What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
one the most important things I,ve noticed with using reversed plants , let them fully mature before using . I've been using some of mine when say 40% of the flowers have opened and it produces low numbers of seeds , a male at 40% flowers would make hundreds seeds .

fast forward to fully mature reversed plant, using the pollen produced 100,s seeds .

perhaps this is why some people say there reversed female was,nt viable and did,nt create seed . then went in too early .....you do hear that alot .

I,m basing this on reversing 40 + plants also , not just one or two .

bit of an observation I,ve made anyway , if it might help someone
Yup. Huge plant exploded with pollen empty sacs. No seeds. lol

Wait for a good flower before you spray. And easy does it on the spray. Seriously easy. To the point that you think it's not enough.

Having said that, know your strain. I had a couple GG4s last year that just wouldn't turn. At all. May as well have been spraying rocks.

djonkoman

Veteran
I do not. a few times I've saved pollen for some weeks when the timing was off, but mostly I just plan the reversal so it's ready when I need it. I also prefer to pollinate with a live plant(carefully slip a plastic bag over the male or reversed female, then enter the branch to be pollinated into the bag from underneath, keep my hand closed around both stems+opening of the bag, and knock it around with my other hand). I have pollinated with a brush too, but I find using a live plant more convenient.

mostly I use reversal for selfing(since selfing is imo a better, faster way to stabilise and go towards more homozygosity than F-generations), so the reversed pollen is only worthwhile while that plant is alive. and I grow outdoor only, so I don't save cuttings, I overwinter seeds, I only take cuttings from my outdoor plants so I can reverse the cutting and self a few buds of the outdoorplant with it. so next season the pollen I created is basically worthless to me, since using it instead of creating a new reversed clone would result in a backcross, not a selfing.

but I also like to keep small plants where I use such a small dose on only some nodes that they only form a few balls, so the little plant(sometimes a cutting, sometimes from seed) can pollinate itself, and I don't even need a 2nd one to self. that's mostly usefull when I just need an extra generation for stuff like duckfoot leaves to express, since that way I can't really see a lot of traits, so can't do a good selection. but I'm limited by a plant count(netherlands), so by doing small plants like that I can also do an extra generation in winter in the windowsill, or go over the plantcount but only with a few of those tiny plants, because no one notices a tiny plant like that(the plant in the picture earlier is a plant like that, I hope to have it finished and gone before my outdoorseason really starts).

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I can see where you're coming from djonkoman, everyone has a goal. :)

I thought I'd lost Tsue, and my first thoughts always go to the jar of femmed pollen I have from her in my freezer. :) Fortunately she's revegging, so I should be able to make more in the future.

I guess I'm a pack-rat. I can't stand the thought of finding out I have an amazing donor plant for pollen... years after I've tossed the pollen and the plant. :)

djonkoman

Veteran
ok, I think I'll need to eat my hat for a moment.

seems like that plant I posted earlier will need a do-over. I'm still convinced one minimal treatment should be enough if timed right, but this plant doesn't prove that.

what I think happened is that because I topped at the same time as aplying, and I aplied just as the first flowers came in, it was delayed a bit too much. by now the sts has worn off, but I think the male flowers weren't mature enough before the sts wore off, since they don't behave like ordinary male flowers should, instead they started splitting open like bananas, with no visible pollen(and I don't see pistils shriveling, so I guess no invisible pollen either). also they started opening earlier(looking at size/looks) than they should, so kind of the opposite of the effects of too much sts, where they look like perfect mature male flowers but won't open on their own and eventually just fall off unopened.

I think, but still have to prove, that if I aplied 1 week later, and didn't top at the same time, it would've worked. but I don't have proof to back up those thoughts.

so if you want to be sure you'll get pollen the classic 2 treatments with 1-2 weeks in between is still the best option, even if that means the first wave of male flowers are unusable and it takes a bit more time to have good pollen. but personally I like the experiment, so I'll continuee with trying to get the timing just right to do it with 1 low dose treatment.

Douglas.Curtis

Interesting, appreciate you sharing.

This next run I'll be spraying every 7 days, and quitting as soon as more than a few flowers have formed. I pick off the first early-opening flowers, until there will be 20-30 opening that day.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I started as soon as I saw the first hairs. Maybe I should have sprayed sooner with a softer concentration. The plant gave me tons of pollen, but I really only wanted one branch to blow up. Not the whole plant. I will get a few seed out of it because a few buds weren't affected. I hope there are a few seeds under all those pollen sacs.

LSD-25 Autos.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

Gorgeous :) I really prefer to make and store the pollen, then do seeding on a different run. We all have our personal variables in life. :)

djonkoman

Veteran
another update on my little reversed plant, turned out I called failure too quickly.

while the most visible highest balls split open before being fully developed, there were some good balls hiding underneath on a lower node I also treated.
eventually these opened, had visible fertile pollen, and the plant is fully pollinated now. with only those 6-8 drops of sts-solution aplied on 2 consecutive days when flower started.

NEED 4 SEED

another update on my little reversed plant, turned out I called failure too quickly.

while the most visible highest balls split open before being fully developed, there were some good balls hiding underneath on a lower node I also treated.
eventually these opened, had visible fertile pollen, and the plant is fully pollinated now. with only those 6-8 drops of sts-solution aplied on 2 consecutive days when flower started.

pics, please...

djonkoman

Veteran
I think there's not really much to see, just a pollinated plant kept in suboptimal conditions(but that's what I do when I just want some seeds), but here you go

whole plant
XoaMsRD.jpg
looking at it I think it's revegging, it's just in a windowsill so that's possible with the increasing daylengths. but it doesn't really matter, it'll continue forming the seeds.

here you can see some of the remaining balls, most have already fallen off(but there weren't that many balls to begin with, but plenty for enough pollen to pollinate itself)
6U9AKG6.jpg

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Douglas.Curtis,
Have you ever transformed a male to female? You can smoke the transformed Male to Female, no problems.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99597&highlight=males+transformed+female

I like how you mentioned the importace of stress-testing a female clone before using her as parent, or to be transformed to a pollen source, if you do not you will get many more intersex progeny, if done correctly you seldom if ever see intersex progeny in all female seeds.

To avoid burning the leaves, only spray the areas where the sexual parts will form, that is what we did.

-SamS

Last edited:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I dont think smoking plants treated with silver solution is very safe, but I remember from your reversed males thread you mentioned ethephon is harmless and can be used to reverse males and smoke the flowers afterwards.