Lemon Thai when I was a teen or the thai sticks I remember that were really sticky and tied with hemp thread from late 80's. I've been told by dealers not growers that its from Africa really(and it does remind me of some swazi) and they just tie it to give a Thai presentation. I'm not saying I believe this either, just trying to fill you in on what I've heard about it. Seeing as how it takes so long to show flowers it does sound more Thai or Long season S.American in growth pattern,but I'm just speculating anyway now. Good luck with em keep us posted.
                          That Mexi sounds very interesting as well fella,I've found a bit of menthol in some diff strains as well,but its Sams Rootbeer I keep thinking about,I love Rootbeer,that was my pheno to die for and its gone forever.Gonna have to find every version of haze and all its costituent strains and find a bloody large field til It pops out of something........ JBo
                          sigpic

Comment

Dalaihempy,

-SamS
                            Hiya sam this lines from 1978 the thias i grew were all from say 79 to around mid 80s the last one i collected was this one from 1978 basicly after mid 80s a lot of the real thia seamed to just dry up then any thia i saw was poor in quolity but not long after say 85 completly dryed up.

All the thia we got was flower veryed in colour from lite brown to dark browns some almost black in colour no leaf not all came in as sticks a lot was thia stick but a lot was also comprest simila to what the us gets or got from mexico.

Some of the best thia i ever smoket was rolled in papper and wen you un rolled them they looket like cigars just solled you could pic it up and tap a tapble with it and it had an od smell instent like not like your typical thia mj type smell wich was an earthy spicey like smell.

I even got hold of some opiemated thia sticks they were even more rear.

It was very rear to find seed like you say when some one did it was grown and breed and seed made.

The older guy i got this line from found only 3 seeds he germinated them found 1 fem 1 male 1 hermie culled the hermie grew the fem and male out made seeds and then from 1978 grew this out 6 generations each year selecting and only grew them out doors as his older now and new the value of such a line wanted to pass it out to keep it alive and i was one of few that was gifted it.

Whats strange sitting back thinking about it now is how we all back then took a lot of these strains for granted all the old lines we just thort would be around for ever are for the most part gone i dont pretend to know it all sam but personaly i get prity upset thinking about what we all have lost.

I collected things i liket personaly to smoke i never thort things would become hard to find always thort they be around and easy to find as did most were things went bad was seed storage few knew how to store seed right i like most thort putting them in a dry dark place in a container that was air proof was inuf it works for a few years but not decades as a lot of us worket out the hard way.

Comment

Original Haze (Seedsman) x Hash Plant (Sensi)

re British Hempire's Thai-i've had some of this recently and got 4 seeds from 1oz. I'm not convinced that it's Thai either. A friend commented only tonight that, minus the string, it reminded him of Jamaican weed that he'd come across in the past. I thought i'd germ mine and try them outdoors.
                              Last edited by EddieShoestring; 02-26-2008, 00:16.
                              Dragon Stout lay about

Comment

Awesome thread. A little controversial but that just lets yah know its worth the read =).

People are starting to get on the subject of Thai Stick and I wanted to bring up the Gypsy Nirvana Thai Stick Sativa and Luang Prabang Lao Sativa. Has anyone grown them out yet?

British_Hempire: Nice pic of the thai stick! Thats great that your friend had some seeds to share.

I like this quote from Sam

Sounds like there all kinds of terpene/terpenoids that can be expressed in Haze. I have been looking for something that would produce camphor! From the descriptions, it sounds as if Haze is a varied in its geneotypic expression.

Sam:I was curious.. is Haze just a generic term that you guys were using for the Sativas that you were working with or is there just a lot of variability in this ONE strain? There seems to be so much variability in the descriptions of Haze, like different colors and tastes. It seems to me like there are lots of different kinds to be found in original haze.
                                Last edited by jimbroker; 02-26-2008, 01:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X