What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

swt #3 soil grow

blackone

Veteran
Hi, this is my first grow thread here on icmag - sorry for the crappy pics as I only have a cellphone for a camera.

Strain is Spice of Life Swt #3 - I was lucky to find 10 seeds "inspected from bulk" as a weekend special on seedbay for $40.

I popped the seeds Aug 3. Unfortunately only 5 germinated and in the start the seedlings had to settle for a couple of spare 2700K cfls. As can clearly be seen on the pics this made them stretch a lot, to the point where I had to add soil around their stems to keep them from falling over:

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
I couldn't live with that so I ordered 4*18 W flourescents - I think they're 4100K.

Group picture:

Right side:

Left side, got myself a runt:

blackone

Veteran
I was adviced that white plastic cups are bad because the roots don't like light so I decided it was time for repotting. They went into 3.5L square containers and already the next day they were thanking me for it - no transplant shock whatsoever.

These pics are a few days after the transplant - looking a lot better right? :)

blackone

Veteran
As I want to start a SOG grow using a 600W lights I need cuttings - so the plants were topped. Some above the 4th node, others above the 5th node. The runt didn't get any special treatment, it was also topped, above the 4th node - It might still be able to surprise me, but if it wants a place in my garden it has to prove itself.

Pictures are from yesterday night, I topped 2 days ago.

A closer look at the new side-shoots:

blackone

Veteran
The plants shown here will not be flowered themselves. Instead I will wait for preflowers and take cuttings for a soil SOG - probably 35* 3.5l pots under a 600W lamp in a 90cm*120cm space. I will also make bonsai mothers (and possibly fathers) to use for subsequent grows. My original idea was to use coco-slabs for the SOG, but as this will be my first HPS grow I think I'll take it slow and gain some experience first.
Right now I'm using Bio Grow from Bio Bizz. The growshop I'm using have the following brands: Advanced Hydroponics, Bio Bizz, Canna and House & Garden. If anyone feels I should choose one of the other brands then I'm all ears, but I've been told by people that they've had good experience with Bio Bizz products.

Gunny

blackone said:
The plants shown here will not be flowered themselves. Instead I will wait for preflowers and take cuttings for a soil SOG - probably 35* 3.5l pots under a 600W lamp in a 90cm*120cm space. I will also make bonsai mothers (and possibly fathers) to use for subsequent grows. My original idea was to use coco-slabs for the SOG, but as this will be my first HPS grow I think I'll take it slow and gain some experience first..

Why not just take cuttings from each plant, label, root, cull and then do your SOG...?

Or.... Perhaps I'm not understanding what you are saying....

J-Roc

hi blak one.. looking great so far man
i dig the light setup.. looks like paralel bars

dont wanna go swingin on a lightsaber though..
keep us in pics please.

blackone

Veteran
Gunny said:
Why not just take cuttings from each plant, label, root, cull and then do your SOG...?

Or.... Perhaps I'm not understanding what you are saying....

As soon as I can take a couple of nice cuttings then I'll do just that. With a little luck I'll have preflowers on my seed plants before they root and won't be needing them for sexing.

I don't have room for both cuttings and seed plants at the same time yet - so when I take my production clones and the clones needed to create permanent mothers the seed plants will have to go - and I need to sex before I take that step so I know how many clones I need from each plant to fill the SOG room - I have space for 60 clones in my cloner, so if I only get 1 female then I'll end up with a maximum of 12 female clones, not enough.

blackone

Veteran
Thanks - the plants right now are at a state where it's hard to see the growth, when in reality it's clearly growing like wild when you compare to older pics. It's just that the growth is distributed on all the small shoots, and also the large fan leaves are getting a lot bigger. It's actually starting to get a little bit crowded now. I'll see if I can get some more pics done this weekend.

G

I grew some sweettooth#3 X Lowrider back when MDanzig busted them out. the one that didnt auto-flower was very stoney and I thought tasted like sweet menthal.

Its got grapefruit crossed in it for refrance, and c99 is crossed in grapfruit.

did great outdoors for Lowriders.

blackone

Veteran
It's based on the sweet pink grapefuit clone and blueberry, backcrossed to sweet pink grapefruit. I don't think that clone has anything to do with Female Seeds' grapefruit?

How much did those crosses yield?

blackone

Veteran
I topped most of the side-shoots yesterday, and I hope the plants will grow a lot of tops fast:)
2 plants had preflowers showing. I can't really see yet but I think they might both be males - I'll probably know in a couple of days.

steve green

/hi Blackone :wave:
nice grow you got started,,ive always wanted to grow sweet tooth. I'll be watching,,u got me wanting to get some of those seeds.The next order i might have to pick them up with some grapfruit diesel mmmm .
can't wait to see how they turn out. GL :joint:

blackone

Veteran
Thanks.
I'm pretty sure now that the 2 preflowering plants are males. But good news is that I had another plant show sex this morning - and there's no doubt there, it's a female:)

steve green

im waiting hopefully until signs of preflowers as well..suckx that 2 are males,,but nice to know you see a female :)
:rasta: Gl using HPS for the first time..you got a great light- 600hps.-.nice.
looking forward to your SOG :wave:

blackone

Veteran
Thanks :) I just removed the large main stalk fan leaves on my males to make more room for the other plants. I don't wanna remove the males quite yet because I might play around with pollen some day - it won't be now tho so I'll be making bonsai males to keep my coming bonsai mothers company.
It's also an experiment to see if it helps on side shoot growth.

Agent 09

I'm interested to see how this grow turns out, I've been eying that sweet #3 on sb for a while, lol. Good luck with your grow blacktone.

blackone

Veteran
Thanks Agent 09 - check the weekend specials and you might get lucky. If not then maybe Swt #1.1 might be interesting, since it's a recreation of sweet tooth using DJ Shorts' blueberry.
I took a couple of clones today so I can sex if I don't get preflowers on my last plants - I hope swt #3 is an easy cloner because I'm eager to start flowering, and I don't have too many clone sites on my one confirmed female unfortunately.

B

British_Bulldog

I recommend topping the SwT#3's, as mold can be a problem with this strain with fat colas.

I grew it back in 2001/2, always topped/fim'd her, and had ventilation on high late in flower.

Peace and have a good one