What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So what are the latest fandangled strains getting around?

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So what are the latest fandangled strains getting around?
What's currently topping the charts and why?

thx

billy

clearheaded

gushers, gelonade (lemon treeXbiscotti), it would appear lemon is back..

next few years are going to see even more of a push for true exotic "landrace" var i feel. seeds more widely available and few guys making a good selection. burnt rubber skunk not just OG crosses. and of course some shorter flowering more practical NLD var maybe columbian and durban, maybe indian or hym..

prob a shift away from candy terms and gain more mature names, particularly with legalization regulators arent into having "kid" friendly names. maybe more olde timey cocktail wine and wiskey terms. ie gin for piney, liquirice sambuca. lends itself for hash artists mixed piney flavor with orange or other fruit "gin and juice"

judging by this site, maybe alot more NLD in general, but tuff for growers getting money for wispy looking sativa nugs that take longer and often harder to grow..

and why are things toping the charts? marketing/pretty IG pics. id like to think will mature to more of an effect based hype, but much of a tuffer sell then purple orange caked up rock hard nugs, so probably not wide spread. why i thought DJ was cool as selects for effects then flavor, smooth smoke(ie less harsh kush flavors) and of course is intertwined, vs looks and pure loud.

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's it??? I mean I see a lot more about old strains being mentioned around here lately, not all that much about new and exciting strains making their debut as they commonly used to do.

In years gone by, there was almost always something new on the horizon. often multiple strains contending for first place in the marketplace at any one time, and I mean strains that'd grab the attention of a large proportion of the grow community. Now most of what I'm seeing is raves about strains from 10-20 or more years ago, anything new rarely ever seems to make it onto the bucket lists. Are the newer breeds not enduring ongoing market demand for a reason?

Does anyone here know of anything new that's really got that enduring 'Wow!' factor that's likely to see it through as a winner for a long time to come?

thx,

billy

Last edited:

Gaussamer

There are commercial heads now that just flip hype in my opinion, those are the next big things now. Going back to the older strains and finding new stuff that's not just another OG cross makes good sense on the other hand, and I see more older heads doing that. With legalization rolling along I think there's more of a focus on elite cuts than pollen chuck breeding but I hope people are still going to make heirloom lines that are original. Fire genetics will still rise to the top in certain circles, but the hype train itself is on commercial rails laid by legal only weed smokers.

I'd like to see AK47 make a comeback but I don't think it will unless it's popularized and folks start digging through the genetics for elite cuts. I've grown a few of the legendary strains from 30-40 years ago and they are good, but dated. A lot of work has been done for the modern commercial strains, even if they are overrated they're at least refined overall. There's more potential in the classic lines though, at least in my opinion.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive grown many of those old school clone only's. Not many reminded me of my youth. Theirs a big difference between a true unique clone and good weed. Most is good weed but not much uniqueness.. Everyone's growing and breeding the same lines it seems. I haven't used someones clone only in years. I just currently got a clone only but I will be doing a collab with Beleaf using his White Truffle crossed with my work. I wish more people would do more breeding using there selections and then doing collabs. Making s1 or f2 is just ridding coattails it's not progress.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
some popular cuts were not made in some breeding programs, ogk, glue or sour diesel for example. they are more product of accident and found by normal growers. later some "breeders" jump on them. same with original haze from santa cruz, no breeding program, just crossing what they had and bump! magic happened.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's like McDonalds... first couple times it's nice and you crave it along with millions of others, then after a short while- you're sick of it and start craving some good old lettuce and broccoli again which is now hard to come by because everything is sugar and in-your-face.
Same with Music... that stuff that everyone can easily get behind initially gets the likes but after a while it's too sugar coated and sick sweet and you want something with a bit more content/essence etc...and you turn from autotune to Tschaikowski or something...

Happy Times

Runtz?

Just a guess, I’m not to hip with the commercial scene

There’s a pretty good Runtz thread on here

Sunshineinabag

gushers, gelonade (lemon treeXbiscotti), it would appear lemon is back..

next few years are going to see even more of a push for true exotic "landrace" var i feel. seeds more widely available and few guys making a good selection. burnt rubber skunk not just OG crosses. and of course some shorter flowering more practical NLD var maybe columbian and durban, maybe indian or hym..

prob a shift away from candy terms and gain more mature names, particularly with legalization regulators arent into having "kid" friendly names. maybe more olde timey cocktail wine and wiskey terms. ie gin for piney, liquirice sambuca. lends itself for hash artists mixed piney flavor with orange or other fruit "gin and juice"

judging by this site, maybe alot more NLD in general, but tuff for growers getting money for wispy looking sativa nugs that take longer and often harder to grow..

and why are things toping the charts? marketing/pretty IG pics. id like to think will mature to more of an effect based hype, but much of a tuffer sell then purple orange caked up rock hard nugs, so probably not wide spread. why i thought DJ was cool as selects for effects then flavor, smooth smoke(ie less harsh kush flavors) and of course is intertwined, vs looks and pure loud.

@ insight based on logic and intelligence! I'm overklempt
Wedding cake was nice but the folks who act like they have coca cola secret formula with these cultivars make me wanna avoid em....inbred penis olympics at times

Sunshineinabag

So I was watching a YouTube cznna channel where the interviews were based solely on sativa cola flowers being sold in mini pringles type containers with lineage....potency numbers looked like it was well done..maybe higher end sativa farmers should embrace that.....whispy flowers can hit a fool hard lol

Sunshineinabag

That's it??? I mean I see a lot more about old strains being mentioned around here lately, not all that much about new and exciting strains making their debut as they commonly used to do.

In years gone by, there was almost always something new on the horizon. often multiple strains contending for first place in the marketplace at any one time, and I mean strains that'd grab the attention of a large proportion of the grow community. Now most of what I'm seeing is raves about strains from 10-20 or more years ago, anything new rarely ever seems to make it onto the bucket lists. Are the newer breeds not enduring ongoing market demand for a reason?

Does anyone here know of anything new that's really got that enduring 'Wow!' factor that's likely to see it through as a winner for a long time to come?

thx,

billy

I DISTINCTLY remember driving w my grandpa chinka....up i95 I think It was in Florida with the windows down ......orange blossoms .......give .e goosebumps on my toenails! Someone needs to see if we can get canna to develop such sweetness omfg

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm focusing on tightly worked, multi-generational lines that have been intelligently stacked based on core base genetic families: Blueberry. Chem. Diesel. Sour. OG. Bubba. Cookie. Glue. Haze.

I'm not too big into fads - and I strongly agree with the sentiment that Hammerhead just stated. There needs to be more originality - but at the same time, it's always fair to draw parallels from the micro-brew and beer industry markets - a very large swath of the population just wants to drink a beer, and I presume most people are just going to want to smoke a joint.

I don't think most are pretending anymore in terms of admitting, I'm growing what the mass market consumer wants vs the best cannabis possible at any and all cost.

It seems to be working good for most people and there are certainly different marketing tactics being utilized - but a lot of it really does come down to marketing - and how willing people are to support your branding and image, or who they individually desire to be aligned with for whatever contingencies - more so, than it ultimately does the bottom line of who truly has the best flowers...

I think that same general distrust of something being declared the best - which, by all means, is subjective when discussing cannabis for many different reasons - is the same reason the market isn't too keen on those declaring themselves such...

It seems to me - the most successful version of marketing is the - "I'm just out here trying to do my thing, living my best life - just sharing what I enjoy with the world" - with a literal shit ton of product placement involved in every single facet of the structured and created scenario as it plays into the identity of the brand itself - and ultimately, it's about target market and specific audience appeal. Some of it is about gaining - but most seems to be about carving out your own cult following and ensuring their dollars are spent with you and retaining that constant interest with gimmicks and stickers and shelf cluttering trinket collabs, etc, etc

I'm not knocking the game - just my own opinion on what I see happening. Truly, it's almost at a point where it doesn't matter what you're growing, if you can grow it well. There is enough faux frost and early chopped, poorly grown "top shelf" - THE NEW BULK - there is plenty of room for people to carve out their own version of success in the market.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

HillBillyAlien

There are commercial heads now that just flip hype in my opinion, those are the next big things now. Going back to the older strains and finding new stuff that's not just another OG cross makes good sense on the other hand, and I see more older heads doing that. With legalization rolling along I think there's more of a focus on elite cuts than pollen chuck breeding but I hope people are still going to make heirloom lines that are original. Fire genetics will still rise to the top in certain circles, but the hype train itself is on commercial rails laid by legal only weed smokers.

I'd like to see AK47 make a comeback but I don't think it will unless it's popularized and folks start digging through the genetics for elite cuts. I've grown a few of the legendary strains from 30-40 years ago and they are good, but dated. A lot of work has been done for the modern commercial strains, even if they are overrated they're at least refined overall. There's more potential in the classic lines though, at least in my opinion.

Cherry Ak47 is popular

B.T. Herb

s they are more product of accident and found by normal growers.

getting OT, maybe

may you explain,please?

sounds little bit elitist your distinction between what's normal from what HAS to be damned cool.don't really wanna seems harsh, i really got what you say about: a missed male, or at least an erma, is not a breeding project but, let me understand:
since a grower find something ...he's just a grower. even if he had work for it,even if he had spent days thinking about how he could get the best from what he's working with, even on a small scala, even starting by few seeds.and that... just because he's the bwoy. well, let me say:

I've heard couple of tales in the past about peeps, and not just anonymous peeps, that got their start by crossing few seeds. where they still growers or yet breeders?

then , by other hands, i refuse to accept that old timers breeders could know exactly what could come from thier batches in the instant they pollinate fems...
did you?

all the best

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Ive grown tons of S1's from the Gelato 25 and have seen so many of the new strains pop out... Ive had phenos smell like Zskittlez to Vanilla Frosting... its no wonder the game is so meh meh right now....no real work put in and everyone renaming the same shit...

Pretty looking weed that gets u high for 15 min... quality of high is bunk but the looks and bag appeal are off the charts... aka Fools Gold

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
getting OT, maybe

may you explain,please?

sounds little bit elitist your distinction between what's normal from what HAS to be damned cool.don't really wanna seems harsh, i really got what you say about: a missed male, or at least an erma, is not a breeding project but, let me understand:
since a grower find something ...he's just a grower. even if he had work for it,even if he had spent days thinking about how he could get the best from what he's working with, even on a small scala, even starting by few seeds.and that... just because he's the bwoy. well, let me say:

I've heard couple of tales in the past about peeps, and not just anonymous peeps, that got their start by crossing few seeds. where they still growers or yet breeders?

then , by other hands, i refuse to accept that old timers breeders could know exactly what could come from thier batches in the instant they pollinate fems...
did you?

all the best

we are not all the same, when somebody is good at something, is not good at something else. more talented doesn't mean to be elitist, or doesn't have any other meanings. maybe better word would be usual instead of normal, simply what is happening mostly often, no need to normatively normalize I agree.// anyway I was talking about funny fact, that some of the most popular cuts are not results of intentional breeding.

rolandomota

Veteran
There is enough faux frost and early chopped, poorly grown "top shelf" - THE NEW BULK - there is plenty of room for people to carve out their own version of success in the market......dank.frank 2-2-21

This may be my new quote....:tumbleweed:

Latest posts

Latest posts