What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Thanks for this DC. I needed more than a cursory knowledge.

I used STS this year on two seed crops. STS because I couldn't get out there every day. 2 sprayings and a Swazi plant exploded with pollen from top to bottom. My Original Glue (Nirvana's) shrugged it off like rain water. Nada. lol. Not one pollen sac.

Some strains need more than just the odd misting.

I have a small $45 2x3x5 tent at home with 2 LSD-25 Autos. I'll spray the small one with STS a couple times before I leave for 3 weeks to Central and South America. I've timed it so that the 1st spraying will happen 2 weeks before I leave and the day I leave. With a little luck, she'll pop and the small fan in the tent will spread the money shot.

picture.php

picture.php

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I found Some more information/history about manipulating ethylene in plants, figured someone would appreciate.

I found a university research paper pdf on manipulating sexual expression in hemp dated February 27th 1978 from Copernicus University in Poland. It does not use Rodelization, stress or silver soloution though to supress ethylene production.

Link to pdf
https://pbsociety.org.pl/journals/index.php/asbp/article/view/asbp.1978.013/0

I also learned how long ago ethylene supression with silver was discovered as well.

"Ethylene oxide was first reported in 1859 by the French chemist Charles-Adolphe Wurtz, who prepared it by treating 2-chloroethanol with potassium hydroxide:

and discovered the ability of ethylene oxide to react with acids and salts of metals. Wurtz mistakenly assumed that ethylene oxide has the properties of an organic base. This misconception persisted until 1896 when Georg Bredig found that ethylene oxide is not an electrolyte. That it differed from other ethers — particularly by its propensity to engage in addition reactions, which are typical of unsaturated compounds — had long been a matter of debate. The heterocyclic triangular structure of ethylene oxide was proposed by 1868 or earlier.

Wurtz's 1859 synthesis long remained the only method of preparing ethylene oxide, despite numerous attempts, including by Wurtz himself, to produce ethylene oxide directly from ethylene.

Only in 1931 did French chemist Theodore Lefort develop a method of direct oxidation of ethylene in the presence of silver catalyst. Since 1940, almost all industrial production of ethylene oxide has relied on this process.

When I was a young man, I used to work in the wholesale food industry. We had huge tomato and banana rooms that we used to gas with ethylene to kick off the ripening process. Tomatoes were picked green and would just sit there and wait for the gas. The bananas were gassed with thiabendazole (as are citrus fruits) to arrest ripening at the plantation before they were shipped. Ethylene would kickstart it. BTW, Ethylene is liquid and we'd pour a little bottle in a chamber that heated it (I think) to disperse it.
premium-bananas-ualiti-thiabendazole-and-or-imazalul-applied-for-preservation-of-34770970.png

I plant to expose regular seeds to it for this year's crop with the hope of increasing the % of females.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I plant to expose regular seeds to it for this year's crop with the hope of increasing the % of females.

It will probably make some of the male plants in the group express as females, but they will still be xy males (and probably revert at some point). Ive seen alot of claims about how to get more females from regular seeds but honestly I think gender is most likely determined at fertilization (random).

I worked in produce retail/wholesale a good deal as well tycho haha.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The gassing the seeds is an interesting thought, but Ibechillin is correct. It's the formation of flowers without ethylene which produces the female flowers. I'm pretty sure the effects will not last through flower, and I would expect some balls peeking out from under the skirt. :)

Douglas.Curtis

As far as I'm aware, the only reason femmed pollen is femmed, is specifically because it isn't an xy pair. As long as the male genetics are present, the possibility for male plants will be there.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Male plants start xy, parts of plant treated with ethylene/ethephon express female parts but is still male and donates y chromosome in crosses.

Female plants start xx, by treating with STS/Colloidal Silver parts of plant will express male parts but is still female and donates x chromosome in crosses.

Douglas.Curtis

I think the ratios may be off.
Data since the 1980's says the ratios are perfectly fine. I have no interest in commercial products, this works extremely well. You'll find most commercial products (regardless of the industry) use the absolute minimum for 'most' people to get good results. I can see how finding the minimum for your commercial facility would save cash, but the savings would be minimal over the resources used on a failed pollen run. Given the minimal costs involved already, I don't see it being something worth chasing.

Thank you for posting the other information though, someone may find it useful. I'm sure someone will take the time to further refine this and the other methods in the future. We can look forward to finer measurements, as well as additional information for specific strains.

Ty. :tiphat:

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Thanks for the recipie. What I wanna know is have you done experiments with how often/many times you spray the plant to be reversed ? I've read as little as spraying twice will reverse a plant. I ask, because I read one of the pro's of using STS is only having to spray a couple times, versus spraying every day for two weeks , like with CS.

Douglas.Curtis

Thanks for the recipe. What I wanna know is have you done experiments with how often/many times you spray the plant to be reversed ? I've read as little as spraying twice will reverse a plant. I ask, because I read one of the pro's of using STS is only having to spray a couple times, versus spraying every day for two weeks , like with CS.
I've worked with spraying every 5 days for everything so far. There are probably a lot of strains which will work just fine with 2 sprays, you would have to work with your specific genetics to prevent disappointment. I know spraying every 5 days will achieve full reversal in the majority of genetics.

I read through many sources where this method was discussed, and the alternate spray methods I found are listed. I would think the plants which show full reversal, and then have difficulty dropping pollen, may do better with a lesser frequency of sprays. I believe excessive silver may be the issue. I really don't know for sure though. :)

Douglas.Curtis

I sprayed twice 2 weeks apart. Swazi whet full blown pollen blizzard, GG4 didn't even blink. I was pissed. lol
Yeah, personally I'd much rather have to dry and grind some pods, vs. not getting pollen at all. I recommend the every 5 day to start with and work backwards from there. I figure it gives the highest chances of getting pollen the first go around. :D