What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Freakshow (fern leaf strain) by shapeshifter/humboldt seed company

djonkoman

Veteran
interesting, going on those numbers it sounds like a pretty simple situation with regards to inheritance then. because that sounds a lot like the ratios you'd expect if it's just 1 recessive gene(15-20% in f2 is close to 1:3, 40% in f1bc1 is close to 1:1).
and then those f2's with only slightly altered leaves could be either heterozygotes expressing the trait very slightly, or maybe in some cases it is homozygous freakshow-leaf but some other gene hides the expression or something like that(incomplete penetrance).

rolandomota

Veteran
Yea but if you use the wrong plants the ones without the recessive Gene you will still get zero freaks in f2 you need to use many males and females.
The 7 east genetics guy grew 3k plants to get 12 Freakshow type in his f2 ..... maybe some Freakshow from a previous crop of f2 Freakshow turned up in his f2 experiment cross unless he used new soil it's totally possible
I'm thinking he just didn't use the right combination with both plants having the strange leaf Gene it's just a theory I guess time will tell but it's totally possible for f2 it won't be stable true breeding until f3 f4 of course this is all speculation

djonkoman

Veteran
why would you need many plants?

as long as 1 parent is a freakshow leaf plant, every single f1 plant will carry it, so you don't need many plants at all, any random f1 will do.
and if it is indeed just 1 single recessive gene, you just need 4 f2 plants to find 1 freakshow leaf.

ofcourse if you'd cross a heterozygous freakshow leaf carrier with a normal leaf(non-carrier) again it would become a crapshoot, but as long as there is one homozygous parent in the original cross you just need 1 f1 plant and 4 f2 plants. and after that it(=leaf trait) will be stable.

unless it's not simply inherited as a single gene recessive ofcourse.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
interesting, going on those numbers it sounds like a pretty simple situation with regards to inheritance then. because that sounds a lot like the ratios you'd expect if it's just 1 recessive gene(15-20% in f2 is close to 1:3, 40% in f1bc1 is close to 1:1).
and then those f2's with only slightly altered leaves could be either heterozygotes expressing the trait very slightly, or maybe in some cases it is homozygous freakshow-leaf but some other gene hides the expression or something like that(incomplete penetrance).

I believe the expected ratios of Freakshow leaves in those crosses are;
25% for F2s (Aa x Aa = 25% AA, 50% Aa, and 25% aa)
50% for back-cross (Aa x aa = 50% Aa, 50% aa)

Yea but if you use the wrong plants the ones without the recessive Gene you will still get zero freaks in f2 you need to use many males and females.
The 7 east genetics guy grew 3k plants to get 12 Freakshow type in his f2 ..... maybe some Freakshow from a previous crop of f2 Freakshow turned up in his f2 experiment cross unless he used new soil it's totally possible
I'm thinking he just didn't use the right combination with both plants having the strange leaf Gene it's just a theory I guess time will tell but it's totally possible for f2 it won't be stable true breeding until f3 f4 of course this is all speculation

Unless they got some super early release from Shapeshifter well over a year ago, I find it hard to believe they got to F9 generation from seeds in 10 months, which is what they're selling (F9 Freakshow seeds).

djonkoman

Veteran
I believe the expected ratios of Freakshow leaves in those crosses are;
25% for F2s (Aa x Aa = 25% AA, 50% Aa, and 25% aa)
50% for back-cross (Aa x aa = 50% Aa, 50% aa)
yes exactly, the way I wrote the ratios I meant the same(1:3=for each plant showing freakshow leaf, aa, 3 normal leaved ones, which are 2Aa+1AA)
so I think those ratios you found are pretty similar to the expected ratios for a single gene recessive. not exactly the same, but that could easily just be statistical variation. or there might be a genetic factor blocking expression in a few cases(incomplete penetrance) also leading to slightly lower ratio then expected.

rolandomota

Veteran
Because in a f1 not all plants inheret the leaf Gene and if you want it pure from the original packs they are now starting to sell this year's seeds so far USA only from what I saw at DC seed exchange just give it a bit time and soon it will available again everywhere the funny thing is the fems fly and regs sit for a bit that's strange if you ask me but I'm always trying to make seeds while others I guess clone or I don't know people are strange especially if they see you smoke brick weed the "breeders" transform in to trolls fucking assholes you know who you are shit heads

djonkoman

Veteran
Because in a f1 not all plants inheret the leaf Gene
why would that be according to you?

if one parent is homozygous for a gene, the f1 is always a carrier(i.e. heterozygous) for it. every single f1 plant.
the only situation where not every f1 inherits the leaf gene is if the f1 is not a cross between freakshow and something else, but the parent used is already heterozygous, like (freakshow x something) f1 x something.
but if the cross is freakshow x something, every single f1 plant will be a carrier.

and that's not just for a single gene situation, even if the leaf trait is determined by multiple genes working together it still aplies that every single f1 is a carrier of all those genes. you'll just find a lower ratio in the f2 that express it if it's about multiple genes.

BillFarthing

Veteran
why would that be according to you?

if one parent is homozygous for a gene, the f1 is always a carrier(i.e. heterozygous) for it. every single f1 plant.
the only situation where not every f1 inherits the leaf gene is if the f1 is not a cross between freakshow and something else, but the parent used is already heterozygous, like (freakshow x something) f1 x something.
but if the cross is freakshow x something, every single f1 plant will be a carrier.

and that's not just for a single gene situation, even if the leaf trait is determined by multiple genes working together it still aplies that every single f1 is a carrier of all those genes. you'll just find a lower ratio in the f2 that express it if it's about multiple genes.

My background is fertilizer not genetics, so apologies if this is way off base. Is this the case with autoflowering genes too?

Amynamous

My background is fertilizer not genetics, so apologies if this is way off base. Is this the case with autoflowering genes too?

Non-typical leaf types as well as autoflowering are all recessive characteristics. Breeding for these traits require taking to F2 or backcrossing to the recessive to obtain those traits. If you are trying to breed for multiple recessive traits at the same time, you will need to go through a lot of plants in the second generation. :yummy:

rolandomota

Veteran
Because you say lol it's just my opinion
Do people always Carry recessive genes for eye color? That's what I'm basing my theory on anyway I'm done here everyone laters I don't like to argue about nothing what matters is I have these genetics and will breed with them further

djonkoman

Veteran
Because you say lol it's just my opinion
Do people always Carry recessive genes for eye color? That's what I'm basing my theory on anyway I'm done here everyone laters I don't like to argue about nothing what matters is I have these genetics and will breed with them further

sorry, I don't want an argument either, but I do want to get the facts right, since better understanding can help you with breeding. we're all dealing with limited number of plants, so I think it really helps to know how you can minimise the number of plants while still getting where you want to go.

wether a random human carries something is different from every plant within a specific f1. humans are like polyhybrids, so 2 carriers meeting is more random chance. in this case, if the leaftrait is recessive, every plant expressing the leaftrait will breed true, since the carriers(=Aa) will look just like normal plants. only the homozygotes(=aa) you see. so it does not have an A to pass on, only a.
the f1 will get half of it's dna from either parent. since the plant expressing the recessive trait can only pass on the recessive version of the gene(a), each single f1 plant will always have it. it will just be hidden by what it gets from the other parent, so you need to make an f2 to reveal those recessive traits again. but which f1 plants you choose to make the f2 does not matter, they are all carriers.
but in the f2 is where numbers really count, for one recessive gene 4 plants, for 2 recessive genes 16 plants, and so on.

Thesearch

I'm not talking about a freakshow f2 I'm talking about the freakshow x rare dankness #1 outcross. seeds for freakshow were released in december and by march or something they claimed to have a fern leaf *stabilized* freakshow x rare dankness #1 outcross which would have required them to have brought that outcross to an f4 or several generation backcross, it would seem. Something doesnt add up.

G

In an early comment by 7east on IG they labelled a bunch of freakshow structured plants as an F1 (rare dankness X freakshow) I don't believe they had a stabilised freakshow pheno at F1... I believe it's just to try come across as doing something original instead of selling someone else's work. (This was well before the 3k seed hunt image)

rolandomota

Veteran
Either way I ain't buying any 7 east I don't need to but if something is bx 4 like Freakshow that's at least five generations already if you start at f1 I didn't bother asking the guy why it's f9 but I'm sure he will answer

rolandomota

Veteran
Supa freak 5050 sat ind more yield more thc different smell taste same leaf pattern faster flower Freakshow is 90 10 sat ind lower thc longer flower different terps lower yield
I'm definitely getting that supafreak

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Freakshow

Freakshow

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Fitzera

Buddy of mine, 7east freakshow, a few weeks back with a banana hammock to the left front
picture.php

picture.php

Male out in the cold
picture.php

Same male after spending the night in -2 C
picture.php

Last edited: