What's new

What are your opinions on males that throw late pistils - keep or toss?

Crazy Chester

So, I popped five Beatrix Choice F2s from AK Bean Brains Seeds. I got two males that I let go until they died, along with two other males (an original issue TGA Jack The Ripper and a new issue Brothers Grimm Cinderella 99).

Three out of the four males never put out a pistil - even towards the bitter end. But, my Acapulco Gold leaning Beatrix Choice male did put out a few pistils after it had dropped the bulk of his pollen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BC AG.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.2 KB ID:	18002111
If you look at the lower branch on the left side - it's the one that popped out some pistils - resulting in some seeds:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211128_110840[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.2 KB ID:	18002112

I've heard so many things about choosing a good male for breeding purposes. Once I heard an experienced breeder state the merits of using a male that spits out a few late pistils, but didn't explain why, or I forgot the explanation.

These seeds were pollinated by self pollination, the other Beatrix Choice male, the Cinderella 99 or the Jack The Ripper. I figure I'll grow them out to see what's up.

What do you all think?

Crazy Chester

Will those seeds be all Male?

I've been wondering that too. However, I can clearly see dimpled bottoms on some of the seeds - that's usually a female, I've heard. I guess I'll find out when I pop them. Interesting, though - can a male crossed to itself or to a different male produce an XX seed? Is it as simple as taking an X from the plant itself and an X from a male pollen donor to make regular seeds?

EDIT: I was listening digging into a 5 hour youtube video called "Breeder Roundtable: Reversal Techniques", and right after I submitted this post, one of the breeders confirmed that it makes regular seeds! It's at 1:21:33 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfpqGdEwWqw

BobChronic6505

Ok - it kind of twists my head - during the interview the breeders were talking about starting an IBL using a male to back-cross to, instead of a female!

Theres some good stuff on future cannabis project. I used to listen to alot of their shows to get through the days.

Idk much about the plant breeding. I wish I had played more attention go chemistry and biology in school!

CavanalCannabis

Hey how did the Beatrix choice females turn out? @Crazy Chester I’m looking for info for Beatrix choice. I have a gifted pack of Chocolate Thai/paki x Beatrix choice from AK and am really considering running them outside/greenhouse this year in OK.

shiva82

breeders have reversed males in the past to make mainly male seeds with their favourite males . interesting. only one way to find out , is by growing them out and testing them. Some great studs show late female traits, and others are not so good and can give hermie offspring. You just need to test and find out. thanks for sharing , that is quite rare to see

Crazy Chester

Hey how did the Beatrix choice females turn out? @Crazy Chester I’m looking for info for Beatrix choice. I have a gifted pack of Chocolate Thai/paki x Beatrix choice from AK and am really considering running them outside/greenhouse this year in OK.
They turned out to be in line with the AK Bean Brain description. In my estimation, it was a good sativa dominant hybrid. I got two phenos - one that was more Acapulco Gold and one that had a decent amount of Afghani in its appearance (more short, thick and purple). Both had a good sativa dominant high. Leaving aside the Pakistani in your seeds, I'm thinking the Beatrix Choice should not diminish the sativa effects of the Chocolate Thai too much.

Crazy Chester

breeders have reversed males in the past to make mainly male seeds with their favourite males . interesting. only one way to find out , is by growing them out and testing them. Some great studs show late female traits, and others are not so good and can give hermie offspring. You just need to test and find out. thanks for sharing , that is quite rare to see
Reversing the males to get them to "self" for preservation of males sounds interesting. If you know - did they do it just to make sure they still have the male's genetics in the event they lost the original daddy - or, did they actually use males popped from the selfed seeds as daddies? I still have the un-popped seeds - so, it's still a mystery to me whether they'll turn out all male or end up producing both males and females.

CavanalCannabis

They turned out to be in line with the AK Bean Brain description. In my estimation, it was a good sativa dominant hybrid. I got two phenos - one that was more Acapulco Gold and one that had a decent amount of Afghani in its appearance (more short, thick and purple). Both had a good sativa dominant high. Leaving aside the Pakistani in your seeds, I'm thinking the Beatrix Choice should not diminish the sativa effects of the Chocolate Thai too much.
Thanks. I think it sounds like a good mix. Old school poly hybrid, some input from several parts of the world: Acapulco, Afghanistan, south Africa, Pakistan, and Thailand.

Latest posts

Latest posts