What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What was the early 90's light-neon green humboldt strain?

johnnybhang

This strain was known in the central valley of California as Humboldt bud. Primarily was popular in the early 90's. It was famous for being a pale light green color so unique. Really was one of the standout strains in the Sacramento valley area that kind of disappeared as far as I know. Anyone here know what this strain was or grow it?

johnnybhang

Any guesses would be welcome, just trying to get an idea of what was coming out of humboldt at the time that was a very light green in color.

Booyah!

You aren't gonna be thinking about either of those strains for long after you smoke them. Besides Blue Dream is not that old. But I am curious to what you smoked. What did it taste and smoke like?

johnnybhang

You aren't gonna be thinking about either of those strains for long after you smoke them. Besides Blue Dream is not that old. But I am curious to what you smoked. What did it taste and smoke like?

Almost 30 years ago, from what I recall a minty flavor, very smooth smoke. It was very popular for a time when brown brick still ruled the scene in northern california. That's really why it stood out so much as a contrast in those years. It was really light green, possibly lighter than blue dream or green crack in color. It really sort of vanished into the late 90's even.

rolandomota

Mexican because it's not all the same some is light green uncompressed they were probably using a tunnel so theirs no need for compression

I have lots of light green Mexicans it really is a different bright light green color but no mint in my seed lots
Because of the time very few people were growing like today. Their was a lot of brick seed growers back then.
Even bricked it looks very light green
IMG_20201019_145746.jpg
So far this weed is Chucky's choice scary uneasy did I drink to much coffee ? Weed it has no seeds damn it you can't win them all but the good thing is it's the common mango herbal smell I have many of those batches saved but the high on this shit is unique about one quarter feel good euphoria three quarters what the fuck is in that weed hyper scared high like am I having a heart attack type newbie in the hospital ER type :bow:
I would consider this not that light green at all the super light green I have not seen it lately

rolandomota

Ok so now the high has changed smoking it this morning it's still good and strong but not so paranoid uneasy heart attack type feeling it's still pretty darn good like 1/4 tripping paranoid and three quarters warm euphoria slack jawed introspection how strange it's probably due to being my first time smoking it last night? Or Maybe a real heart attack lol shit I'm only 35

mexweed

Veteran
I've had mint in a couple phenos of the memory lossXnorth indian afghan cross I made and there is a bit of mint zest in the space queen pheno of the stardawgXspace queen I grew recently, I remember reading about a few mandala strains that listed mint in their description one of which they call california dream and list it as a mexican afghan

my guess would be a sativa plant maybe even a haze crossed with an afghan since that's what those strains all have in common, space queen has jack herer in it, so for humboldt in the 90s maybe something like an nl5 jack or nl5 tw, probably something random and not what ended up being the keeper

I find the mint not bad but it gets old quick and it usually dominates making the flavor sort of one dimensional

johnnybhang

I've had mint in a couple phenos of the memory lossXnorth indian afghan cross I made and there is a bit of mint zest in the space queen pheno of the stardawgXspace queen I grew recently, I remember reading about a few mandala strains that listed mint in their description one of which they call california dream and list it as a mexican afghan

my guess would be a sativa plant maybe even a haze crossed with an afghan since that's what those strains all have in common, space queen has jack herer in it, so for humboldt in the 90s maybe something like an nl5 jack or nl5 tw, probably something random and not what ended up being the keeper

I find the mint not bad but it gets old quick and it usually dominates making the flavor sort of one dimensional

Really it was the color that stood out, to this day none of the bud I see in dispensaries has that crazy neon green look. I makes me wonder if it was possible it may have been dyed somehow though i doubt that.

X

xavier7995

Not much help, but one of the homies came back from a trip to CA in the mid 90s with the brightest green weed we had ever seen. It was minty. He had to charge like 30-40 bucks an 8th to make his money back, it was an unheard of price at the time, but damn if it wasn't the best weed within hundreds of miles.

johnnybhang

Not much help, but one of the homies came back from a trip to CA in the mid 90s with the brightest green weed we had ever seen. It was minty. He had to charge like 30-40 bucks an 8th to make his money back, it was an unheard of price at the time, but damn if it wasn't the best weed within hundreds of miles.

You nailed it man, that was the description I have of it in my head to this day. I know it was one of the go to quality strain's of that era which has mostly vanished as far as I know. I'm sure more than a few humboldt cats on here grew it too.

Burt

Veteran
Could have been Gainesville green, NL or even the classic early pearl from when sensi really was the best seedbank in the world

johnnybhang

Could have been Gainesville green, NL or even the classic early pearl from when sensi really was the best seedbank in the world

There's a thread on here where they describe the Gainesville green color as fluorescent green after its dried. It could be that strain but they also describe it as piney which I don't remember it being. To me it was more minty.

WelderDan

Veteran
There's a thread on here where they describe the Gainesville green color as fluorescent green after its dried. It could be that strain but they also describe it as piney which I don't remember it being. To me it was more minty.

Gainesville Green was piney tasting, and I would describe its as bright green, but not light neon green. Since it was long flowering, it showed up late November, early December and went fast. It would only be around for a month or so and poof, gone until next year.

johnnybhang

Gainesville Green was piney tasting, and I would describe its as bright green, but not light neon green. Since it was long flowering, it showed up late November, early December and went fast. It would only be around for a month or so and poof, gone until next year.

It may have been a Gainesville Green cross. Reason I think because those are the same months it showed up in northern California, then it was pretty much gone the rest of the year

Guava

Almost 30 years ago, from what I recall a minty flavor, very smooth smoke. It was very popular for a time when brown brick still ruled the scene in northern california. That's really why it stood out so much as a contrast in those years. It was really light green, possibly lighter than blue dream or green crack in color. It really sort of vanished into the late 90's even.

Hey, Johnny.

You could ask Tom Hill as he's familiar with that area. He's been on the Chimera forum lately.

Good luck.

Big D

icmagic
Veteran
are you sure it wasn't just the first time you saw indoor? I remember the first time I saw indoor "hydro" I described it as neon. nuclear 19

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back in the 90's sensi skunk and super skunk were neon green, although the taste description sounds more like affie, which can be like menthol.