What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have had whole plants burst in balls after carefully treating a single bud/branch. I'm moving away from a pump spray to a qtip. See it that helps.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Or has anybody happen to have done a reversal experiment or has a report where STS was poured at the roots of a plant in soil or added into a Hydro/DWC setup?
This is a great question!

I've heard a few reports of colloidal silver tainted soil making fems the next crop. My main concern would be the reaction between the nutrients and the STS.

Please someone test STS at multiple strengths in soil... with multiples of the same clones :)

Cvh

Supermod
This is a great question!

I've heard a few reports of colloidal silver tainted soil making fems the next crop. My main concern would be the reaction between the nutrients and the STS.

Please someone test STS at multiple strengths in soil... with multiples of the same clones :)

It might react with the available copper I think, see the quote below. Maybe it will react with other elements too, I have no idea. It would be great if we could find some info about it.

But It wouldn't be proof yet then if STS has a systemic working. I have already spent many hours searching for an answer to the question that STS is systemic or not. But I can't seem to find any info about it.

I hope one day to find the time and resources to do some testing in soil. But I have already many other projects planned and onhold. It won't be this year, I'm not even sure if there is even room for next year. :( It's on my list.

STS: Silver thiosulfate, a salt compound used in photography. In plants, silver interferes with, or locks out, copper, which is a necessary micronutrient. Making copper unavailable inteferes with ethylene signaling, and reduces expression of traits that are dependent on high levels of ethylene, such as female sex expression and fruit ripening.

Copper: a micronutrient that is necessary to assist certain enzymes in their function. Copper can become toxic at low levels, but a few parts per billion is adequate for plants to express their genetic potential. Because copper is needed at such low levels, it does not take much silver to overwhelm the available copper load and exert its effect.

Ethylene: One of the 5 plant hormones. The levels and ratios of these 5 hormones has a huge impact on the shape, strucutre, aroma, flavor, flowering time, and disease resistance of the plant. Hormones are the chemical messengers that allow DNA to 'talk' to plant tissues and determine the phenotype. Ethylene is primarily involved in flowering, sex determination, fruit ripening, and sensescence (rot). Ethylene is a simple organic molecule, C2 H4, which can also be represented as H2C=CH2.
In cannabis, female plants will produce male flowers if not enough ethylene is present, or if too much gibberellic acid is present. The intersex condition is due to a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Some plants will not turn male under the most extreme stress, and some plants, especially stretchy tropical sativas, will turn with no stress at all.

Douglas.Curtis

In my experience, an amazing number of molecules are 'systemic' when they contact cannabis.

I would imagine the results would have a lot to do with transpiration rates. A high transpiration rate would quickly bring the silver to all parts of the plant, while a slow transpiration rate would affect the bottom of the plant and growing tips more?

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]STS: Silver thiosulfate, a salt compound used in photography. In plants, silver interferes with, or locks out, copper, which is a necessary micronutrient. Making copper unavailable inteferes with ethylene signaling, and reduces expression of traits that are dependent on high levels of ethylene, such as female sex expression and fruit ripening.

Copper: a micronutrient that is necessary to assist certain enzymes in their function. Copper can become toxic at low levels, but a few parts per billion is adequate for plants to express their genetic potential. Because copper is needed at such low levels, it does not take much silver to overwhelm the available copper load and exert its effect.[
[/FONT]/quote]
Now that is really interesting. CPF's (Canadian Patrol Frigates) had a muscle problems in their coolers. The ship I was on provided "copper protection" in our sea bays (impressed current galvanic action that sterilized the "guest" preventing them from multiplying in out coolers. 2 yrs after installation are coolers were clean as whistle so to speak.

As I'm getting ready to do an STS, I will try a soil amendment. As I'm going completely blind on this, what would you folks recommend for a ratio?

Cvh

Supermod
As I'm getting ready to do an STS, I will try a soil amendment. As I'm going completely blind on this, what would you folks recommend for a ratio?

This is uncharted terrain I think, or it's just me that seems to not find any info about it...

As D.C. also suggested, it would be interesting to see what happens when multiple clones were treated with exponentially increasing dosages a gallon of soil.

For example:
(A gallon of soil)

Case #0: 0 ml (Control)
Case #1: 1 ml
Case #2: 2 ml
Case #3: 5 ml
Case #4: 10 ml
Case #5: 20 ml
Case #6: 50 ml
Case #7: 100 ml
Case #8: 250 ml
Case #9: 500 ml
Case #10: 1000 ml

Cvh

Supermod
For anyone that is interested in finding more information about using Silver Thiosulfate to induce female flowers on Cannabis. I suggest you start with the work from H.Y. Mohan Ram.

(Also of interest are his other published works by using gibberellin and cobalt ions.)

I belief it was his work that was published in 1982 that served as the base for R.C.Clarke (and also Sam The Skunkman) to perform their reversal experiments in the 80's.

Authors: H.Y.Mohan Ram, R.Sett
DOI: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00275107

December 1982, Volume 62, Issue 4, pp 369–375
Induction of fertile male flowers in genetically female Cannabis sativa plants by silver nitrate and silver thiosulphate anionic complex

(Shoot me a PM if you don't manage to get the full version or need help getting past a paywall.)

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
This is uncharted terrain I think, or it's just me that seems to not find any info about it...

As D.C. also suggested, it would be interesting to see what happens when multiple clones were treated with exponentially increasing dosages a gallon of soil.

For example:
(A gallon of soil)

Case #0: 0 ml (Control)
Case #1: 1 ml
Case #2: 2 ml
Case #3: 5 ml
Case #4: 10 ml
Case #5: 20 ml
Case #6: 50 ml
Case #7: 100 ml
Case #8: 250 ml
Case #9: 500 ml
Case #10: 1000 ml
I like DC but at times I think he is off his meds LOL. 1l/gal of soil?

An educated "guestimate" using known variables would be 3-5ml per gallon. If someone is willing to play mad scientist then by all means. I know I can't :(

Douglas.Curtis

My suggestion was to use it in soil in varying amounts, the measurements listed are purely a theoretical example proposed by CVH. ;) Appreciate the support.

Douglas.Curtis

How would I go about it? A completely different way. However, I'm very curious as to what others come up with while I experiment a little. Should I find anything interesting I'll be sure to report it. :)

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I read somewhere to avoid the root zone. I have a few seedlings to spare. I'll try it and report back.

edit: Actually, I have a 3 month old male. I'll use it on that to see if I can get a bowl out of it. :)

Cvh

Supermod
I read somewhere to avoid the root zone. I have a few seedlings to spare. I'll try it and report back.

edit: Actually, I have a 3 month old male. I'll use it on that to see if I can get a bowl out of it. :)

Excellent news! :)

Just as a sidenote, I haven't done testings for myself, but STS isn't supposed to trigger sex expression reversal in male Cannabis plants. To trigger male to female flower sex expression in Cannabis requires the addition of ethylene, and not ethylene blockers.

Sam The Skunkman has created a great thread about the subject:

Male clones transformed to Female to judge male smoking qualities
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99597

Nonetheless, it would be very interesting to see how the plant reaction will be when you do this experiment. I would really like to read your report about your observations. Who knows, maybe it may even make female flowers.

May I ask what dosage and application frequency you are thinking of using for your experiment?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Excellent news! :)

Just as a sidenote, I haven't done testings for myself, but STS isn't supposed to trigger sex expression reversal in male Cannabis plants. To trigger male to female flower sex expression in Cannabis requires the addition of ethylene, and not ethylene blockers.

Sam The Skunkman has created a great thread about the subject:

Male clones transformed to Female to judge male smoking qualities
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99597

Nonetheless, it would be very interesting to see how the plant reaction will be when you do this experiment. I would really like to read your report about your observations. Who knows, maybe it may even make female flowers.

May I ask what dosage and application frequency you are thinking of using for your experiment?
Not quite sure what the dosage will be yet. I have to think about this. I was thinking the same dosage I use on females. I have a jug of it so... lol (about one liter of each)

Once it's combined and diluted, I can probably get 45 gallons. Any suggestions?

Cvh

Supermod
Not quite sure what the dosage will be yet. I have to think about this. I was thinking the same dosage I use on females. I have a jug of it so... lol (about one liter of each)

Once it's combined and diluted, I can probably get 45 gallons. Any suggestions?

It's really uncharted terrain I belief.

A few ml's a gallon a soil sounds very little, but on the other hand as I observed in my current first experiments and you already know/experienced very well, it requires only a very little amount of apical applied STS on the correct moment to 'reverse' a female plant.
(I'll do a report about my other 'Single drop STS' experiment in a few days to a couple of weeks when the first F>M flowers dehiscence their pollen.)

So, for my input to your question: :dunno:

PS: I really wasn't kidding about using up to a liter to a gallon of soil. It's a test to known the reaction of the plant. Will it kill it, or show any deficiencies, or...?

Latest posts

Latest posts