What's new

Suitable strains for Southeast Asia/Tropical climate

strangebabylon

Hello! I live in Thailand and the country have been taking babysteps towards legalisation the past 3 years and is now finally opening up for household growing.

I will be growing outdoors and first round will be just bagseeds or rather.... Brickweed seeds since that is what 90% of the available flower is. Most likely from Laos. Not great but with some actual curing it should still beat the brickshit.

​​​​​It's still very early when it comes to the cannabis industri here so good Thai varietys and landraces arent widely available in all parts of the country so for my second round i will have seeds sent to me from Europe.

I used to grow indoors when i was living in the western hemisphere, mostly hybrids and indicas but with the climate here being so humid and the all year round 12/12 i will have to grow something more sativa leaning.

Any tropical outdoors growers here that have any suggestions that arent the usual haze varietys?

Regards/StrangeBabylon

Chi13

ICMag Donor
You live where some of the best cannabis in the world was once produced. There is still great cannabis to found in Laos, and I am sure Thailand. I f it was me I would stick with your local cannabis. There has been centuries of genetic selection and it will be adapted to your environment. Not only that, but you help preserve the genetics. It is funny reading this because I have searched out Laos weed, even a landrace Laos and Thai genetics, even though I have spent years growing modern hybrids. My own environment is very hot and humid for most of the year too, and I stick with mostly sativa's or 3/4 sativa hybrids. Even then I get issues with mould.

I much prefer Thai from the old days, but even a modern Laos I would smoke in preference to most modern varieties.

The only suggestion is that you look at someone like ACE seeds, who have sativa leaning hybrids that might cope with humidity, or time your harvest to happen when it is dryer in the middle of winter. There's a few growers here who grow in the tropics who may help you better.

Also, hi and welcome to the site.

Last edited:

goingrey

Stocktont

Veteran
Hello! I live in Thailand and the country have been taking babysteps towards legalisation the past 3 years and is now finally opening up for household growing.

I will be growing outdoors and first round will be just bagseeds or rather.... Brickweed seeds since that is what 90% of the available flower is. Most likely from Laos. Not great but with some actual curing it should still beat the brickshit.

​​​​​It's still very early when it comes to the cannabis industri here so good Thai varietys and landraces arent widely available in all parts of the country so for my second round i will have seeds sent to me from Europe.

I used to grow indoors when i was living in the western hemisphere, mostly hybrids and indicas but with the climate here being so humid and the all year round 12/12 i will have to grow something more sativa leaning.

Any tropical outdoors growers here that have any suggestions that arent the usual haze varietys?

Regards/StrangeBabylon

I would suggest growing southeast asian seeds if growing outdoors only in the tropics. Those plants will give you a good chance of success as it’s not just the photoperiod that is challenging growing outdoors in the tropics. You need to consider humidity/rain and bugs to name a few.

Depending on where you are located in the kingdom. I am not asking where you are just stating that there are differences in different regions that also need to be taken into consideration for a successful grow. Down below the 10th parallel the shortest day is about 11.5 hours long (where I am it’s 11 hours and 36 minutes) and the longest day is about 12.5 hours (12 hours and 34 minutes) so it stays pretty close to 12/12 all year around. The differences between longest and shortest day would be greater the further north you go and in Chiang Rai (at the 19th parallel north, Thailand reaches to about the 20th parallel north) the shortest day is just under 11 hours (10 hours and 55 minutes) and the longest day is about 13 hours and 20 minutes.

I tried to grow both southeast asian seeds from a lot of different sources (all from within the country) and I also grew hybrid seeds I brought myself. If you’re trying the latter I would suggest having some sort of light and confined space to germinate and veg the plants for some time before putting them outside. Also I found that growing hybrids was easier (higher rate of success) if I planted them in pots where most of the southeast asians thrived being planted into the ground. Also you need to look out for mold as some hybrids are too dense and too compact with too many wide leafs that won’t allow for good airflow and they are not the best ones to grow in the tropics.

Good luck and stay safe!

Stocktont

Veteran
I do type Zomia Collective into google and it will pop up i was impressed with what i saw and with the preservation work and what they are about.

Let us know what you think Stocktont happy hunting.

Thanks for the link @@hempy don’t know anything about this collective and from a brief look it’s mostly their own words about themselves so who knows. Can’t see anywhere they state that the breeders of the collective are thai just that they are a breeding collective that has an interest in Thailand but, maybe they have set it up like TRSC where they collect seeds from local growers and kick some cash back to them as their ”re-investment” in the region and hence looking at it that way the makers of the seeds would be Thai for the Thai seeds and so on. As I said I don’t know hoping someone will chime in that do.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Thanks for the link @@hempy don’t know anything about this collective and from a brief look it’s mostly their own words about themselves so who knows. Can’t see anywhere they state that the breeders of the collective are thai just that they are a breeding collective that has an interest in Thailand but, maybe they have set it up like TRSC where they collect seeds from local growers and kick some cash back to them as their ”re-investment” in the region and hence looking at it that way the makers of the seeds would be Thai for the Thai seeds and so on. As I said I don’t know hoping someone will chime in that do.

I heard the guy that started it is meant to be a nice guy but having an additional land race group offering seed is a big plus from were i sit.

The plant lines they have on offer so far looks good and i like how you have lowland highland and tropical and even and the others areas.

I think it is like TRSC maybe shoot them an email ask some questions and see.

3rd-3yed

Veteran

They are a French Collective with connections in Thailand, they do travels there and collect the seeds from local growers in various provinces.

Riamba

My advice to you will be trying to source local genetics from contacts and grow those, or try to find quality bagseeds and work those yourself. You won't find more suitable strains anywhere I'm afraid.

They are a French Collective with connections in Thailand, they do travels there and collect the seeds from local growers in various provinces.

I was going to point that after I found out Zomia aren't locals as they try to appear. They simply acquired local contacts on IG just like RSC, The Landrace Team and many others from the latest landrace hype wave do and try to make business with the bagseeds they source from the locals, who obviously realized about an interesting income model after legalization and the demand some westerners seem to have for legendary "thai stick" and rare genetics. But not everything that shines is gold... who really knows if the seeds are from really decent quality lines or hermie overpriced crap, from hybridized genetics or from import Cambodian or Lao genetics. Being unworked genetics, the strains need to be curated by someone experienced or at least, a seasoned sativa smoker who knows what to look for, otherwise it's hit and miss, like scoring girls in Pattaya, eventually you may end grabing some undesired balls without even realizing haha. You can't take what all this seed sellers say at face value, they always have an agenda. They won't be good just because they are Thai Lol.
Someone reported Zomia were using fake pictures from one of Bushweed grows on their IG. So suddenly they said it was a mistake from the seed provider, the picture, post and comments were removed:

Hi, I saw your comment on the picture I shared and just wanted to get in touch. We were shared the photo by an associate of ours who claimed it was his. Very saddened to hear that isn't the case - since we aren't advertising anything nor claiming that it is anything other than a Thai landrace, would you recommend me to attribute the photographer or to remove the post entirely?

How strange, I don't see a local thai villager scouting Icmag for Thai pictures to advertise their own product. And not even a Thai, they were using his Mangobiche picture lol.

picture.php

So I don't think they are even growing those themselves but just posting picture from growers who test for them in US and Europe. Also when I've read all that bs about the real deal thai stick strains another big warning appeared. It won't be thai stick unless it came from the original thai stick seeds from back then, otherwise its just a misleading marketing gimmick. Thai Sticks haveb't been produced in ages and most weed from Thailand has been imported by the Thai mafias, known by funding growing ops across the border in Cambodia.

I would love to see real local growers starting something like that, now that legalization happened. No need to have colonialist minded westerners leeching their resources and trying to grab a piece of the cake, while they preach about valuable preservation like everyone else in the bandwagon.