What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Haze discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No, Nevil and the crew disliked breeding to the skunky aroma side in the NL spectrum because they were looking for a more subtle aromatic cultivar allowing the Haze aromaic traits to be more dominant in the offspring. That why Nevil selected NL#5 to outcross both Haze males and found these to be best in that regard.

With the skunk dj people may be rembering 2 separate lines...the one in cali/usa seems to be some sort of indica type plant...but sams was originally a quite sativa looking plant...was supposed to be 75% sativa and actually looked it too...I believe that was some of the very earlier skunk sam had but later generations seem to hav been bred to make it a more indoor friendly plant alot more indica and sweeter smelling.

This is why I thought haze had been breed into skunk back then. What I remember it was mostly Sativa. I grew up in cali.. I guess my initial question would be did Skunk back then have haze in it?.. I was just 17 at the time so my memory its that great..

D

dj9

Spellcheck will not work on names like that...

And the thing is people have plenty of respect for your stories which is why folks will follow your lead when they see a spelling like that

I had to correct myself a while back after Nevil appeared on MrNice Forums it was obvious what was the correct spelling

Also its good respect for the man that brought us many of the genetics we have today Pioneer for sure We may not be here if not for him Even the Forums all of it...

Lets get the stories straight Its good to hear I honestly dont know about Todd and he may regret what he did say now with everything he has Nevil's haze in it

I do think he wants to get original haze to people

It all really remains to be seen as of now :tiphat:
Hey herb,
Todd met Nevil once at a show in Amsterdam. They talked and had Nevil showed him some good Haze. When Todd went to the castle Nevil had already moved out 4 years before.
He went on the Ben Dronkers castle tour. Nevil wasn't there.
The OHaze is not the same Haze. Its what we called A'dam coffeeshop Haze.
Some old Haze SK cross. They sell it in Canada as El Diablo or Coastal Haze.
Its been around BC for 40 years. I believe Sam/xxxxx got it from Reeferman
and that its not from the originals. I have grown a lot of both and even crossed them together . That's my opinion. I once fully seeded 30 kilos of Haze/5 with the C male and it went to Coffeeshops all over Holland. At least 1.5 million of those went out in the weed. My answer to Nevils arrest at the time haha...I thought that'll learn them. So Lord knows what came out of that.

FYI you do not get 1.5 million seeds from 30 Kg seeded buds.
And I did not get it from Reeferman, I bred OHaze X Skunk #1 and was the first to release it in Calif. then Holland.
OHaze is pure Haze, plain and simple.
-SamS

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDarkStorm

Yep alot of people dont realise positronics haze was actually haze#19 x ( haze#19 x sk#1)...they originally used to sell it as original haze with the description that it was haze with a hint of skunk...later this changed to just haze..'may have been bred further towards the haze side...not to sure about seedsmans tho...that seems to flower for much longer too.

Yo Sammy

Veteran
Yes he does

So it seems like its still around.
Good to know, thank you for the confirmation.
Could you maybe help elaborate the difference in hybrid vigour between the old Haze C hybrids and the newer versions available?
Genetically this outcome doesn’t add up.
Ive tried many of these modern Haze C hybrids myself and i found that compared to these C5 hybrids carry much more vigour. Doesn’t seem a logical outcome imho.
Do you think modern Haze C hybrids are a bit more “tweaked” to more modern expectations?

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Yep alot of people dont realise positronics haze was actually haze#19 x ( haze#19 x sk#1)...they originally used to sell it as original haze with the description that it was haze with a hint of skunk...later this changed to just haze..'may have been bred further towards the haze side...not to sure about seedsmans tho...that seems to flower for much longer too.

Wouldn't that be the same Haze Homegrown Fantaseeds and Nirvana seeds obtained from positronics?

Just realized someone corrected the thread title.
Thanks to whoever it was.

kamyo

Veteran
Such great information here. Feels like I'm sitting at a table with a bunch of rock stars. It's very important to me to know and respect the history of cannabis breeding, and this is yet another front row seat on IC full of amazing information and people. Thanks to everyone and your contributions.

Without going too deep into NL5 and its own history, how did the NL5 mom look in the NL crosses made with the A/C Hazes? I suppose it's widely accepted/known that there's sativa in there, but I'm curious about how she looked when she was bred to the males. Specifically, I guess I'm curious about how much sativa, if any, was present in the mom, and how that may have played a role in the A5/C5.

OldCoolSativa, I thought the Dominican question was brilliant. I'm assuming this was to try to determine if the NYC Piff stock came directly from Neville.

Tropical Sativa

dj9, please can I ask have you ever tried this famous piff/frankies haze from NY that everyone talks so highly of? Or the florida black haze?

If so do you think it's possible either are from Nevils work, or earlier precursors of the haze maybe?

(Didnt Nevil mention something about obtaining old haze seed from NY too, or was that others speculation?)

Chimeras Simply Irresistable strain has phenos very reminicant of the old SSH I tried back in '98.

The mum of simply irresistable is from a NYC haze bag seed, makes you wonder..

D

dj9

Haze male A has been gone for a long time. Thats not my thought but from Nevil his own words.

Because somone that worked for him forgot to make cuts before flowering it. When that was i dont know, but defantly pre 2000.

If haze male c is till alive i expect Shanti to have it still, if its still in NL im not shure when it is it be at Bonk.

Just because people on here always doubt and think they know better (not aimed at you dj9)

View Image

Your expiernce of that time are very intresting dj9 please dont let some doubts ore questions scare you of here. :tiphat:
Hey Karma
I am glad you found this. I havnt followed or read all these things on the forums, and this must be right if Nevil said it. Like I said ...as far as I know. Wasn't completely sure on that one.
Must have been an A offspring of some kind he told me about that was still in Europe.
If I make mistakes on things like this please do tell me. You know we all been though a lot these last decades and although thinking the A male was still alive is kind of major I was mistaken on that. I am not here trying to sell anything nor do I have some personal agenda.
To me and many others these Hazes are the most important plants in history.
Nevil never claimed to get them through immaculate conception. He got seeds from Sam who got them from whoever ...etc etc all the way back.
Nevil realized their power . He bred them and got them out to people all over the world. He also learned every possible thing one could learn about them in the process. Cause they were his favorite as well.
No one knew at the time that nothing better would come along....just that it was the best so far. And I have smoked many kilos of the best Haze on the planet from then, right up to 20 minutes ago. So if I make an error about something , its not out of malice or whatever ...I just forgot. D

TheDarkStorm

Wouldn't that be the same Haze Homegrown Fantaseeds and Nirvana seeds obtained from positronics?

Just realized someone corrected the thread title.
Thanks to whoever it was.

Yes royal flush they had the same ...tho wat the individual companies have done with them from back then till now im not sure of.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Such great information here. Feels like I'm sitting at a table with a bunch of rock stars. It's very important to me to know and respect the history of cannabis breeding, and this is yet another front row seat on IC full of amazing information and people. Thanks to everyone and your contributions.

Without going too deep into NL5 and its own history, how did the NL5 mom look in the NL crosses made with the A/C Hazes? I suppose it's widely accepted/known that there's sativa in there, but I'm curious about how she looked when she was bred to the males. Specifically, I guess I'm curious about how much sativa, if any, was present in the mom, and how that may have played a role in the A5/C5.

OldCoolSativa, I thought the Dominican question was brilliant. I'm assuming this was to try to determine if the NYC Piff stock came directly from Neville.

Isn't NYC Piff accepted as coming from Miami FL making it The Black Haze? So it should have been a Cuban not a Dominican.

Hello DJ9, Do you know what state's were the biggest purchasers of Nevil's seeds back then?

Last edited:

TheDarkStorm

dj9, please can I ask have you ever tried this famous piff/frankies haze from NY that everyone talks so highly of? Or the florida black haze?

If so do you think it's possible either are from Nevils work, or earlier precursors of the haze maybe?

(Didnt Nevil mention something about obtaining old haze seed from NY too, or was that others speculation?)

Chimeras Simply Irresistable strain has phenos very reminicant of the old SSH I tried back in '98.

The mum of simply irresistable is from a NYC haze bag seed, makes you wonder..

By the way guys im sure the older Dominican/cuban guys already confirmed ther original cut was from nl5haze-c

NEED 4 SEED

I can confirm that in a certain CS in a southern town they have always been available. Not all at the same time, but all the time at least one of the cuts.

Always brought my own Haze to Amsterdam from there.

Untill present there is only 1 coffeeshop in the dam that offers authentic flowers from the old cuttings.

Can you guys be more specific which coffeeshops you mean? I wouldn't go tomorrow but it'd be always nice to know where to look. If you don't wish to discuss them openly I'd take pm gladly.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Dj9 so with out say the NL and other things Nev hybridized Haze with that Nev you grew out and tested it is possible that Haze may of been left on the shelf .

As haze going by Sam and Nev really shined only when it was out crossed.

Thanks Mods / Admin for fixing up the title of the thread.

NEED 4 SEED

Thanks for the pictures need for seed..looks like you picked a good one..and well done for trying to keep the genetics going....its a shame you lost the ssh mother sounds like it was a winner.

Yes, she stood out from the others. One of her sisters was hay-catpiss and another one hay iirc and they didn't have the potency of their sister. At least they all were really sativa-like.
2 years ago I grew GH SSH again and it was a completely different plant.
Smell now was pretty much on the lemon side, no church and sandalwood or pepper or catpiss in it and the buds looked like super skunk on steroids.
Actually a joke if you expected haze. Potency pretty low and up high but yield pretty good.

The new new SSH from GHS:

I didn't keep any of them cause of the low potency and one-dimensional effect.

Last edited:

kamyo

Veteran
By the way guys im sure the older Dominican/cuban guys already confirmed ther original cut was from nl5haze-c

Thanks. My original point was more about the question asked than it was about the actual background. Sometimes a person does have all (or most of) the answers, but the right questions need to be asked to connect the dots or rule out possibilities.

OldCoolSativa

Great info, dj, we all appreciate it. Great to chat with someone who was there. :) Interesting to hear that Nevil only had ~100 primal haze seeds to work with. A 6% germ right sounds about right if they weren't stored poorly.

dj, did you ever talk to Nevil about the NYC haze? Did he ever smoke it or have an opinion where it came from?

Gracias! Exactly. There are two key questions in the haze story:

1. Where did Sam get the primal haze seeds that spawned the haze A and C males?
  2. Where did the NYC haze come from?

General consensus I've read is it most likely came from Nevil's work, most likely a haze-A-leaning Neville's haze pheno or possibly Nl5HzC. There may have been a few variants, BigHerb would probably know. The Dominicans had the cut locked down and controlled the market from production on Florida, transportation and distribution in New York. My theory is that, because the Domincans had such a well run organization, that they probably sourced the best beans they could find in the world and visited the Cannabis Castle to meet with Nevil. Perhaps they were able to buy some Nl5HzA seed from Nevil. Anyway, it's just a theory. I'd love to know what Nevil thought about the NYC haze.

Status
Not open for further replies.