What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jamaican Strain Identification?

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Earlier this year I gave a friend some Flo cuttings, and a couple of months ago he returned the favour, giving me his only clone of a Jamaican plant he grew outdoors this summer in the UK. I saw it growing, and it's a tall, columnar plant, with minimal side-branching, and what branching there is tends to be heavier at the top - the opposite of a christmas-tree sativa. It features big, mostly forward-pointing, long-fingered leaves, but nothing like as slim-fingered as say a Thai or Malawi. It's very similar in structure to my Flos - tall, spear-shaped buds and reluctant to branch, which makes me think there could be a match made in heaven there...pollen on standby! :)

The seeds were scored from a bud he smoked there - I should say this wasn't bought on the street, but supplied by a relative by marriage, so I'm hoping it'll be one of the better local phenos. Unfortunately I didn't get to smoke any of my friend's plant, although he assures me it's great, and at the stimulant end of the spectrum (phew) and he gave me the clone as he knew I'd put it to better use than he would.
The resin smelled on the adult preflowers is very fruity spice/peppery, similar to White Widow, although I'm praying that it's not a Dutch import that was grown out there, but the real deal.

I've never grown Jamaican before, and have zero experience with them - has anyone grown anything like this before? Also, I plan to grow this indoors, rather than outdoors - I'm topping it a lot to get it as bushy as possible, and will put it into flower after Christmas.

Anyone got any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

M

Mr. Nevermind

Good luck, Jamaicans arent big on names of strains or phenos. They arent that into it. They grow it and if its good they grow more. I have never gotten a strain name from jamaicans and i go there twice a year. Most jamaican growers also grow from seed, not clone. so they always have something different.

Jamaican herb reanges from killer to shit you can get here for $10. So if your friend liekd it chances are you will too, but finding the name of it may turn out to be a fruitless endevor

Nevermind

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
No, that's cool - I was more concerned that it would turn out to be some bog-standard Dutch strain, but I think it's legit. Been looking at some old pics I had of Jamaicans, and many of them do look like mine - reassuringly!
He also gave me two seeds of 'Jamaican Highend' which he says is the bizness - haven't germed those yet.
He goes back in March, so my plan is to take a clone of this Jamaican asap (rooting now), dump some of my Flo pollen on it, and then he can take some seeds back as a gift to the guy who gave it to him. Might be messing with the gene-pool a little randomly there, but I think it should be a good blend...:)

southpaw

Interesting about Jamaicans and cultivation... makes me that much more interested in BioGen's Caribe, I think its a Blue Mts. Sativa and NL#5 cross? Sounds good, could be crap...

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
You're dealing with imported genetics my friend. Sorry! A pure Jamaican plant would be a sativa. That's a hybrid you have there, whether American, Canadian or Dutch. Jamaica is full of imported genetics now thanks to all the tourism. At least it'll be good smoke, even if all you did was re-import genetics. If you give 'em your hybrid..believe me, you won't be the first to introduce new genetics to Jamaica. There's no such thing as a Jamaican landrace. Cannabis was introduced to Jamaica.

The REAL Jamaican would look like an Indian sativa, due to the Indians who were brought over by the British over a hundred years ago...ganja is an Indian word. Here's my Andhra Pradesh landrace sativa...personally brought back from India. If you wanted some 'real deal' Jamaican, this is what you'd want..heh. I sent it to a guy on OG (Rahan) and he attempted it indoors. Took him 16-18 weeks for his seed crop! Took me a year outdoors from seed.

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
'Jamaican' update...

'Jamaican' update...

Ah well, I thought as much - never mind - things have changed a little. It's been a strange week.
This morning I finished my last bud for two weeks, and was resigned to a fortnight of hash when there was a knock on the door. It was my friend, mentioned previously, with a bin-liner under his arm. Not only had he NOT smoked his Jamaican as I thought, he hadn't even started it! What's more, it was in the bin-liner! Plus another bag of G13, and a bag of purple/green Flo trim!

'Jamaican'

G13

Turns out he hasn't even got round to them yet, and they've been hanging in his garage for the last two months! In an change of plan, he has to go back to Jamaica next week. So he's brought me everything over, and I've had the onerous task of picking out all the choice buds, and we're turning all the rest into bubblehash in an hour or two.
It was all pretty leafy, but when I got through to the nugs, they're absolutely choked in resin - the Jamaican certainly is impressive. And it smokes great - exactly as I'd hoped - very stimulating and not too racy. Very mild smell, fruity but not strong at all. So I'll take some pics of the bubblehash we turn out later - and what a turn-around in terms of my Jamaican query - it's fantastic stuff...:)
Here's a close-up of one of the Jamaican buds - oh, and he's under strict instructions to bring me back as many bloody seeds as he can fit in his bag this time...::)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Interesting - I just re-watched the free DVD of Gypsy and Bubbleman making hash in Jamaica - there's a shot of them arriving at a field, and the plants look exactly like the one I have. Not that it means it's authentic Ja strain or anything - just nice to see it in context.

Anyway...the Jamaican/G13/Flo bubblehash...

We put in 180g of trim and small buds from the two Flos (purple and green), G13 and the mystery 'Jamaican', and I estimate we got 14g of resin - I usually get 2g for every ounce of trim, so looking about right. And there's a purple sheen to the 25u resin - the water was dark purple when we finished, and the Jamaican and the purple Flo both helped there.

I'll take some pics in daylight tomorrow both pre and post-pressing. Yum - what a day!

73u:

25u:

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
Gorgeous buds and hash! I like the slight violet sheen to the 25u.

It might not be a real Jamaican sativa, but I'm glad you like the high and that it grew well for you! :)

http://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=83&page=3&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=25&daysprune=-1

Here's another guy who grew out bagseed from Jamaica. I have some Jamaican Skunk seeds I might plant soon...I also have an unopened pack of Sensi's Jamaican Pearl I brought back from the 'Dam. I'm working with Kush/Afghani/Shivas right now though.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
My buddy's on his way over now to see how to press all this sugar-hash into nice sticky balls - he's never done this before, and he's gobsmacked, frankly!

I've been smoking this JA all morning, and I'm ripped - but still very smooth. It's actually quite a lot like Flo, which is nice...oop - he's here!

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
haha..wish I was there for the party mate! I bet that hash will leave u well caned.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Haha - it has! Check these...:)

73u:

25u:

Sadly the yield wasn't as high as I thought - 8g in total. But I'm WAY higher than I thought and my friend is ordering some Bubblebags now...:)

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
looks fo0kin delicious. you're eons away from soapbar now..heh. I want to get myself some bubblebags too...eventually...

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I should get a bloody referral fee from Bubbleman for the amount of friends I've turned on to those things! But I can honestly say, in all my years of growing, they're the single most cost-effective piece of equipment I've ever used. Even if it only pulls out 4 or 5g each time, it's SO strong that you just can't smoke it all - it's two hours since I smoked that first piece and I'm still totally ripped. Although I did have a weed spliff as well afterwards...:)

But fabulous stuff - smells and tastes like Royal Nepalese - but it's stronger...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well, if this 'Jamaican' is or isn't the real deal I really don't mind anymore - I've been smoking this all day since I got up (14 hours) and I'm totally wired - still no anxiety or jitters, but plenty of blisteringly strong rushes and warm head-waves. It's very 'up' indeed, and tastes delicious, if a little over-cured, i.e. on the bland side. But I'm seriously happy to have this beauty in my arsenal now...:)

G

glock23 said:
I sent it to a guy on OG (Rahan) and he attempted it indoors. Took him 16-18 weeks for his seed crop! Took me a year outdoors from seed.

And he appreciated it a lot and was still searching for you to thank you ! The high of this strain is an outstanding one, it's clearly worth the wait :) Thanks for having shared such a lady.

Good vibes

Rahan

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Wow - they look amazing. Is that grow current? I'd be interested to see how they look at harvest-time.

G

I'm afraid it is one of the latest pics that I have. She was maybe already at 12 or 13 weeks at this time ;-)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts