What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Orange Diesel Intro

J

jimbroker

TheAfficianado - Nice post man. I like detailed posts like this.

Perhaps I should be watering with more volume but it does dribble out of the bottom so I believe I have been giving them just enough. The 250mls was definitely too little! My plants receive a watering between feedings and usually get watered or fed three times a week. The description of your system sounds like you flush than fertilize... probably a good idea. Fortunately heat is no longer a issue right now as it is winter in a cold place for me.

I think what has happened is this: too little nutrients for too long stunted leaf development amongst the branches. Thankfully, there are still large seven fingered fan leaves and calyx production does not seem to be affected. These plants are on the opposite spectrum of cinderella 99 as far as feeding.

I am also eagerly awaiting Holy Grail.

Last edited:
Cool jimbroker, I absolutely do flush then feed because it is what works for me after 22 years of growing. I am glad you took my post in the spirit it was intended.

From the pictures everyone is putting up it seems this is surely a 70 day strain unless it is the indica pheno.

The Afficianado

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Great googly-moogly you guys sure got some nice examples of the OD going. Looking forward to the smoke reports. Glad the citrus scent seems to predominate the bunch. I can barely imagine the possibilities when crossing it to something else.

Look for some new Grail seeds to hit the bay in 2-3 weeks. Definately worth the wait as Im continually impressed with the strain. Previous bid on auctions of the Grail have given me a fair idea on worth so the next offerings will be set at $50 buy nows for 15 seeds. Not to say its value is worth less than the OD's, its probably just as good a smoke or better in some ways, its just my interpretation of it.

One things for sure and that is the Holy Grail smoke is entirely different from the Orange Diesel smoke in taste, scent, and high. Uniquely different and complimentary at the same time. Both worthy of holding extended garden visits.

H

herbal essences

Quick shot of my bushy pheno at about 1 month into 12/12

check out my thread for more shots :wave:

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
hesh said:
Here is my girl at day 50.
Nice! :smile:

My one is currently 52 days (7wks 3 days) into flowering and looks very similar to yours, and Im telling ya I could quite happily harvest it now if I had to, but I'll probably let it go to around 60-65 to properly ripen up. Doesn't look like she'll need to go to 70 or beyond but I'll take each day as it comes. I won't take her beyond 70 anyway as Im running out of buds to smoke :lurk:

Hesh, you rock those are just beautiful plants and you give me hope and inspiration.

I know you probably told us in an earlier post, but how long did you veg from seed before putting them in flower and around how tall were they? And did you take cuttings for clones or just let them go all natural and if you were taking clones, was the cutting from the primary stem node or only from supplimentary stems.

And how tall are they right now as stretch has to be finished? How long is that cola in the second picture? And when did you stop with N ferts, during flower or right before going into flower? Thanks.

I am wondering at these questions because I want to max out my ODs, but I also want to take clones and make sure they have rooted so I don't lose a keeper. Meanwhile, I keep smoking the dried fan leaves from my harvested males and Northern Lights Bonzai Mother, so I need to put something in flower, but I have already invested so much time. So that is why the questions and I will go back and read the whole thread again.

The Afficianado

H

herbal essences

Afficianado if you check out my thread in my signature you can get a clue of what the stretch is like..

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
mine didnt stretch too much, i vegged it for one month and have ended up with a christmas tree about 2 feet tall, so very manageable

Mine's 56 days/8 weeks into 12/12 now and Ive just taken it off nutes and onto flushing, will probably harvest somewhere around day 65 altho it couldve easily been harvested at day 50. I cant see this particular one needing to go beyond 70 tho

I have begun to check out your thread, herbal essences, and have gone back a reviewed this entire thread. Quite frankly, I want to put them into flower now, but I think that they are too small and I think I have to wait until the 17th of Feb (a month).

Verite said he flowered his at between 18" and 21". Mine are at 10" to 12" even without severe training. Also I have not taken clones yet, which I always prefer to do during veg as they seem to revive quicker in veg. As I want the clones to be rooted for sure before I put these into flower, it looks like a good month before I will be able to do so.

This fact pisses me off, because I am now looking at a 3 and 1/2 month window which will be easily taking me out of winter and into spring and into the heat, right at the end of flowering during harvest. The only good thing is that all of my bud will be done at one time rather than staggered as I originally intended.

I had forgotten that growing from seed and getting a viable mother and rooting clones is really a 9 month project from the day you send off for your seeds. You wait for delivery, nutes, hatching etc.

Smoking takes the least time of all....

Here are two of my four plants. The first shot is both a few days before transplanting to 3 gallon pots

Next is two shots of a diploid male, that is one that has two main stalks, it is the result of the mutants Verite spoke of, but I like it:
And another view of the male:

Finally, the proven mother from which I will take my clones:

Sorry for the quality of the pics as they were taken on a freakin phone!

The Afficianado

Pics deleted because I'm paranoid

Last edited:

m@rg

go on .. pull my finger
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lookin sweet hesh and Afficianado, i know theres not enough days in the week for ganja
i never wait for my plants to become "sexually mature"
they get grown for 4 wks,no more no less.they usually end up about 12-16 inch tall
then i let them rip, for no less than 10 wks :joint:
heres one of mine at harvest ,about 85-90 days

a little bud off my other one

grow safe :joint:

D

Don Cotyle

Afficianado, I went to 12/12 when my ladys were 8-1" tal and they are 3-31/2' at 45+ days flowering, I think you'll be fine if you flower now and don't top. Unless you have more height you'r trying to fill. LMHO

M@rg, Hope your cold is over and your feeling better!!! Looking great as always...how's about a smoke-taste report???

I appreciate the comments guys. It is hard to judge height without a string because the main stalk is trained flush to the soil level of the container with home made coast hanger restraints. The stem is also bent at least in 270 degrees or in a full figure "S", depending on how much light can get into the center of the canopy for the supplimentary branches.

Thus, there are about 8 node intervals on each plant in the pictures, but the height is no more than 3 inches from the top of soil level. Now we all know that when OD sprout, they have freakishly tall seedlings, so when I did my first repot I buried them to the cotyledons. I think I have basically 3 inches of stalk not being used by the root system under the soil level, unless the stalk began growing roots-- which is entirely possible but I have been too busy to check. I just felt that I judge the characteristics of plants based upon node structure above the cotyledon given the same measurements of light, soil, and nutrients. Also, that much stem that early causes the young plants to be tied up because they cannot support themselves and takes precious vertical space. In fact, I can say that the seedling stalk was as tall, if not taller, than the maturing canopy for several weeks.

After repotting up to the cotyledons, the canopies of three out of four of the plants were very indica dominant-- wide leaves and very short internodes, despite having the seedling growth spurt. As Indica dominant plants are what I am aiming for, this pleased me greatly, but I feared they would be males. So when I got female preflowers on at least one, and then two out of the four, I knew I could make clones and keep some good mothers.

I haven't cut on my ODs at all. And though I brutally train for auxin production to inspire faster growth on the lower branches, which I feel is a must with indica dominant plants, I absolutely do not cut the top/main stalk for a clone. Which leads to question I have not read in any thread but may have been discussed: if I use a lower, less dominant branch for a cloned mother rather than the main stalk, will my future clones taken from that mother be less potent than if I had dedicated the main stalk instead?

I really love the main cola, and thus I save it for harvest. But if not sacrificing the main cola to a dedicated rooted clone bonzai mother for posterity, am I instead wasting the genetic potential of all future clones by smoking the great main cola in the first flowering? Or do you think that given equal amounts of light and attention, all clones taken from a mother gene pool are equal, with no difference in potentcy determined by where (at what level on the mother's branches) and when they were harvested from the mother?

That is a really long question.... Hey M@rg, what kind of lighting do you use for your plants? Those are huge and they really tripled in size if you started flower at around 4 weeks/8". Do you feed them N into the beginning of flower?

Thanks for the replies,

The Afficianado

m@rg

go on .. pull my finger
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey don ....will be soon mate ,i can breathe again
hey Afficianado ,wherever u take a cut ,it will share exact dna as mother, they reccomend taking off the lower reigon of the plant ,because of nitrogen issues with rooting ,dont see how using the main cola is gonna give u any different/more bud to a lower reigon cutting ....but i may be wrong

as far as lighting goes... from seed/rooted cutting straight under 250w mh until flower where i use a 600w hps then add the mh in the last weeks
i offer them nitrogen "grow" in half doses until week 5 of flowering ,then i let the "bloom"nutes do the rest
:joint:

Last edited:

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
I am now about 1 or 2 days away from harvest :smile: :smile: :smile:
I cut one bud off two days ago as I'm such an impatient prick, that's nearly dry (I've left it in the flower chamber to dry)

Verite,
I must say these are some of the most gorgeous looking buds I have ever seen. Absolutely stunning foxtail stuff, and very dense trichome coverage too. Its one of those plants that you can tell is a winner even before smoking it

And I've still got 14 beans left!

J

jimbroker

Here is an update on my plants. I am glad I vegged them as long as I did because I have lots of sidebranching. If the colas fatten up than I will have a nice yield. I have also taken clones from all of my plants and they are doing well. They don't have a real strong smell except when I shake them a bit.

I got about 7-8 inches of stretch as my plants were about ~20 inches before 12/12 and they are now all around ~28 inches.

Here are the pics:

A shot of the three ladies after 23 days 12/12

A frosty cola

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts