What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Colombian

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greetings to all, little update on my Colombian cannabis company. After a year of being here at my finca in Zipacon I have learned a lot, manly that commercial growing is not exactly what the rider wants to do. However I've pressed forward and now in the middle of the agricultural evaluation (PEA) trying to register 10 of my cannabis strains. I'm still working some pure Colombians but its pain in the ass with all the stupid rules and regulations. I've got the license to export seed so I'm working on legally selling some pure Colombian genetics as soon as possible. I have no intention of trying to be a seed bank cause I want to export flower as soon as its legal. But the seeds need to be preserved and although I've grown them to test quality they are as is not F2s. But I'll post some pictures and figure out how to get these genetics out. These plants take a lot of care and time but produce unique old school effects and tenpin ratios, these are not for commercial production unless you live in the tropics. Anyway its good to be able to post again.

redrider

Raho

Veteran
Greetings to all, little update on my Colombian cannabis company. After a year of being here at my finca in Zipacon I have learned a lot, manly that commercial growing is not exactly what the rider wants to do. However I've pressed forward and now in the middle of the agricultural evaluation (PEA) trying to register 10 of my cannabis strains. I'm still working some pure Colombians but its pain in the ass with all the stupid rules and regulations. I've got the license to export seed so I'm working on legally selling some pure Colombian genetics as soon as possible. I have no intention of trying to be a seed bank cause I want to export flower as soon as its legal. But the seeds need to be preserved and although I've grown them to test quality they are as is not F2s. But I'll post some pictures and figure out how to get these genetics out. These plants take a lot of care and time but produce unique old school effects and tenpin ratios, these are not for commercial production unless you live in the tropics. Anyway its good to be able to post again.

redrider

Good to have you back Red.

Producer

redrider

Stick with it brother! Those genetics have real value in the commercial world, whether as a hybrid or a boutique strain. Hope to visit with you soon🙏🏼

grayeyes

Hey Rider, good to hear from you. Missed hearing your stories (bet you have some unbelievable ones now) and your progress with your plantings. Drop me a line when you get a chance.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Great to hear from you again.

Do you know of a black strain that was in Colombia back in the day? I have read about it twice from different sources. One was the MadJag chronicles where Peter the Colombian had it as his personal stash. Another was a book by a guy who flew a lot of dope from Colombia, and had a bunch loaded on his plane one time.

It sounded like good dope.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chiba may be what you are thinking of flylowgethigh. I know a guy that freaked out on Chiba back in the seventies. hehe He said everything started pulsating. Wacky weed was dark. Regular green Colombian was the best I had, but I never had Punto Rojo, Chiba, Wacky or anything exotic like that. Just Red, Gold and Green. All had that nice incense smell to it. You could tell just by the smell of the smoke that it was Colombian.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
those were the days.... getting unadulterated Colombian, Panamanian, Jamaican , and yes even Mexican... what a treat- weed like that i have not seen in 40yrs... everything is 'cut' with an indica... and if u find 'pure' sativa.. i question if its 'pure', n u cant take a seed from colombian n think u can grow it in new jersey... just not the same effect

^^ Have you noticed a difference between pot grown in a greenhouse as opposed to outside in direct sun? Or in higher elevation than lower? I always thought the soaring psychedelic effect was in large part due to intense sun for the old import sativas.

Light spectrum has nothing to do with it. The microbes covering the surface will filter light to their liking with the proper cofactors. Every trace mineral on earth is a cofactor for microbial function. Every microbe produces a unique metabolite. Many of these metabolites are synergistic with or precursors of Cannabis actives.

Every active in Cannabis comes from hexanoic. If you have microbes that produce hexanoic and cofactors that convert into thc-p instead of cbd, of course you're going to get a different experience than a vape pen isolate grown in sterile hydro.. You don't need to bring the climate with you. Bring the microbes that thrive in that climate and the mineral source they've adapted to.

But ya know, this is a weed forum, so plants don't grow like that or whatever. Trust the hydro lords when all their bud smells the same.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Another book about smuggling dope from Colombia back in the 70's mentioned the minerals in the valley that Santa Marta Gold was grown in. I read these and look for clues. When I can, I will try to find these passages and post them up.

What if the local microbes were also a key factor?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
https://madjag.com/wacky-weed/#wacky-weed

The most devastating herb I have ever toked was a true, landrace Colombian Wacky Weed was known to me as “Candybar“. It showed up three or four times a year via Brooklyn, New York to Phoenix, Arizona. The only person in America receiving it was my good Colombian friend Gerardo. His source was an old-time grower from Neiva, Colombia, land of the Colombian Black that ranged from a shady chocolate color to a rich black tar coloration.

Candybar came so black and compacted into one ounce “bars” that it looked like Nepalese Temple Ball hash and had very little if any apparent leaf or vegetable matter. It was tightly sealed in aluminum foil with an outer wrapping of Saran Wrap. The few people who were lucky enough to examine it up close were like, “WTF?” because it couldn’t be just plain weed. Not coming like that. What these lookers didn’t know, though, was the true surprise that the source of this smoke was handful of female plants that were not annuals. These mother plants were many years old and treasured by the few, rare individuals that had access to the herb they produced. Though I’ve never seen photos of multi-year plants from Colombia, my friend Rob Clarke sent me photos of a Thai tree with a sturdy trunk slightly larger in diameter than your forearm, with a height of approximately 12-16 feet. Standing alone along an agricultural field’s wooded edge, a single plant looked very similar to a small stand of bamboo. It doesn’t necessarily mean a lack of vigor, at least at the Equator, when a plant grows beyond a year….or five.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Great thread, love these stories from RR. Beautiful countryside and fabulous looking old school weed. Brings back the memories for me...growing up in New England in the late 70s and early 80s. My dad was well connected and used to always get great stuff. RR pics are so spot on...usually it was brown brick weed full of seeds, but I have seen a lot of lightly pressed stuff too. Usually no mention of origin, but I'm sure most was from Columbia or Mexico. It was generally very good though. The Jamaican weed at the time was also wonderful. And the local hippies were growing fantastic bag seed plants at that time. I remember seeing vegetable gardens with 4 or 5 huge plants more than once.

Saw and swiped a few bowls of some incredible bright red hash buttons at that time too, probably from Afghanistan. Best hash I have ever smoked.

I believe that eventually people will get tired of smoking little round balls of weed with zero character and heavy stone. Every variety I see in MA at dispensaries looks virtually identical and smokes nearly the same. The craft cannabis scene is coming, I guarantee it.

OldCoolSativa

I believe that eventually people will get tired of smoking little round balls of weed with zero character and heavy stone. Every variety I see in MA at dispensaries looks virtually identical and smokes nearly the same. The craft cannabis scene is coming, I guarantee it.

You, amigo, are a brother from another mother. I couldn't agree more, even though I have yet to step foot in a dispensary here in Massachusetts. I enjoyed the Lumbo back in the 70s. Best I had was Colombian Gold. Only saw Colombian sinsemilla once, scored from a friend while visiting him at Harvard in 1980, it was super potent, stupefying and really harsh, but it definitely had that Colombian aroma. Those who know, know.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Hehe, yeah the dispensaries are mostly a waste of time. I can see going to one for high CBD stuff if you weren't wanting to source seeds and grow your own, but otherwise it's like all Budweiser all the time with maybe a Heineken thrown in once in while.

Amynamous

Hehe, yeah the dispensaries are mostly a waste of time. I can see going to one for high CBD stuff if you weren't wanting to source seeds and grow your own, but otherwise it's like all Budweiser all the time with maybe a Heineken thrown in once in while.

My experience is it depends on the dispensary. Some are better than others and some of their products are better than others.
I’ve been lucky to obtain some outstanding flowers here in New Mexico. I’ve also been disappointed on multiple occasions.
Seems to me it can be extremely challenging to grow extremely large amounts of cannabis and maintain consistent high quality.
That being said, I’ve been mostly impressed with what i grow in my backyard.

Amynamous

Does anyone have any experience growing the threeway pure Columbian Haze from Todd M and how does it compare to other Columbian sativa strains? I am curious if it is worth buying.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
g
Every variety I see in MA at dispensaries looks virtually identical and smokes nearly the same. The craft cannabis scene is coming, I guarantee it.

is anyone seeing top-shelf shit in MA dispensaries??? - my neighbor who summers there has given me on a number of occasions weed she has bought from MA... its 'ok' , but i can buy or grow 'ok' , i'm looking for ass-kickin , n they tell me MA charges 400bucks a 'z' plus 15pct tax...

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Other than Dream Lotus from Bodhi I have not seen anything interesting, just top 40 strains. But, it's been awhile since I went into a store. Meanwhile more dispensaries are opening all the time. No one is going to make any money at this rate, except for the state.

Latest posts

Latest posts