What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make a good hybrid with an african sativa strain?

Hi Africaseeds,

To really unselect some aromas that you dislike for example it would be better to use its genetic as a male pole i think. Play the female selection for the terps declinaison i mean... If the cross is with indica in this way you can easier develop bigger stucture too but in the other hand the flo time should be longer.

I think that female (terps) x male (stucture) as a generally way of mind for breeding perspective but of course there's always some surprises and stronger genetics that can surpass others and break the general first combinaison expected. (indica often surpass sativa from my experience)

Anyway there's also some good fruity/honey things to find in Africa, for sure in minority and its selection is hard from landrace but doing pure tasty African F1 is possible and represents really cool projects! Things like my last Zamb (tropical fruity bubble) x Swaz (spicy coca cola) ya but many many more things to create and develop in the terpeny Afro vibes.

Thanks that makes sense. I'm gonna try that approach you mentioned to have the african sativa as a male. I actually made a cross like that using a Rooibaard male. I did )Sour Apple Truffle from terpfi3nd x Tree of Life Bx from Cannabeizen) x Rooibaard (male). I still need to grow them out :)

There used to be a Chocolate Swazi around here back in the day. Wish I could find that now!
Normal swazi is also cool but yeah got a spicey smell.

Some African sativas just plain have really gross tasting bitter terps and some don't even smell good, they just burn your nose.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Some African sativas just plain have really gross tasting bitter terps and some don't even smell good, they just burn your nose.

Ya the pepper dark aroma is strong with African strains but thanks to landrace diversity there's also some few others smooth spicy or fruity ones in a same strain, but yes harder to find for sure, good grow bro chances are!

PDX Dopesmoker

living in a cold climate kind of sucks.

The other day I found one last seed from last year in my fridge. It´s lowryder auto and I´m thinking of popping it and putting it by my the window.

I started some autos in a little plastic tent at the beginning of Feb last year, they ended up taking a few weeks longer than the same strain does during the summer, but it worked out. Indoors, I've been transplanting my males and growing them in the window sill with a little grow lamp on them after they show sex. They turn their foliage to face the window regardless the presence of the lamp, so I guess growing a plant in the window might even yield something more than it's entertainment value.

PDX Dopesmoker

Hehe really cool which one is that?
Keen to hear where you got it. You can send me a dm on IG my username is africaseeds :)

These were the labels in the two bags I got
POH2Avk.jpg

I forget which was label was which type, but the other one I got was that flavor that you say you don't like. That stuff is some of the best weed I ever grew or smoked, you can fix other strains by crossing it with that one. The group of seeds I got with that flavor had a fast finishing pheno & a longer one. I'm hoping to separate the two of those eventually, but I only got one male from 13 seeds the first year I grew them so I might be stuck with whatever type that guy was. I think he was probably the longer type because I got 3 of 4 longer flowering females the 2nd year I grew them.

Im'One

My tashkenti didn't taste great and the cross I made with island sweet skunk didn't either, but my God the colas!

Nice that came from here. Came from kilo's of unlabeled stuff from Swaziland that we sorted.
Here is the pic of one of the buds we got it from.

KmieQgZ.png

ankhori

Hello AfricaSeeds!!

Very nice to read about make hybrids. Im more to OTH & Honduras from Ace Seeds about exotic smell and taste and very good high but as you ask about african strains the only I tried is Etiopia from Ace Seeds and Malawi Gold from RSC, but Malawi Gold from RSC didnt have bite taste, in fact was so good, like spicy earth "oil" smell if that make sense. No "marijuana" smell. Only complain is the low smell they have. You need to stay less than 1 meter to smell it, and when you smell, is not like typical marijuana smell.

About the Etiopia strain from Ace Seeds I have to admit is not the most refined smell, not strongly bad, but far away from OTH fruit smell or wood incense exotics smells. If you want to improve the taste, dont go to Etiopia. The high was good, but taste not.

I think you can cross Malawi Gold to other strains and select for this good taste and smell. But if you want stronger smell, Malawi Gold is not good choice.

Hope it helps, wish you luck!

Hello AfricaSeeds!!

Very nice to read about make hybrids. Im more to OTH & Honduras from Ace Seeds about exotic smell and taste and very good high but as you ask about african strains the only I tried is Etiopia from Ace Seeds and Malawi Gold from RSC, but Malawi Gold from RSC didnt have bite taste, in fact was so good, like spicy earth "oil" smell if that make sense. No "marijuana" smell. Only complain is the low smell they have. You need to stay less than 1 meter to smell it, and when you smell, is not like typical marijuana smell.

About the Etiopia strain from Ace Seeds I have to admit is not the most refined smell, not strongly bad, but far away from OTH fruit smell or wood incense exotics smells. If you want to improve the taste, dont go to Etiopia. The high was good, but taste not.

I think you can cross Malawi Gold to other strains and select for this good taste and smell. But if you want stronger smell, Malawi Gold is not good choice.

Hope it helps, wish you luck!

Thanks I'll give that a try. I actually have a big amount of Malawi Gold I got from someone recently. Growing up I had malawi gold once and it stank up my whole room, almost like how people describe RKS.

troutman

Seed Whore
I made Special Malawi Gold. :biggrin:

It's a 3-way hybrid of 3 Malawi types using 2 Malawi Gold (African Seeds) males from a very old seed pack pollinating another Malawi hybrid.

Normally, crossing an Indica with a Sativa makes a good hybrid. ;)

PDX Dopesmoker

Nice that came from here. Came from kilo's of unlabeled stuff from Swaziland that we sorted.
Here is the pic of one of the buds we got it from.

View Image

Thanks for the picture, that one might be the one I used for the auto cross or it might be the other one with the off flavor that you don't like. Your record keeping is better than mine with respect to the labels, unfortunately I lost track of which variety is 565 & which is the pot leaf one. Looking at the bud in the picture I'm guessing that one is the one with the off flavor, that one looks like this when its grown out in Oregon:
Long flowing pheno
N86Y4UN.jpg

Fast finishing pheno
Z4jkftJ.jpg

And it produces dark seeds like in your picture, the other strain that I used with the auto makes speckled tan seeds.
Those ones that make the dark seeds are great plants, pretty much completely resistant to the elements, they don't get mold or rot and they grow nicely in October & November, cold weather doesn't bother them or even slow them down very much.

PDX Dopesmoker

This is what the one of the crosses of that other strain and the autoflower looks like indoors at about 7 weeks. No sign at all of senescence at 7 or so weeks when grown in consistently warm temperatures indoors, but it looks like it doesn't like being that close to the LEDs, the leaf tips are dying a little.
FBnK7xo.jpg

Exciting results, long flowering autos interest me, but I didn't start enough seeds to get lucky with a boy so I had to use a cross of Strawb bagseed with the same auto strain as the male, so I'll probably be crossing that back to the original South African seeds again later after I find the autoflowering ones from the first batch.