What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

G13... Legends, Theories, and Facts

TheDarkStorm

Hi Dark i meant pure G13 clone mate i know shanti has G13 crosses and i was given the G13/Hawaiian by some one i grew it out and binned it .

If there are any G13 out there they be S1 at best mate Nevil told me he did not believe any clones from the original would be still around as his died years before.

The G13/Sk is with out question the strongest indica i have ever smoked i was lucky found great G13 expressive plants. I showed Nevil pictures and he told me they looked like the G13.

Yes hempy the clone aquired by shanti I think some time in the last five years is supposedly pure g13...theres a thread over ther on it and pictures..shanti had the bud from this clone at spanish event and the jar labbled as pure g13, ther should be pictures...he has redone most of the g13 hybrid lines using this clone....g13 x AC uses this newly acquired clone. Like I said I personally think its some sort of s1 because this thing now yields ridiculously huge...so who knows....but nevil said its legit publicly, shanti is saying its legit and ortega is saying its legit....so what ever it is whether s1 or wat ever it seems to be the only legit pure thing around.

St. Phatty

I bought a clone labelled G13 from Organicann in Santa Rosa CA in the 00's.

It had an unusually thick stem, that would sort of "eat up" the stems of side branches into one big thick blob main stem.

Smoke was not great but it was super vigorous.

B.T. Herb

No gas on my 4 females (..and no incense on those girls, before anyone asks.:biggrin:)
Also, the strain isn’t super pungent hazey, like some Haze hybrids can be, it’s abit more subtle but still the aromas are quite complex. The liver/leather was a part of a complex aroma, not very pungent.

G13 seems to be abit bland in aroma, and it seems to tune down the smells abit but it's effect goes pretty well with sativas cause it's not super complex in effect so it allows the sativa effect to shine thru, imo. ..thou, my G13Hz keeper has quite a head stone and will make you sit down if you're a light smoker or you smoke too much of it. But not all of them are that stoned in the head.

Here’s my PacificG13 x NL5 (Gordy’s Spice18 by Motarebel)
..it’s a G13 leaning pheno …a dwarf/short indica, not much stretch in bloom.

View Image

View Image

Here's my G13Haze keeper

View Image

View Image

stunning , man. great hand you got!
it recalls same leaf shape i know. and that latest foxtailing... a wonderful sister.
any sapphic:kiss: meeting?

GoatCheese

Veteran
Yes hempy the clone aquired by shanti I think some time in the last five years is supposedly pure g13...theres a thread over ther on it and pictures..shanti had the bud from this clone at spanish event and the jar labbled as pure g13, ther should be pictures...he has redone most of the g13 hybrid lines using this clone....g13 x AC uses this newly acquired clone. Like I said I personally think its some sort of s1 because this thing now yields ridiculously huge...so who knows....but nevil said its legit publicly, shanti is saying its legit and ortega is saying its legit....so what ever it is whether s1 or wat ever it seems to be the only legit pure thing around.
My understanding is that G13 was/is a big yielder if you veg it long enough. Dr Greenthumbs G13 s1 seem to be big yielders but I’ve never grown any of those myself

GoatCheese

Veteran
stunning , man. great hand you got!
it recalls same leaf shape i know. and that latest foxtailing... a wonderful sister.
any sapphic:kiss: meeting?
Thanks. Actually i'm not the best grower, jsut easy strains to grow i guess

"Sapphic meeting"? Do you mean have i created fem seeds with those plants? No i haven't but the plan is to try selfing the G13Hz at some point and look for the same HZ pheno but without the super head stone in it. The Haze pheno is about the ultimate sativa i can think of 100% ...it really is that good.

I have never made fem seeds yet but the G13Hz is going to be the first one to try it with.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

I have not spoken or chatted to shanti about genetics in years mate so to be fully honest i would not be up to date on what his doing or what is even being posted at MrNice.

All i know is up until 2013 as far as Mrnice goes after that i lost interest in the forums and the rest.

I know the genetics i collected and what i was lucky to collect there info and history.

The G13 is a very strong indica even Nevil and shanti have both said it was lacking in other departments.

It is a great tool to use in breeding projects.

G13Fan

I grew a hazeman g13 seed outdoors this year it was a male the plant was big puffball 3 foot tall looking bulky like a cotton ball shape and rank stinky. I had to pull it in favor of a crippy male for the cross crop breeder seed and yanked the G. Will try again soon yea it's bland but the power is there that is good. Delta blues was close tho Duke really hit it close if I grow it better it should be better flavor but the high was real good shined over most bud.

J-Icky

MNS G13Skunk = G13Skunk x Skunk. I grew out 3 females years ago. Nothing to write home about. Bland taste, effect wasn’t very interesting.Having little NL with that won't hurt abit, can only make it better.

MNS G13Widow was also crossed with a skunk. So it’s G13Widow x Skunk
..Bullshit marketing by Shanti to sell it as G13Widow when it actually has Skunk in it.

I thought G13Widow was actually G13Skunk x Widow, not G13Widow x Skunk. At least that was the story years back when I acquired my seeds.

rolandomota

My theory is that you can still find it today in Afghanistan haven't you seen all the diversity and seeds they make? I find it hard to believe that you can't find similar weed today I mean multiple big huge burlap sacks full of seeds and that's just one grow one field one group of people just imagine how many seeds are out their big sacks big lol

GoatCheese

Veteran
I thought G13Widow was actually G13Skunk x Widow, not G13Widow x Skunk. At least that was the story years back when I acquired my seeds.
I think you’re right. At MNS web site the lineage is told to be: Afghan/skunk, South Indian, Brazilian
Making it G13Skunk x Black Widow

Did you grow any of those? How were they?

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

Found this thought it useful

Originally Posted by Shantibaba

Hi All

well it is always the start of a certain misinterpretation if I do not nip this bud as you all have valid ways of looking at the information stated, in my opinion.

Nevil worked for some years with the female clone G13 until it died.At this time he combined certain traits to gain original parent lines to preserve the G13 in a form that would express its genes. He passed me many years ago a seeds already to go on with...and before that I had passed on male pollen from the widow and the skunk#1 I was using...as we both did on several occasions.

When I got those seeds from Nevil they were labelled G13/sk. I therefore did a selection and combined the selected female to both males...skunk#1 and widow.But Nevil had also done a combination with the G13 to the widow pollen as well as the skunk #1pollen and in fact several others like G13/haze, G13 /ortega...and a few obscure others. The work I did was interbreeding then combining the 3 generation interbreed with the orignal male again...thus adding the strain description with the extra male label.During the interbreebing stages the main criterion was to select for G13 traits and not the Skunk, but considering all of you prefer to be definite as far as possible with the origins I liked to explain all the possible influences that the breed could express in F1 form.

Since this is not so simple to explain as breeding sometimes is it was simplified to the current description. Let me add I still have those old seeds of Nev as well as several lines of interbred seed at different stages so everything in my work can be replicated.As for the work from Nev, it cannot be replicated as there is no longer the pure G13 female. Hope that clears up as much as possible the ancestry of this question.All the best Sb

"Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." -Lao Tzu

all the best,
Shantibaba
https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/3187-post12.html
Originally Posted by Shantibaba
Hi All

well read most of the thread and got to mention a few things that bother me.

First Neville offered the G13 originally and it was never copied ...only a decade later when Soma and Reeferman bought some old hybrid seeds from Nevil through third parties did it appear again in other companies. The original G13 mother died and only seed existed from the early 90s onwards. No one including Arjan ever had access to Nevil and my library of mothers and fathers...just what was on the greenhouse list pre 98...but considering no one kept things alive they were forced to use F1 seed to gain back things...but even then there was no access to G13 in any pure form.

So now that Medical seeds are offering G13 as a feminised seed or other companies are offering G13 hybrids...well they are only names with distant relation to the originals. People renamed things and use a common name to piggy back their new seed on to the market. Why would I tell the growers that G13 mother died if I was only interested in making money from other people's dreams of owning something pure? It is not my or Nevilles way so it is not the truth that so many of these G13 strains survived so well through time.

Since I re-released G13 skunk and G13 widow some years back the piggy backers took off again...and the legend was rekindled. Whatever you all believe I find it most difficult to believe there is a pure G13 alive. The best that could be expected would be an old F1 seed or even F2 seed...but most of the time it is a new breeder using an old name to sell his wares.It does not help anyone except that breeder and it would be best for them to rename it with affiliated origins attached to G13 in some way. I am really afraid that all these ways of new companies do not help clarify an urban myth but propagate it to the maximum.Those who believe what is written rather than research perpetuate the myth and so it goes on and on and on...just like this G13 myth. I am sorry to all of those who really educate themselves but the facts are so evident , if it were not for money makers in this industry maybe people who start their own seed companies would name their own seeds with original names and stop confusing the masses.

All the best Sb

GoatCheese

Veteran
Good find, Hempy
[FONT=&quot]Originally Posted by Shantibaba[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But Nevil had also done a combination with the G13 to the widow pollen as well as the skunk #1pollen and in fact several others like G13/haze, G13 /ortega...and a few obscure others.[/FONT]
Yea, I thought I remembered Nevil also doing G13Widow and so remembered the MNS G13Widow lineage wrong. Should have checked before posting.

[FONT=&quot]Originally Posted by Shantibaba[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Since I re-released G13 skunk and G13 widow some years back the piggy backers took off again...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]..if it were not for money makers in this industry maybe people who start their own seed companies would name their own seeds with original names and stop confusing the masses.

All the best Sb[/FONT]
LOL!!! ..and ironically, then Shanti himself sells his G13SkunkWidow with a false name. Bit of an ego..

CaptainDankness

so who sold dr greenthumb g13? and previously said it doesnt exist?

At first he claimed it was sold to him by Double D, who claimed for years Dr Greenthumb was full of shit, he was definitely right because once Dogless (supposedly the legendary Jim Ortega, lol) claimed he sold the original G13 to Dr. Greenthumb the doc claimed it was true and he sold a lot more of his insanely priced so called G13 fems, pretty sure the price has dropped but he was getting $200 for 2 seeds but he was extremely generous and gave a 3rd free. LMAO

I personally think it's all a bunch of bullshit and G13 was never all that special. Big Bud won more awards than G13 it's all a bunch of hyped up stories about a mythical origin. Never grown a terrible G13 cross, they've just never been amazing either.

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
I personally think it's all a bunch of bullshit and G13 was never all that special. Big Bud won more awards than G13 it's all a bunch of hyped up stories about a mythical origin. Never grown a terrible G13 cross, they've just never been amazing either.

Where do you think the G13 originated? What Country or region? Do you think it's possible for a dedicated Pheno Hunter to find it (or something very close) in some Landrace genetics?

CaptainDankness

Where do you think the G13 originated? What Country or region? Do you think it's possible for a dedicated Pheno Hunter to find it (or something very close) in some Landrace genetics?

I would imagine Afghanistan, though I'm sure some of the surrounding countries have good Indicas as well. Definitely possible to get something just as good if not better. Still it's a little hard for me to say what the actual G13 cut was like as pretty much only Nevil and a few others have smoked the cut. Stories of Jim Ortega keeping it this long are just that, stories. Airborne G13 more stories, the proof is in the seeds, I'd personally rather grow another Super Skunk than another G13 cross, just better flavors IMO.

Of course in the 80's it was one of the strongest strains, 2021 we have much stronger strains with some wild terpine profiles. I'm sure a lot do have G13 lineage but you breed the dankest bud to the dankest bud for 40 years you're going to get some insanely dank plants. GG#4 is better than anything I've gotten from G13 crosses, probably better than the original cut, I just wish it grew more like Critical Mass, but in due time I will make it. :artist:

CaptainDankness

Right on, Critical Gorilla?

Sounds like some of the Trolls out there!!

Definitely sounds like it would be a great cross, I love Critical Mass about the nicest buds you can grow and quick as hell, flavor and potency are pretty good as well, but if I can get the potency, resin production and terpine profile of GG#4 on the quicker bigger Critical Mass it will be amazing.

Thinking I'm just going to select males outdoors, the last time I tried indoors was a disaster, never seen more seeds in bud in my life. Lol

Nannymouse

420giveaway
Well, 15 "abg 75%" plants were grown, 8 girls. From someone that went by 'Northwind'. ALL the plants were of the columnar type, with most having no lower branching. They did hold fan leaves out, but when those were trimmed there was no branching. So unless the northern lights #2 was columnar (i've only grown onePG13Oasis, way back when, and it was bushy) I'm going to have to think that the abg13 is more leaning to a hashplant than a northern lights #2. Not going to argue it, who knows what these really were, or what 'northwind' had that northwind thought was abg13.

Latest posts

Latest posts