Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what are the latest fandangled strains getting around?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by Hempsmoke View Post
    The weed back then was in no way better that todays weed
    Just as you say yourself, most of the weed was crap, doesent matter if it was grown indoor or outdoors.
    So when people came across some properly grown, potent ganja they were blown away.
    Just as i was blown away by some street bought white widow in the Netherlands, after 5 years of smoking some German street shwag.
    And I thought by that point my tolerance was high hahaha.
    Thats where all the legends about some "long lost strains" come from. It wasnt some super weed, it was just good weed.
    So, while I agree many strains today are crosses of cookies, og, chemdawg or diesel, but i have no problem with that.
    If it was that bad people wouldn't buy it.
    Said that there are enough seedbanks offering strains that have nothing to do with the strains mentioned above.

    And now, after almost 5 pages, still nobody answered to the question in the title of this thread.
    @PDX is the one that came the closest.

    Peace
    lol, I guess we should say what country. Most indoor was not good but there was excellent outdoor weed it just wasn't widely available. Today's weed gets you high all of 10 min. Those that never experienced good weed back then always say weed back then was crap. I was there. Everything your smoking today was based on weed we grew and made back then, but extremely watered down.. Most of that killer weed was never shared or sold. It was a much tighter circle of friends growing weed.
    Last edited by Hammerhead; 02-27-2021, 16:15.

    #hammerhead_genetics on IG
    Hammers Perpetual showroom

    Comment


      #47
      Originally posted by Hammerhead View Post
      lol, I guess we should say what country. Most indoor was not good but there was excellent outdoor weed it just wasn't widely available. Today's weed gets you high all of 10 min. Those that never experienced good weed back then always say weed back then was crap. I was there. Everything your smoking today was based on weed we grew and made back then, but extremely watered down.. Most of that killer weed was never shared or sold. It was a much tighter circle of friends growing weed.
      Lol, it's not the weed, it's your cannabinoid receptors.
      Take a 3 months break then smoke a bowl of your weakest strain and you will be trippin balls. And not only 10min.
      Everything I was smoking here was indoor weed that got 3 people high from 1 spliff for several hours. It was still shwag compared to the Potency of that Dutch street white widow that was like a mild dose of shrooms.

      No offence mate but I think nostalgy plays a bigger role in your weed memories than you would like to admit.
      Also, no disrespect, but why don't you grow some Colombian or Thai or whatever and recreate that strains? Those pro grower circles, you speak of, that never shared their weed or seeds still had to get the genetics from somewhere and if it was this good i doubt they don't exist anymore in one form or another somewhere.
      (it's all subjective tho, and one thing that always got me mad is the focus on high thc while leaving other cannabinoids behind, and that could be one reason for the missing nostalgia of todays strains).

      Originally posted by Storm Shadow View Post
      couldnt disagree more.... weed from the 90's and early 2000's was light years danker than todays HYPE..... The Super Silver Haze from 1999/2000 in SoCal ...Mr Nice genetics...smelled like a the most insane Skunk and was very loose structure.....
      Indeed, the white widow mentioned above was bought around 2006, and to this day Im looking for such a strong strain... That's why I got me some Mr. Nice white widow, and 4 females are already waiting for the next grow to begin

      Peace
      Last edited by Hempsmoke; 02-27-2021, 20:30.
      ( Grow1 ,Grow2)

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by Hempsmoke View Post
        Lol, it's not the weed, it's your cannabinoid receptors.
        Take a 3 months break then smoke a bowl of your weakest strain and you will be trippin balls. And not only 10min.
        Everything I was smoking here was indoor weed that got 3 people high from 1 spliff for several hours. It was still shwag compared to the Potency of that Dutch street white widow that was like a mild dose of shrooms.

        No offence mate but I think nostalgy plays a bigger role in your weed memories than you would like to admit.
        Also, no disrespect, but why don't you grow some Colombian or Thai or whatever and recreate that strains? Those pro grower circles, you speak of, that never shared their weed or seeds still had to get the genetics from somewhere and if it was this good i doubt they don't exist anymore in one form or another somewhere.
        (it's all subjective tho, and one thing that always got me mad is the focus on high thc while leaving other cannabinoids behind, and that could be one reason for the missing nostalgia of todays strains).

        Peace
        Judging quality weed has nothing to do with my tolerance. If you don't have the experience on what was your opinion on how good weed was back then is moot. You obviously didn't read the thread, you'd know what I'm working with. There was no such thing as "PRO" circles back that. Just good people hanging out growing good weed. Potency has never been the only trait we wanted that is still true today.. Most weed back than had a lot more personality than what we have today.
        Last edited by Hammerhead; 02-27-2021, 20:36.

        #hammerhead_genetics on IG
        Hammers Perpetual showroom

        Comment


          #49
          A lot more character and variability to the type of highs(nuanced) even in the mid 90’s. A lot of great weed bricked lightly seeded.

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by Hammerhead View Post
            Judging quality weed has nothing to do with my tolerance. If you don't have the experience on what was your opinion on how good weed was back then is moot. You obviously didn't read the thread, your know what I'm working with. There was no such thing as "PRO" circles back that. Just good people hanging out growing good weed. Potency has never been the only trait we wanted that is still true today.. Most weed back than had a lot more personality than what we have today.
            As I said, no offence mate, we obviously have different definitions of good weed.
            Nevertheless I would love to chill with those good people and share with them some of my good weed .
            But the tolerance sure does impair one's ability to judge weed, that's not up to debate. For example I recently gave a friend of mine some KillingFields f6 I grew and while for me it's good daytime smoke, he was totally high trippin before he fell asleep.
            As I said it's subjective and you know the saying" one man's trash is another mans treasure".

            Anyways, I always liked to watch your grows back then when I registered here (and 40amps grows too :P) so I have no doubts you grow some quality weed.
            And since you were there, maybe you can recommend me some strains that come close to the strains you grew back then.
            Nevilles haze is on my list longer than I'm on this site, but the price always kept me away and lately Mr Nice is a bit suspicious....dont know what's going on there. Luckily I got at least the white widow seeds last November.

            Peace
            ( Grow1 ,Grow2)

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by Hempsmoke View Post
              As I said, no offence mate, we obviously have different definitions of good weed.
              Nevertheless I would love to chill with those good people and share with them some of my good weed .
              But the tolerance sure does impair one's ability to judge weed, that's not up to debate. For example I recently gave a friend of mine some KillingFields f6 I grew and while for me it's good daytime smoke, he was totally high trippin before he fell asleep.
              As I said it's subjective and you know the saying" one man's trash is another mans treasure".

              Anyways, I always liked to watch your grows back then when I registered here (and 40amps grows too :P) so I have no doubts you grow some quality weed.
              And since you were there, maybe you can recommend me some strains that come close to the strains you grew back then.
              Nevilles haze is on my list longer than I'm on this site, but the price always kept me away and lately Mr Nice is a bit suspicious....dont know what's going on there. Luckily I got at least the white widow seeds last November.

              Peace

              Tolerance effect's the high and how long we are high not how we judge quality cannabis, you are confused. Potency alone does not make quality weed. I always find it funny when someone gives an opinion on weed they never tried. My tolerance has been low, I reduced my intake awhile ago for health reasons. That happens when you get old.



              As for growing something look into Haze hybrids, you might find something you like in those you will have to figure that out.. Finding something today like we had decades ago is not gonna happen until more people stop using genetics full of cookies. I'm trying to bring back some of those old school gems I remember. I have hope seeing whats come out of some new stuff im working on. Give me time I'm working on it..

              #hammerhead_genetics on IG
              Hammers Perpetual showroom

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by Hammerhead View Post
                Tolerance effect's the high and how long we are high not how we judge quality cannabis, you are confused.
                Originally posted by Hammerhead View Post
                Today's weed gets you high all of 10 min [... ] Everything your smoking today was based on weed we grew and made back then, but extremely watered down..
                You say it yourself dude, how this doesn't affect the way you judge a strain is beyond me...Tolerance and nostalgy is whats keeping you from enjoying todays weed.

                I also smoke (and grow) since almost 20 years and I live like a 2,5-3 hours car ride from Amsterdam so I've smoked my fair share of weed (strains).
                When it comes to haze and hybrids, out of the countless strains I smoked there were only 2 hazes that really impressed me;

                one was a clone i got from a guy i knew, he said it was a haze but couldn't say which one, just haze.
                It had zero smell, zero taste and turned almost black due to lower nighttime temps.
                After smoking it you couldn't sit still with cold sweat running down your forehead. Seriously potent stuff (sadly no clones were taken...I was stupid weed racist).
                The other one was tangerine dream from barney's coffeeshop.
                Excellent weed, the smell, the taste, the high and the Potency. The high cut right trough 5 or 6 strains i smoked at the same day before smoking the tangerine,every puff got you higher and higher. The seeds I bought came not even close.

                As I said nevilles haze is already on my to grow list, but it will take some time till I finally get my hands on the seeds. And there are lots of other strains on the list....
                Anyways when you have finally bred the strain that is a worthy representation of what you had back in the days, hit me up, I will be more than happy to get a pack or two of your "blast from the past" and see for myself.

                Peace
                ( Grow1 ,Grow2)

                Comment


                  #53
                  Cookies is downright pedestrian, I'm sorry. The outcrosses can be fire but usually aren't consistently so.

                  Cookies is the new OG for people who didn't smoke weed before it was legalized. That's it. It's not fun, not powerful, doesn't yield well, but won't ruin your day. It's weed for people who buy their weed from a store, how it has become so popular in the breeding world is absolutely beyond me.

                  Comment


                    #54
                    I guess it's because it's weed people buy in a store ;-)
                    Last edited by Chevy cHaze; 02-28-2021, 16:41. Reason: grammar!

                    cbd is where it's at - 250w organic blumatized cbd skunk haze grow

                    super silent mode organic blumatized hans panel grow - 80gr from 65w of LEDs


                    "In what you say of another, apply the test of kindness, necessity and truth, and let nothing pass your lips without a 2/3 majority."

                    "Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope"- Freewheelin' Franklin

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by Hempsmoke View Post
                      You say it yourself dude, how this doesn't affect the way you judge a strain is beyond me...Tolerance and nostalgy is whats keeping you from enjoying todays weed.

                      I also smoke (and grow) since almost 20 years and I live like a 2,5-3 hours car ride from Amsterdam so I've smoked my fair share of weed (strains).
                      When it comes to haze and hybrids, out of the countless strains I smoked there were only 2 hazes that really impressed me;

                      one was a clone i got from a guy i knew, he said it was a haze but couldn't say which one, just haze.
                      It had zero smell, zero taste and turned almost black due to lower nighttime temps.
                      After smoking it you couldn't sit still with cold sweat running down your forehead. Seriously potent stuff (sadly no clones were taken...I was stupid weed racist).
                      The other one was tangerine dream from barney's coffeeshop.
                      Excellent weed, the smell, the taste, the high and the Potency. The high cut right trough 5 or 6 strains i smoked at the same day before smoking the tangerine,every puff got you higher and higher. The seeds I bought came not even close.

                      As I said nevilles haze is already on my to grow list, but it will take some time till I finally get my hands on the seeds. And there are lots of other strains on the list....
                      Anyways when you have finally bred the strain that is a worthy representation of what you had back in the days, hit me up, I will be more than happy to get a pack or two of your "blast from the past" and see for myself.

                      Peace

                      Its obvious you dont have a clue. Ill leave it at that

                      #hammerhead_genetics on IG
                      Hammers Perpetual showroom

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Originally posted by Hammerhead View Post
                        Its obvious you dont have a clue. Ill leave it at that
                        Yup, I will just wait till you are done breeding your representation of the much better oldie strain so it can enlight me.
                        No worries take your time, I can wait.
                        ( Grow1 ,Grow2)

                        Comment


                          #57
                          A lot of cookie hate in this thread... To me, there are really only 3 cuts you can call cookies: Forum, OGKB, and 09 Animal. Everything else is a hybrid created from those in some fashion. I can only speak form first hand experience regarding the Forum Cut, and it is far from pedestrian. It’s easy to see how it started this wave we’ve been riding for over a decade, as the only thing you could really knock is the flavor (not talking breeding traits).

                          Everything since then has been cookie hybrids that catch hype for a few months/years and on to the next one.

                          Before the recreational cookie hybrid market, a cut had to earn its rep. Just look at the GSC, GG4, and OG threads on here.

                          My best new fandangled strains are all the cuts people have dropped to chase the market: GG4, SFV, Forum, Bubba, AJ Sour, ChemD, and I’ll throw GMO in there as well.

                          -DD

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by Hammerhead View Post
                            I made plenty of mistakes over the years. A big one was using cookies. Ive learned from those mistakes. Looks like your confused as to what cookies I'm referring to. Ive Grown most hyped cookie cuts. Out crosses are not what I'm referring to. I hate cookies personally its tasteless nonsense. If others like cookies which some prob do that's fine. We all like different stuff.

                            I will never use cookies again. Been there done that with nothing but issues. It has to be my out crossed selections which you posted above. Your talking about a lifetime of work Ive posted here on ICMAG. I took the time to make proper selections and tested it all well. The only problems I've run into are cookies related. Do my out crosses have cookies yes, id never find breeding materiel If I didn't use an out cross.. It would be near impossible to find something that doesn't have cookies in it. Straight cookies will cause issues guaranteed. The only way to be sure it to use Sativa/Hazes we know are free of cookies.. That's the path I'm on now..

                            Everything you mentioned of mine is out crossed. Out crossed cookies are the only ones good but still carry those bad traits.. Ive been growing/smoking since the early 70's. My path is to bring back what I think is true quality cannabis we had decades ago. With everyone using cookies and still do it will not be easy finding material to breed with. I think I can using Bx Hazes to a Sour Diesel as a base breeding parent(not a drop of cookies in this). Ive already done this part. I need to do more, more , more.

                            What are the Cookie-related breeding issues you’ve seen?

                            I’ll guess at hermie tendencies, and maybe low yield?

                            Comment


                              #59
                              True the forum cut wasn't lacking in potency but also just wasn't exciting to me personally. It's definitely the best cookies cut in my opinion, but I think the outcrosses are pretty much all better still. I'll add that Cookies is knock out gorgeous during late flowering in CA, really beautiful plants.

                              I don't hate cookies at all, don't mean to come off that way I just hate the hype. I have cookies crosses on deck from Mosca, Oni, and Exotic right now, some of them heavily Cookies. I'd really like to find a specimen that checks all my personal boxes, or even just a few unique ones that matter to me, but I haven't yet.

                              Back OT though, I think the next big thing will be Colombian and other alike old world crosses. Lots of them are super mellow and long lasting, though flavors and marketing pale in comparison right now to current celebrity strains.

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by Happy Times View Post
                                What are the Cookie-related breeding issues you’ve seen?

                                I’ll guess at hermie tendencies, and maybe low yield?

                                Pretty much just unstable genetics from it. I dont mind the low yields. All I'm after is unique quality plants.. As we all know we can find nice plants in out crosses but we keep passing on those bad traits every time its used. Some crosses dont do well at all. I dont see any need to continue using those genetics. Find something else to use or take an out cross and breed out the cookies like Ive done With A5hbx x Fp. This was made using Snowman x Bio Diesel. Snowman was made by Burner. I cant locate its genetic makeup. All I can find is she is a Descendant of GSC. After selections made I breed out the Snowman to the Diesel side with a Hazy skunky aroma.


                                Haze hybrids should be the next thing. It tales a lot longer to work these lines. Most will not put much effort into these.
                                Last edited by Hammerhead; 02-28-2021, 20:12.

                                #hammerhead_genetics on IG
                                Hammers Perpetual showroom

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X