What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

swt #3 soil grow

blackone

Veteran
Yeah I will. I'll be picking up a new cellphone with a 3.2 megapixel camera soon. The pictures shown are taken using my gf's 2 megapixel cellphone so it should be an improvement.

blackone

Veteran
I just received a nice couple of packages today. A 600W Philips Master Son-T Pia Plus with reflector and ballast, lots of pots, Bio Bizz Light Mix, some Bio Bizz nutes (Forgot to order the Top Max - bummer) and some ventilation.
My order also included a small bottle of clonex, so today I took 24 clones more - hoping they will root much faster than the ones I did without clonex. Only 1 of the old clones has roots now, after 12 days.

So far 6 skunk #1 seeds have sprouted - hoping for some more because I'm probably gonna have males to remove.

With a little luck then I should be able to put some plants in 6L pots in a week or 2. I have 36 pots but I doubt that I'll be able to fill all of them.

Agent 09

what's up blacktone, yeah I actually picked up one of the last packs of swt #3 they had in stock on SB last week. Right now its on route should be here soon, hope it gets through alright. From what I hear swt is a good strain the ones I've seen that were mothered and grown out properly looked fantictic, high was pretty up there too. Maybe some people just got some bad pheno's, I dunno. I'll see how it goes, I just wanted to try it out looked promising.

good luck with the skunk, that's good stuff my buddy gifted me some seeds earlier in the year not sure if they were #1, they were grown outdoors and turned out a lot better than what I orginally thought of skunk. Good luck with your grow. :joint:

Skunk pics

21248DSCF0522-med.jpg

21248shot_2-med.jpg

blackone

Veteran
Thanks, I'm a little bit distressed at the moment because the rooting is a little slow - or I'm just being impatient.
The Skunk #1 seem to be slow starters for me, and I only had 6 germinate out of 10, even though Seedman's skunk is supposed to be top quality, and the seeds looked super nice too. Perhaps it was some old stock from the place where I bought it.

The AK48 cuttings seem to be budding a little, although they have only started rooting. Nothing to do about that - they'll not yield much but anyway I didn't pay anything for those.

I started assembling my growroom this weekend. The black/white foil isn't 100% lightproof unfortunately. It's not a problem for the plants - it'll keep them really dark alright - but it might be a security problem as you can see quite a bit of light from the hps. I also got a shock when I turned on my inline fan - the fan itself is actually surprisingly silent, but the sound of the air is like a jet engine :) Luckily I've got a dimmer, and the fan is 670 m3/h so should have plenty of power so that I can turn it down a little.

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
I see that swt#3 is up again as a weekend special, if anyone is interested in this strain.
Finally my clones (except for the last 24) are rooting. I did lose some though - from the 4 cuts I took more than 14 days ago only 1 survived - it's starting to root now. It seems I might only get 1 Skunk #1 seedling - bummer - and it's super slow. It's still just sitting there with the first set of true leaves and hardly getting any bigger. I think it might have something to do with me leaving a window in the basement open - the night temperatures are getting pretty low now. That might also be the reason why my cloning is a little slow. Another reason could be that BioBizz Light-Mix isn't light enough for sprouting seeds - I definitely won't be using it for that purpose any more.

blackone

Veteran
Well some of the last 24 clones I took have already started rooting :) I guess it'll only be a few days before I see roots on most of them. Either the clonex has worked or it's because I closed the window to make sure they don't get cold when lights are off. It's actually amazing how warm a small room will get from 4*18W flourescents. I'm happy I decided not to use that room for flowering anyway - I wouldn't have had any way of exhausting the room. And there's also a water meter in the room that might get checked so safety wise it isn't a good option.
I have to finish up my bloom box ASAP. All I need now is to hook up the ventilation. I decided on using the chimney first, but I'm thinking it might be too expensive in the winter, since that solution will create negative pressure in the basement and draw in cold air. The other option, venting to and from the room, would require a carbon filter and probably also a silencer and I don't have the budget for that right now. Besides - I'm worried about moisture problems.

blackone

Veteran
Ok, some pics of the almost finished growroom. I'll get some of my plants later.

Doesn't look too big:

But hey, it's a little bigger inside - there's an extra 90 cm in the back:

Got a lamp in there:

Got a mess in there too:

Hooked up the ventilation to suck air close to the reflector:

Pushing it out the chimney (inside the wall)

Bigger picture

More mess and a brick, from the hole in the chimney.

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
Yeah me neither. I want my clones to finish rooting sooooo bad. I move them to cups as I spot roots. The last batch of clones is really taking off faster than the first ones I took. My mothers are getting burnt tips because they're touching the fluoros. Gotta get some work done tomorrow and move them under the hps.

Some plant pictures as promised, here is my box with my 2 males in front along with the clones that haven't rootet yet. Behind them on the cardboard "table" you can see the rooted clones and my sorry ass skunk #1 seedlings. In the far back are my 3 mothers:

Couple of pics of rooted clones and mothers. One of the clones looks like it could use a little nitrogen now but the soil is still moist so it'll have to wait until I water it again.

Rooted cuttings agaín:

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
Today I started up my hps box and put in some of my plants after repotting to 6.5L pots. More will come in the next few days as they get ready for action. This means I'll have plants in different sizes when I flower. Not optimal but I don't think it'll hurt yield too bad, since I can rotate and move the pots and get a stadium effect.

Found myself some velcro tape - "I Grow Chroníc" style:

My light trap:

Hey, the mess is gone!

Here you can see how the room goes back 90 cm:

Group picture of my swt mothers:

Mother #1, with a little burn from touching the flourescents:

Mother #2 - even worse and would have been more if I didn't tie her down:

Mother #3 - this was my runt but now it's picking up speed. It might have good genes after all - I'll see when I flower if it's a genetic runt or if it just had bad luck as a seedling:

Group picture of all of the plants that went under 18/6 hps light today. In the front my 2 males. In the back my 3 mothers and between them 5 established clones. 3 of the clones are from mother #1, while the last 2 are AK48 clones. I repot my clones when their roots are big enough to hold the soil in their cups.

My unrooted clones. Some of them are starting to root, and most have nice bumps so it can't be long. Mother #1 is by far the fastest rooter, while mother #3 is the slowest.

Rooted, but not yet established clones - some of those might be ready for the pots in 1 or 2 days:

Oh no! the mess is back again!!! My gf would kill me if she saw this. But it's all good - I already cleaned it up hehe.

blackone

Veteran
Damn I have thrips. I have suspected it for some time, as this picture shows:

Yesterday I finally found the little buggers crawling around on my leaves. I haven't spotted the larvae yet but I'll take a good look tonight.
I have 3 options: chemical pesticide, pyrethrum or neem. I would prefer using a natural product like neem or pyrethrum. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any spinosad. I might consider using a chemical pesticide on my mothers-to-be - or perhaps hang a piece of flea collar on them.

And there is also something even more scary - one of my gf's upstairs houseplants has spider mites! I'll try and see if I can convince her that it has to go. I think I'll tell her that if it doesn't disappear all of her houseplants will die a horrible death, hehe.

edit - for the diary:
I took 4 clones from each of the 3 mothers yesterday Oct. 8.
I used Clonex and planted them in perlite with a little light mix.
From these clones I'll be creating mothers for my next grow.

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
Not a lot of news. Put a few more clones in the flower room but I still need more before I'll hit the flower switch. I'm thinking these clones might be a little too small for those big pots for a SOG unless I veg them some time first. I don't wanna waste my big light on vegging small clones so next grow I'll be doing a few things in a different way if this grow turns out yielding too little:
1. Take clones in good time and expect at least 14 days to root.
2. Take a lot more clones than I need and select the healthiest clones among the fastest rooters.
3. Give them some more time to veg in smaller pots before throwing under the big light.

17781DSC00055.JPG

Just took a pic of my gf's spider mites. She really does like that plant and I'll be giving it a shot to see if I can kill them. Since this grow is a learning experience I'll take the risk and get some experience fighting bugs.

17781spidermites.JPG

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
I put a few more clones in the flowering room - they're the 3 small ones you can see on the right:

Tomorrow will be the day the last of my clones go to the flowering room.
17781Picture_051.jpg

Notice how light green/yellow the fastest growing clones are getting? I'm thinking it's nitrogen deficiency because I'm using light mix. According to BioBizz it shouldn't be necessary to give them Bio Grow for the first week, but they've been showing the deficiency for some days now already. I couldn't feed before today because I gave them plenty of water when I repotted. Today everybody got a feed of Bio Grow except for the newest plants - I only gave them Root Juice when I repotted. Edit: I gave them a little extra feed later that night with Bio Grow since they could use some more water anyway.

Here is what I have left. The plant in the square container is one of my AK48 clones that I won't flower - I'll keep it as a mother just in case the other AK48 clones turn out better than the Swt. The small cripple is a Skunk#1 seedling - I'll give it a chance remembering how well my Swt#3 runt is growing now.

17781Picture_053.jpg

The clones I took last day - they looked a little droopy the day after I cut them but now they're fresh and healthy. I sprayed them with water again today but I think that was the last time. They have to fight a little but I will keep the cover on a little longer than last time - perhaps 2 days more.

17781Picture_054.jpg

Last edited:

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
where's all the love? blackone has it going on... looks like you got things going well for you except the damn pests. my SOL pack isn't doing too hot, but i hope i get a healthy female #3 out of it. were your seeds super small? mine were very small and barely matured. not the best looking seeds...

blackone

Veteran
Haha thanks lc00p4, I guess they'll come along in the weeks following me hitting the 12/12 switch:) But anyway, I'm also doing this as a grow log so I can go back next time I grow and compare times etc.
Yep, most of my seeds were small and some of them really small. They called it inspected from bulk but it obviously wasn't inspected very well and I only ended up with 5/10 sprouting.
I won't complain though! I got myself 3 females and the seeds were very cheap.
Right now the pests can't keep up with the growing - I can't see the damage getting any worse and the plants don't seem to care but I'll still give them a shot of soapy water. If that won't do the trick then it's gonna be pyrethrum I think, since the pests might be catching up with my plants after the stretch.

blackone

Veteran
Got the room full now with 28 plants: 25 clones and my 3 mother plants that I'll flower also. I think I'll throw these in flower as soon as I see some new growth on the latest clones - perhaps around monday.
17781Picture_001.jpg

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
you're using a 600 right? i will be using one as well in the original hydrohut 4 x 4 x 6.5ft. gonna be interesting to see how this turns out!

blackone

Veteran
Yeah I'm using a 600W light and my room is a little big bigger than that - 120*150 cm = 4X5 feet. But the lighttrap is using some space so the floorspace is more like 4X4

Latest posts

Latest posts