What's new

Do-it-yourself Haze

OldCoolSativa

Hey, OJD, those two are my favorites as well, with the lengthening dreadlocks of stacked calyxes. I love how these plants get "racing stripes" as they get older! They're both airy / fluffy buds, moreso on the Outback 1 pheno. The NH18 plant structure reminds me of the Nevil's Haze that L33t grew and documented about 10 years ago on MNS. Excellent work on selecting your grail male and in making these incredible genetics available. I greatly appreciate it.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I am curious how you like the ojd hybrids versus the holy grail from Shanti. Not trying to start a competition or anything just seems the outback haze was something special from Neville.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
NH18 x OJD grail - That's just a magic-eye print. I crossed my eyes and I could see a tiger in it.

Great run, man. Another two/three weeks on a couple of those?

OldCoolSativa

Initial Smoke Report

I harvested the two Vietnamese plants at 14.5 weeks, trichomes were mostly milky, some clear, none amber. V2 outyielded V1 despite being in a smaller pot.

At this point I've smoked test samples of each plant, and here are my initial thoughts on the effects. Too soon to call out aromas and flavors.

Vietnam #1: Sample from 13 weeks is pretty similar to V2, perhaps a bit less intense. 3+ hours duration, very potent head high.

Vietnam #2: Sample from 11 weeks gave a 4 hour high, and was really psychedelic, a little scary at first. The world seemed more 3D. Colors are brighter. Very potent high that still allows me to get stuff done.

Outback haze #1 (wild pheno) cross: Tiny sample from 13 weeks, only about 3-4 puffs over a couple hours. Instant euphoria, and the big smile on my face lasted for 4 hours. Super clean high, no drowsiness, nothing narcotic about it in the least. Highly functional and aware effect. Primo herb, and it looks like it needs to go another 5+ weeks to full maturity.

Outback haze #2a (grail pheno) cross: Sample from 11 weeks gave me a really clean 4-hour high. The kind of high where you don't notice how high you are until you realize how high you are. The high is pleasant and not overly intense.

Outback haze #2b (grail pheno) cross: The 11-week sample hit hard. Seriously potent, and the effect intensified linearly as I smoked more. Causes a some spaciness and confusion, and I won't drive after I smoke it. At the risk of repeating myself, yet another 4+ hour high. This one has a bit of body high to it, possible a little more NL5 influence, or something in the Mullem...buds are densest also and look like they could be found in a dispensary. This will be the biggest yielder and should be done at 16 weeks. In any other normal grow or pheno hunt, this plant would be the keeper. In this grow it's the least interesting (to me).

NH18 x MM cross: Star of the show (for now) with the racing stripe fenotrigo bud structure. I took my first toke about 3 hours after smoking some #2b, so I was still buzzed, but this stuff absolutely kicked my ass. The effect on top of other cannabis was instant and almost devastating. The next day I tried again with a clear head and found the high to be intense but extremely enjoyable. All head, no body, very motivational herb. This is a 4-hour-plus hour electric high, with no anxiety or paranoia. Gave me some synesthesia effects...can't wait to try it on the GF. :) If I smoke it before I go to sleep I kind of get visions. I'm not seeing God or anything, but the weed lets my brain interpret the patterns that we see when we shut our eyes into moving and morphing images. I've also had this effect with my best 20-week Colombians. Extraordinary herb.

Summary: The planets really aligned for me on this grow. I'm very fortunate to have found what I'm looking for in this grow, not once but multiple times!

The Vietnam: Is it haze in seed form? I think the answer is yes, because these two plants can hang with the best hazes from Nevil's magnum opus. I regret culling the other two Vietnam plants, one of which was probably a male and could've been used to make F2s. An excellent southeast Asian cultivar, IMO.

OJD's grail haze: Extraordinary. All four I grew were excellent, and two appear to be grail plants in my book. If my grow is representative, I believe the hit rate of excellent haze plants in OJD's gear is similar to the F1 hazes that came from Nevil's hands - multiple keepers in every pack. I congratulate OJD for selecting a long-flowering male (NH21 x MM-long) that gave me a bunch of 16-week plus plants. Too many breeders (including Nevil, Shanti, Sam and pretty much everyone else) watered down the gene pool over the last 50 years by selecting for faster flowering plants. I applaud any breeder who realizes that the absolute best quality effects come from the longest flowering plants, and select for quality over speed or quantity.

Lastly, this grow has reinforced my notion that the very best effects among sativas and hazes are to be found in the longest-flowering plants that exhibit a fenotrigo bud structure.

Last edited:

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Thanks for the early report and interesting insights. Sounds like quite the winter lineup.

regseeds

Initial Smoke Report

Too many breeders (including Nevil, Shanti, Sam and pretty much everyone else) watered down the gene pool over the last 50 years by selecting for faster flowering plants. I applaud any breeder who realizes that the absolute best quality effects come from the longest flowering plants, and select for quality over speed or quantity.

props to you for following your own conviction, that's why the stars aligned.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Initial Smoke Report

I harvested the two Vietnamese plants at 14.5 weeks, trichomes were mostly milky, some clear, none amber. V2 outyielded V1 despite being in a smaller pot.

At this point I've smoked test samples of each plant, and here are my initial thoughts on the effects. Too soon to call out aromas and flavors.

Vietnam #1: Sample from 13 weeks is pretty similar to V2, perhaps a bit less intense. 3+ hours duration, very potent head high.

Vietnam #2: Sample from 11 weeks gave a 4 hour high, and was really psychedelic, a little scary at first. The world seemed more 3D. Colors are brighter. Very potent high that still allows me to get stuff done.

Outback haze #1 (wild pheno) cross: Tiny sample from 13 weeks, only about 3-4 puffs over a couple hours. Instant euphoria, and the big smile on my face lasted for 4 hours. Super clean high, no drowsiness, nothing narcotic about it in the least. Highly functional and aware effect. Primo herb, and it looks like it needs to go another 5+ weeks to full maturity.

Outback haze #2a (grail pheno) cross: Sample from 11 weeks gave me a really clean 4-hour high. The kind of high where you don't notice how high you are until you realize how high you are. The high is pleasant and not overly intense.

Outback haze #2b (grail pheno) cross: The 11-week sample hit hard. Seriously potent, and the effect intensified linearly as I smoked more. Causes a some spaciness and confusion, and I won't drive after I smoke it. At the risk of repeating myself, yet another 4+ hour high. This one has a bit of body high to it, possible a little more NL5 influence, or something in the Mullem...buds are densest also and look like they could be found in a dispensary. This will be the biggest yielder and should be done at 16 weeks. In any other normal grow or pheno hunt, this plant would be the keeper. In this grow it's the least interesting (to me).

NH18 x MM cross: Star of the show (for now) with the racing stripe fenotrigo bud structure. I took my first toke about 3 hours after smoking some #2b, so I was still buzzed, but this stuff absolutely kicked my ass. The effect on top of other cannabis was instant and almost devastating. The next day I tried again with a clear head and found the high to be intense but extremely enjoyable. All head, no body, very motivational herb. This is a 4-hour-plus hour electric high, with no anxiety or paranoia. Gave me some synesthesia effects...can't wait to try it on the GF. :) If I smoke it before I go to sleep I kind of get visions. I'm not seeing God or anything, but the weed lets my brain interpret the patterns that we see when we shut our eyes into moving and morphing images. I've also had this effect with my best 20-week Colombians. Extraordinary herb.

Summary: The planets really aligned for me on this grow. I'm very fortunate to have found what I'm looking for in this grow, not once but multiple times!

The Vietnam: Is it haze in seed form? I think the answer is yes, because these two plants can hang with the best hazes from Nevil's magnum opus. I regret culling the other two Vietnam plants, one of which was probably a male and could've been used to make F2s. An excellent southeast Asian cultivar, IMO.

OJD's grail haze: Extraordinary. All four I grew were excellent, and two appear to be grail plants in my book. If my grow is representative, I believe the hit rate of excellent haze plants in OJD's gear is similar to the F1 hazes that came from Nevil's hands - multiple keepers in every pack. I congratulate OJD for selecting a long-flowering male (NH21 x MM-long) that gave me a bunch of 16-week plus plants. Too many breeders (including Nevil, Shanti, Sam and pretty much everyone else) watered down the gene pool over the last 50 years by selecting for faster flowering plants. I applaud any breeder who realizes that the absolute best quality effects come from the longest flowering plants, and select for quality over speed or quantity.

Lastly, this grow has reinforced my notion that the very best effects among sativas and hazes are to be found in the longest-flowering plants that exhibit a fenotrigo bud structure.

Great report bro , amazing grow log with lots of detail and from an OG who has tried some of the famous Old School Sativas from back in the day i couldnt be happier with your growlog/report.
Looks/ like you found some amazing plants and several keepers from your log.
This is all Nevilles work i just selected a Male that was as close the MM x NH21 phenos ive been working with in hybrids for several years now so reconised certain traits/leaf shapes/terps and like you said selected for a longer Male .
The real gems are the F1 Neville made and im honoured to be working them into seed to help Neville get his last projects out to the real Haze Heads and the masses and show you guys that near 40 years later Neville still got it and produced these new Grail project Hazes that are up there with his previous famous Hazes.
RIP Neville
I hope your smiling up there and aprove
Peace

OldCoolSativa

Hey there RingTail. I'll have plenty of good herb soon and I'm doing HVAC renovation soon that will dislocate my grow area so I don't plan to pop any seeds until late next spring or summer. But I have been thinking about how best to move this DIY haze \project forward. I definitely want to grow the Vietnam x punto rojo for the pure sativa experience, and to test my PR male. If the progeny are better than the Vietnam mother then I'll want to look through the seed made using the PR sire. I'm also very interested in the outback haze F2s, most likely from the OH #1 (wild pheno) mother. Think of the genetic makeup (Haze A, Haze C, Hempy's Thai, Kanga's Mullem) and how excellent a throwback pheno to one of those plants could be. The other thing I'm most interested in is selecting toward fenotrigo bud structure (using OH1 and NH18 crosses) and growing out the seeds from the Angeldorado sire, whose 18-week Angel Breathe mother had that huge yield, church aroma and crazy fenotrigo bud structure.

Then there's the Vietnam x Outback haze cross. Then there's the OH x Swiss Thai Nevil. Then...

OldCoolSativa

16 Weeks

I harvested the two Vietnam plants at about 14.5 weeks. V1 had a subdued odor while V2 retained some of the juicyfruit aromas. They are curing and already smoke beautifully.

Outback haze #1 (wild pheno) is just getting flower development cranked up at 16 weeks. The entire plant is still covered in white pistils, and needs at least another month. She's very happy to drink a liter of water every day and accelerate the swelling of her colas. Like the NH18 cross, the fenotrigo bud structure becomes more apparent during mid-late flower. She's beautiful and I can't wait to see what she looks like when she finally finishes.
F111 OH1.jpg

F111 OH1 cola.jpg

The outback haze #2 (grail pheno) crosses were harvested at 16 weeks. Here's what they looked like at the chop.

OH2a still retains a grapefruit and metal shop smell.
F111 OH2a.jpg

F111 OH2a cola.jpg

OH2b has very dense buds, maybe some NL or Mullem influence.
F111 OH2b.jpg

F111 OH2b cola.jpg

Finally, the NH18 x MM cross to OJD's male continues to grow longer dreadlocks every day. I think this one has 2-3 weeks left to go.
F111 NH18.jpg

F111 NH18 cola.jpg

So only two plants remain at 16 weeks. They both have outrageous fenotrigo bud structure and aromas. They both have excellent effects. This is why I grow long-legged sativas. This is what I'm after.

OldCoolSativa

Gracias, amigos! Yes, Piff_cat, I made seeds using pollen from one of six Angeldorado males I selected last year. Angeldorado's mother is the Angel's Breathe F2 of which you speak.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ABF25 cola Brady.jpg Views:	23 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	18021446

That plant also brought the lingering church aroma in a most impressive way so I think combining the NH18 and OH1 plants with the AB x '78 Colombian gold could give me some gems if I dig a little.

Last edited:

Piff_cat

Gracias, amigos! Yes, Piff_cat, I made seeds using pollen from one of six Angeldorado males I selected last year. Angeldorado's mother is the Angel's Breathe F2 of which you speak.

That plant also brought the lingering church aroma in a most impressive way so I think combining the NH18 and OH1 plants with the AB x '78 Colombian gold could give me some gems if I dig a little.

Wow that ting looks like medusa!! Been reading up on the phenols like guiaol and fenchol. Since they exist in liquid form they may contribute to the lingering stick to the wall haze smoke we all love. Similar to how smoking meat lingers thru the pyrolisis of lignin in hardwood. Either way really nice man

TheDarkStorm

those OJD buds are amazing.
how strong and upright are the stems on the hazes? do you think those big buds would hold up in the great outdoors?

they come out very healthy an have a strudy main trunk....they grow large very fast not only above ground but root wise too so anchor in well....some of these come out tree like structurally....with some of the parent lines selected outdoors an some even being bred outdoors for generations I can see these doing extremely well outdoors.....indoors my experience some of these ojd put out grew the biggest an fastest from every thing this year but that was indoors....id be quite confident in saying if your have a season long enough that these will probably do the same outdoors for others an most likely will out-perform everything.

cool growing old cool sativa....well done man....