What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hashplants

burningfire

Veteran
that BBHP is faster than I expected, impressive yields for such an early date, I guess it's not all good news considering the mold issue.. I get a little auto envy sometimes when the weather in september is trash, we had a horrible week of 14C highs and grey skies with 3 days of 0 to 2C nights but the plant just doesn't care.

She's getting there, sometimes I wish she was a little faster but I wouldn't want to mess with her since she's fast enough.. the difference is that I spent the last 8 years selecting plants for outdoors, I've been meaning to get an indoor setup but chances are slim that I'll actually pull through.

picture.php

browntrout

Veteran
No doubt, Hurricane Teddy doing a number on my girls. And before that, -3 to -4 frosts right to the core, but they came back just to be hit by this shit.

Think I’ll do more work with the hashplant if I can. I find myself always banking on later stuff In hopes of a good year and it usually just get fuckt royally. So 50% BB hashplant next year.

Maybe a couple A5 Haze x hashplant just to see.

RED 1

Ah fuck that sucks brown trout I can see it in your bud. By the time you can see it, it's too late. Marbles it's way up the middle of the stem. The worst thing about grey mold is that it attacks the biggest frostiest colas the worst. In that situation I take the big nugs early and leave the smaller stuff to fully develop. I'll take the losses on the minis just to have some properly matured smoke.

elchischas has an interesting hashplant, it's got that mighty mite mini structure. Thin leaves for an Afghan, I've seen that in some short branchless phenos. Short plants that aren't autos trip me out, seeing a plant go long season without getting big and bushy.

Another interesting type are the short Lebanese plants, the pink and magenta hairs. Axle's is a good example. There's been a growing interest in 'Lebanese Red' the last couple years along with seed offerings from various sources. 'Lebanese red' is a type of hashish that was common in the 1970s and 80s, not necessarily a strain. I've seen many pictures of red Lebanese hashish, here's a good example from Cannabis Culture's strains of yesteryear.

View Image

As to why it's that color, the simplest answer is that dirt in the region it's grown in is red. As the plants mature and become sticky the red dirt sticks to them. This red soil is called 'terra rosa' and is found primarily in regions with a Mediterranean climate. Check out this picture I found on Sensi seeds website.

View Image

While the soil is red the plants are a normal green color. Of course as they mature their hairs and leaves will turn color but it's not the reason the hashish is red. To confuse things there's a history of fine Lebanese hashplant strains that are purple, yellow, and/or red and that have pink, magenta, and red hairs but that's not the same as the Lebanese red hashish. Seed companies promote their lines by calling them Lebanese red but who's to say whether it's the same or different from the strains that grew the famous red hashish. I've heard mixed reviews of the red hash, some batches were marvelous and some were mediocre. It turns up in coffee shops in Amsterdam to this day.

'Terra Rosa' soil is found in many famous wine growing regions, including the Bekka Valley. Here's a link to the wiki article about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_rossa_(soil)

and a link to an article about soils and wine growing in Lebanon.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/terroirs-lebanon-masterpiece-soils-unexpected-joseph-moukarzel

Like everyone else on the west coast my garden has been smogged in with smoke since last week. It's horrible. Nothing good has come of it. I've been dealing with stalk rot all summer. Every year I deal with it but this year is by far the worst. The wet cool weather in May, June, and half of July was the culprit along with the slugs that thrive under those conditions and seem to spread it. Last week the last of the moisture had dried up, the plants were thriving from all the sun and the stem rot was dead or dying. Then Oregon started to burn. Much of their smoke got sucked out to the Pacific, where it swirled around for a bit and then got funneled straight into my garden and my lungs.

The result is that the temperature has dropped ten degrees F with the sun blotted out of the sky. The humidity has shot up again and with no UV radiation penetrating the smoke cloud to kill the boytritis spores the mold has sprung back into action. We've had a bit of rain, not enough to clear the smoke but enough to moisten things up. At least it washed off the ash which was getting nasty along with the smoke smell. The worst part is I know that there'd be bright sunshine and temperatures in the high 70s F/above 24 C if the smoke wasn't here. Instead it's been in the 65-72 degree range which is the boytritis sweet spot. It hasn't been devastating, I've kept it under control with rubbing alcohol but it's frustrating. Haven't found any flower rot, yet, or PM except for a spot or two on a few lower leaves.

Here's an example of the sort of damage I'm finding every morning. This is a Prayer Tower stalk, a strain I thought would have good resistance to grey mold.

View Image

The black stuff is the old dead mold I killed with rubbing alcohol, the grey stuff is new. After I took the picture I soaked it with the alcohol. It's kept in check but I'm losing a few limbs and a few others are getting slowly girdled. I haven't lost a plant yet which is good news.

Despite the smoke and stem rot the plants are going off. Frost, frost, and more frost along with wonderful smells. It's happening fast, overnight. I'm blown away, every time I look the flowers are bigger and oilier and frostier. Here's the 88G13HP, you can compare it to my pictures in my last post a week ago.

View Image

View Image

Now it's a race against time. I know it has zero resistance against bud rot and there's a bit of rain in the forecast. It's a question of how much, when, and how fast she finishes. Some rain is okay because the plants suck it up and it washes the ash off,
both the plants and the sky. Too much and it's ruination. It's going to be interesting the rest of the way.
Red Leb,Blond Moroccan hashish from the 80s,turned in my doorstep this March
Good quality hashish,when compressed as seen with "the capsule", sliced open in room temperature, will slowly expand, swell to double it's size
picture.php

Best smoke I've had this year

therevverend

Veteran
If so, which would you say is a lot stronger between the OSH and the 88G13HP? I'm in search of a strong narcotic HP.
I've grown both strains, the most potent 88g13hp phenotype was the strongest. The Old School Hashplant was strong but one of the plants gave me a headache. Not as strong as a migraine but still annoying. The trait used to be much more common in Indica types. I used to think it was from resin degradation but that's not the case. I try to avoid unpleasant Afghan types that are headache and muddy headed hangover inducing. For a strong Afghan I look for mildly trippy pain relieving types that put you to bed hard but after a long, long sleep your mind still feels a bit stoned but clear and your body feels relaxed and refreshed. More so then when I was younger, when I smoke several bowls of ganja in the evening I'm stoned for the next day or even two. Due to both my lower tolerance and THC's fat tendency to hang around in your fat instead of getting quickly cleared out by your liver.

Maha Kala's Big Sur Hollyweed looks great. I'm curious what the lineage is, I know there's different types of Big Sur Holy Weed out there. Bodhi has a strain called 'Hollyweed', I wonder if it's crossed with the Big Sur to make this strain. I like the form, it's a classic hashplant structure. A main cola on top and long branching from the bottom that is as tall as the middle of the plant. The branches extend from the main stem about half the height of the plant. The OSH for instance has this form. I've seen other varieties with this type of structure but it's one of the defining characteristics of the old school Afghans. Good to know it was improved resistance.

I'm drying out from a big storm. The smoke, wind, and rain did it's damage. In some ways I lucked out. A lot of my stuff has a long ways to go so the mold didn't strike it hard or much at all. Both last year and this year my Purple Louie has been hit hard by boytritis. In the past I've had good results because it's finished before the heavy rain. It has a good structure for quickly drying off from dew or moderate amounts of rain but the big candelabra colas don't hold out long when they get saturated by moisture. The last couple days I've been removing buds that burst into a cloud of boytritis spores when they get moved. It's a delicate procedure.

The smaller later ripening 88g13hp only had one tiny spot of boytritis on a bud. I had to rebuild quite a bit of her structure, tying up quite a few branches that had collapsed onto one side. Now she looks good, smells wonderful and hopefully she'll finish quickly. I still expect to suffer mold loss but I'm optimistic it won't be bad.

The big 88g13hp has quite a bit of grey mold, as I expected. One problem I'm noticing is that many of the flowers have an early calyx that developed before the plant started to flower. The calyxes reached maturity and turned yellow before the rest of the flowers were ripe. Any senescent plant material molds quickly so many flowers have a timed boytritis bomb planted inside them. Even so it's not as bad as it could be, the plant has decent resistance for an Afghan type and there's lots of clean flowers. The smell keeps developing, it went from hashy and sweet to strong skunky nasty hashy, now it's developing sweet fruity almost berry smells. I'm going to let it go as long as I can. The hairs still haven't changed color, hopefully the warm sunny weather will finish her. Here's how she looked right after the storm.

picture.php

And a flower from a few days ago.

picture.php

She's stacking on resin as I type, she's already frostier and fatter. Today it's going to be more storm damage repair and moldy bud removal. As things dry out I expect the dankiness to improve exponentially.

Tynehead Tom

hmmmm I wonder if stripping off those preflower calyxes before the plant actually flowers would reduce the chance of the greymold ???

just got a small pack of 88g13hp beans from a friend so will be popping those as soon as possible. No idea on how old they are, I forgot to ask LOL

djonkoman

Veteran
The big 88g13hp has quite a bit of grey mold, as I expected. One problem I'm noticing is that many of the flowers have an early calyx that developed before the plant started to flower. The calyxes reached maturity and turned yellow before the rest of the flowers were ripe. Any senescent plant material molds quickly so many flowers have a timed boytritis bomb planted inside them.
interesting to see you mention this, I have seen the same trait in some different varieties I grew, I think it's a major factor of some strains' susceptibility to rot. ofcourse there are many more factors to budrot, but the plants I've had with the worst budrot losses all had this trait. also a few that seemed to have good resistance at first, could take plenty of bad weather without developing any rot, but then it's at a certain stage of flower, those first calyxes start to senescence, and suddenly you've got budrot breaking out all over the plant.

burningfire

Veteran
I've grown both strains, the most potent 88g13hp phenotype was the strongest. The Old School Hashplant was strong but one of the plants gave me a headache. Not as strong as a migraine but still annoying. The trait used to be much more common in Indica types. I used to think it was from resin degradation but that's not the case. I try to avoid unpleasant Afghan types that are headache and muddy headed hangover inducing.

Do you smoke these plants as hash or bud? The landrace nepalese mom at the base of my cross that I grew almost a decade ago was crippling and really uncomfortable for the first smoke of the day. I am not a big smoker and I couldn't stand how heavy the bud was, if i had smoked before it wasn't as uncomfortable but still heavy.. the hash was a completely different story, it was smooth and much more balanced, the cross with the pakistan really smoothened out the experience when smoking buds.

Diskokobaja

More so then when I was younger, when I smoke several bowls of ganja in the evening I'm stoned for the next day or even two. Due to both my lower tolerance and THC's fat tendency to hang around in your fat instead of getting quickly cleared out by your liver.

Thank god I wasnt only one..I'm before bed smoker (but i smoke a lot) and I knew to get so smoked out so much, that I felt that after glow tomorrow for a half day.. LOL.. When you cant get up in the morning and you feel like train vent over you..

browntrout

Veteran
Looking good Rev, giant plants as always. I know what you mean about the Afghan headache, peak seeds NL have that to me. Does not mix with alcohol.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Sorry to hear of your issues revverend, your Hp's look bomb as always. The Ghash is one I've wanted to grow for awhile. Everyone agrees it's good medicine.

@browntrout: Peaks Nl felt fairly "clean" to me compared to a lot of indicas. I personally didn't notice any ill effects from it. How did the northern skunk campare for you?

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Maha Kala's Big Sur Hollyweed looks great. I'm curious what the lineage is, I know there's different types of Big Sur Holy Weed out there. Bodhi has a strain called 'Hollyweed', I wonder if it's crossed with the Big Sur to make this strain. I like the form, it's a classic hashplant structure. A main cola on top and long branching from the bottom that is as tall as the middle of the plant. The branches extend from the main stem about half the height of the plant. The OSH for instance has this form. I've seen other varieties with this type of structure but it's one of the defining characteristics of the old school Afghans. Good to know it was improved resistance.

hey Rev, sorry for late response.. I think genetics is mexican x afghan... bodhi´s version is more indica, as he did open pollination and first male who put out pollen was indica one, so those later males had no chance to pollinate :D but the flavors are sick, truly delicious hashy flavor, top.. effect is that kind and peaceful, like name holy suggests, it is kind of spiritual.. but yeah you are right, original big sur was just mexican, without afghan. I heard it is still in its original version somewhere in Oregon... what I got is a lot of afghan in it. I think you would love it.

Raho

Veteran
hey Rev, sorry for late response.. I think genetics is mexican x afghan... bodhi´s version is more indica, as he did open pollination and first male who put out pollen was indica one, so those later males had no chance to pollinate :D but the flavors are sick, truly delicious hashy flavor, top.. effect is that kind and peaceful, like name holy suggests, it is kind of spiritual.. but yeah you are right, original big sur was just mexican, without afghan. I heard it is still in its original version somewhere in Oregon... what I got is a lot of afghan in it. I think you would love it.

Hi Maha.
I think the "legend" on BSHW is zacatecas + colombian + afghani (in no particular order.)

Bodhi said this about his BSHB line:
Bodhi said:
These were a special gift to a well connected friend from an old grower in big sur, she gave them to me because she knew that i loved seeds, and would do them right. Can i 100% verify this is the original undiluted or unhybridized big sur holy weed line from perry the monk, no can do, but what i can say is this is unique, oldschool, mind ablaze green fire time capsule weed from the big sur mountains. Everybody that has tried this line has fallin in love with it.The plants do great indoors and out and can get quite big. It has genetically purple phenos, pink pistilled phenos, a less common sativa pheno, and loads of hybrid phenos, smells range from soggy bread to blueberry menthol, it seems to be a afghani mexican hybrid masterfully bred towards the sativa high and the indica frame. The true magic of this strain is the amazing sublime sativa high, a beautiful blast from the past. This seed run was an open pollination of 4 males and 6 females, not alot, but enough to get the job done... A small population open pollination in a tent means your going to mostly the beans made from the first two males that opened.... The super quick sativa pheno male... And the fat indica dom male...This line is called big sur holy bud to differentiate it from the big sur holy weed lines by hhf, danbo, and reeferman. Everybody that has tried this line has fallin in love with it. Im really happy to gift this back to the community. Very limited, only 30 packs, then its up to you to make more!

There was a cut from that seed run that made the rounds I think.

Reef says his BSHW seeds came "direct from Danbo."

Chimera had BSHW seeds that came from VisionCreator (bobthegrower) that were called "Trip".
Chim suggested (but held back from saying with certainty) that these were supposed to be BSHW.
He made Blueberry x Trip hybrids during his big pollination collab with DJ and released them to the market.
Those hybrids were commonly referred to as "Blue Trip."

I had a pack but they were stolen by thieves with badges before I got to run them.

RudeDog

Veteran
Don't know whether this is the right thread to post in but I have this Kushkak female from Afghan Selection. From seed and she is at 12 days of flower after 6 weeks of veg, just showing her first flowers. Going to take some cuts shortly.

picture.php

picture.php

Am unsure if this would classed be a Hashplant so feel free to let me know your opinions.

Peace

Last edited:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Hi Maha.
I think the "legend" on BSHW is zacatecas + colombian + afghani (in no particular order.)

Bodhi said this about his BSHB line:

There was a cut from that seed run that made the rounds I think.

Reef says his BSHW seeds came "direct from Danbo."

Chimera had BSHW seeds that came from VisionCreator (bobthegrower) that were called "Trip".
Chim suggested (but held back from saying with certainty) that these were supposed to be BSHW.
He made Blueberry x Trip hybrids during his big pollination collab with DJ and released them to the market.
Those hybrids were commonly referred to as "Blue Trip."

I had a pack but they were stolen by thieves with badges before I got to run them.

stupid thieves. panic thieves, panic police.. I have some F2s of that cross from Chimera, I think Reef will be back with it soon. if you want bshw cross, CSI Humboldt has some, in catalogue he has bshw x zkittles, but he told me he has bshw x durban and bshw x trainwreck too. I have coastal seeds version, Kagyu got it from some old timer from big sur.. Bodhi said it has sublime sativa high, well ehm.. I know sativas, so I dont agree :D

I believe that original bshw was only mexican x colombian, simply sativa and later indica was added.. we should not forget about Jerry Kamstra, who is originator of that name
The name BSHW was coined by Jerry Kamstra. It was pure Zacatecas Purple sativa landrace. Giant plants with all purple colas. There was one local BSHW cross called SAGE (Sativa Afghani Genetic Equilibrium I think it was) bred in that area that was an Afghani x Zac Purple hybrid. What most people have out there now and are calling BSHW is really SAGE, or some other local early cross of Zac Purple. As for who brought Zac Purple to Big Sur and when is anyone's guess. One claim is that a guy maned Danebo brought it back to Lucia. Another is that Perry the Monk got ahold of it and grew it at the local monastery. More likley it was just another strain of many loads of Mexican weed that moved through Big Sur. Someone planted some seeds of it there, and grew it locally for maybe a decade or so. In the late 60's and early 70s most local grown weed in Monterey and Santa Cruz County was from landrace bag weed seeds. Hybrids were not very common until the later 70s when skunk and other local hybrids appeared.

need4weed

Veteran
What's the general consensus on bshw that reeferman released all those years ago? In terms of legitimacy. I ran it and seeded a branch. Still have a lot of seeds although not sure of viability

Latest posts

Latest posts