What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Perennial (multi year) Cannabis plants/strains. Anybody any proof?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Well it was more a hypothetical project (for others to try) as I don't see a whole lot of benefit in creating a perrenial variety for my needs.

I have pretty mild winters here so am personally more interested in developing a strain to grow over the winter months. So far it's been a successful experiment :)

Seeds were germinated mid-late May, flowering iniatiated late June and harvest was mid to late August. Yields were low and flowers were airy but suprisingly with a decent level of trichomes and nice aroma.

I left some lowers to see if the plant would survive over the winter. They still look "alive" but don't appear to be growing. It's already warmed up here and equinox is just a few weeks a way so hopefully we'll see some new growth soon :)
I grow or have grown them here in the southern hemisphere , which im guessing your also in giving what youve said ,
but im at 17 degrees from the equator , so on the coast it could barely be called winter , however at 920 metres where i live we get some winter , 6 to 8 weeks at least of cool to cold nights , and some cold days too depending on the wind and level of cloud ,

anyhow from the solstice onwards seems to be fine , keeping in mind we have november storms that will ruin buds and make them reveg ,

we allowed 16 weeks , from seed to harvest , which is about right most of the time for hybrids where i live ,
so definitely its doable ,, i think the biggest hurdle is short days really , mine are 11 hours at the minimum ...

those plants harvested in october and november , if i left a few branches on the bottoms will reveg and grow much larger than the first time ,

i think this is the sort of thing that perennial cannabis stories come from , so yes they will regrow into a larger plant on a second run and can be harvested if the monsoon isnt too harsh , but that all occurs within a year cycle ... so certainly not perennial or even biannual ..

Mallitlahuani

Is it possible that within the extreme sativa spectrum of genetics there is something similar to what I would consider the extreme indica spectrum; autoflowers which flower based on their own internal bioclock usually because they we're adapting to a location with a very short and unpredictable period in which to produce seeds

The opposite would be more like a auto veg meaning it would flower based on size and light intensity, we all know those huge tropical sativas, they evolved to grow so big because they were competing with everything else that grows in the tropics, everything here grows fast all year round but thease tropical sativas managed to beat them in height and growth time but not in 1 year, thus comes my theory of the auto veg plant which would grow and grow with no frost or shortened days to slow it down but with insects and animals allways wanting to munch it there it yet another reason to not slow down and flower besides there not being enough light below the canopy, once one of thease mad sativas breaches the canopy it has enough light intensity to trigger it and it flowers

xerb

OK, now that everybody has made up their minds, I am going to drop 2 pennies and run!

Here in the California Sierra Mountains, at a latitude of 39.2 N, at about 1500 foot elevation
in the western foothills we used to grow in a greenhouse and often tried to get a second crop
in after the summer crop was harvested. I was much younger then - what else was there to do?

The greenhouse was in a nice spot, even in the winter, the sun would warm it to about 70-80 F
(unless it was cold and cloudy). Because the sun is so much weaker this time of year, most
strains would throw loose, fluffy buds not worth a damn.

We failed at first, but persevered, and finally found a strain that produced acceptable buds
even in the shortest, coldest months of the year. The plants we harvested in winter were tiny,
and the buds were tiny, but they were smelly, sweet and aromatic, reminiscent of Hawaiian.
Most would consider it "kind" bud, of course they were colorful too, most being blue or purple.

One of the plants in the greenhouse we had harvested in September, I believe it was called
"Great White", continued to push out scraggly new growth from its stump all winter.
When March came along it really started to grow. Within a month or so, it had over a dozen
new stems with 12" of new growth.

All of this new growth was flowers, but instead of looking like it had the summer before,
it now looked almost like a pure Thai land race, with two bracts and then more stem and then
another two bracts, more stem, on and on... It grew only single leaves, and never a 3 or 5.
It looked pretty tortured, but it had a will to live!
Believe it or not, it smelled great, as good or better than it had the summer before!

I am sure it would have made it through another summer if left to it's own devices.

We finally gave up on it completely turning around and cut it to make room for the new crop.

and that's my 2 cents, XERB - you live long enough, you see some strange stuff !

xerb

Hey guys,

These pictures posted by TheDarkStorm show exactly the type of growth our plant exhibited
(except ours was prettier, more symmetrical, long willowy stems of calyxes and white hairs
with just single leaves, looking like strings of pearls).

reveg.jpg

It seemed to be stuck in between re-vegging and flowering, putting out long branches of just
this kind of growth. I didn't see these pictures earlier.

Was there a seed company called Great White? And a strain called Great White Shark?
It was the only time I grew one of their strains and the details are slowly coming back. XERB

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Hey guys,

These pictures posted by TheDarkStorm show exactly the type of growth our plant exhibited
(except ours was prettier, more symmetrical, long willowy stems of calyxes and white hairs

It seemed to be stuck in between re-vegging and flowering, putting out long branches of just

Was there a seed company called Great White? And a strain called Great White Shark?
It was the only time I grew one of their strains and the details are slowly coming back. XERB

Great White Shark is part of the white family shanti re named it Shark Shock White Widow is now Black widow so on.

When you re veg flowing plants you get that look but it will start to grow normally eventually.

Mallitlahuani

Hey guys,

I have noticed those same characteristics when re vegging plants also but I have never seen a plant do it on it's own without external light to re veg it, sounds very interesting if it did it on it's own

clearheaded

xerb
There was infact a company called great white north seed company.. was in the 00s with chimera legends etcs. may even still have beans at hemp depot. specialized in outdoor sativa var. manitoba poison, bunker bud island bud alot of durban based stuff..

but also yes great white shark is a dif thing alltogether...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have not looked this up, but when you think about it, the cotyledons are above ground. It can't die off and start again.

Some seeds have the cotyledons underground, and push up a shoot. You can go over them with a mower and the cotyledons will push up another. They have a chance at getting through a winter and starting again. Our plants don't have the cotyledons under ground steming out. Ours just push a root out, so the cotyledons extend out of the ground stood upon a root, often wrongly termed a stem. They then grow the stem, once above ground. If you mow that, it's dead. Our roots don't grow shoots/stems our cotyledons do. So you would have to get through winter with both root and stem. Which only exists above ground. However, if you do that, as has been said, it's not growing again. It's still growing.

Taima-da

I have planted in March/April, picked in September/October, reveged slowly and picked again in May/June, so just over a year, but never been able to reveg in winter (June/July/August here).

My fourteen month plants were only possible with tropical sats that will veg for a couple of months regardless of day length. I have had one plant put up a few weird odd veg growths when the rest of the plant was in full flower, but even that died off with cooler weather after losing vigour.

I have a friend who swears he has done so over several seasons with Sumatran stock by digging up the rootball and reveging in a bag indoors over winter, but I've not seen it. And winter is quite long and cold here to have a plant sitting almost dormant.

One consistent thing I've heard about these mythic plants is that the owners never harvest as we do, but just pull off buds as they want to use, so I suppose that could mean less of a metabolic shock than picking most of the plant in one go, or even than staged pickings

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Nobody remembers the photo from australia of the 3 or 5 year plant? It was a photo of a plant which was grown in a former chicken coop location. Was a giant bush at least 10 feet tall. Not a hard freeze location.

Edit: apologies, it was on cannabisworld or overgrow 20yrs ago. Oops

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Nobody remembers the photo from australia of the 3 or 5 year plant? It was a photo of a plant which was grown in a former chicken coop location. Was a giant bush at least 10 feet tall. Not a hard freeze location.

Edit: apologies, it was on cannabisworld or overgrow 20yrs ago. Oops
could you tell by the photo thats what it was,
or did you have to rely on what someone said/guessed, or exaggerated ??

you cant make an annual into a perennial ,
the only way to extend their life is how we do it via cuttings and manipulating the daylight hours ,
in a natural setting it just stays an annual ...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It was growing next to a shed at least 8 ft tall, and it looked like multi reveg mess as it should have. Dead old growth and new growth intermixed.

I do not believe it was actually harvested except a few flowers here and there. Not sure.

xet

If it can be a perennial because we helped it perennial then it's ability to defy annual death means it is not only an annual.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
haha ,
thats stretching it though xet ,
it is what it is in its natural setting , an annual ,
manipulation by man doesnt count imo ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
It was growing next to a shed at least 8 ft tall, and it looked like multi reveg mess as it should have. Dead old growth and new growth intermixed.

I do not believe it was actually harvested except a few flowers here and there. Not sure.
it may have flowered once and then revegged by the sounds of it ,
some folks think and get mixed up that would be more than a year because it was from june , till june the following year ,
but my maths says thats still just 1 year ....
where i live i can get two harvests from hybrids ,
without manipulating the day length myself ,
but it is still within a 1 year period ...

xet

haha ,
thats stretching it though xet ,
it is what it is in its natural setting , an annual ,
manipulation by man doesnt count imo ...
It's the same logic as "dogs only live to 8 years old and I don't care if man helps a dog live 20 years, dogs only live 8 years I don't care if you say dogs live 20 years"