What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hashplants

browntrout

Veteran
Nepal x PCK x OTH #3 F3. I've been working on this outdoors @ 45N for a little under a decade, this selection is a very balanced Nepal x PCK hybrid, there's not a lot of haze in this one. It should be done in about 2 more weeks

I'm having a hard time uploading decent quality pictures on the new icmag but I think I have it dialed in this year.

That’s a cool project! There’s only so many phenos to work with for 45N, ask me how I know lol.

browntrout

Veteran
Yes, you have some cool projects too. This is fast and early enough, I worry if I try and make it earlier that it could fall to mold.

It was a terrible year here recently on the east coast, I have GG2 hybrids finishing from end of august until early October. Not many of the hybrids could escape it. Bug damage and rust along with humidity, rain and dew has caused major mold problems for most of us here. Plus an early frost on top of that. Mother Nature is a real dick at times. Typically end of august/early September finishers are ideal and almost guaranteed most years here. At least I will be able to see what’s best.

burningfire

Veteran
It was a terrible year here recently on the east coast, I have GG2 hybrids finishing from end of august until early October. Not many of the hybrids could escape it. Bug damage and rust along with humidity, rain and dew has caused major mold problems for most of us here. Plus an early frost on top of that. Mother Nature is a real dick at times. Typically end of august/early September finishers are ideal and almost guaranteed most years here. At least I will be able to see what’s best.

Yeah, this one starts flowering early august and it's ready early october. Last year I harvested it on the 12th and that was a mistake, the aroma wasn't as complex, the head wasn't as interesting either, still a strong happy buzz but with a sleepy finish I didn't care for, at least compared to an earlier harvest it wasn't to my preference.

I topped this year's plant so much that the structure is a little crazy and a branch ripped from a storm but I tied it back up.. it's a little behind and not as photogenic but it'll still make decent hash.

So this year I will harvest it on the 3rd or 5th.. I usually go by aroma, I have never found that trichomes were an indicator of harvest window.

Like I said, It's early and fast enough for me, I'm not going to work on it to make it earlier, I have plans to cross an ethiopian to it to make getting a little more character out of it and a little stretch in the buds. I'm happy with the structure though. Whether or not that will still make it viable outdoors is anyone's guess.. at least to select a plant with enough ethiopian characteristics.

One of the un-topped plants last year.

Click image for larger version  Name:	full.jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.6 KB ID:	17947225

Last edited:

browntrout

Veteran
Yeah, this one starts flowering early august and it's ready early october. Last year I harvested it on the 12th and that was a mistake, the aroma wasn't as complex, the head wasn't as interesting either, still a strong happy buzz but with a sleepy finish I didn't care for, at least compared to an earlier harvest it wasn't to my preference.

I topped this year's plant so much that the structure is a little crazy and a branch ripped from a storm but I tied it back up.. it's a little behind and not as photogenic but it'll still make decent hash.

So this year I will harvest it on the 3rd or 5th.. I usually go by aroma, I have never found that trichomes were an indicator of harvest window.

Like I said, It's early and fast enough for me, I'm not going to work on it to make it earlier, I have plans to cross an ethiopian to it to make getting a little more character out of it and a little stretch in the buds. I'm happy with the structure though. Whether or not that will still make it viable outdoors is anyone's guess.. at least to select a plant with enough ethiopian characteristics.

One of the un-topped plants last year.

That’s a wonderful structure, you can see the PCK influence. They also appear quite resinous compared to the parental strains. Also an early trigger like that is a beautiful thing for us northern growers and a pretty rare trait. Nice work man. And definitely on the aroma thing, some plants get muted in the colder temperatures while others continue to develop smell wise. If the aromas are developing strongly i like to wait until the buds tricks are in the swelling stage, certainly makes a difference in dried appearance/weight. But often mold and frost have other intentions for me here.

burningfire

Veteran
That’s a wonderful structure, you can see the PCK influence. They also appear quite resinous compared to the parental strains. Also an early trigger like that is a beautiful thing for us northern growers and a pretty rare trait. Nice work man. And definitely on the aroma thing, some plants get muted in the colder temperatures while others continue to develop smell wise. If the aromas are developing strongly i like to wait until the buds tricks are in the swelling stage, certainly makes a difference in dried appearance/weight. But often mold and frost have other intentions for me here.
This one has strong musky, peppery base, I joke that it smells like a wet dog in early flowering. It's not piney enough to smell of pepper but the caryophyllene content is way high. The citrus scents will come and go but closer to harvest it will start developing warmer and funkier scents, some plants in the past even had a rusty/metallic edge to them.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I waited too long last year, it lost a lot of complexity in the scent, it only got spicier, like an onion. Two years back when I harvested earlier, vaping the bud filled the room with notes of sage and oranges. I will try and run in indoors this winter if I can get my setup going and maybe have it re-tested

BC*Dankster*

So today is a sad day. Here in BC @ 49 degrees parallel , we have been getting hit with crazy heavy rain storms the last couple weeks. I had to harvest the larger buds today, which look a week- ten days early on one girl. The rest , I am not sure if they stand a chance. They are covered with a large canopy, but the humidity reaches 95% here. Not much I can do... Bodhi OLD SCHOOL HP is the strain.

Attachments

• photo2074758.jpg
    photo2074758.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 44
  • photo2074759.jpg
    photo2074759.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 50
  • photo2074760.jpg
    photo2074760.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 48
  • photo2074761.jpg
    photo2074761.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 48
  • photo2074762.jpg
    photo2074762.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 56

therevverend

Veteran
So today is a sad day. Here in BC @ 49 degrees parallel , we have been getting hit with crazy heavy rain storms the last couple weeks. I had to harvest the larger buds today, which look a week- ten days early on one girl. The rest , I am not sure if they stand a chance. They are covered with a large canopy, but the humidity reaches 95% here. Not much I can do... Bodhi OLD SCHOOL HP is the strain.
Those same storms have been hitting here in western Washington. A lot of broken branches and a few broken stalks but so far the mold hasn't gotten bad. I expect that to change in the next day or two. I was able to take a couple plants down but most of my stuff is still out there. Two things have saved me, one is that the wind has been blowing hard. This means lots of broken waterlogged branches but it also means the plants have been drying out quickly when the rain stops. Before the weather warms up to optimum mold temperature. Mold loves temperatures above 64 degrees F/18 degrees C, below that it takes a bit longer for it to spread like wildfire. Because of the dry summer the plants have been sucking up the water like crazy so the environment hasn't reached the saturation point. My plants were bone dry before the storms hit.

The other thing that's helped is that the storms haven't stuck around for a long time. A couple of days and they've blown off somewhere else, allowing the plants to recover. Buds saturated for a week rot very quickly. I feel bad for the BC growers, the somewhere else the rain has gone is up north to Canada. I've been very lucky that the storms have been blowing south to north instead of west to east, they've been bouncing off the Olympic Mountains up to Vancouver Island and BC instead of piling up against the Cascades. It's a bad situation but it could be much worse.

Here's some storm damage shots. A little green stretchy tape and the plants in these pictures are back to nearly 100%. Either harvested or have big colas swelling and covered in resin.

IMG_20210918_155609_619.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210918_155609_619.jpg
    IMG_20210918_155609_619.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20210918_160136_492.jpg
    IMG_20210918_160136_492.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 37

therevverend

Veteran
The Afghan hashplants are doing great. The only problem is that some of them are very slow to flower. Especially the Maruf Kandahar black and red. The red is the slowest one, barely flowering. The Zanjeer Zabol is the fastest to flower and the Marpan Zabol is second fastest. The Zanjeer has looser colas, it's a true hashplant with a higher leaf to calyx ratio and a wonderful light coating of frosty resin. Obviously grown for resin extraction instead of ganja buds. Here's what she looks like.

IMG_20210920_070630_867.jpg

Or at least she should be the first attachments. I'll post some flower closeups soon. The Maruf Black and red are stunners, beautiful plants with classic wide leaf profiles. All the Afghans are lovely but the Marufs are special. They're starting to show color change. I'm surprised how true they are to their breeding. The red is really turning red. The black has shown black highlights all along and the buds are blackberry purple colored. I assumed the way Afghan farmers breed, allowing multiple males to have their way with multiple females, the genetics would be a mashup. Here's the short pheno of the Maruf red.

IMG_20210919_160546_213.jpg

And a baby bud forming. I'll have to make another post to show pictures of the black.

IMG_20210919_160546_300.jpg

therevverend

Veteran
Here's the big Maruf Black.

IMG_20210922_173812_883.jpg

Here's the forming bud. The smells are great. The Red has a wonderful cherry hash smell, very fine. The blacks have more variation. The super bushy medium tall one smells like gasoline, like taking a whiff straight out of the pump. Never smelled anything that strong. The other ones of more of a lemon balm and curry type smell. Cumin, Coriander seed, a bit of chinese 5 spice. A lot going on and it could develop into anything as the plants mature.

IMG_20210922_173812_927.jpg

BC*Dankster*

Nice Photos Rev. Im glad that the storms haven't given you the bud mold that I have been dealing with lately. Those plants look great, especially the Zanjeer Zabol! I wish you a bountiful harvest brother ! Looking forward to seeing some close up bud shots Rev.

...CR500AF...

Therevverend that is just gorgeous, i have said this before but i just cant get enough of the outdoor shots nicely done...:)

Star crash got some wind did you, hope you got everything back in order...:)

therevverend

Veteran
I can't complain too much, compared to the east coast I've had it easy. I hope Crash and the other east coast growers catch a break in October.

I've got two other phenos of the Black Maruf besides the giant scary beast. There's a short bushy type that's not really short any more. All the Marufs have stretched and bushed out like crazy in September. By late August it looked like all but the giant black would end up less then 7 feet. Now they're all over 6 feet and only the two short bushy types are below 7 feet. But the Black isn't small, it's ridiculously bushy. It's got a crazy leafy growth pattern. Here's a look at her.

IMG_20210904_170757_118.jpg

Keep in mind this was from a few weeks back, she's gotten much bushier and is flowering very quickly. Already getting sticky. She smells similar to the giant pheno. Tantalizing curry flavor. The buds are smelling different but I can't tell if they're going to go lemon, gassy, spicy, or a mix at this point.

The gas can Black Maruf looks like The Primordial Hashplant. Something out of the Jurassic Epoch of hash making. It has similarities to Deep Chunk and also Hammerhead's Flashbang which was a very interesting hashplant last year. The branches grow exremely upright, vertical to the stalk and run along the stalk. I ended up staking the main limbs out to the sides because it was impossible for light to penetrate into the plant. She's very late to flower and so far hasn't shown much. Very small bud sites compared to the size of the plant. I expect her to fill in but I'm worried she'll mold. It's going to be interesting what she does the rest of the way. You can see how I've trained her with the stakes and ties. I cut them because of the rain, didn't want the plant falling over and breaking the limbs off in the process.

IMG_20210904_171535_173.jpg

p59teitel

018620C8-BE22-464C-AFBF-4A84C0A30C08.jpeg
The two fastest Tirah are well out in front of the others. This one has seen zero rot or issues so far - she was topped by some critter back in June so no main cola, but is still over 12 feet. Grape/cherry jam smell. Basically has a lollipop structure with plump flowers at the branch ends and not even a lot of popcorn on her interior. Liking this pheno best -

D0404120-DC7E-400A-8888-4C8F599FB1C9.jpeg

Attachments

• 018620C8-BE22-464C-AFBF-4A84C0A30C08.jpeg
    018620C8-BE22-464C-AFBF-4A84C0A30C08.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 44

p59teitel

The other faster blooming Tirah is showing susceptibility to rot and I clipped her top cola yesterday after spotting the telltale browning leaf, so now she is back under 15 feet lol. The good thing about her is that she has a very open structure so it is fairly easy to detect trouble before it gets out of hand. This one is gassy and funky -

0AE2B5AB-85D8-470B-ADE2-DB528AE86B18.jpeg
D0B84204-DF6E-4D54-A262-D1BF45F0AD98.jpeg

p59teitel

And finally, my Hawaiian Hashbud X Balkhi awaits a few more cold nights to crank up the resin before chop. She has moderately thick flowers and has shown moderate susceptibility to rot, similar to her Balkhi mother, so she demands close attention. Hey, you have to fight to earn your crop around here. She looks small compared to the Tirah but still hit 8 feet, double the height of her mother - not sure if that’s the father’s influence, the crazy hot June that saw explosive growth on all the plants, or maybe I’m just getting better at this. Has a creamy lime citrus smell - this one and some of the Tirah that I like best will be jarred and cured, while the rest will be dried and then dry-sifted, because NFW do I have enough jars for all this flower and I love hash anyway, so no problemo for me -

Click image for larger version  Name:	05DA20B0-45D2-4738-BF3B-2E1320264347.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	151.5 KB ID:	17955253
Click image for larger version  Name:	03E6C4A6-DEB8-4F57-B73F-15996904C00A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	92.9 KB ID:	17955254