What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Haze discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDarkStorm

Logic dictates wherever Nevil got his seeds was not from the same batch as Sacred seeds were selling as O.Haze at the time (mid 80's).

Nevil regretted losing the Haze female that never finished flowering. Couldn't he just buy another pack (anonymously if required) and look for a nice female if they were all the same?

Nevil got 2 out of 2 keeper males in a batch of 7 plants so it's not like a big pheno hunt would be needed.

In any case we are at the stage where only DNA testing can conclusively prove what is what and who got what from where but neither MNS or Sam are willing to go that route.

I wonder why?

Peace,

N7

Nevil already confirmed in his own words all his haze came in seed from sam.

TheDarkStorm

I dont know much about the cuts floating around right now...only that karma had the last surving cutting in his crew so put it out there again amongst friends..i think karma said its one of the production phenos used for bud/smoke...also I think nevil confirmed the a5 on the cover of the catalogue was the a5(2a)

Last edited:

JohnnyChicago

Some of the pics of the more NLD Ohaze plants Todd has posted on IG piqued my interest. I have never smoked a decent "pure" Ohaze yet that I liked...maybe you have? Don't know. Not saying it doesn't exist...and not saying Todd has it...I'm just saying that I haven't gotten to grow it or smoke it yet myself.

I've grown TFD's version of Ohaze...and it was in the "hay" category. I grew Tom's haze and found a few that I would call decent...could have maybe found a great plant if I'd had more than a couple packs to go through.

Sorry to say this, but it is not because you haven't been able to find, grow or smoke a good Original Haze, that Original Haze is hay.

And please don't think others do not know what a good Haze hybrid is.

I think A5, C5, HPH, Mex Haze and all the others are all not bad.
Even the pure Original Haze that was sold in Coffeeshops was not bad at all ...

bigherb

Veteran
Didn't Nevil himself set you straight at Mrnice forums?

Nevil:

Still a lot of questions about haze and apparently a lot of conflicting stories.
I haven't been paying attention to what Sam the Skunkman has been saying. He lost me years ago and if he wants to come out from behind his alias and go toe to toe with me, well that will be just fine with me (hey David).
If he is saying that he gave me Purple Haze and it was crap, Well that's true. If he is saying that his lime green Haze was crap , well that's true too. If he is saying that he gave me a Haze cutting, well to be honest, I can't remember, but if he did it was crap. I seem to recall that he entered his lime Haze in a Cup, if he did he got his arse kicked.
The Haze seeds I got from Sam were grown in America in 69/70. I got them in the mid 80's. All of my Haze came from these seeds of which I was saying I got 7 plants. I was hoping that Sam would come out with something good from his remaining seeds, he never did and to my knowledge, nor did anyone else. The only good haze that hit the market was from two males

FFFFFiNNN
amazing soo its true your stock did come from SAMS,but it was stock of seeds not his other verisons of events

First off he set the record straight not me , that conversation was in great spirits

Secondly your welcome because a big majority of that Haze info from
Nevil was because questions I asked

Third if you believe everything you read I’ll sell
You a London brick

Below is a Nl5HzC description from
The seed bank catalog , Soo was it 69 seed or seed from the last crop grown in America ??? Even the pope has told a white lie . That is contradicting info below and above used for sales .

Northern Lights #5 x Haze F-1 Hybrid

Due to tremendous customer demand, we have spent years searching for a superb Sativa/Indica hybrid that is suited for indoor growing, but still retains the unique Saliva qualities in the high. The Haze x NL#5 hybrid is the result of this search.

Haze is a late Sativa from America, widely agreed by experts to be the best pot in the world. Very popular in the 70's, it nearly became extinct in recent years as as growers switched to easier varieties. We managed to salvage a few viable seeds from the last crop grown in the US, and we have used them to prooduce this remarkable hybrid.

Clearly Nevil admits he was given seed and clones . Which stock was used only Nevil Knows or maybe his best friend will tell more we have to wait for hempy to pull his strings

Also for your head , how likely is it that Nevil was given 69 seed from Sams if Sams didn’t smoke Haze until 71

I think my time is this thread is done , I’ll leave the amazing comments and questions for the Haze geniuses and hempy fan boys. Ask hempy he spoke directly with Nevil , he surely has all the answers

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Sorry to say this, but it is not because you haven't been able to find, grow or smoke a good Original Haze, that Original Haze is hay.

Mad Mac’s THH is not hay by the looks and description...and it’s an Ohaze. If you think Mac’s haze is hay, you just might be wrong there. Something must be getting lost in translation here. By the way, I never said all Ohaze was hay...but I know for damn sure the TFD haze I bought was hay, lol. I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here, actually. You’ve got me confused concerning the point you’re trying to make here.

For a strain that was born and bred not far from me, it’s actually really hard to find good sativa here unless you grow it yourself. Cali doesn’t have coffee shops yet and most people here like cookies and wedding cake and sherbet and all the dessert weed anyway.

And please don't think others do not know what a good Haze hybrid is.

Sorry, but what the hell are you even talking about? Lol. I never said “others” don’t know anything about haze hybrids...I’m shaking my head over here...trying to figure out what your point actually is. I know there are good haze hybrids since I’ve smoked most of them already...I don’t need “others” to tell me what is good or not. Just pass me the joint and I’ll tell you if I like it or not, lol

I think A5, C5, HPH, Mex Haze and all the others are all not bad.

Good for you...I agree that there are great hybrids available...I’ve never said different, actually...so I’m not sure why you’d tell me this. I mean...I’m glad you feel that way and all, but it’s immaterial to what I’m doing.

HB.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
First off he set the record straight not me , that conversation was in great spirits

You a London brick

The seed bank catalog , Soo was it 69 seed or seed from the last crop grown in America ??? Even the pope has told a white lie . That is contradicting info below and above used for sales .

Clearly Nevil admits he was given seed and clones . Which stock was used only Nevil Knows or maybe his best friend will tell more we have to wait for hempy to pull his strings

Also for your head , how likely is it that Nevil was given 69 seed from Sams if Sams didn’t smoke Haze until 71

I think my time is this thread is done , I’ll leave the amazing comments and questions for the Haze geniuses and hempy fan boys. Ask hempy he spoke directly with Nevil , he surely has all the answers

Bigherb you continue to insult me even when i ignore you and you act like you were there watching the haze exchange between Nev and Sam and regardless of what Nev has posted you continue to ignore all of what both Nev and Sam has said if you find the information unpalatable.Well that is not how it works Bigherb .

JohnnyChicago

Mad Mac’s THH is not hay by the looks and description...and it’s an Ohaze. If you think Mac’s haze is hay, you just might be wrong there. Something must be getting lost in translation here. By the way, I never said all Ohaze was hay...but I know for damn sure the TFD haze I bought was hay, lol. I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here, actually. You’ve got me confused concerning the point you’re trying to make here.

Now this is an international cannabis forum and as far as I know, it is not reserved only to native UK/US/AUS citizens. So please make some effort to understand what people are writing.

But I guess I did understand very well what you wrote:

TFD Original Haze was hay for you.
Basically the same thing people have been saying of Seedsman Haze (that is the same as the old TFD) for 2 decades until some guys decided to really grow and explore it lately and now suddenly it is no hay anymore.

You also say that you never have smoked a decent pure haze.
And that's basically only your problem, not our :)

But hey man peace :) I want only say that pure Original haze is a great smoke that every Haze head should have smoked a good one at least one in his life.
And if Todd will be offering a good one, that's good, but to be honest I don't think it will be much diffrent from what TFD did get from Sam.

Some of the pics of the more NLD Ohaze plants Todd has posted on IG piqued my interest. I have never smoked a decent "pure" Ohaze yet that I liked...maybe you have? Don't know. Not saying it doesn't exist...and not saying Todd has it...I'm just saying that I haven't gotten to grow it or smoke it yet myself.

I've grown TFD's version of Ohaze...and it was in the "hay" category. I grew Tom's haze and found a few that I would call decent...could have maybe found a great plant if I'd had more than a couple packs to go through.

Last edited:

hellfire

I can see it now, the amount of energy spent on this topic and discussion is a lot. Debating over history and who got what and called what what. The amount of effort chasing specific haze cuts or lines looking for those killer phenos and amazing smoke....

All that energy could be spent breeding something that puts haze to shame. I personally don't believe its a 1 in a billion dart shot miracle plant. It is great when you find those killer phenos and haze is quite the plant genetically but definitely not the end all be all nor the maximum benchmark for high. Progeny testing is important when chasing psychoactivity and how many people actually do that these days...

TheDarkStorm

You a London brick

It makes sense actually...nevil said he was given the last seeds the haze brothers had grown themselves....looking at the bags he explained how ther were...im trying to work out which bit dont make sense...if haze was grown later by them how would he know....
Something else I also find very odd....sam was seriously pissed at nevil passing on those haze plants to ben...an I believe even tried to gett them off ben...why was he after these so bad an so pissed ther wer passed on if they wer the same as wat was out ther already and had came out of his own work an were somthing he could recreate himself at anytime..or anyone could find in the other haze seeds available by 1990-1991

Also please dont get pisd...I dont think non of us are being fan boys...I respect your perspective..in fact I think you did great work in bringing the basic legend of the haze back to light...wer all entitled to our own view points from the information we see an find...it seems like all of us so far can respect that...the discussion seems to be going ok so far....

Last edited:

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Now this is an international cannabis forum and as far as I know, it is not reserved only to native UK/US/AUS citizens. So please make some effort to understand what people are writing.

But I guess I did understand very well what you wrote:

TFD Original Haze was hay for you.
Basically the same thing people have been saying of Seedsman Haze (that is the same as the old TFD) for 2 decades until some guys decided to really grow and explore it lately and now suddenly it is no hay anymore.

You also say that you never have smoked a decent pure haze.
And that's basically only your problem, not our :)

But hey man peace :) I want only say that pure Original haze is a great smoke that every Haze head should have smoked a good one at least one in his life.
And if Todd will be offering a good one, that's good, but to be honest I don't think it will be much diffrent from what TFD did get from Sam.

It’s a nice problem to have, actually...gives me something to work on. By the way, don’t forget that the haze you’re enjoying originally came from California...it’s only a matter of time before it makes its way back here...in fact, it may already have.

As for what Todd has...the only thing I can say with any confidence is “we shall see.” I’m not going to discount what he’s got until those seed arrive and I get a chance to grow them out and see for myself...that’s the only way to form an honest assessment, imho.

Peace, JC!

HB.

TheDarkStorm

I can see it now, the amount of energy spent on this topic and discussion is a lot. Debating over history and who got what and called what what. The amount of effort chasing specific haze cuts or lines looking for those killer phenos and amazing smoke....

All that energy could be spent breeding something that puts haze to shame. I personally don't believe its a 1 in a billion dart shot miracle plant. It is great when you find those killer phenos and haze is quite the plant genetically but definitely not the end all be all nor the maximum benchmark for high. Progeny testing is important when chasing psychoactivity and how many people actually do that these days...

I think its safe to say hell fire that most of us here are haze fans tho...and despite haze being around something like 50 years it can still match upto some of the best...regardless of wen an what people have made along the way...but people have made some fine things an alot more work is being done with landraces now.

OldCoolSativa

Soo now let’s also remember Nevils males came from Sams , Soo how can we downplay Original Haze in any way

Because the Haze A and C males Nevil grew out came from different seed stock than OHaze. This is the quote that Nevil made, directed to you, BigHerb, and it's the key to the whole thing:

post#83 in MNS Grail thread said:
I remember the Catalogue of Seeds
It was in a High Times.
You raise some interesting questions Bigherb, but not ones that I can answer. My guess is that Sam got these seeds from an old Master. One thing I am convinced of is that these seeds were part of his working gene bank and were irreplaceable. He was reluctant to sell.
I also clearly remember that the first 6 plants came from batches dated prior to 1970.
As I said before, the plants were hybrids. By all means, see if you can get to the bottom of this. I have given my testemony.
N.

Bigherb's post is three posts up in that thread. I believe Nevil was truthful in this reply. Sam sold Nevil seeds that were irreplaceable. These were not the same stock as what he calls Original Haze. They were made by a master. The fact that the Haze C male produced sexually stable progeny exhibiting Thai traits demonstrates breeding mastery. Until someone proves otherwise, I conclude that the 1969 seed batch came from a Brotherhood of Eternal Love breeding project that was based on the best bagseed that BOEL surfers found around the world in the mid-late 1960s. The weed scene didn't begin when Nevil met Sam; there were lots of dope-smoking hippie surfers in California 20 years earlier and BOEL was not only importing hash and weed, they were vertically integrating their operation and producing domestically. They were world travelers, smart, often graduates of the UC system which was ag centric at that time. Endless Summer was filmed in 1965, two years before the summer of love. BOEL member Mike Hynson was toking behind the camera during that film as they surfed their way around Africa. These dudes were bringing seeds home from the best ganja on Earth. BOEL was known for a lot of things, including California origins, excursions on the hippie hash trail in Asia, and use or pseudonyms and fake passports. Sam grew up in southern California, toured the hippie hash trail in 1971, and has always chosen to use pseudonyms. It's pretty clear to me that if he wasn't part of BOEL outright, he had BOEL connections and that's where the seeds came from that he reluctantly sold to Nevil when he was financially destitute.

Only Sam knows where those seeds came from. He has chosen not to tell us, and the true story will die with him.

Last edited:

TheDarkStorm

.haze-c comes from the more columbian side....sam says his starting stock came from the guys he refers to as the haze brothers...I believe him.

OldCoolSativa

Maybe "haze brothers" is his way of obfuscating "Brothers of Eternal Love". And Nevil opined that Haze A was more Colombian while Haze C was more Thai.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent

Thank you for your contribution. :tiphat:

You a London brick
Very tempting, I'll buy one but only if it's the same brick you bought off Sam when you took his word as the holy truth.

I like to take Nevil's and Sam's word with a grain of salt.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
It’s always funny to watch history repeat itself and these threads certainly bring back memories of past haze debates. I had the pleasure of growing some ‘haze’ this past year.

THH...seeds from around 8 or more years ago.

picture.php

picture.php

Came down a week or two early because of botrytis. Very speedy. No corporal. All in the head. My buddy said...‘I wasn’t really stoned but after I smoked some THH I just stood in front of the speakers dancing non stop’

Old Timers x Meao Thai (green)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Still early at 5 weeks cure. She is a great representation of a souped up green OTH. Heady rocket fuel out of the gate and then just completely positive vibrations. Playing music is amplified enjoyment.

TheDarkStorm

I think your rembering that wrong..the first female was closest in type to wat began the line then haze-a..the haze-c seemed to branch of into a Columbian direction...an the more modern version...haze-a has the darker liver type scent reminiscent of the old thais...it was that nevils was trying to bring back out in the haze in a higher percentage in his Neville's haze by uniting it to a specific thai.

Status
Not open for further replies.