What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Here we go again..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Hello brothers and sisters!
This thread is gonna document my next grow!
My previous thread was:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=377193 (Critical Kush Auto from Urban Legends grown under TS1000 Mars Hydro led)
This time we are growing sativas, landrace sativas to be more precise. And we are gonna use a TSW2000 Mars Hydro light, 300W leds.
picture.php

Swazi Rooibard seeds put to pregerminate between paper towels after 12 hours in a water glass:
picture.php

I don't usually do pregermination but these are kinda old seeds so that's the reason I germinated so many of them and tried to give them all the chances to germinate. I have more seeds if this fails, but if I find the germination rate is too low I will also need to make some seeds this run so the genetics are preserved. We'll see about that.
Here is a pic of a bud of swazi redbeard (rooibard) from way back.. when I was just discovering sativas and starting to like them more and more:
picture.php

Everyone is welcome here, grab a chair, let's grow some weed and have fun doing it!
I have no ideea what I'll do, but I'll do it. Still painting the details of the grow. :artist: But.. always good to let the seeds have a headstart, especially when they are so old.

Cuddles

that´s a lot of seeds. what are you gonna do if they all pop? your tent in the photo doesn´t look that large, so do you have more grow space for all the plants?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
@Syd Barrett Thank you man. You got a front row seat.

@unregistered190 Thank you as well. Please enjoy!

@Hold Your Fire Welcome to the thread! :wave:

@Cuddles Hello man. Thanks for the visit as well.
I have more growspace but I don't expect such a good germ rate. I had a test germ before and from 20 or so just 2 showed tail. Ideally, i would need about 3 plants per pot (cause those aren't feminised). I could deal with 8 to 16 plants in those 4 big pots. We'll see how many of them germinate. If not, next germ round i do scarification and very controlled environment condition to give them a slightly better chance.

B

Benny106

Red beard, very nice... A very distinct flower formation, will be watching this one closely! :lurk:

Last edited by a moderator:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
@Cvh Hello and welcome! :wave:

@BeAn v.2.0 Indeed a special looking plant with a great high. Welcome to the party! Grab a seat!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
@Mars Hydro Led I'm not worried the light won't do it. If the TS1000 was good in the space, then the TSW2000 should be great. It's double the wattage so why shouldn't that be good? Haha.
Thank you for taking a seat and watching my grow! Enjoy! :wave:

@sdd420 hopefully you are right. You are more than welcomed to watch the show as well. :wave:

Cuddles

@Cuddles Hello man. Thanks for the visit as well.
I have more growspace but I don't expect such a good germ rate. I had a test germ before and from 20 or so just 2 showed tail. Ideally, i would need about 3 plants per pot (cause those aren't feminised). I could deal with 8 to 16 plants in those 4 big pots. We'll see how many of them germinate. If not, next germ round i do scarification and very controlled environment condition to give them a slightly better chance.
did you pop them into the freezer before germinating them? I´ve always been told that this helps, especially with older seeds.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Have not tried anything more than this so far. If this really fails then yes I might try diferent methods for the 200 or so seeds left. For now i hope i get about the number of plants I need from the seeds I put to germinate. We'll see.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I just checked on the seeds, they are well moisted and sitting at a nice 26C. Hope to see some nice signs of shell cracking in a day or two.

Any sativa growers in here?
I need help with something if any of you has any input on it would be great!
I usually do 12/12 flowering but have heard of varius reduced light programs being used for sativas. Is there any reason to do other flowering schedule than 12/12?

Peace & Puffs to everyone! Have a great weekend! :tiphat:

Alitolla

I have a Tsw2000 in a 4x4 box...usually use to grow 8 plants with lst top and fim techniques..
If i can I sit and enjoy the show

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Still no cracking on the seeds but they did soak a lot of water. I had to moisten the paper towels again. Hope to see good signs till tommorow.
Later.edit: As of now at least 2 have tails out and more are cracked.

@Alitolla thanks for passing by, man. Grab a seat, puff a joint and let's hope they germinate fast so we can start this grow. I am always excited and impatient the first weeks of the grow. Even if there is not much to be done.

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
At first I was worried the germ rate will be slim to none, but I got signs it will get better. I can see at least 5 root tails and more cracked seeds in there.
I added a bit more water today, since they soaked a lot of it during the last 2 days.
Can't wait to put the seedlings into fresh soil and start this adventure. Hoping tommorow is the day!

Alitolla

Still no cracking on the seeds but they did soak a lot of water. I had to moisten the paper towels again. Hope to see good signs till tommorow.
Later.edit: As of now at least 2 have tails out and more are cracked.

@Alitolla thanks for passing by, man. Grab a seat, puff a joint and let's hope they germinate fast so we can start this grow. I am always excited and impatient the first weeks of the grow. Even if there is not much to be done.

At th3 first week im afraid of all...too cold?much water?too dry?....aaaaargh
:tiphat:

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just checked on the seeds, they are well moisted and sitting at a nice 26C. Hope to see some nice signs of shell cracking in a day or two.

Any sativa growers in here?
I need help with something if any of you has any input on it would be great!
I usually do 12/12 flowering but have heard of varius reduced light programs being used for sativas. Is there any reason to do other flowering schedule than 12/12?

Peace & Puffs to everyone! Have a great weekend! :tiphat:
They can flower forever, hence it's often a good idea to put the timer to 11/13 or 10/14 to mimick the shorter daylight duration at a later date in the year. It makes them speed up their flowering so that you can harvest them after 5 not 6 months hahaha.

BTW I've done this with many cultivars and while I don't know all the details, shortening the daytime further than 12/12 brings out some different expressions in plants than under 12/12.
CC