What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Revival of the Ultimate Sativa Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow nachilloo that's some very nice foxtails,it makes those buds very attractive!:yummy:

Some old pictures,dried golden lao from the real seed company:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Very Nice Pepe. I had smoked sativa not long ago that that looked just like that. I was guessing it might have been asian as well but I have no way of knowing.

Here is one of those quotes I was looking for a week or two ago. A day late and a dollar short as always. But in reference to sativa phenos showing up in the middle eastern areas of hash production.

Sam Skunk:
"I don't agree but what the hell, I am pretty sure Indicas were developed from Southern China varieties in the last five hundred years, after being moved to Afghanistan, et al.
The reason I like the more Indica Indica varieties is because the Indicas are cultivated for hash, the sativas just grow wild in Afghanistan and are mostly not even used, but they do contaminate the Indicas with Sativa genes, so you often see Indica/Sativa hybrids in seeds imported from Afghanistan. A good Indica to the farmers was one that made a lot of hash, on the flowers or leaves no difference, and the wild Sativas don't make as much hash.
If you saw fields in Afghanistan in the North from the early 1970's they were much more Indica looking because Cannabis was legal and proper seed production of pure Indicas was easier to accomplish and easier to obtain.
With 30 years of war the country and the genepool have been through hell.
Anyway what you seem to think of as normal Indica, is to me a mongrel of Indica and wild Sativas, while the exaggerated ones are the real Indica blood.
And yes I have many times grew out lots of seeds from Afghanistan and found Sativa or Indica/Sativa looking plants, but I have also grown out batches of seeds directly from Afghanistan that only gave classic Indicas. But to be honest every year they seem to be worse and maybe more Sativa.
Most seeds collected the last 10-20 years were from down south Afghanistan, while the best was always up in the north by Mazar & Balkh. Cannabis is a traditional up in the north with a lot of experienced growers and hash makers, as well as seed growers."

Pollypak

Very Nice Pepe. I had smoked sativa not long ago that that looked just like that. I was guessing it might have been asian as well but I have no way of knowing.

Here is one of those quotes I was looking for a week or two ago. A day late and a dollar short as always. But in reference to sativa phenos showing up in the middle eastern areas of hash production.

Sam Skunk:
"I don't agree but what the hell, I am pretty sure Indicas were developed from Southern China varieties in the last five hundred years, after being moved to Afghanistan, et al.
The reason I like the more Indica Indica varieties is because the Indicas are cultivated for hash, the sativas just grow wild in Afghanistan and are mostly not even used, but they do contaminate the Indicas with Sativa genes, so you often see Indica/Sativa hybrids in seeds imported from Afghanistan. A good Indica to the farmers was one that made a lot of hash, on the flowers or leaves no difference, and the wild Sativas don't make as much hash.
If you saw fields in Afghanistan in the North from the early 1970's they were much more Indica looking because Cannabis was legal and proper seed production of pure Indicas was easier to accomplish and easier to obtain.
Anyway what you seem to think of as normal Indica, is to me a mongrel of Indica and wild Sativas, while the exaggerated ones are the real Indica blood.
And yes I have many times grew out lots of seeds from Afghanistan and found Sativa or Indica/Sativa looking plants, but I have also grown out batches of seeds directly from Afghanistan that only gave classic Indicas. But to be honest every year they seem to be worse and maybe more Sativa.
Most seeds collected the last 10-20 years were from down south Afghanistan, while the best was always up in the north by Mazar & Balkh. Cannabis is a traditional up in the north with a lot of experienced growers and hash makers, as well as seed growers."

I would humbly like to raise the following questions "How do the traditional growers perform their selection?" and "What is the knowledge and the methodology behind this traditional selection?". Sometimes I get the impression that we rely totally on these ancestral selection methods, which have obviously given good results over the years, but there is something slightly obscure and mystic about the methods, as opposed to the terms (scientific terms, or so-called scientific) in which we describe the techniques used for developing strains in seed companies of the developed countries.
In other words, a modern seed company that stated that they only have one strain and that they grow large numbers of plants each year, choose the best two and cross them, and then again, would be seen as unprofessional, according to modern standards.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran

Hmm, not sure I agree with that, but that's for another thread, eh ?

Irie !

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
In other words, a modern seed company that stated that they only have one strain and that they grow large numbers of plants each year, choose the best two and cross them, and then again, would be seen as unprofessional, according to modern standards.

That would be a bad practice, but that his not how they do it traditionally. As far as I know they simply take the seeds out of the best producing females. Since they were making hash I suppose that would mean the highest resin content, but of course decent sized buds would help too.

They don't seem to pull males, or runt females at all from what I've seen in pictures. You could see many male flowers sticking up amongst the field.

They certainly don't only breed a couple of top males and females. They grow plants numbering in the thousands and just take seeds out of good plants as they process them as far as I know.

So the gene pool is not stable by the standards of breeders who sell seeds for $10 a piece, but they are very diverse by comparison. But probably not so diverse it will spit out one isolated sativa pheno. More likely it is stray hemp pollen as growers in the region often complain about.

As breeders narrow the gene pool to produce plants that will all have high yields, high resin content, and all be finished within 60-80 days, they have a problem with inbreeding depression. The traditional manner of producing seeds will not have such uniform plants, but they won't have problems that stem from narrow gene pools either.

Booyah!

Very nice...any unique smells on that Brazillian Green? And have you tried any of Luis' other lines? Looks great!!

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Beautiful Brazilian Green!!!
Thanks
Ur Humbl Nr8tor :tiphat:
this braz green smokes up nicely
lucky I took the photo earlier, as I just found some botrytis in the main bud. so she is slightly less photogenic now with a chunk missing:)
BC

Yeah, botrytis is a bitch. I am always a little surprised by it in tropical and sub tropical land race type plants, but I think it is a by product of bottle necked genetics. When the draconian laws beat down on you, you breed for selected traits that, unfortunately, may include some deleterious effects like lessened resistance to mold. Any way, I've spent nights rubbing my long legged sativa flowers down with a diluted Hydrogen Peroxide solution...just to keep the mold at bay while those lovely flowers finish. Well worth it, IMHO.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well,maybe the smell and kind of high you experimented while smoking your score could help us to guess what it was...:)

Sam Skunk:

i'm no scholar so i can't really talk,but one thing seems to be sure.
" while the exaggerated ones are the real Indica blood..."
Indica are less prevalent than sativa "in the wild" ( emphasis on the "")...i mean indica are only found around the hindu kush while sativas are everywhere else(all around the world)...so we should do our best to preserve the original indicas line if it's not to late because they are just as unique as any legendary sativa (thai,colombian,jamaican...).

Saying this because from a western view,indica is prevalent and somewhat boring because to much related (inbreed) while pure sativas are extremely rare...but we should balance our opinion because any kind/strain/cultivar of cannabis could be useful and are endangered...

Sorry,it seems i'm unable to stucture my tought right now...i may come back later to clear this post if necessary:biggrin:

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lol,i forgot...here are some pictures of the afghani sativa (shebergahan from the real seed company) i culled a few days ago after 5 month of flowering:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

elchischas

Veteran
hi friends..
great pics from everyone!!
this one its a panama cross, pre hybrid from cannabiogen (panama 1974 X panama red ) hope enjoy it.

DSCN7264.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCN6328.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCN6520.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCN6668.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCN6670.jpg
[/IMG]

Homebrewer

Veteran