What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with JJScorpio

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
How come cloning has been going on for 1000's of years and now all of a sudden it's an issue.....beyond me?

Happy cloning.

Hay y'all! :tiphat:

Just took my first cuttings for clones, now I got a few questions if I may.

1- Can/will cuttings do well in FoxFarm OF soil for there first grow medium? They were all cut and trimmed correctly, (I think, lol!), and dipped in cloning gel before planting.
2- At the moment I have two trays with humidity domes, 10 clones each, under my 600w MH. I've got 7 plants in 24/24 for another week before they get flipped, the trays are approx 4-5ft away from the light off to the side. Will this hurt them? I'll be moving them under a 4 bulb T5 in a few days as soon as I get the other side of my room together. Temps should run around 75-68 day to night.
3- Once I flip the 7 and figure out and pull the males and there clones I'm wanting to flip the clones ASAP, how long should it take a clone to be ready to flower?

I'm doing this with just mystery seeds/good bag seed, to see if this will work or if I'll need to go out and find plugs etc. I've got good genetics waiting in the wings and don't want screw them up so this is just a learning experiment for me.

Thanks much,
Opinions?

Do NOT use FF OF. Stuffs too hot, even for seeds!

Try promix instead.

J

Javadog

I used FFOF to grow from seeds successfully, but used a small glass when filling
the 3 gallon smart pots to make a small hole in the top of the soil. I filled this with
FF Light Warrior, and placed the germinated seeds into the LW.

I also fed with plain water plus Liquid Karma for the first two or more weeks, to allow
the FFOF work on its own and cool down a tad.

Good luck,

JD

Kushed_

I have taken cuttings (2 days ago), used clonex, and placed them in 16oz. plastic cups filled with a soil mixture, light on the nutes. I have 72 clones in a 10' by 10' room with 25% humidity (today the humidity is low). I have put a humidifier in there. I was wondering what would be the best humidity for my room? I have in the past kept it at 45-50% RH. Does anyone have a different idea on humidity?

joe guy

I'd say 60 to 90 percent rh untill they show roots then 45 or so will work
Just remember vpd it's a killer if they are not ready.. I'm not 100 percent on the
Math but search VPD ( I think it was called vpd a passive plant killer)
I maybe wrong I'm sure a guru will chime in shortly

dedodd

Feminised seed/plant/clone

Feminised seed/plant/clone

So say you get some these fancy Feminised seeds. Can the female plant that grows from a feminised seed be cloned with the same quality the mother plant?

Excellent thread, I'm now looking forward to putting things here into practice.

Well Done!

My grandma would grab cuttings of plants she liked from anywhere and everywhere. Kept a paper towel in her bag always. Seen her snip one from the Dr's office when the girl wasn't looking, wrapped it, went to the bathroom and dampened the towel and back in her bag. She had a 90% success rate with a multitude of different plants doing the same thing every time.

hollywood01

cloning Question

cloning Question

just wondering how much water should i put in my cloning tray and should they (the bottom of the plug ) be siting in water ?

gardener60

JJScorpio I have read that by cutting back also prepares the clones because they do not have roots to feed them anyway. They are feeding on what they have in themselves. All we have to do is place them in a dome and keep the hydrated. That is my 2 cents. Still learning.

Tulku

My favourite thread on IC...the backbone of learning right here, always makes me think of earlier times in my garden, music around that time when I was itching to get the basics nailed down!!
many thanks JJSCORPIO :tiphat:

h.h.

Veteran
I’ve just been snipping off branches and planting them in quart size fabric pots.
I put a little slit in the bottom of the cut.
I just use an old pair of trimming scissors. I used cutters on the last one.
Water them well and let them drain inside a five gallon bucket with a dome over the top.
The bucket goes in the tent under 200w LED.
I vent them daily. Maybe water them.
When they start growing, I take them out of the bucket.
They just keep growing.
Am I doing it wrong?
I seem to have trouble any other way.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I’ve just been snipping off branches and planting them in quart size fabric pots.
I put a little slit in the bottom of the cut.
I just use an old pair of trimming scissors. I used cutters on the last one.
Water them well and let them drain inside a five gallon bucket with a dome over the top.
The bucket goes in the tent under 200w LED.
I vent them daily. Maybe water them.
When they start growing, I take them out of the bucket.
They just keep growing.
Am I doing it wrong?
I seem to have trouble any other way.
Sounds good to me if it's working for you. I'm still looking for mine.

But i have to say, Troutman told me to just put a few cuttings in soil and damn if it isn't working for me so far. Lol

Now, I just clone in dirt

40 DIRT CLONES, NO CLONEX, NO BOTTOM HEAT

View Image

WELL ROOTED AT 14 DAYS

View Image

100% STRIKE RATE

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, which should be respected, what works for some....does not work for others,,,many people laugh at cloning in dirt....so do I, cos I get results.

Stop the agro.

Yep. Kiss works for me.

h.h.

Veteran
Sounds good to me if it's working for you. I'm still looking for mine.

But i have to say, Troutman told me to just put a few cuttings in soil and damn if it isn't working for me so far. Lol

Yep. Kiss works for me.

I give MM credit.
He was using toilet paper rolls with soil.
One of those WTF moments.
I just started planting them.
Haven’t done very many yet, so i’ll see.

I think sitting in a fabric pot sitting in a little water is helping.
Inside the bucket they stay wet enough.
A larger dome holds more moisture in the air..
I have a 5 gallon bucket with a 5 gallon dome.
I don’t know really.
Just making it up and going with what works for me.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Late to the party as always, I just want to offer my own thanks to JJScorpio, for this phenomenal cloning tutorial, whose procedures I am following to the letter. I'll write back with an update in three weeks or less.

PassionForMJ

Still good to see this thread around JJS!

I always used a bubble cloner, a small Rubbermaid tote, black, or painted black to keep light out.
A low watt aquarium heater, something to make collets out if, like a small hose, or a small circular piece of anything that will hold the cutting in place, but be easy to remove.
Rough up inside bottom surface and glue down the heater.
Find an outdoor thermometer with a cord and end that you'd normally put out the window to monitor outdoor temps, and put that in the water..
Put a small airstone in it, keep it bubbling always, and the temp around 75-77F and you should get a very high success rate, I rarely ever lost a cutting..
You can use the rooted clones in soil, or in hydro..
You need no humidity down as long as the water is bubbling...

I wish I still had pics, or the write up on how to build one, I lost it though