What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jamaican Strain Identification?

G

I look forward to trying a Jamaican, myself. Cannabiogen's Caribe looks solid. Although it's not a pure Jamaican, it still looks wonderful. Can't wait to pop them

G

ngakpa said:
hmmm, hold your horses there fella ... see what ACE and Cannabiogen have to say on the subject ... it's perfectly possible, likely even, that Indian "Coolies" bought indica genetics with them to Jamaica too

personally I think the more diverse the picture of the reality on the ground the closer it is likely to be to reality ...

Many "Coolies" were from Gujarat ... considerably closer to Pakistan than Andhra Pradesh, for what it's worth

likewise, the fact that "ganja" and "Kali weed" are terms for cannabis used by Jamaicans, and Indian in origin, does not preclude the possibility of African and Chinese/SE Asian genetics having made it to Jamaica quite early on too...

given that Jamaica is on a major trade route, genetics there are likely to have been diverse for a while, prior to the advent of the coke trade ... the reason why people often suggest Columbian herb is mostly grown there now ... that is pure speculation on the basis that coke runs between SAmerica and Europe often via the Caribbean

anyhoo - just cause it's got fat leaves don't mean it's not authentic ... seems perfectly reasonable to me to talk about Jamaican landrace
Hi Ngakpa,

think what you say stands to reason. Every source confirms original Jamaican was an introduced south Indian, refined over years by rasta communities according to their tastes. If that makes it a landrace or not who knows? Can only talk from personal experience, top grade 80's Jamaican export weed was always happy and up, then in the 90's it got a lot more intense and trippy. Strange how that coincides with the time that Jamaica became a major part of the coca trail. Supposition, but I would guess some Columbian genetics got introduced around that time or that they were also shipping Columbian weed.

I suppose same thing has just carried on with imported European genetics too. Same goes for the names, always heard Jamaican's call their stuff "ganja" or "Kali weed".

pescador

Elevator Man said:
Fairly mild smell so far - there's a few tiny buds at the bottom that formed under the fluoros - too far from the light. Stems don't smell much at all. They're growing out now, but the resin does have a peculiar smell - it is vaguely cheesy, but not in a rancid way - kind of flowery cheese, but there's this musty, dusty smell that I can't put my finger on.

I added the second light to the growroom tonight, making 1200W, so there will be some serious growth over the next couple of days, and I'll do some portraits of this beauty then.

So same as your friend's :chin: looks like you may have something stable!
Well, that description certainly fits my plant! I know people from the UK don't have the pleasure of skunks, so are you familiar with that smell?

pescador

ngakpa said:
hmmm, hold your horses there fella ... see what ACE and Cannabiogen have to say on the subject ... it's perfectly possible, likely even, that Indian "Coolies" bought indica genetics with them to Jamaica too

personally I think the more diverse the picture of the reality on the ground the closer it is likely to be to reality ...

Many "Coolies" were from Gujarat ... considerably closer to Pakistan than Andhra Pradesh, for what it's worth

likewise, the fact that "ganja" and "Kali weed" are terms for cannabis used by Jamaicans, and Indian in origin, does not preclude the possibility of African and Chinese/SE Asian genetics having made it to Jamaica quite early on too...

given that Jamaica is on a major trade route, genetics there are likely to have been diverse for a while, prior to the advent of the coke trade ... the reason why people often suggest Columbian herb is mostly grown there now ... that is pure speculation on the basis that coke runs between SAmerica and Europe often via the Caribbean

anyhoo - just cause it's got fat leaves don't mean it's not authentic ... seems perfectly reasonable to me to talk about Jamaican landrace

Good point! My only argument to that is that most of the footage of ganja plants from the 70s have similar features in the very thin leaf, coincidence perhaps, whereas today, more wide leaf varieties are common to see. So at the very least, there was a change in prevalence of genetics. Also what I know for a fact, dutch genes, and to an unknown extent, Nepali genes (that ganja I know for a fact made its way to the Portland Parish at least which surrounds the blue mountains) came over in the 80s.

Jamaicans were the last selected off the slave ships (which is why some say they are the toughest), as the journey inwards towards JA was, some say, at least a month longer than most of the other caribian islands. Seeing how harsh these trips were, it would have been a miricle for African seeds to have survived such a trip. They were almost naked without a place to carry posessions - even if they had a place to carry someting, they were so jam packed that after a few months, seeds would likely have been crushed - and the amount of sea water or other vile water and humidity in the slave compartments would have made it hard to preserve anything without setting off germination or rotting. The seeds would then successfully have to be planted uppon first arrival. Not saying it is impossible, but extremely unlikely IMO. I buy more into the prevalance of indian genetics.

Your point of north indian genetics is interesting, check this out (from the jamaica gleaner:

"In 1845 the first group landed at Old Harbour Bay. They came from Northern India, 200 men, 28 women under 30 years old and 33 children under 12 years old, 261 people in all. The next year, five times more arrived, 1, 852 the following year, almost double that number, 2,439. At that point, the Indian Government stopped immigration in order to examine the way the system was working. The programme began again 11 years later in 1859 and continued without break until it was interrupted by World War I even though by the 1870s the Indian government began to regard the practice with disgust as stories of the hardship encountered by Indians on arrival in the West Indies began to circulate.

On arrival, the labourers were given one suit of clothing, agricultural tools and cooking utensils. Divided into groups of 20 and 40 they were then sent first by mule cart and later by overcrowded freight trains to plantations in Portland, St. Thomas, St. Mary, Clarendon and Westmoreland. Many were forced to walk to the plantation from the nearest railway station. Once on the plantation itself, they were forced to work five to six days a week for one shilling a day and lived in squalid conditions. Barracks of no more than 3 or 4 rooms were expected to accommodate several individuals and families in each room. Two shillings and six pence were deducted weekly for their rice, flour, dried fish or goat, peas and seasoning rations. Children received half rations and employers were warned to treat the children well. For example, they were supposed to receive quarterly medical check ups. "

"The last set of Indian indentured immigrants arrived in Jamaica in 1914 and the last repatriates left in 1929 with legal repatriation ending in 1930. After 70 years 53 per cent of Indians who arrived in Jamaica between 1845 and 1916 remained. They survived by sticking closely together, building on bonds forged during their journeys where ship brothers and sisters were created, and sharing in religious and cultural practices. In the 1880s many left Jamaica to work on the Panama railroad and canal in the 1880s to return at a later date. On the plantations when their required work was over the Indians often tended their own gardens and filled their evenings with storytelling, singing, ganja smoking and drinking. In fact it was the Indians who introduced ganja and the chillum pipe, called a chilam in India, to Jamaica. They held regular weekend prayer meetings and special ceremonies to commemorate weddings, Hindu festivals such as Diwali (the festival of lights) and Islamic festivals of Hosay and Eid. "

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/pages/history/story0057.htm

JDOG6000

Veteran
My Kali Mist looks like those old Ja sativa pic's.
Now I'm even more excited to finish it up!
Nice thread...

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Update...

Update...

OK - I finally got to take a few close-up shots of this Ja plant as it begins its stretch skywards. The pronounced veins can be seen on the undersides of the leaves, and the relatively few notches too. Another interesting feature is the 'thickness' of the leaves - I don't mean the blade-width, but the actual 'depth' of the leaf - they are very thick to the touch, yet whereas the NL X BB and Mystery Strain are equally thick, they are much more textured and waxy-looking - the Ja plant is very smooth-surfaced.

The most interesting feature for me though is the sheer amount of resin this thing throws out - the small dry bud pics I posted originally show it, and even on these small popcorn buds lower down the plant, the resin production is insane. The clones of this plant that are seeded have the most amazing coating of resin - so much so that initially I thought it was some weird kind of fuzzy mold! But close-up, the trichomes are web-like and tangly - the undersides of the leaves are as thickly-coated as the bottom. I don't think photos of these will do them justice, as they're covered in old dried-up pollen/flour gunk, so I'll save that treat for later on!

The resin smell is so peculiar - cheesy doesn't really cover it, but it does have that 'sour' aroma. It's so hard to describe that again, I'd rather wait until it's budding properly before I make another attempt! But I hope some more light is shed on this very, very interesting strain...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Flowering update...

Flowering update...

Here's a few new pics of this amazing Jamaican thing - not getting too tall yet, but I'm ready for it! The leaf shapes are getitng amazing - almost sinister, like a claw or something.

The color too is remarkable - it's a distinct blue-green now, more so than anything else in the garden, even the purple Flo. This is going to be one to watch... :chin:

Last edited:

pescador

Elevator Man said:
. This is going to be one to watch... :chin:
[/img][/url]

Amen! Those are some great healthy looking plants! The smell that you decribe is the same as what I have, though the color of your leaves is darker. I assume it aint a N thing as you have other plants to compare it to that are getting the same nutes.

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Pescador - it started off more 'emerald' green under fluoros, but after a week under HID it darkened up considerably - it really is the most amazing blue-green. The purple Flo is usually my darkest in veg, but it now looks like a very deep khaki next to the Jamaican - have a look on my current grow thread, as you can see all the different greens together! My friend's outdoor version last year was much lighter green than this. The leaf-shape also is not the same as he got - this is much more claw-like.

I'll take some pics tonight of the seeded clones of this plant so you can see the resin coverage - it's really disturbing, frankly. They almost look like they're covered in fuzzy mold, it's so extensive. And the 'cheesy' smell is less pronounced on mature buds - it's more medicinal, sweeter and more floral. But nothing like strawberries at all...:)

tiedye420

So
My friends thank you so so much.
I am subscribing to this thread today.
Yesterday, I finally got around to germinating an old hand me down jamaican strain.
It has been handed down since before "american influence"..I felt it was very important to a few of us....It has top priority.
But seeing the confusion and mixup of the past, hopefully this will be the old school coming back around in the future...I see it's more important than i'd previously thought.. I'll be careful to tag everything properly.
BTW it's Jam red hair i'm praying will germinate well...

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I'm attempting to germinate my first batch of Thai seeds now, and hope to have a few more exotic sativas under my belt before too long....Mexican and Colombian being the priority...:)

pescador

Elevator Man said:
I'm attempting to germinate my first batch of Thai seeds now, and hope to have a few more exotic sativas under my belt before too long....Mexican and Colombian being the priority...:)

Is there any way to get the pure original highland Oaxaca from a reliable source? I would love to do a backcross with a FLO to get a stable, high energy and motivational shorter flowering plant. Not the thread here to ask about this...I know :bat:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Pescador - Check your PMs.

I plan to do a similar experiment when I can get some. Actually, a few of my Flo F2s have come up bright green with longer sativa leaves, so there's always the slim possibility I could try and extract something similar to an H.O.G. by the F4 level or so. That's if I had any idea what I was doing, of course...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Oh. My. God.

Is that it? That looks really, really close - wow. The leaves have more blades than mine, but then mine's a lot smaller than that! The leaf-color is very close though. Do the buds turn purple at all? The resin production on this thing is incredible - the seeded clones I made are practically choking in their own trichomes! :)

BTW, is that on the CBG site? I can only find pics of their current seed strains? There's also this..:)

http://www.cannabiogen.com/imagenes/galeria/fotos/grandes/VGJamaicaLambsbread.jpg

Last edited:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
kaiki sent me that pic years ago...2003 I think.Labeled Blue Mountains 1984 :D

Latest posts

Latest posts