What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Northern Lights types 1-11

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
1989 Northern Lights #5 made by the legendary Nevil Schoenmakers (RIP).
picture.php
picture.php

regseeds

@sbeanonnamellow I would not worry too much about the pedigree written down aforementioned by @willydread
Ortega MLI aka AfgT, has nothing to do with the NL Lines. Mishap from Mr Nice naming a NL5xNL1 line “Ortega”

GoatCheese

Veteran
@sbeanonnamellow I would not worry too much about the pedigree written down aforementioned by @willydread
Ortega MLI aka AfgT, has nothing to do with the NL Lines. Mishap from Mr Nice naming a NL5xNL1 line “Ortega”
Hi.
Yes, MNS Ortega is a NL hybrid, not related to the Ortega-plant used in MLI and Black Domina.
But Afg-T and Ortega are not the same plant, thou both were found from the Maple Leaf-afghani seeds by Nevil. Afg-T and Ortega are different phenotypes of Maple Leaf. The third one was called Afg-S.
There were male and female plants of the Ortega-type Maple Leaf, but Afg-T and Afg-S were both females.

And it was not a mishap by Shantibaba to call it Ortega, he named it after Jim Ortega.He used the name on purpose. Why, I dunno. …marketing?? cause it’s a cool name?
The Maple Leaf-Ortega was also named after Jim Ortega but by Nevil, so why Shanti re-used the name is something only Shanti can answer.

Shanti is well known of mislabeling his strains like G13Widow which is actually G13Skunk x Widow. G13Skunk by MNS is actually G13Skunk x Skunk. His NL5 Afghan has 25% of Skunk in it, yet he sells it as NL5/Afg.. and so on. So he really doesn't seem to care too much about names and what he tells people about his lines :moon:

Old post from Nevil:

[FONT=&quot]I don't know what Ed is calling [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Maple leaf[/FONT][FONT=&quot].
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ortega 15 was Maple leaf. This was crossed with AfgTx Sk and AfgS x sk males.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AfgT and AfgS were both sisters and pure maple leaf.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Maybe Ed thought that AfgS meant Afg(Sam). It doesn't. The hybrid Ed is talking about is 3/4 Maple Leaf.
N.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here’s an Ortega-pheno of Black Domina:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
picture.php
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
picture.php
[/FONT]

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran

I don't know if I understood your post correctly, but in any case the information on the various lineages is scattered on the web, many things are stories told by various characters in the mns forum, or senses, others not ... :)

regseeds

@goat exactly my point mns ortega came from bag seed labelled (Ortega 15xAfgTx Sk) < as MNS puts it "Basically full Afghan" that's the way i read it.

Therefore, how is that a NL hybrid? TBH I throw in the towel here aka dead end, nobody not even Nev can decipher what mns use/d in their lines.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I would also like to point out two versions that are usually pushed aside just because of the ridiculous price, kcbrain nl special and nirvana nl, sometimes their stuff is special....

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Thai dominant NL.

Thai dominant NL.

picture.php

She's a big girl for sure and will eat everything you put at her feet.
picture.php

One plant.
picture.php

Seed Run. 800 plant open pollination.
picture.php

1 in about 40 is a dwarf and finishes in 8-10 weeks from seed. She's heavy Afghani Indica.
Such a cute little girl.
picture.php

Very very nice smoke. I renamed it Boreal Lights because I haven't seen a NL like this before. It's in my sig.

GoatCheese

Veteran
@goat exactly my point mns ortega came from bag seed labelled (Ortega 15xAfgTx Sk) < as MNS puts it "Basically full Afghan" that's the way i read it.

Therefore, how is that a NL hybrid? TBH I throw in the towel here aka dead end, nobody not even Nev can decipher what mns use/d in their lines.
MNS Ortega is NL5 x NL1 as it says on MNS web site.
..and the plants look like old school NL afghani phenos, so I believe your info is wrong, mate. MNS Ortega does not look like Afg-T or Maple Leaf-Ortega at all.

I haven't grown any MNS Ortegas yet myself but i bought some seeds a while a go

Ortega was originally made a little different from Nevil when he was doing his Seedbank thing with Sensi...Shantibaba made a selection from an old school set of seeds that originated from NL#1 and NL#5...from mid 80s. It is expected to keep a good Christmas tree structure in growth and flowers in 6-8 weeks, giving strong fruity, deep berry flavors . It is an excellent all round effect and acts for many like a night medicine. Aids sleep disorders well and muscular conditions...a must try.

Family of breed: Basically full Afghan (NL#1 x NL#5)
https://mrnice.nl/dhtml/strains.php?id=60

Peace

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
MNS Ortega SHOULD be nl1 x NL5, the problem with mns things is that (as stated above) Shanti is great at keeping things confusing, on several occasions on mns forum ortega is described as Afg T x ortega 15 or other afghani, and Shanti never has denied anything,some friends who have grown it have found pheno NL, so it should be the correct lineage, but who knows for sure?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Hi folks
What nl 5 was used in the haze cross that made the a and c nlhz lines? And how long did this nl take to flower.
Thx chilliwilli

GoatCheese

Veteran
MNS Ortega SHOULD be nl1 x NL5, the problem with mns things is that (as stated above) Shanti is great at keeping things confusing, on several occasions on mns forum ortega is described as Afg T x ortega 15 or other afghani, and Shanti never has denied anything,some friends who have grown it have found pheno NL, so it should be the correct lineage, but who knows for sure?

Ortega 15 and Afg-T were females, so someone on the MNS forums has it wrong.
Sensi’s MLI had Ort-15 female crossed with male plants, so Ort-15 is a female as was Afg-T.

Here’s Nevil:

[FONT=&quot]“I don't know what Ed is calling [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Maple leaf[/FONT][FONT=&quot].
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ortega 15 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was Maple leaf. This was crossed with AfgTx Sk and AfgS x sk males.
AfgT and AfgS were both sisters and pure maple leaf. Maybe Ed thought that AfgS meant Afg(Sam). It doesn't. The hybrid Ed is talking about is 3/4 Maple Leaf.
N.”
[/FONT]

Breadwizard

I just listened to Breeder's Syndicate podcast, where he interviews Seattle Greg, and picked out a few tidbits:

NL1 was Steve Murphy's Afghani crossed with Nevils Mazer
NL2 was Steve's Afghani crossed with an Afghani from the Indian (Don Dow), Don got it from some bikers from Oregon.
NL5 (cut) was NL1 x Herbie's Hawaiian. This was different than the seeds, which apparently they worked a bit and gave Nevil seeds that were"closest to the cut" in vigor and look. He says Nevil got the cut later, repeating the "came over in a terrarium" story.
NL8 was Steve's Afghani x Big Bud clone, which was gotten through Don (as was hash plant apparently).

He says that the grading numbers were only added to give seedlots to Nevil, and that they were only by height. He didn't keep notes, so he couldn't remember what the rest were. It was inconsistent on what was used in the outcrosses to sativas for the different lines, some were Steve's Afghani directly, some were NL1.

Very interesting interview.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
he couldn't remember what the rest were.

"They" not he.

It was a crew and according to my sources Greg was just a middle man that got pissed when Nevil stepped over him and got the NL line and NL5 directly from Don aka "The Indian".

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
I just listened to Breeder's Syndicate podcast, where he interviews Seattle Greg, and picked out a few tidbits:

NL1 was Steve Murphy's Afghani crossed with Nevils Mazer
NL2 was Steve's Afghani crossed with an Afghani from the Indian (Don Dow), Don got it from some bikers from Oregon.
NL5 (cut) was NL1 x Herbie's Hawaiian. This was different than the seeds, which apparently they worked a bit and gave Nevil seeds that were"closest to the cut" in vigor and look. He says Nevil got the cut later, repeating the "came over in a terrarium" story.
NL8 was Steve's Afghani x Big Bud clone, which was gotten through Don (as was hash plant apparently).

He says that the grading numbers were only added to give seedlots to Nevil, and that they were only by height. He didn't keep notes, so he couldn't remember what the rest were. It was inconsistent on what was used in the outcrosses to sativas for the different lines, some were Steve's Afghani directly, some were NL1.

NL8 had a Big bud like plant, not the actual Big bud clone.