What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Palindrome' Flippin LED Tent

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Welcome to my Flippin LED tent, it's been a while since I have been posting.
Been busy smoking, haven't been growing for a bit as I mainly grow for myself and misses.
What I crop in my stacked LED cabinets, lasts me a long time and I don't really need to do more then one or two grows a year.

But then I kinda moved part time to Spain, looking for property for our retirement.
In a few years, the misses can cash in her pension and we will move here more full time.
So this op will unlike what I normaly do, not really be custom build cabinets, automatic feeding and all that.
I will slap what I got with me, what I can find cheap or free and get this running as cheap as possible.

Step one: Start some seeds!
I picked out a few old bags of seeds, and a more recent gift from Serious Seeds with Serious Happines seeds.
The S. Happines is feminised seeds, one time got to be the first to try feminised seeds.

From the old stuff, I picked out some Sour Mango Haze.
Haven't yet tried to grow haze under LED, with the rest of the seeds I started it might be a challange.
The Z99 x C99 im guessing it's Zoidfuel backcrossed twice with C99, the seeds are from Wallyduck.

Finally I sprouted some "G13" seeds, seeds from a friend who have been working on this G13 project for years.
Sure it's not 100% like the clone, but it's pretty stabil and IMO close enough.

Step two: I got a 2nd hand tent (1x1x2m or 3.2x3.2x6.4ft ) and carbon filter from a mate, not sure how used but loads of pin hole light leaks in the tent

The flippin tent

As I don't need a lot of head space, growing with LED's I figured Id get more use of the tent on it's side.
I have a extra bedroom here thats just empty, so the few pin holes in the tent should not matter much in a dark bedroom.
Removed the matress from the bed, and placed the tent on it to lift the tent of the cold tile floor.

Hung a DIY 250W LED light, made from TCI strips (same as I the groffice cabinets) and a 250W Meanwell driver.
And moved the seedling once they where big enough

Once they where tall enough, I topped them all and made one clone of each seedling.
Stuck em in a small plastic box, that I cover with a layer of bubblewrap to keep moisture and block out some light.

The Z99xC99's are struggeling, only 3 sprouted and 2 of thouse sprouts made it but are trailing behind hard.

It's almost been a week, I moved the clones out of the tent and hung 3x HGL XB70 panels.
Adding another 210W of light to the tent, so it's now a total of 460W. I got more light with me, if I will need it.

They still haven't been sexed, once males will be removed the rest will left to fight for the remaining space.
I need to repot the two Z99xC99, but again I figure will remove them once I know their sex and not flower them out this time.

Other info:
Canna Soil
Bio Bizz nutes and rain water

Thats it for now, thanks for stopping by, grab a chair! Popcorn is on me!

KiefRichards

Thats cool, how you hung the lights? I have been think this for outdoors and force plants to flower. Srognet of course and ventilation, thats just crazy idea.
Subbed!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Thats cool, how you hung the lights? I have been think this for outdoors and force plants to flower. Srognet of course and ventilation, thats just crazy idea.
Subbed!

IMO I hung em pretty ghetto hehehe

I used some copper wire, that I picked out of a dumpster. Mounted the strip/alu cooling profile, to some old curting hanger profiles that I cut in size with an anglegrinder.

Very low tech, cheap and yet not the worst solution I could think of.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It doesn't look like 2x1 ?
I'm within a meter using a tent flipped on it's side. It will be interesting to see your results. I actually have 1.4 to play with but it's 80 to the lights. The rest is filter and a bit of space to grow in to, when I bugger it up :)

It's nice you have that space under the bed for runoff. Some hardboard on the slats will give a nice flat surface, and coasters under a few legs would get the water moving to one corner. I did similar, raising my plants on saucers (up-side-down) but had to pump out from such shallow water it didn't get a 3rd run. I didn't have space under the tent as you have.

While you probably have ideas in place, it's certainly set me thinking. Perhaps you would need hardboard (hdf) both under and within the tent. Then a plastic sheet to make a tray. The board in the tent only serving to raise the tray 5mm higher than the drain point. So perhaps that board inside would have a 100mm hole in the corner. So the polythene sheet sagged into it. Where a sink drain was fixed through the lower hardboard sheet.

Really interested to see what you do here. It's a path I have walked and continue along. I may install a shower tray one day :)

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Hiya f-e
You are right, I had to messure the tent again and it's 1.2x2 meters.

So far I have just tipped the run off's, out of the saucer by hand. I have only feed em twice, to start with I only gave them rainwater as I started the seeds in nutrient rich soil and been repotting them. As I will soon do again, to the final pot size.

Not really used to soil, but my buddy here in spain is a soil grower so I hope he will give me pointers if it goes of rail LOL

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Yesterday was the last day of Veg light, switched the timer to 12/12 to give them their first long nights sleep.

Today first day of flower I repotted the most of them, there are two that looks like they have tiny male preflowers.
They where just left in their old pot, as I am 90% sure they will be culled.

Gave them a mild feeding, as there should be a good meal in the new soil.
And for the next feeding, I will start feeding flower nutes.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Clones transplanted 9-10 days after cut, a few of them where showing roots.
The rest should be right behind them

Moved back under the light, and gave them some shade cover with the bubblewrap.
Just for a few days, so the can get used to life outside the plastic box and protect the potential unrooted clones.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Balls are starting to show, first male culled from the group.

G13 #1 seedling and clone, is no more ... :abduct:

3rd day of Flower

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I found the Terra quite good. It's not really soil, as it relies on feeding like hydro. You have done well to make it work on just water. I managed it but had to use a high pH like 6.7 which came down as I transitioned from using it like soil too using it like hydro. You obviously have it figured but it's something people might not expect. The Terra gives a nice flavour. It's peat like, not poo. You just need to put your head in the bag to know what I mean. A bit behind coco yields but more forgiving. Like coco you can use it again as the feed is complete. There didn't seem to be a limit on how many times. Almost like it's inert.

gizmo666

hey palindrome rooms looking good
love your retirement ideas as thats exactly what me and the missus is for doing when i retire
somewhere in southern costa blanca queseda or villa martin
nice house with a solarium for my plants lol
good luck with the grow

Palindrome

King of Schwag
hey palindrome rooms looking good
love your retirement ideas as thats exactly what me and the missus is for doing when i retire
somewhere in southern costa blanca queseda or villa martin
nice house with a solarium for my plants lol
good luck with the grow

Hey Gizmo thanks we will see how much luck I will need for this soil adventure a little im sure :D

Im planing to go a little north of here, the Alicante area is nice but not the landtype I am looking for. I want nature, and from all I have found you need to go to mountains, as every "some what" flat areas have been cultivated for crops.
But west and south is also an option!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I found the Terra quite good. It's not really soil, as it relies on feeding like hydro. You have done well to make it work on just water. I managed it but had to use a high pH like 6.7 which came down as I transitioned from using it like soil too using it like hydro. You obviously have it figured but it's something people might not expect. The Terra gives a nice flavour. It's peat like, not poo. You just need to put your head in the bag to know what I mean. A bit behind coco yields but more forgiving. Like coco you can use it again as the feed is complete. There didn't seem to be a limit on how many times. Almost like it's inert.

I find soil alot more complicated then hydro, but this time I figured I'll just try rainwater, biobizz nutes, not think about pH and hope for the best!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
A few more males have been culled, all of them had rooted nicely.
I estimate all of them have rooted by now, so changed the light cycle to 18/6 and added another strip of light.

5 G13 and 1 Sour Mango Haze males, have been culled in total.
I suspect there is still a male or two, between the G13's but not sure.
So far only one have shown, a female pistil hair and then there is the Serious Happines fems.