What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Deep Chunk

ngakpa

Veteran
I can't say for sure as I've not grown it, but my understanding is Freak Chunk is a Deep Chunk crossed with Bubba.

reports I'm seeing and getting are of very homogenous plants

and for the two generations of DC the source of these seeds has seen, the plants have been very uniform

pinch of salt advisable imo

browntrout

Veteran

and for the two generations of DC the source of these seeds has seen, the plants have been very uniform

I’m not sure if your speaking to my post, but I’d like to further explain my results.

Growing two separate lines side by side and previous experience with Cannacopia DC crosses. Not to mention seed runs over 50 plants of other strains.

It’s pretty easy to see the hybridization in my mind.

The IC member who gave me the pure line had variations that are expected in heavily inbred lines like DC. Slight variation in leaf shape, purple coloration, mould resistance etc. But all are undeniably similar and look much alike.

The Kwik Seeds Freak Chunk, all looked “Deep Chunk” as DC at 50% in any indica dominant hybrid with DC does, lends a lot of its shape/look and some phenos easily could be passed off as pure DC to most. It had all the tell tale signs of hybridization. In my mind. Certain phenos lacking the large dominant fan leaves, excessive longer branching, variations in bud size, bud structure etc. Also most were very much lighter green and not as thick waxy leaves as pure DC. Also the auto pheno... I don’t grow autos, have very little seed. Grew an auto Malawi NL this year, which I purchased a single seed of. No chance for miss-labelling. It looked like a DC x auto with denser buds and purple coloration.

All of these traits varied between each pheno however, not to the extent some might see. To me it’s drastic, to myself 10 years ago... very subtle.

I’m a big fan of RSC but The particular breeder of DC from which the seeds I received are, maybe not as much. I would still do other orders to Kwik seeds no question.

meizzwang

Any links to pics? Would love to see them! It would be exciting if freak chunk is in fact a pure deep chunk, all the other vendors are selling hybrids. They're nice, but not the real deal (ie. monkey balls, KOS hybrid, etc).

Here's monkey balls, definitely not the real deal DC:
48829309097_76634b42b5_c.jpg

kamyo

Veteran
I've grown the KOS a bit more after making some seeds from a pack of theirs. Although unlikely a pure DC, she's still about as indica as you can get. Looking at various Bubba x DC and even Lapis Mtn Indica, it's probably that or something similar. Packs a mean punch and ridiculous resin.

It would be cool to have DC from Tom for the sake of having it, but in terms of getting a solid Afghani to play around with, it's not a bad thing to have around. Here's a girl from the seed run I did at 8 weeks 11/13:
picture.php

ngakpa

Veteran
I’m not sure if your speaking to my post, but I’d like to further explain my results.

ok, but at the risk of seeming snarky - genuinely not intended -

within the space of two posts we have gone from

"phenos all over the place, autos etc"

to

"subtle differences only evident to someone with decades of experience"

when I say "pinch of salt advisable", that's all I mean

the context is that the other reports I'm getting, including from the grower, is of markedly uniform plants, which is very difficult to square with "glaring hybridization only visible to the initiated"

believe me, the second I start seeing consistent reports of glaringly hybridized plants, I will be the first to let people know

TP-grower

just growing the same genetics one plant under led
the other plant under hps will produce very different leaf flower results

but I have heard many people say that monkey balls are not legit DC
its a shame too cause I have a few lying around myself,,, :(
duped again...

the freak chunk should be 100% DC

im gonna take your word on it :respect:
the x18 and aunt of farouk are next on my todo list of indica bliss :plant grow:

Any links to pics? Would love to see them! It would be exciting if freak chunk is in fact a pure deep chunk, all the other vendors are selling hybrids. They're nice, but not the real deal (ie. monkey balls, KOS hybrid, etc).

Here's monkey balls, definitely not the real deal DC:
View Image
-I ve grown them too (MoBa/HM) and think the same:-nice Phenos(1 realy special Terp Pheno with Mint-Pinementhos+ smell and taste,realy special:D

-But i ve never grown Tom Hills orginal DC

-So maybe the Freak chunk i ve grown was only the same Phenos!?
-So thank you all here for your Info+Expierience :good::tiphat:

browntrout

Veteran
ok, but at the risk of seeming snarky - genuinely not intended -

within the space of two posts we have gone from

"phenos all over the place, autos etc"

to

"subtle differences only evident to someone with decades of experience"

when I say "pinch of salt advisable", that's all I mean

the context is that the other reports I'm getting, including from the grower, is of markedly uniform plants, which is very difficult to square with "glaring hybridization only visible to the initiated"

believe me, the second I start seeing consistent reports of glaringly hybridized plants, I will be the first to let people know

My intent was to be as accurate as possible and not to come off smug, which means looking at it from multiple perspectives.

That’s my findings, that’s it, that’s all. It was evident to me that this was a line I wasn’t going to continue with. However if others don’t feel that way, that’s totally fine. To each their own. I just like to inform the public of my personal findings. I felt I was in a unique position to be able to grow them against another line. Let alone something like more than a pack worth of females of each.

acespicoli

Dedicated students of Indica bloodlines often refer to these varieties as ‘Afghanica’
when speaking of their favourites and as ‘hash plants’
when talking generally of the strains found across India, Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Many Indica-heads prefer their ganja without a trace of Sativa or Skunk,
while some purists will only consume weed or hash that they know to be 100% Cannabis Indica
In years past, the most determined Indica-lovers have journeyed all the way to Pakistan,
then across the Afghan border into ‘hashish country’
— the high reaches of the Hindu Kush between Chitral, Mazar-i-Sharif, down to Kandahar in the south
— in search of pure, unaltered local seeds which might be brought home to grow into the Afghanica of their dreams.

--ss
:D
some of my favorite strains have been "hybrids" (landraces mixed)
send the samples in to phylos.

colinas looks legit
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=2795

Tom Hills Deep Chunk Description

This unique broadleaf from Afghanistan was introduced to Northern California in the latter part of the 1970's.
A fast flowering plant with thick stems, short internodes, and excellent resin production of the highest quality.
The smoke is thick and full-bodied. Flavors range from skunk to Hashy pine, from grapefruit, to chocolate, to coffee.
Deep Chunk breeds true for many traits and has earned a solid reputation as a valuable tool in many breeding programs.
Type: Pure Indica
Flowering Indoor: 56 days
Harvestin Outdoor: September
Yield: low-average

I think its been said the hashplant pheno is 1/100
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=2795&pictureid=34493

spend some time searching those lines

pictures are amazing
thank%20you.gif

Last edited:

Oregonism

Monkeyballs male from hazeman.
Also Purple indica also from hazeman has similar looking phenos :) coincidence?....

Monkey balls has a nice old time afghan theme, but hates PNW weather and doesnt purple. Botrytis is almost certain in late OCT...outside it needs Arizona/new mexico type weather.

Thesearch

FYI to everyone looking, deep chunk packs are being given away with any tom hill seed purchase from the breeder's retail right here on the site. excellent chance to support the site, the man, and the old school genetics of Haze and old landrace indica lines

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is what happened to my last deep chunk.
Fuck was I mad and sad like a teenage girl, I shrieked nooooo smh ha
picture.php

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
oh bro nooooo....i had mine also destroyed by careless staff and power outages along with other irreplaceable moms and dads..well ex careless staff hahaha they got fired after that!

Latest posts

Latest posts