What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Has anyone used Optic Foliar Transport as an adjuvant?
I really like the product for other foliar sprays.
I emailed the company and they said to only use quarter strength STS when using Transport.
I have yucca I could use instead, but OF said never to use transport and yucca in same Solution.
what's your thoughts?
​​​​​

Cloneman

Veteran
I'm just over 3 weeks, 2 weeks in the main tent and now under a T5, hopefully will finish.
A Sowahh male in front nearly ready

fetch

fetch

fetch

These are Jaffa Delight (suffered from mites). the others Sowahh, Headbanger and Guerrilla Fume not in pics are taking longer.

Wish me luck on pollen.....

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Finally got a chance to make my stock solutions! Gonna reverse the PurpAl. Got a few of her in the 2x2. I'm gonna grab an air filter to put on the exhaust so the pollen doesn't escape
IMG_20210509_115829800.jpg

Cvh

Supermod
Finally got a chance to make my stock solutions! Gonna reverse the PurpAl. Got a few of her in the 2x2. I'm gonna grab an air filter to put on the exhaust so the pollen doesn't escape

Best of luck, go for it!

G

Anyone have good results from a single spray application. I've been tweaking it and that's my next goal.

weedeasy

Hey guys it has been a long time. I started spraying a female with STS 21 days ago and pollen sacks began forming around 10 days after the 3rd and final spraying.
I use the method of 5 days before, spray on the flip and 5 days later. The strange thing is, that pistils have began coming out in between the immature pollen sacs. This plant was supposed to have only pollen sacs to pollinate a female.
Has anyone ever observed this? Should I spray it again?

20210619_144022.jpg

Amynamous

Hey guys it has been a long time. I started spraying a female with STS 21 days ago and pollen sacks began forming around 10 days after the 3rd and final spraying.
I use the method of 5 days before, spray on the flip and 5 days later. The strange thing is, that pistils have began coming out in between the immature pollen sacs. This plant was supposed to have only pollen sacs to pollinate a female.
Has anyone ever observed this? Should I spray it again?

Every plant is different and may require a stronger concentration or a different spray schedule. TonyGreen ran a thread where he experimented with different concentrations and spray schedules. It’s a good read.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...cience/378133-tony-s-silver-thiosulfate-notes

That being said, i believe it’s not uncommon for some strains to continue producing pistils even though it is also producing pollen due to STS.
I also believe that too much STS can render pollen as sterile. I have had that happen to me. Many recommend that one stop spraying after seeing the first pollen sac.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
As long as fully mature balls are forming, I'd say your application rate is just fine. :) As for pistils forming, you definitely want to use the females which are the most difficult to reverse. Religiously stress testing the females before reversing is rather important, and I'm hoping it's being remembered. :) That being said...

Great Balls of Fire!
There's a lot of awesome in this thread, thanks so much to all of you for contributing.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
No luck on reversing my PurpAl.
I started on may 21st and flipped 5 days later and applied every 5 since.

Lol . I probably willed it into not working, but in the back of my head I was thinking it was going to be hard because I hear everyone say that the harder the plant is to herm, the harder it is to reverse.
I've tortured her a plethora of ways and I've never seen a pollen sacs, so I think she's a good candidate. 😂
IMG_20210623_155314471.jpg
IMG_20210623_155252835.jpg

Douglas.Curtis

Rock on!! That's a keeper for sure :)
So... recommendation to increase the silver ratio? I doubt increasing the spray frequency would help, since it should still take the same time as other strains to remove the silver. Increasing the silver ratio will put a harder bite on ethylene production. :)

Douglas.Curtis

I've been thinking a 'visual' goal for success should be male flowers with some intermixed pistils, since a tiny bit of ethylene is needed for a few pistils and for viable pollen. Has anyone had reversals with a few pistils and ended up with sterile pollen anyway? I'm wiling to be wrong, but will be greatly surprised if there are any yes answers to that question. :)

gorilla ganja

I have. But with autoflowers. So some pistils will always form before the reversal starts to work.
Also may have been my collection/storage of the pollen.
Great thread by the way. I have to go back and reread. Lots of good information.

Peace GG

Douglas.Curtis

Ha! :) Good one. lol Let me rephrase the question... :)

Has anyone had a reversal where pistils continued to grow alongside the male flowers (not just the first ones before reversal), yet still ended up with sterile pollen?

Douglas.Curtis

So you are saying both male and female flowers forming at the same time?
Yes, ideally mostly balls with a few pistils. Zero ethylene produces sterile pollen, and my thinking is a few regularly forming pistils should be a great indicator enough ethylene is present for viable pollen.

GoatCheese

Veteran
No luck on reversing my PurpAl.
I started on may 21st and flipped 5 days later and applied every 5 since.

Lol . I probably willed it into not working, but in the back of my head I was thinking it was going to be hard because I hear everyone say that the harder the plant is to herm, the harder it is to reverse.
I've tortured her a plethora of ways and I've never seen a pollen sacs, so I think she's a good candidate. 😂

Have you tried higher STS levels like Tony Green used? .. he used much more potent STS solution than the recipe on the opening page. Tony wrote down his method few pages ago in this thread and has a thread about his STS experiments. He posted a link to it few pages ago.

I have also a very sex stable CBD plant and i was thinking i need to look into stronger STS spray to reverse her but i still haven’t tried making fem seeds with her or any other plant, but i’m having a go fairly soon.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd

Have you tried higher STS levels like Tony Green used? .. he used much more potent STS solution than the recipe on the opening page. Tony wrote down his method few pages ago in this thread and has a thread about his STS experiments. He posted a link to it few pages ago.

I have also a very sex stable CBD plant and i was thinking i need to look into stronger STS spray to reverse her but i still haven’t tried making fem seeds with her or any other plant, but i’m having a go fairly soon.

I haven't used another solution yet.
I'll mix up a stronger batch, and try again.
I'll also try this batch on another cultivar and see how that works out.

Douglas.Curtis

Good stuff :) I'm interested in seeing what strength solution does the job on "keeper" genetics, vs the "make S1's and grow out thousands to find the non-hermie prone keepers" genetics most growers get to play with. ;)

G

If the silver stock 'part B' solution has a little silver precipitate at the bottom of the jar is it no longer useful? Or should there still be enough in solution? Cheers