What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The New Chocolate Thai

TheDarkStorm

Didnt dj actually get chocolate thai in thai stick form. The pictures look more like how I remember chocolate thai when it first started coming through....dark brown and very sticky....it was as time progressed it started changing..getting paler in colour, drier, more malty less leather and started dropping in quality and strength

ps. It looks alot like what people are describing as opium diped thai stick....perhaps this is what it actually was and not really opium dipped thai.

Attachments

• photo2026419.png
    photo2026419.png
    505.4 KB · Views: 106

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Didnt dj actually get chocolate thai in thai stick form. The pictures look more like how I remember chocolate thai when it first started coming through....dark brown and very sticky....it was as time progressed it started changing..getting paler in colour, drier, more malty less leather and started dropping in quality and strength

ps. It looks alot like what people are describing as opium diped thai stick....perhaps this is what it actually was and not really opium dipped thai.

That kind of Thai could you also buy in the coffeeshop, smelled like coffee/chocolate.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

from what i have been able to ascertain ,
the stuff they are calling chocolate thai never came on a stick ,
it was roughly compressed from descriptions i have heard ..

those sticks in the picture don't look like any thai i ever saw on a stick ,
\looks terribly black and not like it was ever in a bundle of sticks ,
i wonder if that is even the real deal ??

i got some seeds send from Thailand via Canada called chocolate thai a few days ago ,
among a few other varieties , squirrel tail , mango thai and another one ...

BlackBuds

I bought a 1/4 pound of chocolate thai in 1985, golden brown lightly compressed cow patties. It was chocolaty and narcotic. At 17 it was the most I had ever bought before and I had trouble selling any because in the Bay Area CA there was nothing but kind green bud by then. HOWEVER, the strongest, most dreamy time loss weed I ever smoked was the real Thai stick in 80..wrapped with red string. dark to black and such a small amount I though I had been ripped off...3 of us shared this in a pipe and lost time for about 2-3 hours. All came to at the same time saying..what the fuck was on that shit? If it wasnt laced with opium it was nothing like I ever smoked again and legendary for good reason.

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got chocolate thai from Mexico back in the day. My dad used to smoke it when I was a kid in monterrey Sierra Madre nuevo lion.

Alot of Mexican "thai" that may or may not had anything to do with Thailand at all. Just similar smell. As alot of pot can have.

I'm sure alot of Americans and canadians called alot of weed thai as it's name lost its true meaning

Mm

Icemud

I recently ran some of Hazemans Chocolate Thai F4's which stems from DrawOh chocolate thai... I found there was 2 distinct phenos in terms of growth... some took after a very landracy sativa structure with long branching, airy "spindly" buds and long flowering times and the other phenos were shorter, much faster flowering and more of a "hybrid" type bud structure.

All of the females were very frosty and the terpenes were all very similar. It didn't smell like typical weed at all, and instead smelled like a blend of cigar tobacco/cardboard/autumn bakery spices, cloves/hints of chocolate.

I had an extremely hard time getting a male out of the seeds. I went through 3 separate projects to finally get 2 males, and I think I popped about 25+ seeds to get the 2 males... (I was doing an open pollination so I wanted the males to BX the Chocolate Thai's as well as hit my other strains/mothers).

I also found out I'm extremely allergic to thai pollen, never had any other strains (other than dj short blueberry which has thai in it) effect me like this, where even with a N95 mask, I sneezed for a half hour, throat closed up and was burning and my eyes felt like they were rubbed with fiberglass...LOL

The high was something like I've never experienced before though... it was extremely clear headed, enlightening, creative and energetic at first with no anxiety feeling. It reminded me of the old "creeper" back in the day that you don't really feel right away, and it comes in waves where each "level" wave is stronger and stronger until you start feeling almost too high where you start questioning if you hit too much... it felt like those days where you wake up happy, the temperature is perfect and you just feel like the greatest day on earth... like someone took your inner 3rd eye and spine and gently lifted you up into a higher dimensional plane... it was such an amazing feeling that I've never felt from any strains before.

Pheno 5 I chose to keep for future seed projects as a "mother" plant as I preferred the high better and it was one of the quicker flowering phenos.

Chocolate Thai #4 (3).jpg

Chocolate Thai #5 (1).jpg

Here are the shorter flowering females:
Chocolate Thai #5 (2).jpg

Chocololate Thai #4 (3).jpg

Here are some of the long flowering "landracey" looking phenos: on day 90 flowering, with airy spindly flowers...
20210318_005908.jpg

20210318_010015.jpg

20210318_010020.jpg

acespicoli

shipments of SE Asian pot smuggled thru Hawaii is well documented

Last edited:

Icemud

Ice with all due respect, it looks like you have too much calcium in your water and pushing too much water through your containers. You have a lot of leaf loss and leaf bronzing from that.. 😎
No disrespect taken at all. I definitely had some issues on this grow, as well with other grows with the same happening. I attribute it to a few things... generally I have 8-13 different strains all jammed into a 2x4 tent so airflow is a big issue as well as light distribution. Also I've gotten lazy with waterings and instead of feeding each plant when its ready I kind of just feed them all whether they really need it or not so probably overwatering is a huge issue. I also was using R/O water with a D/I filter and I think the lack of micronutrients also was a key issue. Lately I've gone back to being much more careful with my watering volume and frequencies and things have improved. I also added a much stronger circulation fan to help move air through my dense canopys. I also started adding some regular tap water into my R/O nutrient blend and its helped quite a bit. Definitely have had some issues with these grows and mostly because ive been lazy with it. LOL. My current 88g13HP project is looking much better after I made the corrections above :)

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated! the watering I think really is the main factor causing this.. I really should set up a drip system but dont really have the room for it unfortunately.

Icemud

DrawOh is translated ....Howard

Name of the guy with the original seeds

Glad these came out so Good!!!:biggrin:
Thats great to know, I will add it to my breeding notes :) I try to keep track of each pollen/chuck open pollination I do as detailed as possible and add the history of the beans as well, so 10-20 years down the road I can reference them and know where I got them, what I did..etc.

Thanks for the compliments! I was extremely impressed with the Chocolate Thai, smelled unlike any other strain i've grown and the high was unlike anything I've ever smoked before.

One of the crosses I did was with a Cannarado Birthday Cake (Chocolate Cake) and a buddy of mine ran it outdoor and recently harvested.... He has called me multiple times just exstatic on how amazing the cross is and how wonderful the high is, like nothing he has ever had before he keeps telling me. I honestly can't wait to pop some of my crosses and see how the CT traits carry over. Chocolate Thai was such a treat to come across and grow. I still have my #5 pheno going and currently its in a 88G13HP open pollination project but I will be running it after this project for flower :) can't wait to have more of the Chocolate Thai to smoke

Nannymouse

The Chocolate Trip that Carty was gifting out (dunno the source), that did have the chocolate thing going. More in the aroma while growing than taste, but was there in taste, too. Every time that i would give it a try, the high would make me wonder why this was not a more popular strain. It is behind one of the more popular sticky strains, tho.

So, with that experience, i decided to collect a bunch of chocolates. Was gifted many CThai crosses, and an unknown sourced chocolate thai (labellled "many males" or something like that. Also, AK Bean Brains' Chocolate Thai, which i don't know where he sourced his. Maybe someday, i'll be able to grow again.

Anyone that is in contact with AKBB, tell him to drop in and give us the low down!

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know chocolate Thai very well it was available on the East Coast of USA primarily in 1981 in 1982 and it came in vacuum packed kilo allotments it was various shades of brown and gold and it was slightly seeded extremely strong sticky and narcotic

herbgreen

Veteran
Akbb is on IG

Good interviews where he talks about Chocolate Thai ....What he sold is the Drawoh

Latest posts

Latest posts