What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The New Chocolate Thai

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
great post xerb. from Mexico. that explains the fact Australian growers never got any choc thai in such form as Americans talk about it. not thai at all.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
great post xerb. from Mexico. that explains the fact Australian growers never got any choc thai in such form as Americans talk about it. not thai at all.

We had plenty of Thai and still do Highland and lowland Thais why post misinformation MAHA ?.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Back in the early 1980s, I had a source for a wonderful strain from Mexico called Chocolate Thai. The pounds were a dark color and the buds were moderately fat, unlike any pure Thai I have seen. It resembled a mid-grade Colombian from the 70-80s, but sold as "Thai", the smell and taste were easily recognizable as CHOCOLATE THAI. This was about the same time that big fat Buddha Sticks started showing up here as well, also from Mexico, but it was not Thai, just decent smoke. This was just another gimmick to sell buds.

I was told that it was called Thai because the mexican farmers had brought in Thai genetics trying to improve their product.
Irregardless of how it started, this was a very stable strain.
We grew the Chocolate Thai seeds we got from those pounds outdoors here in Northern California for many years.
As I remember ALL the progeny had the chocolate taste in common.
They would ripen here late October- early November. They grew 12+ feet tall with a relatively open structure like a Colombian.

XERB

all this information fits the fact that Australian growers couldn't get chocolate "thai" from Thailand. as it was produced in and imported from Mexico. great post!!! I really apreciate you share your knowledge with bro. it is exactly what I thought, that it is some hybrid of some kind, which was just sold as thai, but not pure thai at all. have great day.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I am telling you we got boat load after boat load MAHA you were not here and do you even know what chock Thai is ?. It is still being grown here and can be found .

Thai being grown in Mexico is believable but lots were grown in Cali to by people maybe not as much as here but it was there.

Chock Thai is a high land Thai sativa.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Thai in Mexico, Mexican in Afghanistan, Afghan in Colombia (and everywhere), Colombian in Jamaica, Thai in Colombia, where's the point?
(Not to mention the Vietnamese sold as Thai, Indonesian sold as kerala, Mexican sold as Hawaiian)
South Mexican Bx regular

Indoor / outdoor
Organically produced.
This strain will flourish in Southern California’s more favorable
micro-climates. It appears to have genes from Thailand and the
Southern Mexican state of Michoacan. It appears the Mexican
growers imported Thai seeds but noted that they failed to thrive
in the colder nights of the Southern Sierra Madre Occidental.
Sensibly, they crossed it with a proven regional highland variety:
Michoacan. The results have proven worthwhile and breed stable.
The plants have such an elegant asymmetrical growth form, very
much like Thai that they are worth growing as an ornamental!
The leaves and buds are totally Michoacan. It can be a
very tall plant and reaches to fill in available space. Flowering
does not commence until mid September (at 37 deg. Lat.) It will
withstand a good Summer rain and resists mold similar to Early
Skunk. It finishes in the end of November or early December.
The buds have nice crystal formation. The smoke is very up lifting.
This upbeat high is also notable in the excellent bubble hash product it produces: No burnout!

Reference SUSET MAGAZINE’S Excellent - CLIMATES OF THE WEST:
The plant will do well outdoors most years in Southern portions
of zone 16, from San Luis Obispo south. Some of Zone 19 is also
within the best micro-climates. With perfect Southwest exposure
and a strong sunset, Zone 16 from the Zones: 21, 22 ,23 and 24 are
all excellent, Especially 21 and 23. 20 is OK. It will also work in the
Gulf Coast states which are frost free until mid Dec.
It should be noted that the variety does not require large
containers. 8 foot / 2.5 meter plants can be grown in a 10 gal. with
good top dressing, and feeding, including foliar. Can go huge in 25
They will need tying up in windy areas.

The seeds are NOT FEMINIZED. Once you have it, you can breed
it. This one makes some fine crosses as well. Fine dark seeds!
As with many Mexican varieties, The males are as big as the
females; do not use extensive branching as a sexing cue -
DARKEN for 3-5 nights at 12/12 to sex then resume normal light.

For latitudes in the 30's one can start them in a greenhouse in late Aug or Sept. and they will, under natural light, finish up in end off March or April. The late Sept starts might want to break up the short nights in late Nov. through Dec. with High Perf. LED. Many 12 week plus varieties can be done like this. Might be good to do the first five weeks with one of those LED's anyway: It shortens the normally slow seedling period.

Indoor flowering 11 to 12 weeks

rolandomota

It's easier to smuggle in to Mexico and grow literally tons of it then smuggle to usa also who here buys Mexico Mota? It's extremely diverse that sexy mexi How would you know other than if you experience it yourself? I have experienced it but it was chocolate cinamon Smell with lots of sticks but no taste seeds 4 sure but I didn't label as usual it was a few too a nice size bag their in their waiting to burst in to life ...... just a thought cocoa kush or any chocolate type smell or flavor in dj short strains should be similar.

If I had cocoa kush I would breed for longer flower times and chocolate flavor the best I can do now is look for that chocolate in nuevaberry (Newberry f2)

If you can find a nice chocolate tasting one that's the flavor their pining for here

My dude stopped buying that Mexican Chocolate because of the sticks I told him yea it's sticky because it has too many sticks lol I liked it the change in terpenes was welcome but he kept getting the mango fruit mango skin and onion bricks
The sticks day a lot about the structure of the living plant and yes it was good but I don't remember the exact high

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I would like to see or hear that anybody could get chocolate plants from seeds straight from Thailand or Laos. of course I dont believe in word of liar and notorious troll who was banned for trolling not so long ago.. till that I tend to believe it was mexican hybrid, because I talked with respectable Australian growers who claimed, they have never seen plants which are described by American stoners as choc "thai". thanks.

TheDarkStorm

I am telling you we got boat load after boat load MAHA you were not here and do you even know what chock Thai is ?. It is still being grown here and can be found .

Thai being grown in Mexico is believable but lots were grown in Cali to by people maybe not as much as here but it was there.

Chock Thai is a high land Thai sativa.

We got chocolate thai too hempy...I know people who've grown the seeds from it too...reminds me abit of yours ..its definitely a thai strain.....used to come in flat pressed brick here.... brown coloured...chocolate smell and taste to it too.

There could have been something different in the USA maha....but a chocolate thai definitely existed....tho most of the plants that are claiming to be chocolate thai right now dont really look like what I remember... I never got to try the red thai from real seed co but that had supposed chocolate phenos in it aswell. I like your plant by the way...itl be nice to see it in flower.
By the way some of the mexican lines had been hybridized with thais too...might explain the chocolate type coming out of Mexico back then.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
We got chocolate thai too hempy...I know people who've grown the seeds from it too...reminds me abit of yours ..its definitely a thai strain.....used to come in flat pressed brick here.... brown coloured...chocolate smell and taste to it too.

There could have been something different in the USA maha....but a chocolate thai definitely existed....tho most of the plants that are claiming to be chocolate thai right now dont really look like what I remember... I never got to try the red thai from real seed co but that had supposed chocolate phenos in it aswell. I like your plant by the way...itl be nice to see it in flower.
By the way some of the mexican lines had been hybridized with thais too...might explain the chocolate type coming out of Mexico back then.

Hi Dark the one i have now is i believe a lowland Thai this one from harvest to dry stays green it cures to a brown.

The Highland Thai was harvested Green and by the time it dried even if it took 3 days to dry it would dry to a chocolaty brown color.

They were the most common Thai plants grown here and what i grew mostly.

We never called it chock Thai we called it Thai or Buddha and still do.People collected seed from imported lots or from with in Thailand on there trips.
picture.php

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Maha, I don't want to argue with you, nor do I want to get involved in the problems between you and Hempy and anyone else, I've never been to Australia or the States, and I was probably not born at the time yet ...
But I cannot understand why it is not possible that Thai chocolate seeds can be grown both in Thailand and Mexico...
Just because you've never heard of it? Names are just names, especially with cannabis on the black market ...
Ask how many Brits or Americans have ever heard of burrel, tampee, cotton, none because it was only sold as lambsbread ...
Over the years I have asked several times how many people in the 70s had heard of original haze, only Sam replied.......

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Maha, I don't want to argue with you, nor do I want to get involved in the problems between you and Hempy and anyone else, I've never been to Australia or the States, and I was probably not born at the time yet ...
But I cannot understand why it is not possible that Thai chocolate seeds can be grown both in Thailand and Mexico...
Just because you've never heard of it? Names are just names, especially with cannabis on the black market ...
Ask how many Brits or Americans have ever heard of burrel, tampee, cotton, none because it was only sold as lambsbread ...
Over the years I have asked several times how many people in the 70s had heard of original haze, only Sam replied.......

it was grown at Hawaii too. exactly is only name for hybrid from Mexico. name for American consumers. if some thai gets brown it doesn't mean its taste is like chocolate, and I even believe that some thai can have chocolate tones. haze can have it too. but we are talking about strong pronounced earthy chocolate taste. with flowering time of 13 weeks and not more, and narcotic floating dreamy high. no weed was sold as choc thai in Australia. some pure thai with choco tones, one pheno? we are talking about line which puts out chocolate phenos mostly. so where is it? when it is grown in Thailand or Laos, somebody would have it. no? I could believe it was hybrid from Thailand, now extinct. but after xerb post,everything seem to fit the fact it was some hybrid from Mexico, maybe thai hybrid who knows and strong chocolate taste and narcotic character of effect came from Paki Hashplant. the imagine that some mexican cartel would grow pure thai for profit makes me smile. paki affie genetics was introduced in Mexico at 1976, some say even sooner.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
maybe somebody credible will chime in and say, I was in Cambodia/Laos/Thailand and all we got was chocolate weed :D then I will believe it. but somebody with credit. drawoh´s choc "thai", it looks very similar to hybrids from Sinaloa...
picture.php

TheDarkStorm

This was drawohs chocolate thai photography by himself...not sure if it was actually a pure chocolate thai (looks like a hybrid of highland thai/choc thai)...but it isnt a small compact plant but huge stretchy and long flowering

Bottom picture is the thai-tanic wich used a supposed chocolate thai/thai stick mother....one that looked quite similar to hempys thai

Attachments

• 133140166_Large_.JPG
    133140166_Large_.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 133140184_Large_.JPG
    133140184_Large_.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 64
  • user1330_pic330578_1269145480.jpg
    user1330_pic330578_1269145480.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 77

herbgreen

Veteran
good point also Darkstorm that chocolate phenos are listed in one of the descripitions being found in RSC red thai

Another point which is a good one and keeps reminding me of chocolate thai.... Its that any significant amount of cbd or just hint of Indy messes with or changes sativa high in general even next day for weeks even

It is profound effect diffenece and can make it hard it even get high but its not tolerance doing it...its that cbd in Indy or dreamy sativas

I was a chocolate drawoh thai user and @ one point had stash of it

And its great, what I would call ' laugh your ass off weed '

However, cbd is high in it

And anything with it will do it eventually and not really aware.....I stopped all strains like that for a while and its a real clarity difference

Adding back slowly some cali-o and skunk1 maybe light indy when I really want that sort of effect

Kava Kava, Valerian, HTP-5, melatonin, chamomile.... The list goes on of relaxing knock you out herbs

Chocolate thai is a cbd rich sativa like dreamy laugh your ass off weed but its low potency no big deal its more the flavor and unique effects but looks way too chunky to be 100% sativa maybe indoor cultivation that made it like that over time

Its said to came right out of a import brick of chocolate thai

Mainly interested because its in the Flo by dj short but its nice relaxing smoke :good:

TheDarkStorm

good point also Darkstorm that chocolate phenos are listed in one of the descripitions being found in RSC red thai

Another point which is a good one and keeps reminding me of chocolate thai.... Its that any significant amount of cbd or just hint of Indy messes with or changes sativa high in general even next day for weeks even

It is profound effect diffenece and can make it hard it even get high but its not tolerance doing it...its that cbd in Indy or dreamy sativas

I was a chocolate drawoh thai user and @ one point had stash of it

And its great, what I would call ' laugh your ass off weed '

However, cbd is high in it

And anything with it will do it eventually and not really aware.....I stopped all strains like that for a while and its a real clarity difference

Adding back slowly some cali-o and skunk1 maybe light indy when I really want that sort of effect

Kava Kava, Valerian, HTP-5, melenonin, chamomile.... The list goes on of relaxing knock you out herbs

Chocolate thai is a cbd rich sativa like dreamy laugh your ass off weed but its low potency no big deal its more the flavor and unique effects but looks way too chunky to be 100% sativa maybe indoor cultivation that made it like that over time

Its said to came right out of a import brick of chocolate thai

Mainly interested because its in the Flo by dj short but its nice relaxing smoke :good:

Thank you....intresting observations.....I too found chocolate not to be too strong.....wen we first started getting it it would come quite sticky still and we usually found that to be of much higher quality....would give more chocolate earthy leathery tones....and would hit you hard powerful but have some body too.....wen it was dryer it would be more malty...I suspect the one may have been a hybrid of the earlier more buddha chocolate leather leaning type...or maybe picked earlier....the stronger type did seem to come earlier on....then later started coming more dryer and less sticky and more malty...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Chock Thai or as i call it highland Thai was very strong and it came in as imported Thai sticks.

I dont know what you guys are calling chock Thai but the last of what i would call good imported Thai was around 85 then the quality of imported Thai went down hill and then completely stopped.

Thai dose not have high CBD you can find it still here in some older growers hands so i bet you can still find it in the hill tribes of Thailand also.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Chock Thai or as i call it highland Thai was very strong and it came in as imported Thai sticks.

I dont know what you guys are calling chock Thai but the last of what i would call good imported Thai was around 85 then the quality of imported Thai went down hill and then completely stopped.

Thai dose not have high CBD you can find it still here in some older growers hands so i bet you can still find it in the hill tribes of Thailand also.

In some Thai weed you can find CBD

image.jpg

Stocktont

Veteran
@Hempy How do you know that there are no thai’s with ”high CBD”? How many have you tested or even seen lab-tested? What are the other cannabinoids that are common in ”thai” besides THC or THC(A) or THCV that we already know of? Are there different types as in different cannabinoid profiles within what you call ”thai”? It’s unclear what ”thai” means here if it applies to all ”south east asian” types or if it’s just the few you’ve tried from imported weed? Just want to know exactly how far your absolute statement holds true this time.

It would be far more interesting to hear if @ngakpa or any other credible person has any insight into this matter.

To me it seems to be three main types of ”south east asian” types which means the ones I have seen there from end of the 90s until today so not in the 1970s or 80s. To me cannabis often comes in color, even if the plants aren’t that specific color I might always associate it with it due to the color of the trim hash or the fading leafs or whatever. So it comes naturally for me to speak of the south east asian weed I have seen over the years in colors. As have others before me.

There might be more colors depending on who you ask but the south east asian that I have come across the most have been Green, Brown or Yellow/golden. That is also the order of commonality as most of the commercial weed bought in tourist spots or big cities, if it is grown in Asia under the sun, usually comes in pressed green bricks. 20 years ago it was much more common to get what I call ”brown” even in some touristy jamaican-music-establishment on the beach today most such places have the lower quality of the green brick.

The golden category is more elusive as it could, by some, be called either brown or green depending on what kind of Yellow to golden it is. There are some variations where I have had green/brown and green/golden or brown/golden, rarely have those half and half ones been better than the best of either category on its own.

There’s a great variation within the Green category as within the Brown, not only considering overall quality but differences in the perceived effects. This is where it gets hard to have a conversation as such things as how one felt while under the influence and being able to describe those effects are not always translatable between all humans. This is why it would be insightful, at least to me, if any one who have actual knowledge of cannabinoid profiles of south east asian types would share their knowledge. Are there distinct types only looking at the cannabinoid content and if so what are the differences between them.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Simple if Thai sativas had high CBD you not get high from them.

All the seized cannabis that was analysis in Australia a lot of that would be sativa from Asian and other parts had very low CBD in them also.

samples were analysed that had been seized by police from larger indoor or outdoor cultivation sites rather than from street level users. An HPLC method was used to determine the content of 9 cannabinoids: THC, CBD, cannabigerol (CBG), and their plant-based carboxylic acid precursors THC-A, CBD-A and CBG-A, as well as cannabichromene (CBC), cannabinol (CBN) and tetrahydrocannabivarin (THC-V). The “Cannabis Cautioning” samples showed high mean THC content (THC+THC-A?=?14.88%) and low mean CBD content (CBD+CBD-A?=?0.14%). A modest level of CBG was detected (CBG+CBG-A?=?1.18%) and very low levels of CBC, CBN and THC-V (<0.1%). “Known Provenance” samples showed no significant differences in THC content between those seized from indoor versus outdoor cultivation sites. The present analysis echoes trends reported in other countries towards the use of high potency cannabis with very low CBD content. The implications for public health outcomes and harm reduction strategies are discussed.