What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

Cvh

Supermod
:woohoo:
I need to order so I can try this with my PurpAl plant.

Don't order to much. For example, with 10 gram silver nitrate you can already make 200 liter (!) of working STS solution (in combination with Sodium Thiosulfate). The 0.5 gram recipe written about by D.C produces 10 liter.
And you only need to lightly spray a couple of times. A few drops a couple of times might already be enough actually.

I'm doing also a side project were I applied only a single (big) drop, I'll report about it if it's successful.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I ordered this (both are crystals)

Ebay - Silver Nitrate-50g-over 99.8% purity
$60 (I should have bought 25gr for $23.75)
Note: 50g is $44 now
s-l500.jpg

and this

Ebay - 100% SODIUM THIOSULFATE Pentahydrate 4 oz ounce Package Hypo Na2O3S2
$12.53
s-l500.png

I have enough to supply ICMag breeders for at least a year. Probably 5 years.
Seriously. I bought way way too much.

I suggest you buy the smallest amount available.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I ordered this (both are crystals)

Ebay - Silver Nitrate-50g-over 99.8% purity
$60 (I should have bought 25gr for $23.75)
Note: 50g is $44 now
View Image

and this

Ebay - 100% SODIUM THIOSULFATE Pentahydrate 4 oz ounce Package Hypo Na2O3S2
$12.53
View Image

I have enough to supply ICMag breeders for at least a year. Probably 5 years.
Seriously. I bought way way too much.

I suggest you buy the smallest amount available.

Thanks for the links. I'll try to get the least as possible and then share it, with the only other grower I know.

He recently tried to do colloidal silver. Without much luck- I'm guessing because never heard anything else about. He was excited about the prospect, so I'm sure he would've showed he/she/it.

Cvh

Supermod
Update:

Hi all, a quick update about my first experiment with STS to make S1 feminized seeds using only a single female plant.

Today I could confirm that fertilization successfully happened and also that seed formation has started.

Strain: Power Plant
Current date: 02/06/2019
Start from seed: 10/04/2019 (broke the surface of the soil on this day)
12/12: 24/04/2019
STS (every 5-7 days): start from 04/05/2019 until 18/05/2019 (the branch shown in the picture posted below, other branches received different treatments).

Remarks: Today 02/06/2019 confirmation of fertilization and seed formation.

Seed formation evidence:

(Dissected calyx from the main stalk (preflower). The inside of the dissected calyx contained an embryonic seed.)

picture.php

Pollination/fertilization evidence:

(Receding and discoloring pistils because of successfull pollination.)

picture.php

Reversed branch:

(Top part of one of the successfull female to male reversed branches. This branch holds 'male' flower clusters which contain viable feminized pollen.)

picture.php

Cheers.

:)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Awesome :D

You'd be surprised how much sodium thiosulfate and silver nitrate gets purchased daily. Seriously... ;)

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Im going to try reversing females this season with colloidal silver. I purchased some pure silver wire off ebay awhile ago to try it with using a 12v phone charger. Seems simple enough, ill post updates/pics here when I start to show it also.

Douglas.Curtis

Im going to try reversing females this season with colloidal silver. I purchased some pure silver wire off ebay awhile ago to try it with using a 12v phone charger. Seems simple enough, ill post updates/pics here when I start to show it also.
Careful it really is pure silver, since some jewelry silver is not pure enough. Looking forward to seeing your results. :D

Douglas.Curtis

I was under the impression the contaminate metals also affected plants. I guess it would depend on the contaminate and content %.

Cvh

Supermod
I'm curious about the necessity of pure silver. I've read that for reversing plants, sterling at 92%(approx) is more than sufficient. The only time pure silver is required is for those who choose to drink colloidal silver.

I've got some sterling wire and just waiting for a clone to root so I can experiment, so I guess I'll see for myself.:biggrin:

I messed around with G3 before, but not happy with the results. I managed to get both girls I treated to show male flowers, but apparently stopped spraying too early as both reverted. The stretch from G3 is absolutely comical. One Sweet Skunk grew almost 3 feet with only one node. The second plant I was prepared and started shaping it aggressively. I was well into the second full 360 degree loop when I terminated the experiment.

Good thread. :yes:

Do you happen to have a picture of that stretching? I'm curious to see it.

Cvh

Supermod
Does anybody have some info or personal experience that if STS was applied locally that it can be traversed around a plant? Does STS gets taking in and can it be moved around?

I'm having only localized effects. And I'm also having great success with a side experiment where I successfully reversed a female flower cluster to express 'male' flowers by applying only a single (big) drop of STS once (which I'll report about later).

For me personally this shows that very little STS applied locally is -in some cases- enough to reverse an application site.

But if STS can be moved around by a plant, then I belief I should have seen reversal signs in other areas as well after I heavily and frequently sprayed certain areas, when a single drop was already enough in my experiments. But I did not witness this.

But I have read other reports that people have experienced full plant reversal by spraying only a single area. But I'm not sure that in these reports there were the necessary precautions taken to protect other areas from the STS mist that gets created by spraying.

Or has anybody happen to have done a reversal experiment or has a report where STS was poured at the roots of a plant in soil or added into a Hydro/DWC setup?

(My apologies for my poor English skills, I'm non-English).