What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The ULTIMATE stealth strain

The ULTIMATE stealth strain

• Can it be done?

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Will it not work?

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Would you grow it?

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Its legit. Just not alot people got into it or grew them. Heard they where hard to grow. Google kaly seeds you can find crap load of info on icmag and other places about him from many years back.
sometimes when it seems too good to be true ,
well ...

im sure you ll find its just a ducksfoot and they are trying to cash in on it ....

J-Icky

I’m pretty sure Kaly seeds has been exposed as a scam of sorts years back. At this point the site seems more a novelty than a serious seed bank.

There’s a reason there isn’t a single grower on any legit forum that has posted a grow of those. Surely back when they first came out and legalization wasn’t as wide spread it would’ve been a dream go to strain if it was truly legit.

teide

Veteran
sometimes when it seems too good to be true ,
well ...

im sure you ll find its just a ducksfoot and they are trying to cash in on it ....

Wally, with all your experience with the ducksfoot, have you ever come across strains that keep their webbed leaves throughout the whole flowering? I have not seen a plant that doesn't revert to palmate leaves when budding.
Also what do you think of introgressing pearly buds? I have read that introgressing other traits to ducksfoot has proven to be difficult, like different high, color or aroma. You add one, you lose the other.
My thought is that it will work with time and enough population to select from.
I recall seeing purple hybrids, don't know if they are true breeding, though.

teide

Veteran
I'm starting to think you should be spearheading this project, teide! I wish I had some way to donate genetics, but I don't own any seed stock of any of these strains being talked about.

Ace says there's only 2 more packs of the Urgam Valley sativa. Might wanna order both!

Thank you for your support, q3corn!
Great that you are rooting for me and the idea!
I would love to get started on it. I just don't have the phenos yet.
So I would love to see people get on it along with me.
Surely there are members out there who have the pearly pheno.
Then just get some seeds of the freaky leaf cultivars and we're rolling!
Swap seeds and clones.
And also contribute with experiences and opinions along the way.
Upload photos here and document the grows!

I have one freebie dr.grinspoon seed where I'll hope for the pheno. Odds are low.
I have a full pack of reg golden tiger from Ace. Dubi has told me the pheno is in the genetics, and I might find it in f2s. I will surely pheno hunt among the GT.
I also have auto desfran seeds to pheno hunt through, but that's it. No Neville's haze or Mexican sativas. So it'll be a long time before I get my own pearly buds.
When I find the pheno, I will germinate some Freakshow or subterfuge#1 seeds.
Still have to buy those, but no need for me to start breeding on those before I have a grinspoon-style bud pheno ready..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Wally, with all your experience with the ducksfoot, have you ever come across strains that keep their webbed leaves throughout the whole flowering? I have not seen a plant that doesn't revert to palmate leaves when budding.
Also what do you think of introgressing pearly buds? I have read that introgressing other traits to ducksfoot has proven to be difficult, like different high, color or aroma. You add one, you lose the other.
My thought is that it will work with time and enough population to select from.
I recall seeing purple hybrids, don't know if they are true breeding, though.
just seems as they flower and the leaf fingers lessen , they look less and less webbed , not much we can do about it , but yea maybe the look of the buds can help ,,

ive grown purple ones , we did a cross with blue satellite back in the day and they were quite purple , ive seen others that have done it also , helps a little with the subterfuge ,
cant say ive ever been a huge fan of those grape like buds , pearly ones , some have been quite strong ,, but no meat to them ,, lol..

true trying to fix too many traits all at once can be a problem , was what i initially messed up with in my original repro of the duck, it was better than it is now ,, some mistakes cant be fixed if one looses the original source , sadly ...

Miasa Mura

Pretty sure it does

https://kalyseeds.eu/

Hops does not contain thc but hops Humulus Japonicus is the closed to cannabis plant and crossing a strain to the Humulus Japonicus can make it have thc

I've always been curious about Kaly Seeds and I do belive that through breeding, it could/can be done. Just like people do with many other plant hybrid crosses. This process would likely take hundreds to thousands of seeds, a lab devoted to processing samples for THC and years of selection and note taking to accurately provider seeds with any consistency.

However I am somewhat skeptical about the crosses be legitimate. I have a suspicion that the lineage is more of an Italian or Hungarian hemp variety crossed to The Purple Star for the PAC crosses. I would love to see some lab work on the DNA to verify the Japanese Hops as an ancestor. I would really love it if they actually pulled it off :biggrin:

Miasa Mura

Hey Teide!

Awesome to see your thread :biggrin:

I've been on the hunt for the pearl for a long minute now. Ever since Barney's Farm posted the infamous String of Pearl profile picture on the Dr. Grinspoon. There are a lot of rumors as to the origins of the Grinspoon, with Quaze, Neville's Haze and Senor Garcia as the original stock. From the photos that from Quaze and the timeline I would put my guess that is from where the Grinspoon hails.

From what I gather, it's an extreme form of fox-tailing. Very common in higher altitude, South East Asian varieties. The crosses that have Thai or Highland Thai seem to pop out the String of Pearl phenos.

Destroyer - Cannabiogen
F13 - DJ Short

I have also recently found a 100 year old Moroccan landrace (Beldia) from Khalifa Seeds that have a good amount of Haze-y string of pearl phenos in every 12 pack according to the collector. I'm popping some of these seeds now on the search:biggrin: I will do a back cross of the Beldia so I have a larger stock of seeds to pop in the future.

Once I find the String of Pearls pheno (hopefully a few) I'm going to cross it with the Pure Australian. I have pollen from a male Australian in the freezer if I find a Moroccan female first. I also have more Australian plants vegging now so I'll do the reverse as well.

I know the Australian leaf is recessive so it will take some work to stabilize both traits but that's what I call doing the lords work :tiphat:

The Freakshow is still pretty recognizable as cannabis once it's a few nodes high just like the Duck's Foot ( I still love them, grow them and smoke them :biggrin: )

Just need to add some Autoflower in, so it doesn't flower at the typical harvest time to disguise the stealth strain even more.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Best of luck to both of us!
:woohoo:

teide

Veteran
as they flower they look less and less webbed , not much we can do about it..

That is why I think subterfuge#1 is the best option. Stable mutant leaves throughout the whole life cycle.

cant say ive ever been a huge fan of those grape like buds , pearly ones , some have been quite strong ,, but no meat to them ,, lol...

You are in my opinion lucky to have found them, even strong ones, nice. No breeder has so far wanted to work with those pearly phenos. I get that, due to the low yield. The only reason must be the stealthy appearance, and now that stable freak leaves exist, the pearl pheno has merit.
What is your opinion on the genetics of the grape like buds, are they recessive? Have you seen them in filial offspring? At what percentage? You as a breeder surely have experienced opinions about introgressing the buds.

trying to fix too many traits all at once can be a problem , was what i initially messed up with in my original repro of the duck, it was better than it is now, some mistakes cant be fixed if one looses the original source, sadly ...

Yeah, I read how you lost the original seeds, meant to be in safe keeping, that sucked..

teide

Veteran
Awesome to have you in the thread, Miasa!
Awesome to see your thread :biggrin:
From the photos from Quaze and the timeline I would put my guess that is from where the Grinspoon hails.

Totally agree.

Very common in higher altitude, South East Asian varieties. The crosses that have Thai or Highland Thai seem to pop out the String of Pearl phenos.

I have also recently found a 100 year old Moroccan landrace (Beldia) from Khalifa Seeds:biggrin: I will do a back cross of the Beldia so I have a larger stock of seeds to pop in the future.

Great! I have their cambodian landrace, working it to auto. Also have their shebergan. Don't know if these have the pheno. The Cambodian might be related to thai, so there is a small chance..
You work the beldia, I work my golden tiger and cambodian, the race is on..

I know the Australian leaf is recessive so it will take some work to stabilize both traits but that's what I call doing the lords work :tiphat:
Good info.

Freakshow is still pretty recognizable as cannabis once it's a few nodes high just like the Duck's Foot ( I still love them, grow them and smoke them :biggrin: )
Totally agree. From the photos I've seen, ABC and subterfuge #1 have the best leaves.
I have read that original ABC is poorer quality compared to regular strains, and that subterfuge#1 is a vastly improved version. Few grow reports yet to give any real verdict, I guess. What are your ABCs like? Worth using as is, potency wise? My thought is that potency might not be so important, the leaf structure is the vital thing. Potency might be governed mostly by the bud genes, which in the hybrid need to come from the other strain, grinspoon, thai or beldia..

Just need to add some Autoflower in, so it doesn't flower at the typical harvest time to disguise the stealth strain even more.

Hyb, the breeder of subterfuge, has already made an auto version. It is called auto bastard. Regular seeds are available.
I thought about buying those, to save time in getting both the leaves and the auto genes stable.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Best of luck to both of us!
:woohoo:

This is great!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
That is why I think subterfuge#1 is the best option. Stable mutant leaves throughout the whole life cycle.

You are in my opinion lucky to have found them, even strong ones, nice. No breeder has so far wanted to work with those pearly phenos. I get that, due to the low yield. The only reason must be the stealthy appearance, and now that stable freak leaves exist, the pearl pheno has merit.
What is your opinion on the genetics of the grape like buds, are they recessive? Have you seen them in filial offspring? At what percentage? You as a breeder surely have experienced opinions about introgressing the buds.

Yeah, I read how you lost the original seeds, meant to be in safe keeping, that sucked..
to be honest i havent seen those pearly grape phenos pop up with any consistency,

it could be a recessive trait but i havent played around with any to give an opinion ,

having said that they seem to pop up in haze progeny on occasion,
here is the last i saw that was wheat/pearl like ,
its a tom hills haze x c99 x c99 ,, most were very chunky as one would imagine , but then this one popped up ,
i think heat may have had an influence on it as lower growth from cooler times was more bunched up ...

despite its look , it was the more potent of the bunch ...

picture.php

Miasa Mura

Awesome to have you in the thread, Miasa!

Totally agree.

Great! I have their cambodian landrace, working it to auto. Also have their shebergan. Don't know if these have the pheno. The Cambodian might be related to thai, so there is a small chance..
You work the beldia, I work my golden tiger and cambodian, the race is on..

Good info.

Totally agree. From the photos I've seen, ABC and subterfuge #1 have the best leaves.
I have read that original ABC is poorer quality compared to regular strains, and that subterfuge#1 is a vastly improved version. Few grow reports yet to give any real verdict, I guess. What are your ABCs like? Worth using as is, potency wise? My thought is that potency might not be so important, the leaf structure is the vital thing. Potency might be governed mostly by the bud genes, which in the hybrid need to come from the other strain, grinspoon, thai or beldia..

Hyb, the breeder of subterfuge, has already made an auto version. It is called auto bastard. Regular seeds are available.
I thought about buying those, to save time in getting both the leaves and the auto genes stable.

This is great!

I am excited to see what you find in the Cambodian, Golden Tiger & Sherbergan!

I have only grown a male so far. Smoke reports on the flowers say the same thing that you are with a low potency but my plan is to work it in with some Thai or OG along the way to give it some kick :biggrin:

That's awesome! I should pick some of those up and see what I can find :tiphat:

Looking forward to seeing the progess, awesome to see you're working on the same thing I am:dance013:

Sava

teide, subterfuge#1 looks unusual and interesting. tons of pics are posted on IG so its "stealthy" feature is gone already :( .

Last edited:

teide

Veteran
yeah sava, I know it won't be a secret. but with different buds it will still be the stealthiest option.
non smoking bypassers near a gorilla grow would not be familiar with the IG posts, hopefully..

I am really interested in seeing how your auto bastard grows. you will make a grow and smoke report of your subt#1 and auto bastard, I hope?

teide

Veteran
thanks for the photo, DM!
Just goes to show that it doesn't have to be a verified BF grinspoon seed, and though the beads are small, they can pack a punch. more good news.
the bad news is that we still don't know all there is to the genetics of this pheno, and if it differs between strains. you suspected external factors could have influence in the specific Tom hill x c99 x c99.
I fear that not all phenos have the same genetics, some might emerge if given the right (or wrong) conditions only.
some are stable and inheritable, though.
Mystic Funk has confirmed that at least that is the case with the pearl pheno in his Oaxacan gold.
Yes it stays this way for me if cloned or reveg. I'm up to F3 on the haze x Oaxacan gold and I still get them. I can't comment on the grinspoon though. Never had it.

therevverend

Veteran
Hops and cannabis split so far back they can't be crossed with each other. Even if you could get it to make seeds, which you can't, the seeds would be sterile. Kind of like fucking a chimpanzee. You can try all you want but you aren't going to have kids. It is possible to graft one plant onto the other, something I need to try one of these days.

As far as Kaly Seeds, it's either Japanese Hops or funky Ruderalis/hemp type stuff. It's pretty cool what they've done and what they're working with but some of their claims aren't legit. Hops produce terpenes and similar chemicals to THC but they lack the engine to convert it into CBD or THC. There's been quite a few bogus claims on the internet over the last few years, people claiming to get CBD from hops. All have turned out to be false.

I'd question some of the high THC numbers Kaly claims for their cannabis plants, I doubt some of that Ruderalis looking stuff is 15% THC. They don't show actual lab test results, just post numbers. I'd look at their stuff as novelty. I wish they would't make shit up but it's easy to make unsubstantiated claims on the internet. Maybe it helps them sell a few more seeds, finance their weird breeding project. It's telling that as many discussions as we've had about it there aren't a lot more people posting pics and talking about their strains. Except as curio.

One more note about hops, almost all hop cuts (actually rhizomes) you buy are female. I can think of one variety, Fuggles, that's a hermaphrodite. I've grown hops for 20 years and never seen a male. Come to think of it, I'd like to pick some seeds out of a bag of Fuggle and plant them. See if I get any males though probably not.

This has gone off topic, almost forgot what this thread was about. Maybe better in the future to make polls consisting of yes/no questions. Makes them easier to answer. We're talking about plants with an extremely high leaf to calyx ratio, long flowering tropical mutants from Thailand or India. I'm not sure how stealthy a plant that flowers for 20 weeks outdoors is. Even though it doesn't produce typical colas it still has the basic leaf structure, smell, and growth.

It seems to be common wisdom that these strains are very potent, I've never grown one so I wouldn't know. It seems a lot of time and space to grow a plant with such a low yield, not much total resin to be harvested. I understand that's not the point, they're cool looking plants and a fun idea but I can see why they're so rare. Not just from a commercial viewpoint. Trimming would consist of removing individual calyxes. Also from the practical aspect, how many seeds could a plant without buds produce? At what point would the maximum number of receptive pistils be available? It seems like it would keep growing tips, producing more calyxes over time. Over 20 weeks of flowering that's a lot of male pollen to keep dolling out.

teide

Veteran
Last edited: