What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Northern Lights types 1-11

BC*Dankster*

Tynehead Tom, I am on the same hunt as you lol. Ive been searching for lost genetics from the mid 90's. The hash plant we used to get from the Sunshine Coast was the lime green almost neon super huge calyx barely any yellowish hairs and reeked like road kill skunk. The most potent I have ever smoked, even beats the current og kushes etc. Ive been growing bodhi's Old School HP and f2'd them. Ive found similar plants but each lacks certain traits compared to having them all combined into the one super bomb plant. My buddy that grabbed it said his friend grew it aeroponically and flowered them from clone and they grew into football sized colas. Called it Big bud hash plant, but I don't know if he knew the real name. we called it hash bud.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
I did not take Greg's comment as trying to change what we have known as NL1 (Murphys Afghani x Nevils Mazar), I took it as the seeds being offered are Purest Indica which were the basis for the Northern Lites line. I can see the confusing statements and would like to ask him or Todd for clarification but I do not post on the social media like that. He posts here so maybe I will shoot him a PM! And for real, I hope you and/or some of the other members who are such cannabis historians would get together and publish a hardcover print with all the lineages of this stuff. That would be so cool to have as a reference in book format. Much love

Greg's post about NL#1 being just Steve Murphy's Afgani.
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210916_141054.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.9 KB ID:	17944952
Also notice "Don's #2", it implies that Don (aka the Indian) created Northern lights #2.

Greg down playing Don and not give the man his credit for breeding NL.
"We"
Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210916-142431_Instagram.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.5 KB ID:	17944953

Greg was just a grower, NOT a breeder. People give that man all the credit when he wasn't the one that created the NL lines.

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
Tynehead Tom, I am on the same hunt as you lol. Ive been searching for lost genetics from the mid 90's. The hash plant we used to get from the Sunshine Coast was the lime green almost neon super huge calyx barely any yellowish hairs and reeked like road kill skunk. The most potent I have ever smoked, even beats the current og kushes etc. Ive been growing bodhi's Old School HP and f2'd them. Ive found similar plants but each lacks certain traits compared to having them all combined into the one super bomb plant. My buddy that grabbed it said his friend grew it aeroponically and flowered them from clone and they grew into football sized colas. Called it Big bud hash plant, but I don't know if he knew the real name. we called it hash bud.

we seek 2 different hashplants.
The giant football cola hashplant was brought to BC by the newfie shipbuilders back in the day. So it was no doubt a hashplant from seeds that came through the quebec ports back when the hashish pipeline was in it's hey day. The Hashplant I seek was a wide but small leafed plant with the leaves looking glossy and with red petioles and streaks in the main stem. It grew similar to a bubba kush as far as the bud structure but this plant was more like a "no stretch" OG kush as far as comparing it to todays types of plants. It smoked like fine afghan black hash and exhale left a very creamy hashy sandalwood type of flavor that stuck to the mouth and hung in the room. It was hands down some of the most potent and flavorful bud going around in private stashes in the BC lowermainland back in the day. It was right along side the NL5 though and seemed to fade away at the same time the Hashplant did. The Oregon Blueberry got crossed with something here and became what is now known as the Fraser Valley Blueberrry Hashplant. I believe Reeferman/Charles Scott knows some of the history here but have never gotten anywhere asking him. My suspicion is that the hashplant I am talking about is in the genetic makeup of Charles's Pink Kush. Just my hunch anyways.

As for NL..... Peak seeds and Jordan of the Islands have Northern Lights gear that used the BC held clone which I assume would be the "US NL5" and not the Nevilles NL5. The Peak seeds NL lines are pretty highly respected up here in Kanuckistan and I know some guys that place some very large orders every year for outdoor season.

BC*Dankster*

Damn. I was hoping were were on the same quest lol. Always good to have help... I wish you luck finding your hash plant brother. As for the football cola hp, did it have a nose on it? Also, does anyone know where Bodhi sourced his Bc NL5 cut ?

sbeanonnamellow

Greg's post about NL#1 being just Steve Murphy's Afgani.
filedata/fetch?id=17944952&d=1631816246
Also notice "Don's #2", it implies that Don (aka the Indian) created Northern lights #2.

Greg down playing Don and not give the man his credit for breeding NL.
"We"
filedata/fetch?id=17944953&d=1631817124

Greg was just a grower, NOT a breeder. People give that man all the credit when he wasn't the one that created the NL lines.

What I take most from all of this is respect to Steve Murphy. Sounds like a guy I would have loved to share a joint with and just talk about whatever. He seemed to have a real passion for the plant.

One thing I can not help but think is like this. If the Northern Lites crew already had been working on it before Nevil was even part of the NL story, so much they already had NL5 and NL2 and named them based on height. It would make sense to me that the NL1 would/could be the original afghani without any of the sativa hybridization. It would/could make sense that NL1 is Steve Murphy's Afghani bred to itself. The whole Purest Indica thing is the most out of left field thing. Has anyone heard that name before?

Oh and that Indian guy sounds pretty rad too. I claim my native amerian heritage pretty hard haha. Greg being just a grower or not, if these are actual Northern Lites lines from back in the day he put into Todds hands, that is pretty freaking awesome too. The plants Todd posted on his social media look great, or is that just me? Much love

troutman

Seed Whore
The Hashplant I seek was a wide but small leafed plant with the leaves looking glossy and with red petioles and streaks in the main stem.

I have at least 2 Landrace Afghanis females making seeds now that have red streaks running down the main stem. :hide:

I wonder if the Afghani you seek was related to Breeder Steve's Red Afghani line he used to create the Shishkaberry with? :chin:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
All the decades before Nevil's passing the same guys were silent now the seed drops start sad really.

When I first got the NL varieties, there were 8 types, 1-8.
They came with descriptions, which I published in my catalogue. These descriptions may not correlate with what later developed. The original intention was to purchase seeds from the US NL growers. It didn't work out and supply dried up. I kept the lines separate and inbred them. NL1 and NL2 stabilised into distinct types and NL5 only produced one unique individual.
NL1 was a full blood Afghan indica. One thick main stem, dark green leaves, modest yield with nuggety buds, a little coarse with good resin production, which when ripe went golden. The high was narcotic. The seeds ranged from tiny to massive. I used to love the big ones. Large fat heavily and darkly mottled seeds. Selecting for these seeds made this Afghan even coarser. It was fun to show people these seeds.
The best line of NL1 actually came from the smaller seeded types, better high and bud structure.
There weren't many pure indica lines around in those days. Big Bud, Hash Plant and G13 were pure indicas in my estimation, but were cuttings. NL1 was the only good pure Afghani male line I had.( there was Sams Afghani#1, but that was toxic in a bad way) The NL2 was a Kush.
I put the NL1 out there as a pure strain. I wasn't popular. People would tell me, "give me the pure strains", but if it cost them 10% of their yield they would complain, well try 50%.
The pure indica hybrids were more popular. NL1 x HP and NL1 x G13 were the best. At least people could use the word pure (very popular). But they were good!

I expect that a lot of people holding what they believe to be pure indicas today, would find, if the truth be known, that the sire line traces back to NL1.
N.

That's right OS. I did go to the States later and pick up the original U.S. NL5 mother and it was as it was described to me, part Thai. But my NL5 didn't seem to have any Thai influence. I spent a lot of time analysing the NL lines, in particular NL5.

I only saw evidence of two indica male lines in the NL series and that was NL1 and NL2. My best bet was that NL5 was a combination of NL1 male line and US NL5 female. I guessed that US5 was 50% NL2. Northern Lights 2x5 was the best that I could do staying within the line (pure NL).

Northern Lights changed the face of cannabis genetics (and many a smoker), but it was mostly through NL5. You've got to marvel at fate for dropping that one extreme plant into the lap of a budding seed breeder.
N.

I couldnt pass it up. I remember getting "kind bud" and NL wich were very similar in the early 2000s. Of course theres no way to confirm it 100% was NL but It did wonders for my anxiety. Im willing to give it a go.

Attachments

• photo2072245.jpg
    photo2072245.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 64

goingrey

I couldnt pass it up. I remember getting "kind bud" and NL wich were very similar in the early 2000s. Of course theres no way to confirm it 100% was NL but It did wonders for my anxiety. Im willing to give it a go.

Kind bud was more of a general description or quality rating instead of a particular strain. At least this is how I have always understood it. In fact just yesterday I watched an interview of Seth Ferranti, who did 25 years for LSD and weed, and what he was selling as "kind bud" in the 90s was NorCal outdoor. So what you were getting may have very well been NL or an NL hybrid.

sbeanonnamellow

Hey Hempy thank you for those quotes quotes from Nevil. They are great. It sounds like NL1 and Purest Indica (Nevil refers to it as a full blood afghan Indica) line up quite nicely. What I really enjoy is Nevils observation of the seeds and their respective sizes!

Sweet score BrotherTrees! Do you notice any variation in seed size as referenced above in the Nevil quotes Hempy shared? Much love

Hey Hempy thank you for those quotes quotes from Nevil. They are great. It sounds like NL1 and Purest Indica (Nevil refers to it as a full blood afghan Indica) line up quite nicely. What I really enjoy is Nevils observation of the seeds and their respective sizes!

Sweet score BrotherTrees! Do you notice any variation in seed size as referenced above in the Nevil quotes Hempy shared? Much love

Here are some pics it seems like there is more variation in the 5.

Attachments

• photo2072556.jpg
    photo2072556.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 87
  • photo2072557.jpg
    photo2072557.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 69
Kind bud was more of a general description or quality rating instead of a particular strain. At least this is how I have always understood it. In fact just yesterday I watched an interview of Seth Ferranti, who did 25 years for LSD and weed, and what he was selling as "kind bud" in the 90s was NorCal outdoor. So what you were getting may have very well been NL or an NL hybrid.

Im in the NE but its possible. Youre right about the KB being just another term for sensi. The KB seemed alot brighter green i figured i was just getting the NL just a little closer to when they harvested.

Dirt Life

Veteran
Oasis was one of the first strains I ever grew... this was in 2004. They were Dutch Passion fems.. paid (@ the time) through the nose for them, of course, I was a new grower.. the more money they cost, the better, right? Lolol... anyways, they were pretty good. Very hindu-kush like (can say that now), tasted of hash, very sedative. These pics are from 2004, taken with a 3mp USB camera stick, still kinda "new tech" back then. I even used these pics for the OverGrow strainguide review I did hahaha.. oh jeez.
7-17-2004 - DP Oasis - 3.jpg
7-17-2004 - DP Oasis - 2.jpg
7-17-2004 - DP Oasis - 1.jpg

Attachments

• 7-17-2004 - DP Oasis - 3.jpg
    7-17-2004 - DP Oasis - 3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 65

Dirt Life

Veteran
On another note, this plant is my child, found her in 2009, and will never part with her as long as I can help it. I'm germinating some Bx seeds I did of her now, only have one up, killed 2 other accidently.. looking forward to seeing how it turned out...

Northern Lights x Shiva
Run 1 - 04-28-11 (5).JPG
Run 1 - 04-28-11 (4).JPG
Run 1 - 05-05-11 (5).JPG
Run 1 - 05-05-11 (14).JPG

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Super nice, nostalgic. Nice little scrog bush, tent full of those would fill all the jars one could ask for... Im hoping I can pull off plants trained that well shortly.. Just longer colas cause SSH/KaliMist, but thats the frame im going for. Perfection

What kinda buzz does she have? Im sure there is a elite out there with this lineage, but a name change.

Dirt Life

Veteran
Hey Doc! Thanks for the kind words... yeah, she is super easy to train. Under HID lights, she had a little stretch, but, under LED, what size she is going into flower, that's her size (height wise) end of flower. She LOVES bushing out.. you have to trim her in early flower, or else you end up with small, fully developed colas, and a ton of larf.

Her aroma is black pepper skunk all the way.. during drying, she can reek of rubber tires and skunk.. taste is an earthy sweet, mentholated hash that lingers. The high is a+ body melt with a very nice head twist. She is perfect bud for socializing, not partying. A group of family and/or friends relaxing... giggle, chatty bud.

I've read a few posts here and there about this hybrid used in one of the diesel lines, but, general consensus is that it's not NL/Shiva.. I don't know. All I know is that it's exactly what I wanted in a BLD variety.. ticks all my boxes.

I've always enjoyed the NL based lines I've grown over the years. Most plants I came upon were decent smoke. Then there are the occasional phenos that are the pinnacle of what they represent.. a member here by the name of Lifebreather I believe found one of the most resinous plants I've ever seen, ever, in a pack of Female Seeds NL fems.. it dripped trichomes.