What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Australian (ABC), Duck Web & Reindeer Syrup

Miasa Mura

I’ve talked to older guys that say that it was very potent herb and some younger guys that don’t have the best to say about it.

What ever the reason is for the latest smoke reports being less than stellar, I gotta say that it’s god damn refreshing to see a breeder display some humility these days!

Thank you for that amigo.

I’ve seen you mention “a mistake” you made in a post before. When you were offered seeds by a member you replied that those seeds more than likely came after the mistake was made. I think about this quite a bit. Trying to imagine exactly what that mistake might have been.

Breeding potent cannabis isn’t easy. When the goal includes that a recessive trait expresses in 100% of the offspring.... it becomes much more difficult.

Ive had discussions with some that believe it’s impossible to breed for both potency and recessive leaf traits, because the quality of smoke must always take a back seat to a recessive leaf mutation, as far as selections go. One having nothing to do with the other, there will always be a compromise. I think for the most part, they may be right.

Of course with mutant lines like ABC, where the quality is possibly as low as it gets, there is massive room for improvement. So for now, thats a mutant line that can possibly be bred for both potency and that recessive leaf trait. “Improved” if you will.

More than your mistake, it’s likely the countless mistakes made in all those single pack/single plant reproductions that followed your original release that are most to blame for its new reputation, this is more than likely the fate of all mutant lines that are reproduced from small populations.

I’m gonna keep on wondering exactly what your mistake was. So don’t tell me! It’s how I like to spend my time!lol
:tiphat:

I totally agree! I think populations are too small (due to stupid prohibition!) and potency is generally sacrificed to ensure the recessive leaf trait is carried over into the next generation.

I do think that if something is in breed enough and populations are larger for genetic selection, potency and morphology can both be stabilized in the breed.... just taking a lot of space, time and resources.(I am all about this :) )

Crossing the Duck Web with the Reindeer Syrup to get a variegated, webbed leaf with albino flowers sporting pink pistils.

The Australian Cannabis has so much potential! I am in love with how large the calyxs are and am breeding it to create the largest calyx vareity with a Venom OG clone and some Humboldt OG seeds. The Australian also has an extremely high Calyx to leaf ratio making it a “no trim” strain. Both the Humboldt OG and Australian have fairly I ate leafs, so I am also breeding that in the mix. :biggrin:

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Miasa Mura- I’ll be happily following your projects.

I believe that nearly all can be overcome with large population size, careful selection and time.

There is so much that can be learned about inheritance from these kind of projects.

I know that hyb crossed ducksfoot to ABC. I believe he found no intermediates. The plants segregated normally and either looked like one or the other. What that shows, I’m not exactly sure.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I’ve talked to older guys that say that it was very potent herb and some younger guys that don’t have the best to say about it.

What ever the reason is for the latest smoke reports being less than stellar, I gotta say that it’s god damn refreshing to see a breeder display some humility these days!

I’ve seen you mention “a mistake” you made in a post before. When you were offered seeds by a member you replied that those seeds more than likely came after the mistake was made. I think about this quite a bit. Trying to imagine exactly what that mistake might have been.

Breeding potent cannabis isn’t easy. When the goal includes that a recessive trait expresses in 100% of the offspring.... it becomes much more difficult.

Ive had discussions with some that believe it’s impossible to breed for both potency and recessive leaf traits, because the quality of smoke must always take a back seat to a recessive leaf mutation, as far as selections go. One having nothing to do with the other, there will always be a compromise. I think for the most part, they may be right.

Of course with mutant lines like ABC, where the quality is possibly as low as it gets, there is massive room for improvement. So for now, thats a mutant line that can possibly be bred for both potency and that recessive leaf trait. “Improved” if you will.

More than your mistake, it’s likely the countless mistakes made in all those single pack/single plant reproductions that followed your original release that are most to blame for its new reputation, this is more than likely the fate of all mutant lines that are reproduced from small populations.

I’m gonna keep on wondering exactly what your mistake was. So don’t tell me! It’s how I like to spend my time!lol
always welcome resin lung,
true it wasnt easy to lock down both traits ,
the stuff i started with had both webbed leaf and typical cannabis leaf ,
but as i said i think with better knowlege than i possessed at the time and the ability to go back to the original seed also ,
i think i could have done better ,
a buddy that was holding the original seed , i had asked to be sure he kept them as they were very important ,
but he gave them away , i couldnt believe it ... lol ..

Was the wedded indica known as strawberry web? It was a fairly popular strain on the big island in the 80s and early 90s.
I didn't mean to dismiss the quality of ducksfoot. It just wasn't the soaring high i was looking for. It was much more balanced. It could also be a product of the very rainy environment it was vrown in also. I grew it 25 years ago when Green Harvesr was flying heavily so it wasn't exactly in the wide open.
it didnt really come with a name , just web ,
i swapped some of my ducksfoot for the hawaiin stuff ,
it seemed what one was lacking , the other had ,
until i grew it i had no idea it would be an indica ,

seems to be some interesting or was some interesting stuff in Hawaii ,,

it was from the Puna area ...

It could be, I just remember the plant I grew out 15 years ago wasn’t too potent. I’m still super excited to give it another go and smoke hella bowls of some Duck Web :) Thank you for your work reproducing the ducksfoot! Potent or not, I love having this plant in my yard!!
most certainly the later ones i grew lacked potency , and the delicious taste ,

the cross with ducksfoot and webbed indica smelt like petroleum ,
theres a report somewhere on my forum from a guy who grew some and hated the smell ,
but i know many that would have loved it ,
the odor was so strong it made me nauseous pruning it ,
it was like fumes , not just an odor ...

ive always pondered what the variety with the typical cannabis leaf that was crossed with the webbed stuff was , cause it was darn good ...

CannaZen

I think that just leaf and floral structure maybe i mean they're large plants but really narrow branches. just the energy storage leaf efficiency i mean. small autoflowers much resinous and they're dwarf plants.

Farma

The best ABC iv seen and grown used to come out of Dorrigo, it was red and fairly potent, it just always had a nasty metallic taste to it if that's even a way to describe it, the smell was there but not the flavor.

Those fingerlimes are like super lemon caviar inside. What a treat... And the ducksfoots a stealthy girl. Very easy to miss next to a few kale plants.

Those fingerlimes are like super lemon caviar inside. What a treat... And the ducksfoots a stealthy girl. Very easy to miss next to a few kale plants.

at risk of sounding like a broken record, hijacking this thread or an advertisement for australian finger limes this will be my last post about them but whats most interesting about them to me is the amount of variety found in them like unique oils not found in other citrus trees which can be unique to each variety, aswell as some having black, green, yellow and red skin with the possibility of having red colored pulp too. They sure do interest me and i think i'll have a few trees one day to see which varieties are the best.

kamyo

Veteran
Somewhat off-topic, but I'm always amazed by Australia. The plant/animal biology, and moreso its contributions to cannabis. Not just in terms of things like ABC or Ducksfoot, but the people behind it. All of our friends here at IC, past and present, from OZ are pretty amazing. It's a who's who list of undeniable contributions and sacrifices.

We can only hope that soon your legal atmosphere will begin to change.

Miasa Mura

Miasa Mura- I’ll be happily following your projects.

I believe that nearly all can be overcome with large population size, careful selection and time.

There is so much that can be learned about inheritance from these kind of projects.

I know that hyb crossed ducksfoot to ABC. I believe he found no intermediates. The plants segregated normally and either looked like one or the other. What that shows, I’m not exactly sure.

Thank you for your support! :)

Miasa Mura

always welcome resin lung,
true it wasnt easy to lock down both traits ,
the stuff i started with had both webbed leaf and typical cannabis leaf ,
but as i said i think with better knowlege than i possessed at the time and the ability to go back to the original seed also ,
i think i could have done better ,
a buddy that was holding the original seed , i had asked to be sure he kept them as they were very important ,
but he gave them away , i couldnt believe it ... lol ..

it didnt really come with a name , just web ,
i swapped some of my ducksfoot for the hawaiin stuff ,
it seemed what one was lacking , the other had ,
until i grew it i had no idea it would be an indica ,

seems to be some interesting or was some interesting stuff in Hawaii ,,

it was from the Puna area ...

most certainly the later ones i grew lacked potency , and the delicious taste ,

the cross with ducksfoot and webbed indica smelt like petroleum ,
theres a report somewhere on my forum from a guy who grew some and hated the smell ,
but i know many that would have loved it ,
the odor was so strong it made me nauseous pruning it ,
it was like fumes , not just an odor ...

ive always pondered what the variety with the typical cannabis leaf that was crossed with the webbed stuff was , cause it was darn good ...

That sounds like some intense aromas and I’m guessing I’d like ‘em. Super excited to smoke it up at the end of this cycle :)

Miasa Mura

The best ABC iv seen and grown used to come out of Dorrigo, it was red and fairly potent, it just always had a nasty metallic taste to it if that's even a way to describe it, the smell was there but not the flavor.

Thank you for your insight! I’m excited to experience what the look, smell, flavor, and effects of this might specimen are :)

Miasa Mura

at risk of sounding like a broken record, hijacking this thread or an advertisement for australian finger limes this will be my last post about them but whats most interesting about them to me is the amount of variety found in them like unique oils not found in other citrus trees which can be unique to each variety, aswell as some having black, green, yellow and red skin with the possibility of having red colored pulp too. They sure do interest me and i think i'll have a few trees one day to see which varieties are the best.

All good, I’ve been super interested in the Australian finger limes too! They’re near the top of my things to try list :biggrin:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
All good, I’ve been super interested in the Australian finger limes too! They’re near the top of my things to try list :biggrin:
dam slow growing girls though ,
i might put some more in ,
so far no fruit and a long wait to see much growth ,
but eventually i guess ,
that caviar looking inside looks worth waiting for ...

Miasa Mura

Australian

Australian

I’ve started taking more detailed notes on varieties and thought I’d share the measurements of the Australian.

09/11/2019:
9 inches tall.
Petiole is 1 & 1/2 inches to 2 inches from main stem.
First set of secondary branches 1 & 1/4 inches long
Fan leaf length 1 & 3/4 inches
Fan leaf width 2 inches to 2 & 1/4 inches.
Secondary branches are 2 inches apart.

Attachments

• C7C4E078-3329-41F1-944C-CD38FCC73C4A.jpg
    C7C4E078-3329-41F1-944C-CD38FCC73C4A.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 27

Miasa Mura

Duck Web

Duck Web

Some stats for the Duck Web:
09/11/2019:
Petioles 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch from main stem as well as secondary branches.
Fan leaf width 1 & 3/4 inches.
Fan leaf length 3 & 5/8 inches.
Length of secondary branches 1 & 1/2 feet.
Space between branches 2 inches apart.

Attachments

• 135A652E-DF98-43AC-893E-E53E73442611.jpg
    135A652E-DF98-43AC-893E-E53E73442611.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 27

Miasa Mura

I’m going to be popping a few ABC seeds as well.

View Image

Miasa- When did your ABC seedling actually break ground?

:jawdrop: That’s super awesome! That is some selection right there :) I germinated my seeds on August 10 and sprouted above ground August 14. Some seeds didn’t germinate at all so I dried those out and will be re-germinating them soon. Best of luck with your ABC project, I know I’m absolutely in love with this variety :biggrin:

CannaZen

if that were the case hybritech's abc subterfuge wouldn't be so resinous, the guy may had more than a decade of breeding but today the resin is 7-6 percent its sticky on the hands shortly after rubbing the flowers. Not that your inaccurate but i dont believe that makes it impossible it just means one has to grow more & mix more into the blend to bring potency up. Not really sure if it is in the leaf energy management/efficiencies and plant size. I think there's still some wiggle room to squeeze out different variations, I'm hoping i can bring potency up further still and i dont think the fact that the trait is recessive makes for bottleneck so much as vegetative energy storage/management. I want to crossbreed them with squat compact large leaved plants, if they can have thick compact structure maybe the leafset wouldn't be so small. Some of the ABC leaflets are quite large but they sort of hit apex and the overall plant volume took precedence over stem and leaf sizes. Autoflower is recessive you have to take it to f3 and people have bred them to be %20-25 resin, they're quite small plants but the overall plant vegetative energy management/efficiency is so well off that it produces a proportionate amount of resin per volume.

Plant counts are bottleneck, Would love to see giant abc leaflets on squat compact plants I'm Definitely keeping them in the garden, resin percentages tend to fractionally divide not so unlike frequency where the resonance of energy produces slightly more resin that generation on that one particular plant and is transfer to seed. So small squat/dwarf plants can produce competitive resin quantities per bud/volume to large plants. I'm going to try to grow a cross between subterfuge #1 abc with a very bulky, the most bulkiest short squat compact plant with large fanleaves. I've seen plants like these i know they exist in photoperiod form no more than 12 inches tall with the thickest compactest branch brackets you'd ever seen. If such a cross were to be made it may be possible to get larger leafsets than common abc. The subterfuce are fairly large plants, several feet tall & wide and giant thick taproots but small leafsets. I think its entirely possible to cross for squat compact plants with large BLD ABC leafsets I want to try for this I dont think its impossible.

So Its like new age alternate cannabis so exotic the closest comparison is Kush and indian sativa, the plants grow so large proportionately quite large plants for the skinny/small leafset structures if only it were to conserve its energy the leafset may be larger resulting in more resinous plants a decade from now. Im just trying to explain i believe theres still a lot of breeding room.

Last edited: