What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make a good hybrid with an african sativa strain?

How would you make a nice hybrid with an african sativa strain.
Let's say you take a landrace indica and plan on making a cross with an african sativa.
Would you use the african sativa for a male or for a female (if you wanted to make a great sativa/indica hybrid)

Also my most important question is:
Most african strains have bitter and undersirable terps that don't taste very good. How would you make cross that wouldn't have those undesirable/bitter terps?

El Timbo

A hybrid needn't be sativa x indica - it can also be sativa x sativa. You can try using your sativa as either mother or father and compare the results.

How do you ensure your hybrid doesn't have undesirable traits? You can't I'm afraid - you just have to try it and see.

A commercial example of what you are talking about would be Malawi X Pakistani Citral Kush by ACE.

Thanks, my question was kind of more geared towards someone who has already done it.
Just kind of want to know if there is a specific way to make a hybrid (f1) that won't have the bitter terps/taste from an african sativa.

Yeah I know you can cross two sativas too to make a hybrid thanks, think most people who make hybrids with african sativas would use an indica so they can bring down the long flowering time.

Thanks for your reponse.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
DJ Short recommends using the Indica as the father.

As far as taste and terps go, you just have to grow them out and see. No way to ensure an outcome.

Maybe use the PCK from Ace seeds as it is stable, a proven breeder, and dominate in taste and terps that hit the fruits range.

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
Choose plants from a line or lines that have desirable flavors to begin with. Either parent can be Indica or Sativa.

Choose plants from a line or lines that have desirable flavors to begin with. Either parent can be Indica or Sativa.

Thanks that makes a great deal of sense.
I guess it will take a big selection to get that.

Thanks for the point about using an indica male too...also read about that when reading over DJ Short's posts long ago.

Thanks, my question was kind of more geared towards someone who has already done it.
Just kind of want to know if there is a specific way to make a hybrid (f1) that won't have the bitter terps/taste from an african sativa.

Yeah I know you can cross two sativas too to make a hybrid thanks, think most people who make hybrids with african sativas would use an indica so they can bring down the long flowering time.

Thanks for your reponse.

Usually when breeding land-race with regular commercial cultivars the F1 hybrid will not have all the desirable traits you want, its even more difficult breeding two different land-races together because the cross may produce unknown genetic deficiencies in the progeny.

Around F2-F3+ you will start finding phenos that you like as long as you've selected favorable parents from the F1 generation.

I've been working with alot of pakistani specimens lately and they're very fickle to breed.

If you notice your hybrid has a specific genetic deficiency like hybrid necrosis you can remedy it by simply out breeding to a more hardy varietal than backcrossing those offsprings with the original parent, this way you transfer hybrid vigor and hardiness that (hopefully) knocks the hybrid necrosis out of the gene pool.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Thanks that makes a great deal of sense.
I guess it will take a big selection to get that.

Thanks for the point about using an indica male too...also read about that when reading over DJ Short's posts long ago.
Yup! I follow a US grower and it is not uncommon to have to grow through 2/3 runs (sometimes more) to get at where he was going. Terps being only part of the equation.

PDX Dopesmoker

Why would anyone take a wonderful african sativa and want to fuck it up by hybridizing?

I don't get it.

I got this one from africaseeds through the grapvine.
fnUh1Bc.jpg

I'm sure its a kick ass plant for growing outdoors in South Africa, but here it flowers late in the season and it picks up fungus once the weather gets cool and damp. I've grown out four females so far and they've all gone the same way, flowers nicely for about 8 weeks and then fungus goes crazy on it and messes it up, so I hybridized it with a polyhybrid autoflower in hopes of eventually getting to flower the stuff at a less cool and damp time of year when I can get it to go longer than 8 weeks.

Cuddles

View Image
I'm sure its a kick ass plant for growing outdoors in South Africa, but here it flowers late in the season and it picks up fungus once the weather gets cool and damp. I've grown out four females so far and they've all gone the same way, flowers nicely for about 8 weeks and then fungus goes crazy on it and messes it up, so I hybridized it with a polyhybrid autoflower in hopes of eventually getting to flower the stuff at a less cool and damp time of year when I can get it to go longer than 8 weeks.
have you sampled it at 8 weeks, what´s it like? not too great I imagine.

making your own autos .... cool! :):good:

PDX Dopesmoker

have you sampled it at 8 weeks, what´s it like? not too great I imagine.

making your own autos .... cool! :):good:

Its pretty good stuff. It has a nice flavor and a good high, and it but there isn't much resin on the plant overall at 8 weeks because the buds are so lightweight, and thats probably attributable to the 8 weeks occurring across Sept, Oct, Nov when some of the days are useless and its too cold a lot of the time. I wouldn't bother trying to make an auto version if I didn't think the original version was a good plant. Its also pretty safe to guess that nobody in South Africa would've bothered growing it to begin with if it wasn't a good plant, whatever trouble it has growing in Oregon probably had to do with the local climate.

Cuddles

Its pretty good stuff. It has a nice flavor and a good high, and it but there isn't much resin on the plant overall at 8 weeks because the buds are so lightweight, and thats probably attributable to the 8 weeks occurring across Sept, Oct, Nov when some of the days are useless and its too cold a lot of the time. I wouldn't bother trying to make an auto version if I didn't think the original version was a good plant. Its also pretty safe to guess that nobody in South Africa would've bothered growing it to begin with if it wasn't a good plant, whatever trouble it has growing in Oregon probably had to do with the local climate.
living in a cold climate kind of sucks.

The other day I found one last seed from last year in my fridge. It´s lowryder auto and I´m thinking of popping it and putting it by my the window.

View Image

Hehe really cool which one is that?
Keen to hear where you got it. You can send me a dm on IG my username is africaseeds :)

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hi Africaseeds,

To really unselect some aromas that you dislike for example it would be better to use its genetic as a male pole i think. Play the female selection for the terps declinaison i mean... If the cross is with indica in this way you can easier develop bigger stucture too but in the other hand the flo time should be longer.

I think that female (terps) x male (stucture) as a generally way of mind for breeding perspective but of course there's always some surprises and stronger genetics that can surpass others and break the general first combinaison expected. (indica often surpass sativa from my experience)

Anyway there's also some good fruity/honey things to find in Africa, for sure in minority and its selection is hard from landrace but doing pure tasty African F1 is possible and represents really cool projects! Things like my last Zamb (tropical fruity bubble) x Swaz (spicy coca cola) ya but many many more things to create and develop in the terpeny Afro vibes.

Latest posts

Latest posts