Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what are the latest fandangled strains getting around?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Someone should hype an auto strain as the latest, greatest super strong weed that everyone has to smoke to prevent the risk of being seen as uncool.
    Autos can't be kept in clone and the individual plants never get too big so theres way more seeds to be sold if an auto is the hype strain vs having regular flowing strains be the high demand flower than everyone is looking for. If growers have to spend more on seeds then that will also push up the per pound price of bud, which is what everyone around here seems to want.

    Comment


      #62
      To answer the original question, Runtz derivatives seem to be the current biggest hype train, with cookie offshoots still coming right behind IMO. Seeing the shift to Cookies take off and only get worse was a bummer. I've never understood the love for it.

      That said, there are still plenty of folks doing more than chucking hype cuts, it just takes half a second to look a little deeper. The Chem fam breeders are still pumping out Chem work, Bodhi will always be doing what he what does (which includes a touch of the new for people who want that), Meangene, CSI (who also adds a touch of hype but it isn't his main focus), AKBB, Coastal, Crickets and Cicadas, etc, and then people like Snowhigh have more company than ever in trying to get landrace/heirloom work out there with Indian Landrace, Afghani Selections, etc.

      Yeah, the majority of people calling themselves breeders are chasing the bag and rushing to be first to market with their hype cross, but let's not toss the baby with the bath water. I only listed a small selection of people who aren't chasing that model.


      I for one am glad to see that it looks like a return to sativas for a lot of folks. I personally love Durban, and am just having trouble deciding whose Durban cross to run this year. CBH/Miami Haze seems to be a recent darling as well, and I hope we see a fuck ton more. Obviously replicable skunk work would burn the house down, but at this point, everyone who isn't a grower custy chasing trends and willing to believe any absurd story is so skeptical of every new Tom, Dick, Harry who claims that their granpappy bred the original and they found 4 seeds (one half cracked) in his WWII chest, that it's going to take a cup win or podcast cosign for most to really belive it.


      We're in an era where custys can walk into a store and pick from 50+ jars on a wall, and walk down the street if they feel like something else. Unfortunately, that means their opinion matters in a way that it never has before, so I can't really blame people with a brand in an established rec market trying to appease that base.

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by Hempsmoke View Post

        On tolerance and nostalgia
        Nostalgia can't really be quantified, and may have some role, but you're absolutely wrong on tolerance.

        You're assuming that they had no tolerance then. Tolerance actually evens the playing field as far being able to tell what's strong and what isn't. With no tolerance you're gonna get thwacked regardless, but a seasoned smoker with a tolerance built up is not only going to be able to say pound for pound what hit harder, but also be in a position to differentiate the subtleties in effect (or lack there of). You're completely off base here bud. If cannabis had a tolerance that ramped like other drugs, sure, but it's not really the same.

        ​​​​​​

        Comment


          #64
          pdx ya thats a neat expirement for marketers, but many cuts are sifted EXTENSIVELY ie cuts would not be worth anything as even before the strain game there was cuts.. for an auto it would have to be an effects type thing as no auto is putting out terps or thc or smoothness like unauto.. ie autos are based off getting as much non auto as possible of a desired variety. and extensive inbreeding of autos would be tuff not get ruderalis popping out and be much better then a non auto.. ie the qualitys u want dont come from ruderalis other then auto feature. dem hempy terps dou lol

          Comment


            #65
            Flavors popularity as time went on, where I'm from..

            80's dank dank erb. Some sweeter strains and those were popular.

            90's sweet strains, some fuely strains, and a few fruity strains

            Early 2000's fuel, fruit, sweet
            2010 candy sweet, fruit, fuel or Lemon Pledge

            2015 to present seems to be candy fruit, baked goods, lemon cleaner and fuel

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by GuyMontag View Post

              Tolerance actually evens the playing field as far being able to tell what's strong and what isn't. With no tolerance you're gonna get thwacked regardless, but a seasoned smoker with a tolerance built up is not only going to be able to say pound for pound what hit harder, but also be in a position to differentiate the subtleties in effect (or lack there of). You're completely off base here bud. If cannabis had a tolerance that ramped like other drugs, sure, but it's not really the same.

              ​​​​​​
              I disagree on this one. A high tolerance actually makes you only able to differentiate between strong and weak strains and diminishes the ability to feel the subtle (or not so subtle) differences between strains.

              Let's take the killing fields, that i mentioned before, and one of my favourite strains, the power plant as examples.

              Smoking daily and a high tolerance makes both average daytime smokes for me, but after a 2 or 3 weeks break you clearly feel the differences between both strains.

              While the killing fields will make you miss half the movie you watch on TV because you're lost in your thoughts, the power plant will make you all jittery with your heart racing but a totally clear head.

              ​​The differences in the effects and high get lost with a high Tolerance and both feel pretty similar. Neither will you experience the brain afk effect of the KF nor will you experience the heart pounding locomotive of the pp, you simply get high on some bud.
              ( Grow1 ,Grow2)

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by clearheaded View Post
                pdx ya thats a neat expirement for marketers, but many cuts are sifted EXTENSIVELY ie cuts would not be worth anything as even before the strain game there was cuts.. for an auto it would have to be an effects type thing as no auto is putting out terps or thc or smoothness like unauto.. ie autos are based off getting as much non auto as possible of a desired variety. and extensive inbreeding of autos would be tuff not get ruderalis popping out and be much better then a non auto.. ie the qualitys u want dont come from ruderalis other then auto feature. dem hempy terps dou lol
                What you've just mentioned about autos is 10 year old conventional wisdom. There are a lot more generations of breeding in autos since then, the remnant genetics from Mexican Rudy or whomever might not be much more than that single pair autoflowering genes by now, if it isn't then it will be eventually. Now compare all those generations of breeding and selection that has gone into creating modern autos to all of the breeding and selection thats been done by people making crosses of "Dude! I got this really strong weed at a Dead show and it had some seeds in it OMG!!!".
                40 or so generations of selection by keen eye'd auto breeders might outrank chucking pollen on a 30 year old bagseed clone. If you think I must be high as fuck to come up with this logic, then you're right, I am high as fuck, I'm smoking autoflower bud.

                26% THC in an autoflower, tested over a year ago. Autos are even stronger by now, GG4, Chem, Cookies, GMO & all the other high testing clones are all still the same as they were the day the seed was popped, decades ago for many clones.
                https://dutch-passion.com/en/blog/au...-on-earth-n963

                Comment


                  #68
                  ruderalisI'm not a fan of Autos. Ruduralis is ditch weed, it's just hemp. Anything good from Autos didn't come from Rudurallis. If I had to guess long ago someone brought home some thinking it was drug type that was loaded with seeds. Grew some seeds which hermed and pollinated other drug type cannabis. They noticed those plants flowered when in veg. I'm sure some like not having any photoperiod.. I'll never use Auto's to breed with.

                  IMO look for Haze hybrids.

                  #hammerhead_genetics on IG
                  Hammers Perpetual showroom

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by PDX Dopesmoker View Post

                    What you've just mentioned about autos is 10 year old conventional wisdom. There are a lot more generations of breeding in autos since then, the remnant genetics from Mexican Rudy or whomever might not be much more than that single pair autoflowering genes by now, if it isn't then it will be eventually. Now compare all those generations of breeding and selection that has gone into creating modern autos to all of the breeding and selection thats been done by people making crosses of "Dude! I got this really strong weed at a Dead show and it had some seeds in it OMG!!!".
                    40 or so generations of selection by keen eye'd auto breeders might outrank chucking pollen on a 30 year old bagseed clone. If you think I must be high as fuck to come up with this logic, then you're right, I am high as fuck, I'm smoking autoflower bud.

                    26% THC in an autoflower, tested over a year ago. Autos are even stronger by now, GG4, Chem, Cookies, GMO & all the other high testing clones are all still the same as they were the day the seed was popped, decades ago for many clones.
                    https://dutch-passion.com/en/blog/au...-on-earth-n963
                    Word

                    I had 4 auto AKs around 2012 and it was some potent smoke for sure, even had some people tell me it was the strongest weed they smoked back then.
                    Personally I prefer photoperiod plants so I can keep clones, but in all those years since then the auto breeders made some great progression, but some fools still think autos didn't make any progress since the lowryder days...

                    ( Grow1 ,Grow2)

                    Comment


                      #70
                      It's alright PDX, some people still don't get how awesome autos can be. Their loss!

                      In my totally biased opinion, the next big thing will be both new flavors and breeding advancements wrapped into one. Triploid cannabis is going to change how farmers produce commercial / personal crops. By combining two genomes from one parent and one genome from the other, unique flavor and cannabinoid profiles can be created, while making the resulting plants impervious to pollination. They outshine their traditional diploid counterparts through higher overall metabolism and essential oil production as well. By combining a highly inbred tetraploid parent with a distinct, highly inbred diploid parent, plant breeders can make uniform F1 varieties that perform true to type with exceptional vigor and resist all attempts at pollination. What kind of crossing combinations would people want to see?

                      Tetraploid Diploid
                      Triangle Kush inbred Purple Urkle inbred
                      Durban Poison inbred Chem D inbred
                      Chem D inbred Urkle-derived auto flower
                      Purple Urkle inbred Sour CBD auto flower
                      etc. etc.

                      Just fill in the blank with your favorites and desired photoperiod sensitivity.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Making plants unable to be pollinated would be a nightmare. I'd guess 99% of the cannabis community would be against such things. I'm sure some that only care about $$$ are fine making our plant GMO cannabis.

                        #hammerhead_genetics on IG
                        Hammers Perpetual showroom

                        Comment


                          #72
                          missed the point. point is autos make cuts worse not better. while u can get close breeding autos u are not going to get something better then with photos, close, sure. but not better as by its nature brings it down. ie less auto genetics the better the plant is. trust me ive grown lots of frosty auto males. also remember cuts are selected from 100s or thousands of awesome quality plants, very small chance a breeder could make seeds that consistent to be better then a cut. close maybe, but higher odds of a non auto thats uber stable tossing out thousands of winners.. good sure, the best..never..

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X