What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Northern Lights types 1-11

sbeanonnamellow

Read a post recently where the source for Northern Lights says they were numbered 1-11 one being most indica and 11 being most sativa. The crosses were supposedly an Afghan type from some dude in Seattle, really good stuff supposedly, put to a bunch of different varieties everything from nepalese to colombian and hawaiian. Thai as well.

Cool stuff yeah, well I just read another post where it says the Northern Lights dude Greg sent seeds to the homies at Sensi as well, for helping get a nutrient formula and water rocking in his setup. What a cool motherfucker man, seems like a real one. Sending seeds as thanks, getting them out there, ect. Respect.

Anyways, I was wondering what you guys thought about the possibility of Thai x Afghan from this rad Northern Lights dude being related to the Sensi Fruity Juice which lists heritage as Afghan and pure sativa from Thailand?

Just a random thought, then couldn't help but think what other lines that are really good came from those seeds and those Northern Lights crosses but were just renamed. Especially the ones on the more sativa-type side. Much love

Fitzera

Matt Riot talks about the story and Seattle Greg quite a bit....and maybe I'm wrong but didn't he mention something about Greg putting some stuff out in the future? Id have to go back and listen to a few things and I really don't feel like it right now

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
https://blog.seedsman.com/the-origins-of-northern-lights-cannabis-strain/

Here is Seedsman's take on the story.

If you Google history of northern lights icmag you find a lot of threads and tons of info.

That dude's name is Seattle Greg.

Pretty sure the Adam Dunn Show did a northern lights show too.

Great pot!

it is fake story, it doesn't mention real creator of northern lights, Herb Nelson.. and it doesnt mention BOEL at all. WTF!!!

"Northern Lights gained popularity when introduced to Europe" - total fake. it was popular before, if it wasn't popular in USA, you would never see it in Europe..

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
it is fake story, it doesn't mention real creator of northern lights, Herb Nelson.. and it doesnt mention BOEL at all. WTF!!!

"Northern Lights gained popularity when introduced to Europe" - total fake. it was popular before, if it wasn't popular in USA, you would never see it in Europe..

How would you know MAHA were you there or did you have any roll in NL no.

This hate for Nevil and any of his work you show only makes YOU and YOU alone look like a clown.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I think RoyalFlush is a bit of an expert on NL[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

sbeanonnamellow

How would you know MAHA were you there or did you have any roll in NL no.

This hate for Nevil and any of his work you show only makes YOU and YOU alone look like a clown.

Not speaking for MAHA or others, but the Seattle Greg dude has given interviews and shared the story online already.

Facts are facts, the herb was enjoyed by many before it got to Holland. From what I picked up of the story, Greg sent seed to Nevil after seeing an advertisement on the back of a cannabis magazine sitting around in his buddies hair salon shop. Sometime later the phone rang for Greg and it was Nevil on the other end saying how it took a lot of effort tracking his number down and that he wanted more of those "indoor" seeeds.

Those seeds and those lines were being worked and smoked by many from what the stories would suggest, way before making their way to Holland.

That's why I made this thread, because it seems like a lot of famous lines might have a solid genetic base coming from these NL types 1-11.

Someone else made the #5 by crossing the Afghani to "Hawaiian", iir the Herb dude that MAHA referenced. And to think, these all sort of spawned from the Afghan worked by Steve Murphy. I'm thinking that was a special component to a lot of stuff, and wanted to hear what others thought of the possibility. Much love

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Not speaking for MAHA or others, but the Seattle Greg dude has given interviews and shared the story online already.

Facts are facts, the herb was enjoyed by many before it got to Holland. From what I picked up of the story, Greg sent seed to Nevil after seeing an advertisement on the back of a cannabis magazine sitting around in his buddies hair salon shop. Sometime later the phone rang for Greg and it was Nevil on the other end saying how it took a lot of effort tracking his number down and that he wanted more of those "indoor" seeeds.

Those seeds and those lines were being worked and smoked by many from what the stories would suggest, way before making their way to Holland.

That's why I made this thread, because it seems like a lot of famous lines might have a solid genetic base coming from these NL types 1-11.

Someone else made the #5 by crossing the Afghani to "Hawaiian", iir the Herb dude that MAHA referenced. And to think, these all sort of spawned from the Afghan worked by Steve Murphy. I'm thinking that was a special component to a lot of stuff, and wanted to hear what others thought of the possibility. Much love

sbeanonnamellow i don't know the story behind NL Nevil did tell me things relating to NL but i had no interests in it as i don't like NL as a smoke but do see its value in breeding.

RoyalFlush knows a lot about NL maybe he can chim in but what i do know is the NL people know and smoke all came from Holland and that NL had a lot of work done to it by Nevil.

Nevil made NL5 not some guy in Hawaii.

sbeanonnamellow

If you don't know the story why would you lambast MAHA for sharing by suggesting they woudn't know because they weren't there. Pot calling the kettle black yeah?

I doubt anyone knows more about the NL lines and story than Seattle Greg himself. Nevil didn't make the original NL5. How could he make something that was already made? He ditched the actual NL5 cutting supposedly, and made a selection from seed (which there is speculation if it was even pure NL5 seed he was sent) so him calling it NL5 was kind of bogus if that's the reality. Another in the long line of re-naming things and only causing more confusion. Sure, the plant he picked out and used was popularized, but that doesn't mean he created or made NL5.

In my opinion that's a huge slight on the work done by Steve Murphy with respect to the Afghan. We stand on the shoulders of giants. Not knocking Nevil, but he wasn't making these lines, he was getting them out to the public. They came to him already pretty good if he was ringing people up halfway around the world trying to score more seeds. I think you do Nevil a disservice by making him out to have done more than he actually did, because it casts a shadow on the things he actually did accomplish and do. It's like you're trying to make a guy who is already a legend in the scene, more legendary but that just makes it look like you're trying to put credits to him that aren't actually his. So, it muddies the water a bit and makes things unclear. Just my opinion of course.

Seattle Greg said it was supposed to be spelled "Northern Lites" they couldn't even get the catalog typed up correctly...

Doesn't mean that I'm not interested in MNS Ortega, or other stuff that came Shanti's way or Sensi's way via Nevil, and came Nevils ways via rad dudes like Seattle Greg, and so on. Steve Murphy sharing with Greg, whoever shared with Steve Murphy, ect. Much love

sbeanonnamellow

Nl#1 the base of nl was created by mating Murphy's afghan to nevils mazar line....all the the other nl lines came from this and different amounts of the Hawaiian in them.

So you're saying that all the Northern Lights types 1-11, the afghan part was a hybrid of Murphy's Afghan and Nev's Mazar?

I didn't get that from the interviews at all, but I've misheard and misspoken before. Interesting take. Much love

TheDarkStorm

Also a little know fact....alot of people are trying to put down the nl#5 that nevil selected making out it was a hybrid vs pure...the nl lines are all hybrids anyway...and il let the words come from nevil himself...

Quote: I went to the US to pick up the original US NL5. It wasn't in the same league as mine. The NL boys from the US came to me for my NL5 offspring. It was much better than the original. N.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] I went to the US to pick up the original US NL5. It wasn't in the same league as mine. The NL boys from the US came to me for my NL5 offspring. It was much better than the original. N.

Dark Good find one cant help to ask why so many for so many years continue to try to re-right history when it comes to Nevil and the contributions he made.

sbeanonnamellow

Thanks for the Nevil quote. I'm cool with Nevil, not fanboy style but appreciate his contributions to the cannabis scene getting seed out there, ect. He managed to do a lot with his resources, more than many had done before and since. That said, there are many who share seed without a price attached. Some even spend their own money for postage stamps to send them. I respect that greatly. We stand on the shoulders of giants, Nevil included, but he is not the only one. There were many who came before him that made it possible for him to secure his stature in cannabis history forever, by providing genetics that ended up changing the scene in a major way. More than just the NL crew, but the Afghani tribes and farmers who sowed those seeds for generations before they even made it to the US and subsequently to Amsterdam then across the entire world.

As for the NL5 offspring the NL boys came to scoop from Nevil, was that seed Nevil made himself or selections from the seed he received from the NL crew? I'm assuming he selected from the seeds he got from the NL crew.

Not gonna lie, I'm having a little trouble grasping the happenings back then. I thought Seattle Greg sent Nevil some Northern Lights. How could Nevil's Mazar be part of the makeup of all Northern Lights if that's what they sent Nevil? Did the NL crew order some of Nev's Mazar and use it and then send their gear to him? Was it not the NL5 that he sent, was it just the Afghan? So many questions always turn into so many more.

I thought I heard Greg say on the podcast he was interviewed on, maybe a quote I read somewhere, that the NL #'s were 1-11 with the 1 being the shortest and the 11 being the tallest. If I recall, it wasn't different amounts of Hawaiian in all of them, I thought I heard that there was everything from Nepalese to Colombian and Thai used in the various crosses. That the Hawaiian cross was a one off type deal.

I thought I heard it that NL#1 was the cross with Nev's Mazar, NL#2 was the cross with the Indians gear, and the other crosses were with things like thai, hawaiian, nepalese, ect. With all of them being crossed to Murphy's afghan.

Murphys afghan x Nevs Mazar = NL1

Murphys afghan x Indians gear = NL2

Murphys afghan x Hawaiian = NL5

Murphys afghan x Nepalese

Murphys afghan x Thai

Murphys afghan x Colombian

All making different NL #'s

and so on....

Is that incorrect?

I'm going to re listen to that podcast again. Much love

sbeanonnamellow

Matt Riot talks about the story and Seattle Greg quite a bit....and maybe I'm wrong but didn't he mention something about Greg putting some stuff out in the future? Id have to go back and listen to a few things and I really don't feel like it right now

Todd McCormick has been advertising a pre purchase for NL5 reproductions from original seed sent to him by Greg. They were on for pre-order until a week or so ago with a delivery date around April of next year. Much love

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Greg did not do all the Northern Lights breeding himself as many like to think. Nevil mentioned Greg as someone part of the "NL crew", Greg also said he was part of a crew that breed NL.

The Numeric NL came when Nevil went around Greg and got the Northern Lights lines from the Indian, which is the reason Greg banned Nevil from getting any seeds, the Indian later gave Nevil the USNL5 clone.

TheDarkStorm

Greg did not do all the Northern Lights breeding himself as many like to think. Nevil mentioned Greg as someone part of the "NL crew", Greg also said he was part of a crew that breed NL.

The Numeric NL came when Nevil went around Greg and got the Northern Lights lines from the Indian, which is the reason Greg banned Nevil from getting any seed, the Indian later gave Nevil the USNL5 clone.

Herbies Original #5 clone = Murphy's Afghani x Hawaiian

Nevil's NL#5 = Original #5 clone x NL#1

The US #5 clone is not the same as Nevil’s NL#5.

Been waiting for you mate....hope alls good.
Royal flush is a ton of knowledge on the nl lines an will probably be able to help more accurately on any information than me..

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent

BOEL didn't have anything to do with NL, nor did the Hawaiian in NL#5. Cali assholes tried to claim NL as part of their work but it was just fantasy Bullshit.

sbeanonnamellow

Thats whatsup. I like that you make sure to place credit with Herbie. I read or heard that the original #5 was made in Hawaii with Murphys afghan Greg sent a buddy or whatever. Then that cross was sent back to Greg.

Do you know what was originally sent to Nevil that piqued his interest in the NL crew?

Nevils NL5 was selected from seed he got from the Indian/NL crew yeah?

How did the NL#1 line end up getting Nevils Mazar in it, was it with seed the NL crew purchased from one of Nevils advertisements or did they share seed with one another as a part of a trade/swap type of deal?

If NL#1 is a cross of Murphys afghan and Nevils Mazar, I am trying to sort that timeline of seeds being sent from NL crew to Nevil and where/how Nevils Mazar found it's way into the NL#1. Which came first, chicken or the egg type thing. Thanks for the concise comment, that was pretty easy to digest. Much love

sbeanonnamellow

Also, do you know if Sensi's Fruity Juice comes from any of the seed Greg sent the Sensi crew? It's listed as Thai x Afghani and that's pretty much what one of the NL lines would be if I'm making any sense of this at all.

And it's said to be some good stuff, and NL crew had the goods. Murphys afghan and Murphy don't seem to get the credit they deserve. Seems like a fundamental part of these lines came from his work and his afghan. Much love

Latest posts

Latest posts