What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

swt #3 soil grow

blackone

Veteran
I think it had something to do with an open window? The infestation doesn't seem to spread to new leaves really, and only the old plants seem to be affected so it's not really spreading to the clones. Perhaps the thrips don't like the climate in the flower room very much? Anyway I won't be doing anything about the flower room since they've already started budding and I would rather have thrips than mold.
The mother/clone box is different - the thrips seem to thrive there so I'll be giving them a soap treatment. I bought a sprayer but it didn't work - last day I bought a new one that's working perfectly. I'll not accept those critters in my mothers and clones for next run, so if the soap won't cut it then it's time for some harder stuff like pyrethrum or neem. If that won't wipe them out either then I'll hit them with nerve agents hehe;p

blAsia

Access to nerve agents, huh, HMmmmm :laughing:

Too bad your not near, I have 3 pints of dyna-gro neem oil... nasty smelling shit IMO... also have the einsteins version also. Used it once on some San Pedro when I grew it, but never of MJ.

Yeah, got to have them go... sorry about the mold.

blackone

Veteran
Just joking about the nerve agents - almost :) I was thinking Malathion - it's an organophosphate like nerve gasses as Tabun and Sarin, but not (that) toxic to humans :) Obviously it's a no-go in the flowering room haha and an absolute last resort if I can't keep my mothers clean.
I don't have mold, yet:) But I'm afraid I might get it if I spray them in flower. But I think the buds are so small now it won't be a problem. Just sprayed my male that was extremely infested by thrips with soapy water tonight. If he doesn't show any ill effects then I'll give the flowering plants a spray too - I'm still worried the thrips might catch up with them when the stretch stops.

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
Day 21 12/12

Day 21 12/12

3 weeks in now and everything is looking ok. The buds are really starting to form and I get visible trichomes. Also the smell is getting stronger - it's definitely sweet and fruity, although I can't really say what it smells like. Still hoping for a pink grapefruit pheno to kick in later ;p

First my plants:

And a budshot :) I don't know if you can see the trichomes in the picture yet? Next time I post I promise it won't be hard :)

Last edited:

xsc

looks good blackone! I've been lurking for a while but I had to give you props for this one, good info and good pics. Can you follow up on the bonsai moms that you started? I'd like to see their progress with some age and day reference, that would be nice and everything looks great, keep it up.

Last edited:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking good Blackone.
Finished one a few weeks ago and trying to reveg it.
Watch out for mould near the end , pruned a lot of leaves of mine for better airflow.
Taken down a little early at 54 days , should have gone 60
It smokes well after a short cure and is like northern lights with an acid aftertaste and a good sativa ish high.
Yield was 80 g in a 7 litre pot in soil no nutes added under moderate lighting levels.
Only thing i dislike is the hard buds and woody stems within them which require a grinder.

blackone

Veteran
Yeah I wouldn't love to see mold in my grow :( Especially since it's starting to look like I'll be having a nice harvest here. Good advice on pruning leaves I think, since I do get a little perspiration where the leaves are overlapping. I'll probably prune them around week 5-6, or whenever I feel the buds are mostly done putting on weight and just need to ripen.

@xsc: yeah I'll be following up on my small moms. I topped them some time ago and the sideshoots are slowly starting to form. Not quite as many as I hoped for but I think it's gonna be ok anyway. I might have a trouble getting enough clones of pheno 1 & 2 - I would rather avoid pheno 3 since it seems to be very nute shy. I'm only giving a light feeding of EC 1.6 and already she showed clawing so I backed it down to 1.4. I'll still be saving the pheno until harvest and smoke reports are in though:) And as I said I might be forced to use her for the next round - I only have 2 weeks left before I have to take clones.
Edit: I see that your first post is in my thread, I'm honored:)

Last edited:
G

evrything looks nice! i got some nice girls out of that mix..............still workin on revegging/cloning one

blackone

Veteran
Thanks man:)
I just ordered some bigger pots for my moms and a pack of seeds that I'll be running alongside my next grow... I'll leave the strain as a surprise but I'll give you a couple of hints: It's also supposed to be a quite high yielding and sweet strain. This particular version is made by a Danish breeder and the previous version was used in one of Wallyduck's C99 crosses. The new release is supposed to finish a little faster.

Any takers? :)

blackone

Veteran
Hmm noone has a clue?
I'll give another hint then. Sweet Tooth is based on Sweet Pink Grapefruit and Blueberry. The name of the new strain I'll be putting in also sounds sweet and pink - I'm a sucker for sweet and fruity smelling stuff. If it also tastes sweet and fruity then it's even better.

So far Sweet Tooth is not disappointing me - it's definitely very very sweet, almost sickeningly sweet like overripe fruit but it also has piney, spicy and lemony hints.

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
Forgot to take pics on day 28.
Things are getting really stinky and sticky in there, and buds are slowly swelling. There are a lot of different aromas coming from those ladies. I don't get the licorice any more - now it's very fruity. I've noticed strawberry and pink bubblegum flavors along with some minty/piney hints. There is also a skunky smell that gets very strong and almost unbearable at times - like rotten fruit perhaps or maybe like something died in there :) I don't sense any grapefuit aroma yet unfortunately but it keeps changing so who knows?

My bonsais are a little slow - I think it's because their box is getting too cold, so I added 2*24W warmwhite cfl in addition to the 4*18W coolwhite flouros.

hazy

Veteran
sweet smelling, piney, lemony, skunky, spicy. that sounds like sweet tooth.
are you going to grow djs? sweet pink grapefruit x blueberry cross?
fed cotton candy, maybe? or is it lui? i guess i don't know what wallyduck used that was sweet and pink.
he did a BB cross.
i give up.

blackone

Veteran
Nope, my next strain will be a bubblegum:) "Enough! Bubbles" from the Danish breeder called "Garden Gangster", or "Eno". I heard that his old version was a 9+ week strain with serious yields, but I think the new one is more indica dominant and with a shorter veg time. Here is a link of a beautiful grow of the old version by Oldsmoker: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=56155. A pic from his grow:
host1.gif

I'm also debating making a new closet. I don't know yet if I'll be going for 250 or 400W, but I'm pretty sure that I'll be running either Satori or a C99 ripoff. I've heard so many good things about Satori and Mandala Seeds in general.

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
Day 31 12/12

Day 31 12/12

I'm having to water my plants every 2 days now instead of every 3 days. The aroma is just geting better and better every day and they do seem to be piling weight on every day.

A pic of my garden from yesterday:

And a couple of budshots from 2 days ago, how much do you think this may yield?

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
not sure on your yield, but those pics are damn sexy. do you know what phenos you have yet? spg, bb?

blackone

Veteran
I don't really know yet.
I haven't smelled any grapefruit from the flowering females, but I did on my vegging male at one point. Other than that I don't have experience with either Sweet Pink Grapefruit or Blueberry so I won't be able to know;p
1 of the phenos - the plant that was a runt originally - is perhaps a little more sativa leaning and more nute shy than the others. It also doesn't seem to be a big yielder but it might just be a question of dialing her in.
The other 3 - especially 2 of them - are yielding more.
Aroma wise they are all very sweet, but one of the 2 highest yielding phenos has started showing me some strawberry. Yesterday the strawberry was very clear, and I would love for it to keep developing like that.

xsc

hello blackone. Excellent progress. What type/mixture of nutes are you using for your flowering stage? PM me if you want, I need 50 posts before I can do it :(

Last edited:
G

gdawg

lookin good blackone! can't wait to pop mine. i'm keepin an eye on ya, let me know what to look for in that keeper, the strawberry sounds good, but i'm really hopin for a blue smeller.

blackone

Veteran
Thanks people, I'm growing in Light Mix from BioBizz. The nutes I'm using is Bio Grow, Bio Bloom and Alga Mic. I forgot to order Top Max, but I might do it for the next grow.
In the start I just followed the directions but because of my nute shy pheno and also because I think it might be a little too much N in general I'm cutting down on Bio Grow now because of my nute shy pheno, but I'm giving a full dose of Bio Bloom.
Only 10 days of feeding left before they'll be put on pure water and everything is really looking nice here. The nute shy pheno has turned out to be a real lemon pheno - yesterday it was more lemon than lemon itself - like a lemon geranium. I sure hope this expression continues to evolve. I don't know about blueberry, since I've never tried that strain.
I've had some trouble uploading pics and it looks like I'm not the only one. I hope I'll be able to upload some in the weekend.

Latest posts

Latest posts